piece number, exclusiveness, uniqueness and individuality?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alupha

Gemz...z.z.z...(drools)
Soz ppl I have kicked this up in the chat quite a few times already in these few days. I must admit that I am loosing faith in Rocks and am VERY peeved.

1. I could understand the bit about similar designs. As designers may take designs to studio and see if you want them.

BUT I remember Sarah B replying a thread here some time before about 1-offs. She mentioned that 1-offs will always be 1-offs. Even if they decided to make more it would either be a different stone or a bit different in design. I think as a company or a designer I can take that as a promise?

YESTERDAY I saw a 1-off alex ring and someone said her daughter has one from Rocks in chat.

TODAY I saw a 1-off ring being auctioned 4 in a row.

WHERE IS YOUR EXCLUSIVENESS, ROCKS? ESPECIALLY WITH 1-OFFS?

2. I could also understand when some production points have problems with IT so no piece number on tag but there is still a piece number on the authenticity card. However, not only the piece numbers are gone on the auth cards, some items don't have tags!

We are PROMISED over and over again, either in clips explaining designs, or presenters doing the auctions, the INDIVIDUALITY and UNIQUENESS of our choice in Rocks. And the only proof that we hold and to know that our piece is UNIQUE is the piece number. Though it would probably lie for the "shown as 1-off" pieces which are not, at least I would know it IS somewhat an exclusive design and I am one of the little group who has it.

As it happened in the chat today someone popped in and suggested would it be possible because Rocks would like to mass produce some more products that are more popular, I would be unassured about the exclusiveness that my piece holds. I have seen pieces said to be 20 being put on, each time at tens or more, and repeated. Even though not all are sold at each auction, if you add up all that are sold they are well over 20. Is that why you want to get rid of the piece number, Rocks?

How, without a piece number, do I know that my piece is one of a LIMITED EDITION of 20 pieces? How do I know it is not 200 pieces? How, to be extreme, could I possibly TRUST you about numbers claimed on production of that design, especially when I have seen the above mentioned happened to 1-offs?

HOW CAN I TRUST YOU ON INDIVIDUALITY AND UNIQUENESS ANYMORE, ROCKS? WE BUY THEM WITH OUR PRODUCT, AND PRIDE IN OUR CHOICE, BUT THEY ARE GIVEN UP FOR "EFFICIENCY". WHAT IS LEFT IN A CHOICE WHEN IT IS NOT INDIVIDUAL AND NOT UNIQUE?

Rocks CS, including delivery service and every other little thing, is FABULOUS but I must say, apart from that, they are letting me down, and is becoming one of the companies with the WORST PR with customers I've ever seen, as I am sure I am not the only one getting upset about this issue. Since promises are broken, this week's basket would be my last haul unless it improves. Rocks is even getting celebs on their side, and so I think would be getting loads of much richer customers. Therefore, I know Rocks would not mind to lose a small and fuzzy customer like me, I've only spend about 1500P on them. Most have spent thousands, I know.

Come on Alupha if you have only spent £15 you can't be too bothered about exclusivity! :33: Kidding aside maybe you meant more and I take your point though. I think we need to know what number of each item is made and sold of the higher range stuff. Too many wild statements are made by presenters on Shopping Telly channels.

I do understand the point you make Alupha,however,I would like to defend Rocks a little bit.
As I understand,in the rush to get the new designs available on the website and ultimately to auction, some mistakes have been made on the input details.We have seen cases of incorrect descriptions etc etc and also incorreect numbers of pieces available.It is easy to say that these things should not happen,but as they are quite a small operation and with them wanting to deliver our demands,it is perhaps understandable that these sort of clerical errors will happen.

I also remember Steve saying that they are trying certain pieces to see if there is any further demand for it,so they may make 1 or 2 and if they prove popular then they may make more.

From my personal pov I do not really care how 'exclusive' my item is tbh,what is important to me is do I like it,but that is me,I appreciate it may be different for others.In fairness I do not have any high end pieces where this may be more important(I assume,perhaps incorrectly) though I do have a one off piece.....a Sarah Bennett honey quartz ring in silver,which is nice that it is a one off but not really an issue.

