PDA

View Full Version : Product Recall

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
In today's post I got another 5 letters saying that items I'd purchased from GemsTV last year were not 9k yellow gold but were 9k white gold overplated with 9k yellow gold.

Two of the items I've given to people as Christmas presents so can't get those back - what on earth do I do now? Both were 40 plus P&P. http://www.gemstv.co.uk/DataSheet.jsp?productid=110157 I don't think a 10 voucher is going to cut it for this one do you? :eek:

A pair of earrings - these were sent back anyway so no idea why I got a letter. http://www.gemstv.co.uk/DataSheet.jsp?productid=110138

This http://www.gemstv.co.uk/DataSheet.jsp?productid=110153 I wear this and like it alot. It was 88 (plus P&P) and now has to go back. I'm really angry about this one. :mad:

AND THEN,

this one http://www.gemstv.co.uk/DataSheet.jsp?productid=111900 This is a pendant I wear almost daily (when wearing yellow gold). I've even had it valued by Safeguard. There is NO WAY this is going back. No way at all. However, I am not happy that I've bought something that isn't as described. :mad::mad::mad: I'm going to have the gold tested on this to see if the "gold" underneath is white gold or silver, which I strongly suspect.

I've sent an email to the Operations Director - although Gems wouldn't give me her email address and said I had to send it to a CS Operator. How terrible is that???????

Will let you know the outcome but I'm really really really really not happy. :mad:

I wonder how many more letters are in the pipeline?

Nessarose
05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
OMG :eek: Meesh, that's terrible. How can this have happened? I have my suspicions that Gems sometimes buy from other sources, which may explain why it's all similar diamond jewellery in this case. I've not had any letters but I haven't bought any diamonds from gems apart from coloured. ;)

I would definitely hold out for an explanation, I think you deserve to know what has happened and if it's going to involve other items too. As I said on the other thread, how come it's taken so long to find out, if they are from another source, don't they test them before putting them out under their banner?

I think a little Jimmy Choo shopping is in order to calm your nerves. Send Gems the bill! ;)

diamond-lyn
05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Good God Meesh this gets more shocking!!
It looks like they maybe all come from a certain batch as they are similar in design?
Did you buy them all around the same time? How come Safeguard didn't pick up on it? I realize they don't test the gold for a valuation so I guess they wouldn't have. Possibly someone had a repair done on a piece and that brought it to light?

Well they've picked the wrong one to upset ... again! No wonder you're fuming hun.
Let us know as soon as you get a reply ... I'm sure you will!

fluff
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Your anger is totally understandable, Meesh! It's absolutely appalling!

How on earth could this happen?

I wonder how many more of us will be receiving letters ... doubts about 2 white diamond pieces I bought last year are creeping into my head now. I'm sure I won't be alone.

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
All the items were bought around the beginning of October through to December last year so if you've bought any diamond 9k "yellow gold" items at that time you may get a letter.

Actually Safeguard couldn't believe that GemsTV had sold the diamond heart for 100 and commented that they had to be taking a loss on it. However, if the base is silver then I guess they're not.

I'm absolutely spitting blood.

Sacha
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Oh dear, so sorry Meesh to hear about all this. I recall you buying some of these pieces and thinking how very nice they all were. In particular I remember you posting about the lovely heart pendant.

I've just been checking my stuff and I have bought just one pair of earrings, YG with white diamonds (Jan) and a YG pendant with WDs bought last November, which was a gift for my Mum, so I'm not returning that.

If I do get any letters I'll let you know.

Just a thought, I wonder if this will apply to rings as well...I got a 9k YG WD ring in that time frame as well!

Pinkpussycat
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Good grief Meesh :eek: I don't understand why/how this could have happened?? :( Why would Gems have to buy in stock anyway when they bang on and on about how massive they are in the jewellery world?? :confused: It shatters all confidence in a company when something like this happens and casts a huge shadow of doubt over everything they have ever said about their jewellery IMO. I haven't bought anything from them for yonks and don't intend to as my jewellery fetish is over. Are you still prepared to buy from them Meesh after all the problems you've had, and now this?? I hope you get a resolution that you are happy with hon. :PPC:

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Sue - You're right. This is appalling. I guess their only saving grace is that they've owned up (although I have my suspicions that we're only get a portion of the truth). At least they haven't done TJC's norm by denying everything or just ignoring it and hoping it'd go away. They're only offering a refund and your return P&P. No mention of the original P&P which for me, so far, with 5 items is 30!!!!

Sacha - From the letters I've received the items seem to be between item numbers 110136 up to around 110200. Then from 111900 to about 111953. Yellow gold items only. That's me just putting 2 and 2 together but I think I'm on the right lines.

bbelle
05-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I hope you get this resolved successfully Meeshoo. I wonder how many other FMs will be getting letters?
Somebody on the forum who knows about consumer law/protection will doubtless be along to tell you what your rights are in this instance.
I would hate to have to go and tell those you have given gifts to what's going on. Ooohh, the embarrassment.

There were lovely pieces, btw. Shame there is now a horrible big question mark over the metal.

Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
meeshoo you really are having a bad time and i agree its shocking but as you said it seems to be in batches of numbers from them so it could jsut be those people who have bought using them item numbers could be effected

PearlyQueen
05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
This is just awful Meesh - made so much worse if you find it's silver and they've not just mis-sold but lied about it.
Your results will give us a big clue as to what to think about the "new GTV" we've been migrating to recently - the signs are bad so far, with all the web aggro and so many of the old faces jumping ship. They're definitely losing their sparkle, this could tarnish them even further.
I hope we're wrong and they're at least being honest hun, especially as you're so fond of some of the pieces.

Nessarose
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Why would Gems have to buy in stock anyway when they bang on and on about how massive they are in the jewellery world?? :confused: :PPC:

I'm not sure that is the case PPC, I'm just surmising as sometimes details are missing or carat weights only go to one decimal place. It would figure that they may buy up bankrupt stock but surely they would test it all themselves before sale? All speculation of course but perhaps less of a worry for us as buyers if that were the case as at least the items would be more easily traceable. Still not on which ever way you look at it.

Meesh, just out of interest, is it the Gems hallmark on them?

Milly
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi all
Im new on the forum although i have been reading your threads but never had the nerve to join in but when i also had the recall letter from Gemstv today about a pendant i bought in August2007 the item no 110153 i am really upset because i gave this to my niece as a gift because she was emigrating to Australia so there is no way i can return it Wouldnt it be a good gesture as its clearly their mistake to do what QVC would of done and let us keep our goods and have a full refund in order to keep us happy customers which i certainly am not at the moment by the way i paid 99 for it .

mummy bear
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
no wonder your cross id be furious how have they got away with it this long???? No wonder people are losing faith in them.

Nessarose
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Milly and http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/lagansje/smilies/welcome.gif.

I think you've echoed the sentiments of those involved who have given these items as presents in good faith. You can't send them back without a good deal of embarrassment on your part. It's such a shame, you have my sympathy.

fluff
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the forum, Milly!

This is (I hope) the link to your pendant:

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/DataSheet.jsp?productid=110153

Shame your first post is under these circumstances. I'm sorry you're another one who's had the letter .... there's quite a few of us wondering if we are due to get one too. It's bad enough when it's an item you bought for yourself but, somehow, it seems worse when it was bought in good faith to give as a gift.

