Matrix Opal....my thoughts....at long last!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sweetpea

Registered Shopper
My apologies first of all for taking an absolute age to let you all know what I thought of this ring:8:

I wanted to post an actual photo of the item but having lost my camera battery,to then find said battery and then not being able to find the bloomin' charger unit........means I have no actual real life piccy to show you all.:31:

However,I will carry on regardless.......for those who are not aware of what it is I bought here is the stock photo from the website
265694.jpg

First things first,re delivery......it took a little longer than a week to arrive,so not as long as some have been waiting but not as swift as other companies,that being said they are new so a little latitude from me is afforded to Rocks and Co.

In real life the opal is not as black as it looks in the stock photo,more a greeny black if that makes sense.My suspicions were that stock photos are somewhat enhanced and so it proved in this case.In saying that I do not think it detracts from the stone,but from a personal pov I would have preferred it to be more black.

The sparkly bits,the opal-y bits are like glitter and very pretty,in different lights the green glittery bits shine or blue glittery bits and some red ones too....probably not the most professional way of explaining but it's how it appears to me.

As the first item I received from R&C I was impressed with the quality of the item,the gold work was good,decent weight to the band and I was very impressed with the diamond accents,whilst they are small they are very sparkly which is something not often seen from other places and it was with this in mind that nearly persuaded me to keep the ring,but I have indeed sent it back for a refund.

My reasons for sending it back:
Whilst I like the matrix opal and think it is a worthy piece to have I was not blown away with it,maybe if the sun was shining when I got it and was able to take it outside to let it work it's magic I may have felt different,but that is not the main reason for it's return.
The main thing for me was that I feel it would scratch quite easily,indeed there was a tiny scratch on the stone,hardly noticable in fairness unless you look real close and squint etc,but as I am quite a clumsy person I felt that if I wore it there was a very real chance of me chipping it at some point.

It's fair to say that I wouldn't have worn it everyday,but I know what I am like,I wave me arms about.......a lot!!!!:20:

I think it is a stone best for a pendant....for me anyways,but if you are a careful,dainty person then a ring would be fine,but I still am of the opinion that it could easily scratch.

So,my first dip into R&C is fairly positive,though not wholly succesful.I was also concerned that my invoice was charged at £79.99 and not the £49.99 that I bought for,but having read other threads this has happened to others and they were charged at the correct price despite what the invoice said,so I didn't worry too much.If I had kept it I would have phoned CS to confirm,but as I have returned it I will just check on my statement that the correct price has been charged and refunded.If there is a discrepancy then I will contact them and post here accordingly,I put my trust in them to get it right.....let's see.

As a footnote I did manage to snag a bit of a bargain from them too,a multigem ring in silver for £4!!!!!!:59:

This is staying with me,very pretty indeed,I think I was just watching at the right time(I don't watch often enough to grab many of these bargains).Again a nicely finished quality piece,very sparkly faceted mix of amethyst,peridot,citrine,topaz etc.

Sorry for the long post...............that's if you have managed to read this far before falling asleep!!!!!:20:

Aww Shame hun, but if you dont really love it best to send back and wait for something that blows your socks off! :54:

1240_sleeping.gif
Oops sorry!! Not falling asleep reading your review Sweety just waiting for you to post the bloomin' thing!!

Anyway I totally understand your reasons for returning the ring. I'd be worried too if it was me and now you've given such a good insight of the Matrix Opal and it's possible frailties I think I'll steer clear.

Just one last thing - if socks are an item of underclothes you do wear are you suggesting you don't wear other items of underclothes you hussy!! :Laughing1:

1240_sleeping.gif
Oops sorry!! Not falling asleep reading your review Sweety just waiting for you to post the bloomin' thing!!

Anyway I totally understand your reasons for returning the ring. I'd be worried too if it was me and now you've given such a good insight of the Matrix Opal and it's possible frailties I think I'll steer clear.

Just one last thing - if socks are an item of underclothes you do wear are you suggesting you don't wear other items of underclothes you hussy!! :Laughing1:

Bet she dosent :11::53:

Many thanks Sweetpea for a full and frank review, it made interesting reading. Sounds like you've made the right
decision to return the ring, but its good that there was something in the order that's a keeper.
I've had a couple of the multi-gem rings in silver and they are very nice indeed.

Am still a bit concerned with this company's ongoing problems, with long delivery times and the overpricing on orders...
this in particular hasn't been a one-off as we know from this forum. Do you think you will order from them again
or wait until their IT problems etc are sorted?

Many thanks Sweetpea for a full and frank review, it made interesting reading. Sounds like you've made the right
decision to return the ring, but its good that there was something in the order that's a keeper.
I've had a couple of the multi-gem rings in silver and they are very nice indeed.

Am still a bit concerned with this company's ongoing problems, with long delivery times and the overpricing on orders...
this in particular hasn't been a one-off as we know from this forum. Do you think you will order from them again
or wait until their IT problems etc are sorted?
I think the quality of the items is not in question,it equals and probably betters that of the likes of GTV.

The prices seem fair but the customer service,especially from what others have experienced,certainly needs to be improved.Only being available mon-fri is not good enough imo,especially as items can only be in baskets for 24 hours,you are then a bit stranded if there are problems at the weekend,which will be their busiest time I should imagine,so that is simply not good.Come monday they will then have all the weekend issues to deal with and we know how these things can backlog etc etc.

I do not doubt their commitment,the R&C bigwigs,but if they allow these problems to not be settled in a satisfactory manner from the beginning that can breed a poor repuatation which they will find hard to combat,and I hope that does not happen.

More competition means better prices for us,the punter,but poor service even if the quality is good will mean I wouldn't hang around for long.

I will probably try them in the future though,if I see something I like,but as I don't have sky(I'm with virgin) I can only watch the web feed.The problems this gives for me is that I don't feel i get a true indication of what the pieces look like,ovals look round,the colours are not true and the stock photos are enhanced so it will always seem a bit of a gamble,but I like the ring I kept so all is not bad.:1:

Thank you for the reply Sweetpea and I hope that Gavin will read it also as you have described exactly
the concerns that many of us have with this new enterprise.

Pleased to read your review Sweepea, the ring looks lovely on the website photo, it would have been lovely to see IRL. Sorry to hear you are sending it back, but you are absolutely right to do so if it doesn't set your heart on fire.

Sweetpea, your description of this gem is exactly as I imagined it to be and I know it's not one for me. I like lots of sparkle and faceting for the most part - with the exception of Ammolite which has lots of colourplay - and I hope you find the very thing you are looking for with your next purchase wherever you get it from. x

Thank you for the reply Sweetpea and I hope that Gavin will read it also as you have described exactly
the concerns that many of us have with this new enterprise.

You're absolutely right, Sacha.

Sweetpea, I know what you mean about worrying about an opal ring - the very thing that makes it beautiful also makes it more vulnerable. I've got a lovely little opal that I'm going to have set as a ring (when gold prices drop!!!) and it'll have to be in a protecting bezel setting of some sort - I'm a hand-waver-around too!

Latest posts

Back