Come on Alupha if you have only spent £15 you can't be too bothered about exclusivity! :33: Kidding aside maybe you meant more and I take your point though. I think we need to know what number of each item is made and sold of the higher range stuff. Too many wild statements are made by presenters on Shopping Telly channels.

that's 1500 POUNDS jones *LOL

I also have not bought any high end pieces from Rocks, but have made about 40-50 purchases I think. Whilst I like the fact that the pieces were numbered, and details given on the COA, it's not the reason I buy.

If they are not doing this anymore, it won't put me off buying, afterall, where else do I shop that tells me how many of the article have been made, or what number mine is?

I'm happy with all my purchases, delighted with the prices I've paid, impressed with the CS, and as long as it continues, Rocks will have my custom.

:doggie:

I do understand the point you make Alupha,however,I would like to defend Rocks a little bit.
As I understand,in the rush to get the new designs available on the website and ultimately to auction, some mistakes have been made on the input details.We have seen cases of incorrect descriptions etc etc and also incorreect numbers of pieces available.It is easy to say that these things should not happen,but as they are quite a small operation and with them wanting to deliver our demands,it is perhaps understandable that these sort of clerical errors will happen.

I also remember Steve saying that they are trying certain pieces to see if there is any further demand for it,so they may make 1 or 2 and if they prove popular then they may make more.

From my personal pov I do not really care how 'exclusive' my item is tbh,what is important to me is do I like it,but that is me,I appreciate it may be different for others.In fairness I do not have any high end pieces where this may be more important(I assume,perhaps incorrectly) though I do have a one off piece.....a Sarah Bennett honey quartz ring in silver,which is nice that it is a one off but not really an issue.

I also have not bought any high end pieces from Rocks, but have made about 40-50 purchases I think. Whilst I like the fact that the pieces were numbered, and details given on the COA, it's not the reason I buy.

If they are not doing this anymore, it won't put me off buying, afterall, where else do I shop that tells me how many of the article have been made, or what number mine is?

I'm happy with all my purchases, delighted with the prices I've paid, impressed with the CS, and as long as it continues, Rocks will have my custom.

I understand there would be mistakes and also mentioned that "at least I know I would be one of the little group who has it".

I do know that some ppl's pov may not care about that. It is not that I hold it dearly, but as I am giving as pressies and so some chosen because of its limit of product and its quality, like another person mentioned in chat today, have to send it back as the exclusiveness is not guarenteed. It's lost its speciality.

I have a 1 of a 9 ring and that doesn't have piece number too but its tag says 1 of 9 so I'll just let it be coz it's mine, even without a piece number would affect the valuation a bit sometimes. But I keep nagging about the grey pearls set is because it's pressie and that person means so much to me I won't want to give her anything that has lost its uniqueness. You might say that she won't mind. But I do.

The person who gives thinks the person who receives deserves it.

Last edited:
I have a 1 of a 9 ring and that doesn't have piece number too but its tag says 1 of 9 so I'll just let it be coz it's mine, even without a piece number would affect the valuation a bit sometimes. But I keep nagging about the grey pearls set is because it's pressie and that person means so much to me I won't want to give her anything that has lost its uniqueness. You might say that she won't mind. But I do.

The person who gives thinks the person who receives deserves it.

It doesn't matter if 1 item is made or 1000 - the valuation will be the same. Exclusivity doesn't mean an increase in worth. Even high end jewellers, Stephen Webster, Tiffany for example, "mass" produce and their jewellery sells for thousands. A valuation is based on the quality of the piece and how much it would be to remake the exact same piece if it were to be lost. Uniqueness in terms of how many were made doesn't factor into it.

As for the "exclusivity" of designs? Take it all with a pinch of salt. It's like "other" channels saying they make everything in-house when they most definitely don't!!!! Having a tag that says 1 of X number is actually worthless and as you've seen in other threads, you may well see the same design pop up elsewhere. When you buy from any jewellery shopping channel this applies.