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Hello Milly and welcome.

I'm so sorry. This has happened to me too and exactly the same pendant. If it's any consolation I've had 5 letters so far today and 2 of the items I've given as presents. It's awful isn't it?

Sending you a ((((hug))))

donna255
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
This is a bleedy disgrace!!!!

I am wondering if someone has complained and they have to own up.

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Just got out the heart pendant:

BC - it's clearly got the DK hallmark and (thankfully) 375. However my understanding of hallmarks is that if this were made for example in Outer Mongolia but Gems bought it and then imported it into the UK it would have to have the DK hallmark - so that's not proof of who made it unfortunately.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd319/Meesh00/Hallmark.jpg

However, look at these photos. Bear in mind, this was supposed to be 9k yellow gold. The inside edge of the pendant is now white (the yellow has worn off) where it's been next to my skin. (A bit difficult to see in the photos the top photo is a bit clearer). The outer edge though is still yellow so it now looks a bit strange. I hadn't noticed it before mainly because I wear it alot. :mad::mad::mad:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd319/Meesh00/InsideEdge.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd319/Meesh00/Outeredge.jpg

Klosblue
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
All the items were bought around the beginning of October through to December last year so if you've bought any diamond 9k "yellow gold" items at that time you may get a letter.

Actually Safeguard couldn't believe that GemsTV had sold the diamond heart for 100 and commented that they had to be taking a loss on it. However, if the base is silver then I guess they're not.

I'm absolutely spitting blood.

What a heck of a time you're having with Gems Meeshoo! The earring fiasco was ridiculous enough without all this too.

What Safeguard said about them taking a loss selling the pendant at 100 smells a bit fishy if you ask me. I would absolutely hate to think they've known about this and hoped to get away with it but if they believed it to be solid gold then why would they sell something like that at "a loss"?

If this becomes public knowledge then I'm afraid their credibility is going to be zilch! OMG all the High Street jewellers are going to love this - I can see it now - all the "I told you so" smugness!

It could be that someone who bought one of these items has contacted them as the plating has worn off meaning they would immediately know the item was not solid gold. Hopefully Gems had it sent back for examination and that's what's brought the whole thing to light. Let's hope this was a one-off outwith their contol and knowledge situation for both their sakes and ours!

Good luck with getting to the bottom of this Meeshoo.

Klosblue
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
:Hiya: Milly and Welcome to the Forum

Sorry it's not in happier circumstances and really sorry to hear you've had a letter too.

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
KB - Safeguard made the comment because the heart contains nearly .44ct of diamonds and the quality (if I remember correctly) was SI1 and above and G in colour and above. She said that she wouldn't be able to source the diamonds and the gold and then make up the pendant for 100 - she couldn't even see how GemsTV with their buying power could do it either.

ksmyth123
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Crikey Meeshoo. Cant believe it. For it to happen once is awful, for it to happen 5 times is just ridiculous. How are we ever going to trust that the goods we are getting are as per the guarantee cards??

Am surprised they haven't had to make an announcement on one of the shows to make sure they cover everyone who has potentially been mis-sold goods.

What happened to their Quality Checking this time???

The worst part is you really loved some of the items and wore them regularly. I would lodge a complaint and see how that goes - they should technically refund you the total cost of the goods plus p&p even if they dont receive the goods back as a goodwill gesture given how good a customer you have been.

Good luck!

Klosblue
05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry Meeshoo I don't think I phrased that correctly. I've just read my post again and it sounds like I'm saying that Safeguard were fishy!

What I meant was that it smells fishy that if they truly believed it was solid gold then why were they taking a loss unless they knew it was plated so weren't taking a loss. I didn't mean what Safeguard said was fishy! I have a great respect for Safeguard. They know what they're talking about so when they said that, in my opinion, they would be 100% correct.

You know I always seem to have the same problem - I know what I mean but nobody else does!! :Thinking2:

Sorry it didn't read the way I meant it but if you had my brain it would have!
:BigHug:

Meeshoo
05-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh KB you do make me :D

I knew exactly what you meant! I just thought I'd elaborate on why Safeguard made the comment - sorry if I confused you hun!

Fishy is a very good word that should be applied to GemsTV in this instance!!!

I really wish somebody would tell me why a company would gold plate a white gold piece!!!

Sacha
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Milly and a warm welcome from me also. We used to have some lovely WELCOME smilies on here, so I'm hoping Graham can re-instate them before too long.

Anyway sorry to hear that you also are affected by this recall business, and your point that if something cannot be physically returned should still be re-imbursed is very reasonable. It would go some way to pouring oil on troubled waters. (Is that a proper saying???)

Tabs
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Meesh, This is truly shocking for you, I hope you get some serious sense out of your contact at Gems. How on earth could Gems let this happen? Where are their "stringent quality controls"?
I can understand a bit if the items were bought in, but another thought is niggling me now....Don't the assay office test the metals before they stamp them? Wouldnt they have to declare if it was "gold plated"? :confused: The other thing is, aren't Gems going to be in a lot of hot water for selling not as advertised? Surely they should have been saying "gold plated" at the time of sale! Shocking, whichever way you look at it..Gems surely know how to put off customers dont they!

wheelyred
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Meesh this is terrible :mad: I have always trusted Gems, but I haven't bought anything for some time, (web site etc) and to be honest I feel that they really are not the company they once were :( I hope that they do sort this out for you, and 10 per item is not really much of an apology :(

Tabs
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Milly and Welcome! Shame you too are having problems with Gems, hope you get it sorted quickly.

peridotjo
05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I think this is really bad.....but can I be a bit dopey and ask...if the hallmark is put on by the assay office, surely this is tested at the time and should have been picked up?? I know not all items are hallmarked, I've discovered a pair of earrings with just 9k stamped on them. I do worry about the gold on both gems and tjc, I recently broke a bracelet bought from the dark side which cannot be repaired as the gold had 'perished' (too much air in the gold at the time of making according to my informant, ends up like aero!!), so now I'm more than apprehensive!!( but on the other hand had a good valuation on a diamond ring - which I'll post later) very strange.:confused:

wheelyred
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi Milly, welcome :) sorry to here that you are having problems as well, I hope that it is sorted out soon :)

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
hi milly and a massive warm welcome to the forum

enjoy your time here

Gemcrazynan
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
hi and welcome milly
hope you enjoy your stay here
can any one tell me if it is only that one pendant that is affected or is it more?

Gemcrazynan
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
hi again
please ignore my question above,as i had missed the other post from meeshoo

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
yes so it could be many items

peridotjo
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Milly and welcome sorry you have had problems , I've also posted on Meesh's thread.I feel very sad that Gems seem to have changed so much recently, its such a shame as it had such a good reputation (and awards ) for its customer service and they were rightly proud. I wonder what the presenters feel about the changes?

Glitzy
06-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Milly and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Glitzy
06-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems Meeshoo.
I work in retail, and it is hard when problems arise to always know what to do for the best and keep everyone happy. Sadly mistakes are made.
I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Oops-a-daisy!
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Oops-a-daisy/SmilieWelcome2.gif to the forum Milly.

Sorry it wasn't on a happier note. I agree that it would have the right thing to do for Gems to have issued a refund rather than recalling every single product. Goodness knows how many have been given away as presents by now! Instead of keeping their loyal customers happy, they're just going to drive them away.

