In my basket, need some advice to make a decision

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

virginia10thk

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone

I was in the forum before the big bang and then didn't rejoin until today, even though I've been visiting every once in a while.

Anyway I've put 2 paraiba tourmaline rings into my basket and I need to choose just one of them as I can't afford them both.

I would like some advice as to whether they are a good deal at the prices I paid and which one you think is the best.

1st one cost £199:-
http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=643 176

2nd one cost more at £299:-
http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=268 911

Thanking everyone in advance for their input.

Hi I personally think the first one is the better one saw it earlier on today and it looked really lovely, lucky you!

Second! To me paraiba is all about the colour, and the second one looks much more vibrant - of course, that's if the pics are accurate!!! I haven't shopped with this company, so I don't know how good they're likely to be.
And I do think you get what you pay for with this stone, there's a reason it's more expensive and I suspect the colour would be it.

I admit I don't know anything about jewellery (except that I like it! :lol) - but definitely the second one for me.

There will be a reason why it's more expensive and it's probably about quality of the paraiba (you usually get what you pay for) - I also prefer the design.

:biggrin

Purely from a personal point of view....if i was chosing i would go for number 1. AS others have said , lucky lady.

Purely personal... I would go for number 1
Their photography can be hit or miss... Is there anyway you could get them both perhaps on a credit card and keep the one that appeals most and send the other home?

Lx

Number 2 looks like a better colour, but it's really quite hard to tell since I suspect the photos on both Rocks & Co and Gems TV of being colour enhanced.

I agree with what others have said - send for both if your credit card possibly can stand it, and make up your mind when you've seen them in the flesh.

I would go for the first one too but there isn't a lot of difference in gold weight, diamonds or the Paraiba although obviously the first one is slightly bigger, so as others have said it must be to do with the colour that there's £100 difference in price. Hope you love which ever one you pick.

Hiya Virginia, thought I recognised the name.
welcomeback2.png

Its hard to choose because both designs are lovely. In the past on the Gems forum, folks have been generally recommended to get both items, if affordable.

Paraiba Tourmaline is a gemstone which can be particularly enhanced by photos and need to be seen in the flesh.
Even the quality of the accent diamonds can prove variable and can affect your decision.

Did you see Klos' thread on PT's below and Meeshoo's replies on what to look out for? Though they are a fabulous gemstone, the downside is that they rather prone to windowing unfortunately and the colours are often much paler than seen in the link. But its always a good rule of thumb to go for the best colour you can afford. Whichever you choose, I hope its a lovely ring irl. :)

Well to my very unexpert eye I saw both rings on the tv and the colours looked pretty similar.

Problem is I am in Italy and so won't be able to see them until I visit my dad for Xmas, and he won't have any idea of which would be better.

I actually saw the second one over the weekend and I wasn't sure I could afford it so I didn't put it into my basket and I've been glued to the channel for the past few days trying to find a neon blue paraiba in white gold. I couldn't believe my luck when they showed the first one as it looked really pretty on the screen and then when they put the second one on I grabbed that too.

Would I still be able to return one even if they aren't for presents, as I won't see them til Xmas?

Thanks for all the opinions and advice.

Well to my very unexpert eye I saw both rings on the tv and the colours looked pretty similar.

Problem is I am in Italy and so won't be able to see them until I visit my dad for Xmas, and he won't have any idea of which would be better.

I actually saw the second one over the weekend and I wasn't sure I could afford it so I didn't put it into my basket and I've been glued to the channel for the past few days trying to find a neon blue paraiba in white gold. I couldn't believe my luck when they showed the first one as it looked really pretty on the screen and then when they put the second one on I grabbed that too.

Would I still be able to return one even if they aren't for presents, as I won't see them til Xmas?

Thanks for all the opinions and advice.

Hi again, just checked the banner above and it looks as though you have until Jan 7th to return unwanted/unsuitable goods.
Gives you a good time in which to make your decision...if you do go for both initially.

Just a thought, if your Dad is handy with a digital camera, could he take some photos and email them to you?
(Can I be a bit nosey and ask which part of Italy you are in?) :D

Of course you can ask me what part of Italy I'm in, it's a place called Piacenza in Northern Italy.

Thanks for the welcome back, I didn't see your message til after I had posted my last one.

Do you remember me asking for ideas for designing a paraiba pendant for a 4ct trilliant cut stone which I had purchased?

Lucky you Virginia. We weren't too far from you in October, flying to Bergamo and touring Lake Garda and Lago D'Iseo. Fabulous scenery, but found Italian drivers a bit scary! :11:

I do recall you posting before, did you design a pendant for your (enormous) stone?

Welcome back Virginia!

My opinion for what it's worth could easily be predicted by anyone who knows my taste in rings and it would have to be the second one. I am a stickler for symmetry and have never liked pear cuts unless in earrings or a pendant.

For me it's all about the design and even if a stone is spectacular, if I don't like the setting I know I wouldn't wear it so that limits what I will consider buying, just as well really, I've spent enough even with my self-imposed restrictions! :hyper:

If the CC can stand it, do get both for a look to compare, it's the only way to tell which one will make your heart skip a beat and if neither of them do, send 'em both back!

BTW all the channels that say you can return after Christmas do not and frankly cannot know if it's a present or not and IME have never quibbled about any returns I've made up to the extended dates and I doubt R&C will either.

Would love to see pics of them when you do get to see them ;)

Lucky you Virginia. We weren't too far from you in October, flying to Bergamo and touring Lake Garda and Lago D'Iseo. Fabulous scenery, but found Italian drivers a bit scary! :11:

I do recall you posting before, did you design a pendant for your (enormous) stone?

Sorry it is so late I forgot to take the pictures the other day I took three at different distances and on dark and light backgrounds so that you can see my stone.

paraibafurthest.jpg

paraibanearer.jpg

paraibanearest.jpg

Hello Virginia - that's a stunning pendant. I love the colour and think that the trilliant really suits paraiba. The setting really suits it - very clean and simple. My sister has a (smaller!) pendant with this cut and it's lovely - really sings out with all its shimmer (schiller?), whereas pear cuts have been driving us mad over the past couple of years.

omg what a stunning pendant - i love it! you must really adore wearing that, esp in the Italian sunshine. am a big fan of trilliant cut gems, but don't actually have any gemset, only loose.

if you dont mind me asking, how do you come to be living to there? I only ask as I very nearly married an Italian many moons ago!

Latest posts

Back