Look at it in a different way - each piece IS unique because there are no two natural gemstones in the world that are the same. Buy for their beauty because that's what will be appreciated by others, not how many were made. I'm sure your gifts will be loved by the receivers because you have gone to the trouble of finding something that you think they will adore.

Alu I understand how you feel but I buy because I love the piece and it doesn't matter to me how many are made. I have purchased a lot from rocks. Recently had a few issues with gem stones falling out but their CS is fantastic and I for one will continue to buy from them (well my CC will be a bit upset to hear this!) and lets hope they will start to number the pieces again as this does add a little something when you are giving a piece as a present.

I am sure John/Steve or Sarah will respond to this thread!

I too have bought many items from Rocks and am very pleased with the ones I've kept and am (as always with Steve's companies) very impressed with the CS. Maybe it would be better though, if they stopped talking about the exclusivity and just sell the items as lovely pieces of jewellery. I don't really care how many were made, I just want honest information and trust in the company I am buying from.

Hi Alupha

sorry you seem dissapointed, our aim is to please and nothing else upsets us more when customers are not happy.

I think there are 3 points your raising:

1) Piece numbers on designs - The reason that we are stoppiing doing this is that we are moving the labelling of each item from the UK to our partners, who will do it for us as they produce the jewellery. Currently each "piece number" is inbeded in the bar code, but unfortunately several of our smaller suppliers can not do this with their I. T systems, hence it is a feature we have had to sacrifice in order to make us more efficient.

2) Similar Designs - as i mentioned in a previous post although we design most of our pieces in house, ocassionally if one of our partners has a design that they own the rights too and feel it fits with our range they will demonstrate it too us. If we feel it is right for us and the price is right, we will add it to our collection. Hence occassionally you may find certain pieces similar to others. Also, as we try to produce many designs each month, we do take insiration from others and some designs will therefore appear similar.

3) Several one offs in a row - Many of our designs, if we have only one lead gemstone that is a certsin carat weight and size, then we will make it and call it a "one off", even if there are other designs that are similar in design, but feature a different size gemstone. Obviously, with over 2000 line just introduced, it is impossible for the presenter or the system to know which ones are similar.

Hope this explains everything and appologies for the speling!

regards

Steve

I think we need a little perspective. There are 65 million people in this country and only 1 Rocks TV. Even if Rocks make 1000 of a piece, the chances of meeting someone else with the piece are very slim. Also, if you are concerned about giving a piece to someone as a present, remove the tag and don't give them the authenticity card. The gift receiver doesn't know that the piece is number 1 of 200, and is probably never going to meet anyone else with it anyway. Problem solved!

When it comes to exclusivity, I feel that 10 of the same design distributed amongst the populous of the nation is really tremendously exclusive! Come to that, I feel that 1000 would still be tremendously exclusive when you consider the size of the population! Just because we in the Rocks Chat are a reasonably small communitee and most of us have a large number of the same pieces, real life isn't going to be like that, is it.

I would also like to think any of my friends and family who have received Rocks items as gifts are only going to be concerned with how lovely they are, and how much effort I put in to buying the item.

As you so rightly point out Owl, what are the chances of them bumping in to someone else with the same piece?

I'm delighted to get beautiful jewellery at amazing prices. I would only worry about exclusivity if I'd commissioned a piece (as if!) and then saw half the town wearing my design. So many of the pieces are poles apart from the unoriginal designs sold in the shops and Sheffield Owl has rightly pointed out the chances of meeting another person with the same piece is practically nil.

I've bought a lot in the last few months, almost every piece has drawn compliments and friends have been delighted with the (few) pieces I've parted with.

God, I can't moan at all. Have bought a few lovely bits at fab prices and have been bought some gorgeous pieces too.

Surely when you buy someone a pressie they don't expect it to be one of only a few pieces, I would be more than happy to receive anything off Rocks as a pressie.

I understand from customer services that the decision has been taken not to print how many pieces have been made of a certain item. It is not that someone has forgotton, or a problem with IT. This was a business decision made by Steve Bennett & Co. I have several high end pieces which have been a one off or only a couple have been made, and I am very disapointed that this decision has been taken.

Latest posts

Back