Sammi
06-07-2008, 10:03 AM
hi Milly, welcome to the forum. \o/
Sorry to hear that you've had to post about a less than happy experience.

I don't understand how this mishap can have occurred when the items have all been assayed and hallmarked. This brings into question the issue of hallmarking itself does it not?

As to the letters of recall, top marks to GTV for owning up. However, given the total amounts involved are probably not huge in the scheme of GTV's annual turnover, I rather think that refunds would have been more appropriate and would have ultimately generated more goodwill rather than leaving customers with a quandary and lousy taste in their mouths.

Pimms
06-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Milly, and welcome. Sorry you've had this to worry about - and also Meeshoo and anyone else affected.

I don't understand how this mishap can have occurred when the items have all been assayed and hallmarked. This brings into question the issue of hallmarking itself does it not?

Sammi, I agree with you - and also Tabs and PeridotJo and others who've queried this on other threads. Either the assay office isn't testing, when it should or - or - any suggestions?

Pimms
06-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I read Milly's thread first, so posted on there, but just wanted to add that I think it's awful. I know you've said good for Gems for putting their hands up about this, but how could they do anything less when sooner or later someone was bound to realise what had happened? I agree with everyone who is wondering how this reconciles with the assay office and the questions that have to be asked about the hallmarking of these items.

I do hope this is resolved happily.

Milly
06-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I have just read a thread where Meeshoo said she thought the recall items were from oct-dec i actually bought mine in aug2007 so its taken them 10months to discover this problem and send out a letter the more ive had time to think about this the more im not liking it and im wondering what else is sitting in my jewellery box that might not be what it seems and will we get letters sometime in the future about stuff weve just recently purchased!!

Nessarose
06-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't start worrying too much Milly. I know what has happened has been a big disappointment but we need to find out more. I have no doubt that Meesh will get to the bottom of this so my best advice is to sit tight. In the meantime, fancy sharing some of your purchases with us? I think we could all do with a good drool. ;)

Sammi
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
need a tissue hun?

Milly
07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone
I thought you might be interested in what happened when i phoned cs today about my pendant that is being recalled.I explained that i had given this item as a gift therefore i could'nt send it back .their reply was sorry but we must have the pendant back or there is nothing we can do. I did ask if gems were prepared to offer any other compensation and the answer is no.the attitude was one of like it or lump it so i informed him i would not be buying from Gemstv again as i feel let down and disappointed and he just said well theres nothing else he could do .(so its bye bye gems from me HELLO COLOURED ROCKS)by the way i have bought from Gemstv since Dec 2004 so customer loyalty dos'nt seem to count much at gems it would seem

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
ouch milly it all seems to depend who you talk to in the gems tv towers

Klosblue
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
That's not good Milly but typical of Call Centre culture I'm afraid. The people on the phone are given a blanket response to give out and they just have to go with that unfortunately. If I was you I would be writing in addressing the letter to the Managing Director and asking for a full explanation as to how this happened and what they intend to do to compensate you for mis-selling the item. I would also suggest in the letter that should you receive an unsatisfactory reply or no reply at all then you will be taking this further by contacting Trading Standards. If that doesn't create a reponse then I would actually do that. After all, you will have a Certificate of Authenticity stating what the item should be and now you are told that the item isn't what it's supposed to be!

In my humble opinion, Gems should be making regular announcements about this informing customers of how the situation came about and reassuring everyone that this was a one-off. Otherwise when this gets out, and it will, their reputation will really suffer and there's no doubt if they lose the trust of their viewers their business will really suffer. The sad thing is that if they had handled this correctly and offered the correct compensation then none of this need be happening. I'm sure Meeshoo won't take it lying down!

Good Luck and keep us informed but please don't just accept this.

PearlyQueen
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
That is shockingly bad. I'd be blazing too, and tempted to take it further.
Just a refund as has been offered is bad enough, but with gift items it's not even a possibility.
If anyone from Gems still reads this forum, I suggest you sort it out pronto - times are tough enough without deliberately pissing off your most loyal customers.
The bling trade runs on trust (after all, we don't all have testing equipment in our homes), and this is a great way to lose it.
If it's not white gold underneath, I'd go after the assay office too, can't wait to hear what Meesh finds out about that aspect.
Either way, it's piss poor customer service and I'm not impressed.

Gemcrazynan
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Gems are going from bad to worse
whatever happened to the promise as posted on their website

(Guaranteeing its authenticity and quality, every piece of jewellery that we handcraft is supplied with a GemsTV Promise Certificate.)
promise of what?, that if there is a problem they will do their utmost to get out of doing anything about it

I for one will not be buying anything from them until they have sorted out these problems
to their customers satisfaction and without further delay

Meeshoo
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Do you all remember when GemsTV won awards for their CS?

Remember when Steve would help out when he could and nothing was too much trouble?

Remember when GemsTV walked the extra mile to put things right?

NO MORE!

I emailed the Operations Director, Vanessa Gillgrass, on Saturday after receiving numerous product recall letters. Despite the fact that GemsTV sent the letters out on a Friday so they were delivered on a Saturday WHEN NOBODY IN CS COULD DEAL WITH THE QUERIES WHEN PEOPLE PHONED, you'd think that they would then respond, first thing on Monday, to anything that had come in.

Have I received an email or phone call? NO.

Furious? No. I've gone beyond that. Bl**dy livid is more like it. I will be sorting this out tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Millie hun, trust me, I will not be getting the response that they gave you and I'll let you know what they say. The onus is on them to put this right NOT the customer.

Sammi
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
perhaps they are answering enquiries in the order which they receive them?

Meeshoo
07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm speechless Milly.

So they mess up and then tell you it's your problem if you've given the product as a gift??? Lovely! What a wonderful response.

Not good enough GemsTV. Simply not good enough.

Meeshoo
07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Milly - I apologise - my message above was a separate post but it seems to have been merged with your thread. I am unsure why as nobody bothered to inform me.

Fraggle
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Milly - I apologise - my message above was a separate post but it seems to have been merged with your thread. I am unsure why as nobody bothered to inform me.

Unfortunately we don't have the time to individually inform people every time any of us makes a decision regarding moderating the forum.

In the future perhaps I could suggest that any queries are addressed to the Admin/Mods in a private message rather than flamed all over one particular moderators visitor message board. It's hardly fair on Sazza to be lampooned so publically when she never made the decision and even if she had it wouldn't be the correct approach towards looking for a resolution.

The admin team decided to merge the threads, it is far easier for people to stay informed and get a clear picture of what is going on if all the information is contained in one place rather than spread across a multitude of threads.

Pimms
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone
their reply was sorry but we must have the pendant back or there is nothing we can do. ... the attitude was one of like it or lump it

I don't think they're in a position to say like it or lump it. Even if Gems themselves have been the victim of some kind of scam (because I can't believe the assay office would hallmark these items), the fact is they are the ones that - unknowingly or otherwise - misrepresented these items to their customers and sold them as something substantially other than what they really were. They have the order details as proof of your purchase - they wouldn't have sent you the letter in the first place if they didn't. The fact is you bought a 9k item of jewellery and it's gold plated on silver, and they sold it to you. There must be some sort of alternative solution available if you are unable to return it.

