Window in Paraiba?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Some photos of this afternoon's delivery.
The rubellite is beautiful, a lovely colour and really clear.
I've been looking for an emerald pendant for some time and I do like this, but the diamonds that surround it are so tiny, so am still undecided.
Now for the paraiba - I think it's a pretty ring, but it doesn't blow me away and could someone let me know whether that's a window in it please? I think it might go back because in the past I've always regretted not returning something that I was initially not sure about.
The rubellite makes the whole delivery worthwhile though and I'll certainly look out for some more.

Attachments

• DSCN4263.jpg
    DSCN4263.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN4266.jpg
    DSCN4266.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN4264.jpg
    DSCN4264.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 286
Some photos of this afternoon's delivery.
The rubellite is beautiful, a lovely colour and really clear.
I've been looking for an emerald pendant for some time and I do like this, but the diamonds that surround it are so tiny, so am still undecided.
Now for the paraiba - I think it's a pretty ring, but it doesn't blow me away and could someone let me know whether that's a window in it please? I think it might go back because in the past I've always regretted not returning something that I was initially not sure about.
The rubellite makes the whole delivery worthwhile though and I'll certainly look out for some more.

Not bad colour, but looks like a pretty big window to me, jacqualina.

Try putting something you'll be able to see clearly behind the stone (inside the ring), such as a dark colour or something with writing on. The more you can see through the stone, the bigger the window.

Oh lovely haul Jacqualina. I love Rubellite. I also love the emerald pendant - very classy. As for the Paraiba - I'm no expert and find it difficult to see because of the Tippex bottle - glad you're still putting it to good use - but most of the ones I've seen on TV have look windowed to me which is maybe why the prices are so competitive?

Hi again Jacqualina, you've had a busy day today. mysmilie_1436

The rubellite ring looks a lovely rich colour and also very clear as well. Is it quite a big stone? The Emerald pendant looks very pretty in your photo and the bale looks very decorative also. Although tiny perhaps the diamonds give off a good sparkle? I do like the design....its one I don't have in either ring or pendant. :2:

Hard to tell with the PT on the white background, although the colour round the edges look a nice neon turquoise. When you wear it can you see your skin clearly through the centre? Or try Miss M's suggestion of putting some tiny print behind and see if you can read it undistorted.

Hi Jacqualina

First the bad news - that's one heck of a window (sorry). It's a nice colour but if you're worried about the cut and it doesn't blow you away then you do need to send it back.

Now the good news ....... lovely Emerald (and they're a bugga to photograph and get an accurate photo) but it looks a great colour and as Sacha says, the setting itself looks sparkly so a winner if you ask me!

The only thing I'd say to check with the Rubellite is that it doesn't get a brown tinge under electric light. A true Rubellite will stay a beautiful purple/pink/red and won't have any hint of brown. It does look a good size AND a good colour so I don't think you'll see any brown but I just wanted you to be aware. The most important thing is that it's blown your socks off and and it sounds like you're thrilled which is all that matters!

Nice haulage!

Thanks everybody for your very helpful replies. The paraiba is going back, thanks for the confirmations on the window. I will try the 'see through' test just for fun though. I'll show hubby the emerald tonight when he gets back from his travels, but after all your comments, I think I'll probably keep it as it is very pretty. It has got inclusions, but I think that is acceptable in an emerald if they don't interfere with the overall impression of the stone? (Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong!)
Meesh, it's funny what you said about the rubellite because I was wearing it last night and was admiring it for keeping it's colour so well under electric light (as opposed to tanzanite for example), so I think I've got a winner there, not a hint of brown. Many thanks for the warning though, I didn't know that and will look out for it in any future purchases.

Hi Jacqualina

I'm afraid I agree with everyone about the window in the Paraiba and don't think you would have been happy with it. Apart from the 'see through' test, you can only really see the saturation of colour around the edges of the gemstone (as Sacha said) and you lose the colour in the centre of the stone.

Congratulations for finding a lovely Rubellite. Yours looks like a nice clear gem, which is also hard to find.

Another great find on the Emerald and great colour. I love it (and actually have the same design set with a Siberian Emerald bought from the other channel). Don't worry about the inclusions. It's very rare to find an eye clean Emerald, especially above 1 ct and you'd also expect to pay a premium for these. I remember Gems were selling a loose 1 ct eye clean Emerald a year or so ago for £3750! It's all about the colour (the purer the green the better) and the glow. When you're wearing it, I don't suppose anyone is even going to see the inclusions anyway, unless they have bionic eyesight!

Enjoy your keepers. Note to self; I must get a bottle to Tippex to display my rings - great idea!

Thanks everybody for your very helpful replies. The paraiba is going back, thanks for the confirmations on the window. I will try the 'see through' test just for fun though. I'll show hubby the emerald tonight when he gets back from his travels, but after all your comments, I think I'll probably keep it as it is very pretty. It has got inclusions, but I think that is acceptable in an emerald if they don't interfere with the overall impression of the stone? (Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong!)
Meesh, it's funny what you said about the rubellite because I was wearing it last night and was admiring it for keeping it's colour so well under electric light (as opposed to tanzanite for example), so I think I've got a winner there, not a hint of brown. Many thanks for the warning though, I didn't know that and will look out for it in any future purchases.

Jacqualina - not sure what you mean???? Tanzanite shouldn't lose its colour in electric light?

Just so I don't confuse anybody ........... there are some gemstones that look better during the day such as garnets for example and some that look better at night (think Kunzite) because their colour may appear more intense or vivid. Generally Tanzanite should look good in ALL lighting conditions.

The difference with Rubellite is that a good true Rubellite should be gorgeous rich shades of pink/red/purple. However, pink Tourmalines (which are the same family) will normally show a brown tint in the evening (not always) but my own personal rule of thumb is that if it shows brown it's a pink Tourmaline and if it's Rubellite it won't. That's not wholly accurate but it helps me to judge the difference and whether I've got a good Rubellite or not!!!!

It might be my eyesight Meesh (getting on a bit), but I prefer tanzanite in natural light - everything seems to be more difficult to see in artificial light, even with my glasses on. Maybe kunzite should be the way forward, I've seen some stonkers on Rocks&co, even I couldn't miss those!

Lovely emerald Jacqualina, and a lovely rubellite too! Re Kunzite, yes it's a gorgeous stone but it can (not allways) fade over time. I have a few pieces, little worn and kept in boxes in my cupboard (so in a darker place) that have also faded. Just something to bear in mind. HTH

Thanks Tabs, I have heard of that happening. I only have some small kunzites of not very good colour to start with, so haven't really noticed any fading, but they probably have.

Latest posts

Back