Sacha
07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I said I would let you know if if I got a letter....and I did, this morning. Address was incomplete so delayed delivery. The pendant I referred to earlier in this thread is the item in question (116...), but as I said, it was a Xmas gift for my Mum so I'm not going to ask for it back!! In any case she mostly wears a multi sapphire pendant purchased much earlier so it will have had little use.

Meeshoo
07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Sacha I understand your opinion on this totally.

Like you I'd bought 2 of the items as gifts. When the gold plate wears off, people are going to think I've bought them crap costume jewellery. They won't know that the diamonds are actually diamonds and they might just bin the items. Ok, perhaps I shouldn't worry about that but ....

Also what about the P&P I spent getting the items in the first place? There's no offer to give that back - whether you send the items back to them or not.

I don't think GemsTV stance on "if we don't get the piece back, there's nothing we can do" is a bit black and white. They can easily see that the two pendants I bought were exactly the same and unless my split personality was going to wear one, I don't see why I'd want more than one!!! I would think there'll be others in the same position.

Sorry to hear about your letter hun. Hope your Mum still enjoys her pendant.

M x

Sacha
07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Am I right in thinking that it has just been pendants and earrings so far being recalled?

The pendant was part of a larger order but which also included a 9k YG diamond ring (pour moi), hopefully that then might escape the recall......as I rather like it and wouldn't want to part with it! :o

GemsQueenAngel
07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Just a thought on this...Maybe they will think some people will have sold theirs as some people do and then be refunded for an item you no longer have and cant prove you havent sold??? Just a thought. But all in all seems like they are no better than any other channel out there ,so much for being the best....FGS bring back Steve !!!!!!..

I agree gems has just hit rock bottom imo but i was "just" out of the 10 day mbg by the time they received 2 rings i sent back and they returned them to me and i have had to keep them I never wore them as they are too small and id have to have them resized .PLUS they still had the tags untouched on both rings.I rang and explained the reasoning behind and having problems my end at home but the answer was a TOUGH and NO you have to keep them.!!!!:purplesheep::mad::eek:

1 was a Paraiba and 1 a Tanzanite ring .I guess they really will only learn if everyone that says they are fed up really doesnt buy from them again ,i guess if we do knowing all the shoddy happenings of late i guess we really cant complain.I know i for 1 stopped buying from IW and now i wont be buying from Gems .:(:mad:

Meeshoo
07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Am I right in thinking that it has just been pendants and earrings so far being recalled?

The pendant was part of a larger order but which also included a 9k YG diamond ring (pour moi), hopefully that then might escape the recall......as I rather like it and wouldn't want to part with it! :o

Certainly mine have been Sacha BUT looking at the rings in the items numbers that are close, I have a horrible suspicion that they're involved too. They "look" very samey if you know what I mean. I know I've got a pair of earrings that are on the list but I haven't had a letter yet ...... watch this space!

yazrose
08-07-2008, 08:05 AM
OMG that is a total disgrace Mesh.

I can not believe they are telling you about it now 8 months later, you have every right to be angry.

Have you sent them to be tested? And when do you expect a reply?

I for one will be very interested in what they say about the "gold".

Please let us know soon hun.

yazrose
08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
With people getting letters about this from gemsTV, sometime after the purchase, do you think they are doing it out of kindness or because they were backed into a corner?(mattel toys, Fern Britton etc etc all come to mind along with numerous others)

rebeccab
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Steve A has posted a group on facebook, i dont know if anyone else has seen it, but the job he left gems for hasnt worked out, he is now looking for another job, I say we get a petition going to get him back to gems and sort the mess out, id sign it in a heartbeat

originalmeggie
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Has anyone consulted Trading Standards about this?

Meggie

Graham
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Has anyone consulted Trading Standards about this?

Meggie

I am not sure what Trading Standards would do, IMO GemsTV could not have done anymore, as soon as they found out they ordered a full product recall. The value of The Jewellery is not affected.

I have read posts about gifts to friends, if they are good enough friends to receive a piece of Jewellery from you then I am 100% sure they will understand if you tell them the situation. Say it was a toaster that could blow up being recalled you would have to tell your friend.

Please lets get behind a channel doing the right thing, I have run this site for over 7 years and have seen so many not do the right thing.

Sacha
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Steve A has posted a group on facebook, i dont know if anyone else has seen it, but the job he left gems for hasnt worked out, he is now looking for another job, I say we get a petition going to get him back to gems and sort the mess out, I'd sign it in a heartbeat

So would I Rebecca, we would all love to have Steve back at the helm......but would he want to come back and have to sort out all this mess??

Seems to me there's been a big void since he left - no customer and forum contact from management - no interest shown in their customers concerns and so on.

It just seems that when Steve left all the excellent rapport and goodwill (Gems had with their customers)........went with him! :o

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I am not sure what Trading Standards would do, IMO GemsTV could not have done anymore, as soon as they found out they ordered a full product recall. The value of The Jewellery is not affected.

I have read posts about gifts to friends, if they are good enough friends to receive a piece of Jewellery from you then I am 100% sure they will understand if you tell them the situation. Say it was a toaster that could blow up being recalled you would have to tell your friend.

Please lets get behind a channel doing the right thing, I have run this site for over 7 years and have seen so many not do the right thing.

you acutally have made some good points in that Graham i agree with at least Gems tv are trying to do the right thing when they found out about it

Tia
08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
well, that is awful Meesho! Especially as some of the items were gifts, or you are very fond of them. In case you cannot return items, which I think is the case for many of the unfortunate clients, they should provide a better solution, like half price refund or something similar.
It also depends who is handling your case in CS. I send them an email enquiring a return not been processed, and got 2 replies: one very polite, informing me thay had a backlog (probably all the faux 9k-yellow gold items flowing in), and that the refund will be processed this week, the other email very blunt that they don't have a lot of time ATM, refunds are done after 28 days and that my inquiry is way too early:eek:

rebeccab
08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree sacha but then he does say he enjoys a challenge lol

Graham
08-07-2008, 11:00 AM
So would I Rebecca, we would all love to have Steve back at the helm......but would he want to come back and have to sort out all this mess??

Seems to me there's been a big void since he left - no customer and forum contact from management - no interest shown in their customers concerns and so on.

It just seems that when Steve left all the excellent rapport and goodwill (Gems had with their customers)........went with him! :o

Before the forum crash they did join the forum, sadly like everyone else their membership was lost when we had to rebuild the site.

Yesterday they contacted me to give me details of what was going on and I can assure you that they take comments posted on this forum very seriously. But as I have said in another post, I am not sure what more that they could have done.

Nessarose
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM

I think what has upset most people in all this is that it's taken so long to come to light. If items are hallmarked, surely they have to be tested first before they go on sale? Does this not cast some doubt on the efficiency of the Assay Office and the validity of the hallmark?

How come it's taken 8 months to be discovered? What are the chances of other batches having similar problems that it may take several months to find out? It may be a case of Gems providing more reassurances about all this, what if you hadn't contacted them Graham, would we be any the wiser as they don't seem to want to answer customer queries?

I don't see this as just getting behind a company trying to do the right thing. If they hadn't done the wrong thing in the first place none of this would have happened. This may well be a storm in a teacup but some of us have spent small fortunes with Gems in good faith and it's very disappointing to have that faith rocked.

Graham
08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I think what has upset most people in all this is that it's taken so long to come to light. If items are hallmarked, surely they have to be tested first before they go on sale? Does this not cast some doubt on the efficiency of the Assay Office and the validity of the hallmark?

How come it's taken 8 months to be discovered? What are the chances of other batches having similar problems that it may take several months to find out? It may be a case of Gems providing more reassurances about all this, what if you hadn't contacted them Graham, would we be any the wiser as they don't seem to want to answer customer queries?

I don't see this as just getting behind a company trying to do the right thing. If they hadn't done the wrong thing in the first place none of this would have happened. This may well be a storm in a teacup but some of us have spent small fortunes with Gems in good faith and it's very disappointing to have that faith rocked.

I didn't contact them, they contacted me. It took 8 months as GemsTV were just not aware of the problem till it was brought to their attention by a customer. Then they did IMO the correct thing and ordered a full product recall.

Nessarose
08-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I didn't contact them, they contacted me. It took 8 months as GemsTV were just not aware of the problem till it was brought to their attention by a customer. Then they did IMO the correct thing and ordered a full product recall.

But why wasn't this picked up by the Assay Office Graham?

Pimms
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
But as I have said in another post, I am not sure what more that they could have done.

I agree that it looks as though Gems has been on the receiving end of some underhand business, and to recall the items and give a refund is the right and straightforward thing to do. It seems to me that one sticking point is where people have given the items as presents. I'm not one of the people affected here, so I can only try and imagine what I would do in the same position. I know that I would find it easy to explain the circumstances to some people that I give jewellery to as presents, and could then let them choose to either give it back to me (so that I could return it and get them something else) or keep it if they love it. But I can easily imagine that there are circumstances where this would only cause embarrassment - in those cases return isn't an option, but it doesn't seem right that nothing should be done at all.

It is also a problem (and this applies whether the jewellery was kept or given as a present) that the price of gold has escalated so much since last autumn. Obviously this isn't Gems' fault, but it does affect how easy it will be to find an equivalent replacement with the refund.

originalmeggie
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry Graham,

But I disagree with you. GTV should, at the very least, offer to refund the original P&P. That is where I think Trading Standards would come in.

Meggie

Sazza
08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I know it is not exactly the same but my mum once gave presents, think they were for Christmas to a friends two grandkids. A few months later she got an e-mail from Boots to say that the items she bought were being recalled due to a safety issue and we should return them to the shop for a refund. Mum gave friend a call and told her and she was grateful that mum had told her and she'd get them and return them to Boots.

If you have given an item affected by the Gems recall as a present then perhaps you could contact the person and explain the situation and see if they are happy to keep the item or if they want you to return it.

One other point, surely the Assay Office are at fault here too?

Sacha
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree that it looks as though Gems has been on the receiving end of some underhand business, and to recall the items and give a refund is the right and straightforward thing to do. It seems to me that one sticking point is where people have given the items as presents. I'm not one of the people affected here, so I can only try and imagine what I would do in the same position. I know that I would find it easy to explain the circumstances to some people that I give jewellery to as presents, and could then let them choose to either give it back to me (so that I could return it and get them something else) or keep it if they love it. But I can easily imagine that there are circumstances where this would only cause embarrassment - in those cases return isn't an option, but it doesn't seem right that nothing should be done at all.

It is also a problem (and this applies whether the jewellery was kept or given as a present) that the price of gold has escalated so much since last autumn. Obviously this isn't Gems' fault, but it does affect how easy it will be to find an equivalent replacement with the refund.

Very good point Pimms.

reddwarf
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Hmmm, very suspicious, if they didn't actually know then it concerns me that they sell items they have no true knowledge of its origin or make-up, I'm not convinced that they were unaware, to claim ignorance is an easy excuse.

I would very much like to hear from the customer that informed them, I suspect they personally have made this product recall the only way out.

reddwarf
08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
One other point, surely the Assay Office are at fault here too?

Assuming it was hallmarked at the assay office?? I've bought items from the internet before with fake hallmarks, I was informed by the London assay office that it is pretty common, they can tell if it is genuine or not but it is difficult for the customer to tell apparently.

yazrose
08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
This type of recall happens all the time wether it be jewellery, food, clothes, toys etc etc etc the recall always comes to late in the day when people have already bought them and possibly given them as gifts, it means no-one is checking at the time but instead it is weeks or months later that they are checked and they are put up for sale anyway otherwise this would never happen.

(remember the food scare the other year and all the food was nearly out of date anyway when they gave out the warnings so people had eaten it in good faith, then their was the clothing dye warning and then mattel toys were doing a recall that affected toys going back years)

Graham is right they are doing the right thing.
But is it out of good faith or cause they were backed into a corner?

Tabs
08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Quote from Graham's post

Actually i think this make the whole thing worse!!! IF Gems didnt realise untill it was brought to their attention by a customer, what would have happened otherwise??? Some poor customer sat with a "dodgy gold plated item" which they had paid for in good faith as being 9carat gold not gold plated. I can see that Gems are offering refunds, and yes this is to their credit, but still, it has only come to light after they have been told!!! Sorry Gems, but IMVHO this just isnt good enough, you provide certificates of authenticity, which plainly arent worth the paper they are printed on in the case of the recalled items! What faith are we meant to have in Gems quality control if things like this are allowed to happen???

yazrose
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Good points but who is checking them at GemsTV to make sure they are REAL GOLD before selling them to the public?

If I go to a high street jewellers and get a ring 9ct gold then the gold wears off I am going to blame the jewellers for not checking and selling it to me when it is not 9ct gold at all after all that is their trade and GemsTV are always saying they know all about jewellery and that is their trade also so IMHO it is them who are to blame because they should check that what they are selling is the genuine deal.

Sazza
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Assuming it was hallmarked at the assay office?? I've bought items from the internet before with fake hallmarks, I was informed by the London assay office that it is pretty common, they can tell if it is genuine or not but it is difficult for the customer to tell apparently.

Another good point!!!

Graham
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Quote from Graham's post

Actually i think this make the whole thing worse!!! IF Gems didnt realise untill it was brought to their attention by a customer, what would have happened otherwise??? Some poor customer sat with a "dodgy gold plated item" which they had paid for in good faith as being 9carat gold not gold plated. I can see that Gems are offering refunds, and yes this is to their credit, but still, it has only come to light after they have been told!!! Sorry Gems, but IMVHO this just isnt good enough, you provide certificates of authenticity, which plainly arent worth the paper they are printed on in the case of the recalled items! What faith are we meant to have in Gems quality control if things like this are allowed to happen???

The base metal was Gold, White Gold, it does not affect the value at all.

Graham
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry Graham,

But I disagree with you. GTV should, at the very least, offer to refund the original P&P. That is where I think Trading Standards would come in.

Meggie

GemsTV have no problem refunding the original postage.

The Assay test for Gold, as they were Gold although not Yellow Gold they would have passed.

GemsTV have also had the items independently tested themselves and they came back as Gold.

reddwarf
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
- the signs are bad so far, with all the web aggro and so many of the old faces jumping ship. They're definitely losing their sparkle, this could tarnish them even further.

I can't help it, I'm going to say this and s*d the consequences, I only found this site because I was having troubles with Gems tv, they were horrible to me because I was just one little customer IMO, I couldn't believe how much help all the members of this forum received when they had a problem. Sadly, I did it in the wrong order, had I been a member here first, prior to the issues I raised, I'm sure Gems reply would have been a lot different.

I feel that they have always had a darker side but the personalities they employed always managed to keep everything sweet, neat and tidy to the greater audience. I think the Gems tv plate is wearing off as a whole and we are seeing the base underneath.

Pimms
08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Graham - thanks for clarifying the hallmark point.

fluff
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Let's face it .. it's a mess whichever way you look at it!

I haven't received a letter but I'm not sure if I'll ever feel the same way about Gems again. It'll take an awful lot to restore my faith in the company because it'll always be in the back of my mind that if it happened once it could happen again.

It doesn't matter who's fault it was ... it should never have happened but once Gems were aware of the situation they should have, at the very least, had the courtesy to issue a statement on here explaining the facts and their intentions and before letters were sent out.

Their "take it or lump it" attitude certainly isn't helping either! If a refund is impossible where people can't return an item because it was given as a gift then, maybe, they could be given a Gems voucher for the original amount as a gesture of goodwill.

Obviously such an offer could be open to abuse ... some people could say they gave an item as a gift when they haven't ... but surely Gems is a big enough company to swallow the loss and it might, possibly, go some way to repairing the damage that's been done.

Tabs
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
The base metal was Gold, White Gold, it does not affect the value at all.

Point taken, Thank you, But what sense does it make to Yellow Gold plate over a White Gold item? :confused:

Sacha
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Let's face it .. it's a mess whichever way you look at it!

I haven't received a letter but I'm not sure if I'll ever feel the same way about Gems again. It'll take an awful lot to restore my faith in the company because it'll always be in the back of my mind that if it happened once it could happen again.

It doesn't matter who's fault it was ... it should never have happened but once Gems were aware of the situation they should have, at the very least, had the courtesy to issue a statement on here explaining the facts and their intentions and before letters were sent out.

Their "take it or lump it" attitude certainly isn't helping either! If a refund is impossible where people can't return an item because it was given as a gift then, maybe, they could be given a Gems voucher for the original amount as a gesture of goodwill.
Obviously such an offer could be open to abuse ... some people could say they gave an item as a gift when they haven't ... but surely Gems is a big enough company to swallow the loss and it might, possibly, go some way to repairing the damage that's been done.

I was looking for a 'good post' smiley but couldn't find one. So anyway, good post Fluff.

I've had a word and there are no goodwill gestures (ie vouchers) being made where items can't be returned.........as in my case!
But apparently there are a lot of items involved in this recall.

Graham
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Point taken, Thank you, But what sense does it make to Yellow Gold plate over a White Gold item? :confused:

None at all, no extra profit, which is why I believe that GemsTV did not know about it till it was brought to their attention.

yazrose
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
None at all, no extra profit, which is why I believe that GemsTV did not know about it till it was brought to their attention.

But why did it need to be brought to their attention?, why wasn't anyone checking?

Although they are doing the right thing now by contacting people this does little to comfort customers who buy in good faith, after all jewellery is their trade and they should know to check whether or not it is gold or plated gold on another metal.
I do not believe after such a long length of time that they are doing the recall in good faith I think they have been backed into a corner.

Meeshoo
08-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't know if you've seen a product recall letter but everything in Graham's sticky was in that letter. However, they have NEVER agreed to refund the original P&P in anything that I've been sent. This is not mentioned and I have asked for clarification and been told that it's not (my original phone call to CS on Saturday).

As for asking for the gifts back, one of mine is in Turkey with my sister in law and my Aunt in Austria has the other! There is absolutely no way I'm going to go to the hassle of getting them to post them back to me - not to mention the cost involved!

Yes I agree that GemsTV are doing the right thing but surely they are required to do so by law? Once the original complaint was made and investigated I guess they could have buried it but decided not to which I applaud them for. However, at that point, you have to ask, do they do only what's required under law or do they walk the extra mile to apologise to customers in a proactive and constructive manner that would no doubt win them tons of brownie points that they've been lacking in just recently?

At the end of the day, they're a jewellery business and gold plating over white gold is a fundamental error - not to mention highly highly unusual. If they manufacture everything in house, why wasn't this spotted? How did this get past their QC department?

Tabs
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
It seems to be that Gems are doing the bare minimum to get people off their backs. They are offering a full refund and allegedly some postage costs, original P+P seems to be in question.

If you speak to Trading Standards, where a faulty item is involved TS state quite clearly that the customer "should incur no costs in obtaining a refund". If an item has to be returned by the customer using Royal Mail, the customer has to "suitably package" the item, take it to a Post Office, incur travel costs, parking fee's (if appropriate) time, etc.

None of this appears to be covered by Gems, not even a "goodwill gesture" appears to be forthcoming. Gems are doing the absolute bare minimum, and my instincts say the wouldnt be doing this, if the customer hadnt brought it to their attention.

Milly
08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I was told by the cs person when i asked how this came to light he said a customer took a piece of jewellery to their local jewellers because the gold was peeling off ,my question was why was white gold plated in yellow gold he said it was in the designe of that item of jewellery i also asked if other items were affected he avoided that question by saying it only affected people if they had recived a letter how would any of us know about each others pieces if we did'nt read the forum so you see theres probably loads of people who think there just unfortunate to have a recall letter .lets face it they go on about only a few of this design was ever hand crafted in our own factories bla bla bla and this would make a lovely gift for xmas,valentines,mothers,fathers days etc etc .I had'nt actually thought about their vouchers but that would of been such a good pr thing for them to of done. by the way a friend of mine bought something from a shopping channel that had the wrong gem weight on screen she did'nt know and out of the blue she was sent:confused: a piece of jewellery the same but with the correct gem weight and told she could keep the original one as it was their error now thats good service

yazrose
09-07-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't know if you've seen a product recall letter but everything in Graham's sticky was in that letter. However, they have NEVER agreed to refund the original P&P in anything that I've been sent. This is not mentioned and I have asked for clarification and been told that it's not (my original phone call to CS on Saturday).

As for asking for the gifts back, one of mine is in Turkey with my sister in law and my Aunt in Austria has the other! There is absolutely no way I'm going to go to the hassle of getting them to post them back to me - not to mention the cost involved!

Yes I agree that GemsTV are doing the right thing but surely they are required to do so by law? Once the original complaint was made and investigated I guess they could have buried it but decided not to which I applaud them for. However, at that point, you have to ask, do they do only what's required under law or do they walk the extra mile to apologise to customers in a proactive and constructive manner that would no doubt win them tons of brownie points that they've been lacking in just recently?

At the end of the day, they're a jewellery business and gold plating over white gold is a fundamental error - not to mention highly highly unusual. If they manufacture everything in house, why wasn't this spotted? How did this get past their QC department?

It seems to be that Gems are doing the bare minimum to get people off their backs. They are offering a full refund and allegedly some postage costs, original P+P seems to be in question.

If you speak to Trading Standards, where a faulty item is involved TS state quite clearly that the customer "should incur no costs in obtaining a refund". If an item has to be returned by the customer using Royal Mail, the customer has to "suitably package" the item, take it to a Post Office, incur travel costs, parking fee's (if appropriate) time, etc.

None of this appears to be covered by Gems, not even a "goodwill gesture" appears to be forthcoming. Gems are doing the absolute bare minimum, and my instincts say the wouldnt be doing this, if the customer hadnt brought it to their attention.

This is just what I have said in other posts also.

Are they doing it out of good faith or cause they were backed into a corner? I am rather inclined to say the latter.
And why did it need to be brought to their attention AND why wasn't anyone checking?

I do not care if it is gold over white gold or gold over silver, it stated that the purchase was 9ct yellow gold and that is what should have been sold.
IMHO it is their own fault for not checking and to not even have the decency to offer even a 5% or 10% discount on a next purchase to help their customers recover and go towards some good faith is a disgrace.

originalmeggie
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
GTV are doing what they HAVE to do, that is all. They are not doing what they could/should do.

I would still consult Trading Standards. Certainly the P&P should be paid, but I would find their views on gifts interesting.

Meggie

Hampton
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Right let me first of all apologise beforehand because I know this is not going to sit well with most of you.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. Yes an error has been made - they are attempting to put things right. Does it matter whether it's been brought to their attention by a disgruntled customer or whether they have discovered the error themselves? Fact of the matter is, they have owned up and offered a solution. I would imagine they will now ensure that more stringent checks are made as this must have been a costly mistake.

If they had hushed it up and done nothing, then I would agree its a disgrace. They seem to have made a genuine mistake - if you were previously happy with your other purchases then I would say accept it as a one off and concentrate on the satisfactory transactions which have always delighted you. I know there are many ,as you are all eager to share them when you take delivery of a new bit of sparkle.

I think we can all think of real trauma and worry in everyday life without blowing a gasket over this.

I am now retreating to my bunker.

ps Graham - can we have a "white flag" emoticon please?:D

LoopyLoo
09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Eloquent and sensible as always Hampi :D

Suki
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
OMG I bought a yellow gold diamond ring, pendant and earrings last year. :eek:

No letter so far so fingers crossed. ;)

Hi all, not been around for a long time. Trying to stay on the wagon.

Not ordered anything since March, what with the cr*p web site, less time for stuff to stay in basket and this I think I am cured of my addiction. :D

geminipearl
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I am a new member to this forum and along with a few members am devasted re product code 110158, 9k Diamond 'Y' Gold pendant purchased 13-10-07 49.
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=110158 This was given, along with a Gold chain at @ 24.98 as a very special present. The design blew me away of five hearts entwined, representing a couple and three children. If anything the least I would have expected GemsTV to offer to re-produce the pendant in Yellow Gold on receipt of the original item. This way it would make me feel a lot better. geminipearl.

yazrose
09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
OH no that is quite abit of money to splash out as well and it is very pretty as well.
I know alot of people who have letters and have spent quite abit of money and are understandably hacked off.

Sacha
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum Geminipearl, sorry to hear that you've been affected by this recall business also. That 's a very pretty pendant you gave as a gift.

Out of interest I've just taken a look at the Gems website to see what they currently have in the way of 9k diamond items as there used to be heaps on there. Atm there are 14 items on offer and I see that 11 of them are already sold! Am wondering if these are being bought up by folks who've already returned their recall pieces, got their refunds and are getting these as replacements??

PS Hi Suki, welcome back, nice to see you on here again.

Sammi
10-07-2008, 06:28 AM
hi Geminipearl (great name btw!) and welcome to the forum. hope you love joining in the chat about gems, shopping and all sorts.

sorry to read that you've been affected by the recall. That is such a pretty pendant you purchased and it's sad that it has been "tainted" by some sharp practice. I bet the recipient still loves the pendant though and it's smashing you were able to give something of significance like that.

poor GTV are going to feel the knock on effects of this rogue staff member for quite a while.

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
hi Geminipearl and a massive warm welcome to you

sorry to hear about you got caught in this recall and i hope they sort it out quickly for you

diamonds
10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I had also bought a pair of earrings ..110144 and given as a christmas gift to my sis when i went to U.S ...how do i take it back now ,she will have no faith then:mad:

Hampton
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I had also bought a pair of earrings ..110144 and given as a christmas gift to my sis when i went to U.S ...how do i take it back now ,she will have no faith then:mad:

Personally as it is your sister - I would explain. If she likes the earrings, she won't care either way. If she doesn't like them, then she wont mind you sending them back.

Sazza
10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Personally as it is your sister - I would explain. If she likes the earrings, she won't care either way. If she doesn't like them, then she wont mind you sending them back.

I agree, if it was my sister I would tell her and let her decide if she wanted to keep them or not.

yazrose
10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I to think your sis will understand hun.
I understand that people have lost alot or alittle faith in GemsTV, yes I know there are more important things going on in the world and we have all enjoyed buying lovely items from them BUT whether it is silver plated in gold or white gold plated in y gold the fact remains that people bought 9ct yellow gold NOT plated gold of any sort and some people have spent alot of hard earned money on these items and have bought more than one of the effected batch and possibly given them out as gifts and then for GemsTV to not even have the decency to offer even a 5% discount is a disgrace.

Marble
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm inclined to agree ... they could do a wee bit more as a "sorry". I had a product recall a while ago with t'other side and I got my money back and they sent me a pre-paid envelope to return the goods and gave me a discount against a further purchase of 20%. There wasn't anything I particularly wanted so they gave me the 20% retrospectively against a ring I had bought and sent me a cheque.

I think it's a bit harsh to blame one "rogue" employee though ... a bit far fetched if you ask me because many, many different items are involved. For whatever reason they messed up - and as many people have said it is a bizarre mess up in that they seem to have plated white gold with yellow gold ... that just makes no sense. Am I right in thinking this was brought to light by a customer, and not by Gems' in-house QC? So from an item complained about they have managed to identify a huge batch of different items of jewellery all with the same problem.

cleopatra
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this, I do hope you all manage to get an acceptable conclusion, we really do miss Steve !

Hampton
10-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this, I do hope you all manage to get an acceptable conclusion, we really do miss Steve !

Didn't it happen when Steve was still in control?:confused:

cleopatra
10-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh yes, things still went wrong as they do in all companies and I can only speak for myself, but he was excellent at quickly resolving problems as he did for me on several occasions. Which in turn made you more confident about buying and your custom valued, that's why I'm sorry to read these posts because I do love Gems. Also it sad to hear people are disappointed to return items they love and worried about presents they have given.

Cleopatra

yazrose
11-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Meesho hun any more word on your returns or is it to soon?

Milly
15-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I was wondering if Meeshoo had any more luck than i had about this recall business,did you get any where with gems about if they intend to do anything about your p&p or any other compensation of any kind.

Graham
15-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I was wondering if Meeshoo had any more luck than i had about this recall business,did you get any where with gems about if they intend to do anything about your p&p or any other compensation of any kind.

"GemsTV have no problem refunding the original postage."

geminipearl
15-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Many thanks to Sacha, Sammi and Supercoolwillow for the warm welcome.
Geminipearl

jacqualina
18-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Just got back from my hols and am catching up on the threads. So sorry to hear about your problems Meesh and a very warm welcome to geminipearl!
This is a really odd development for Gems because they always say that their jewellery is made in-house, so how this mistake could have been made is a bit of a mystery.
I think the most upsetting thing is that they are now doing the bare legal minimum to put a wrong right, whereas in the past they would have gone that one step further and left everybody feeling happy and impressed with their customer service.
I can understand that you feel so upset about this Meesh and as for praising Gem's reaction, I really don't understand how anyone can praise a company for complying with the basic legal minimum requirements under the Trade Descriptions Act. I wonder what Steve Bennett must be thinking about what is happening in his old company?

Sammi
18-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Jacqualina, hope you had a good holiday :D

Sacha
18-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Just got back from my hols and am catching up on the threads. So sorry to hear about your problems Meesh and a very warm welcome to geminipearl!
This is a really odd development for Gems because they always say that their jewellery is made in-house, so how this mistake could have been made is a bit of a mystery.
I think the most upsetting thing is that they are now doing the bare legal minimum to put a wrong right, whereas in the past they would have gone that one step further and left everybody feeling happy and impressed with their customer service.
I can understand that you feel so upset about this Meesh and as for praising Gem's reaction, I really don't understand how anyone can praise a company for complying with the basic legal minimum requirements under the Trade Descriptions Act. I wonder what Steve Bennett must be thinking about what is happening in his old company?

And a warm welcome back from me too Jacqualina, hope you've been somewhere nice and sunny! :)

Some very good points you've made in your post and I was just wondering, as Sammi, Lyn and Pepsi all saw Steve B last weekend,
if this subject was mentioned at all?

diamond-lyn
18-07-2008, 12:40 PM
[/B]

I was just wondering, as Sammi, Lyn and Pepsi all saw Steve B last weekend, if this subject was mentioned at all?

Yes Sacha, he said http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/BottomsUp.gif to Gems!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/74a73472.gif

Sacha
18-07-2008, 01:51 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/erja_esko/Smilies/omg.gif

Not quite sure how to answer that! :ANYWORD::ANYWORD: :ANYWORD:

;) Is THIS where you get your smilies from Lyn?? :D

I'll get my coat.............. :ANYWORD:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x46/JessiG_photos/SMILIES.jpg

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
18-07-2008, 02:03 PM
lol lol you ladies are making me chuckle

jacqualina
18-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Sammi and Sacha, yes we had a lovely holiday. Just over too soon as usual, but it's also lovely to be back home and to catch up with all of you. :)

mariek
18-07-2008, 03:13 PM
oh sacha you made me spill my tea!!! funny

Sammi
18-07-2008, 03:36 PM
[/B]

And a warm welcome back from me too Jacqualina, hope you've been somewhere nice and sunny! :)

Some very good points you've made in your post and I was just wondering, as Sammi, Lyn and Pepsi all saw Steve B last weekend,
if this subject was mentioned at all?

our lips are sealed. if we told you, we'd have to kill you!

as for the smiley cartoon - where did you get that picture of me???

Sacha
18-07-2008, 04:41 PM
our lips are sealed. if we told you, we'd have to kill you!

as for the smiley cartoon - where did you get that picture of me???
My lips are sealed Sammi, if I told you I'd have to kill you! http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D Smiles (64).jpg (http://smileyshut.com) http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/ANIMATEDMSN/emot9.gif (http://smileyshut.com)

http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-cat-069.gif (http://smileyshut.com)http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-cat-069.gif (http://smileyshut.com)http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-cat-069.gif (http://smileyshut.com)

peridotjo
18-07-2008, 05:32 PM
:D:D:D You're all mad, but you do make me laugh!!:)

diamond-lyn
18-07-2008, 07:36 PM

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/2291.gif It appears Sacha has discovered our smilie workshop Sammi
Oh well we might as well take advantage of the free advertising & offer them up for sale to you now http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/smil42b1121568fc21.gif

We do 3 sizes ...... http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/t15811.gif

SAMMI SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/comments%20photos/0231.gif

LYN SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/comments%20photos/smiley5531.gif

and FLUFF SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/comments%20photos/small-smiley-0121.gif

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/devilbychoice.gif
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/ws2323-1.pnghttp://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/t15431.gif

Klosblue
18-07-2008, 07:58 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/erja_esko/Smilies/omg.gif
;) Is THIS where you get your smilies from Lyn?? :D

Brilliant! http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Cats-and-Dogs/animal047.gif http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Cats-and-Dogs/animal047.gif http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Cats-and-Dogs/animal047.gif

fluff
19-07-2008, 01:00 PM
We do 3 sizes ...... http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/t15811.gif

SAMMI SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/File%202/0231.gif

LYN SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/File%202/smiley5531.gif

and FLUFF SIZE

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/loobylindylou/File%202/small-smiley-0121.gif

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/help-sos.gif just seen this! How did I miss it? http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/mf_hide.gif

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/dunno.gifyou tell LoobyLyn something one day http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/secret.gif and she tells the world the next day!!

Is nothing sacred? http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/blush03.gif

I guess not!! http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/cougar2400/Smilies/no1.gif

diamond-lyn
19-07-2008, 03:00 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/stupid.gif

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/duh_6b.gif come on Fluffer keep up!

.... small but perfectly formed of course http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/smileysparkle1.gif
.... if smilies had noses at least your prints would have them in the right place http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/autsch01.gif

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/Diamond-Lyn/tea_cup2.gif

Lynda
19-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Glad to see the forum is on form for my belated return!

Sorry to hear about the mess up with the gold, I was going to go and polish like crazy at some pieces that I would have preferred in white gold, buy alas I didn't buy at the right/wrong time.

Hope you all get it sorted to satisfaction but keep up the giggles too please! :)

Pinkpussycat
19-07-2008, 03:13 PM
YAY!!!! Lynda, where have you been?? We were worried about ya. :confused: :PPC:

my_old_mans_a_dustman
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
What happened about all the jewellery in the end?, this thread was like reading a great book but like somebody tore out the last pages meaning you never got to find out the ending:(

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p134/wuzguest2516/The-Neverending-Story.jpg

I hope to all concerned you had a decent outcome.

my_old_mans_a_dustman
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
BUMP Sorry to be so annoying but does anyone know the ending?:(

fluff
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
No, sorry!

PearlyQueen
05-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Sorry, no!

wibblypig
15-09-2008, 01:36 PM
This sort of thing happened to me when i first started shopping here a while back now! I purchased a london blue topas and sterling silver ring which they delivered. I loved it and then about a month later I got a letter saying that i had to send it back because the silver had been found to have too much zinc in it. I ignored the letter thinking they had just realised they sold it too cheap then they rang me. I flatly refused to send it back to which the reply was well we have to give you your money back anyway so that we are not responsible...made it sound like the ring was gonna blow up lol.

anyway they refunded my money including postage and i'm still wearing the ring to this day :-)

yazrose
15-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I wish Meeshoo would come and help us out. Or anyone else involved.

Milly
16-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I dont know if Meeshoo had any more luck than i did with the recall
I decided in the end to keep the pendant i got because i'd given it to my niece for a going away present she moved to australia and i knew she would love it as it was made up of three daisys and it was a reminder of her nan who has sadly now passed on ,who she used to make daisy chains for when she was little a bit soppy i know, but i thought how could i say to her i needed it back for a refund so i hope she dosent really notice if the gold wears off of the back still i dont buy from gems anymore so i have moved on it would be nice to hear from Meeshoo again though what ever the out come