Photos of my Alex ring!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Beading Belle

Registered Shopper
This is not from Rocks but the other channel John and Steve used to be on!!

Unfortunately I cannot capture the red blood colour. I have tried but it just won't!!!

Last edited:
that's a very good one too BH =)
colour change is phenominal =) enjoy!!
I tried to capture mine with the reddish colour too but seems that the red doesn't like the camera (rofl)

But mine doesn't have the bluish colour :34: it's strong deep green, so not a hint of the blue :(

oohhhh, they're beautiful. Wish I had one, but never go anywhere with candlelight to see colour change lol. Any other light make it change ?

that's a very good one too BH =)
colour change is phenominal =) enjoy!!
I tried to capture mine with the reddish colour too but seems that the red doesn't like the camera (rofl)

But mine doesn't have the bluish colour :34: it's strong deep green, so not a hint of the blue :(

Alu mine is deep green too! I think you can see bluey but thats on camera and not to your eyes!

oohhhh, they're beautiful. Wish I had one, but never go anywhere with candlelight to see colour change lol. Any other light make it change ?

Pg I have taken this pictures in normal day light and at night in normal light (bulb)!! If I use the extractor fan light in the kitchen the colour change goes to blood red but can't capture it on camera!!!!!

Pg I have taken this pictures in normal day light and at night in normal light (bulb)!! If I use the extractor fan light in the kitchen the colour change goes to blood red but can't capture it on camera!!!!!

it would look blood red but the pics look purply....that's what happened with mine LOL

Ladies, trying to photograph alexandrite is impossible! For the life of me, I can't capture the daylight colour (which for a good alex will be a deep bottle green). Photographing the colour change is much easier and the camera DOES lie and will show a change even when there isn't one! So, trust your eyes rather than photos. Most sellers photoshop their photos!

If you have a good alex, under any incandescent light (i.e. electric light at night) you'll see purples like an amethyst colour. If you have to mess around with the light to see the colour change you haven't got a good one. It must change effortlessly when you move between light sources. If you look at my Avatar you'll see my best Alex that changes at the drop of a hat and the colour you see in the picture is a true reflection of what I see at night.

Alex's that show a ruby red are very rare and I believe there are only 3 in the world that are known to do that.

By the way, if you see a teal green Alex (i.e. it has more blue tones during the day) it's likely to be Brazilian rather than Indian. Indian and Tanzanian stones have the best daylight colour.

HTH

I'd love a good colour change Alex but i've give up looking, i've send so many back from various places, the money i've spent on p&p is beyond a joke!

Ladies, trying to photograph alexandrite is impossible! For the life of me, I can't capture the daylight colour (which for a good alex will be a deep bottle green). Photographing the colour change is much easier and the camera DOES lie and will show a change even when there isn't one! So, trust your eyes rather than photos. Most sellers photoshop their photos!

If you have a good alex, under any incandescent light (i.e. electric light at night) you'll see purples like an amethyst colour. If you have to mess around with the light to see the colour change you haven't got a good one. It must change effortlessly when you move between light sources. If you look at my Avatar you'll see my best Alex that changes at the drop of a hat and the colour you see in the picture is a true reflection of what I see at night.

Alex's that show a ruby red are very rare and I believe there are only 3 in the world that are known to do that.

By the way, if you see a teal green Alex (i.e. it has more blue tones during the day) it's likely to be Brazilian rather than Indian. Indian and Tanzanian stones have the best daylight colour.

HTH

Mmm...thx Meeshoo...well, mine's a bottle green in the daylight, but doesn't actually change that effortlessly :33: it was under the lamp post when I saw it turns purple :31: and a different lamp post when I saw it turns brownish orangy red, but at night in my room it's a darker bottle green, though it does show flashes of that brownish red or purple :15:

Hiya BH! Prefer to lurk a bit now hun but still around :1: Love seeing the pics of all your new bling! You're going to have to move house soon to store all that lot!!!!

Gemscherub - don't give up hun, one day your Alex will come round the corner on his charger! You know how many I had to see before I ended up the collection I've got - think of a number and quadruple it! :33:

Alupha - if you're not seeing the colour change in all incandescent lights at night time then your Alex is probably one that only changes under extreme soft incandescent lighting i.e. surroundings very dark and very bright light. Some Alex mix their colours and it sounds like yours may be one. Seeing an orange or brown colour change is less valuable on the scale of rating Alex in terms of £s. Some people prefer that colour way but if you're looking for an exceptional alex steer away from any brown, orange or peachy tones. The fact that yours changes is good as you can see from Gemscherub post above, most you see nowadays don't. BTW steer well clear of Ebay as most is synthetic with an excellent colour change but you can only find out they're not natural by sending to a lab.

Here's a photo of one of the most well know Russian Alexandrites. It's owned by Tino Hammid (1.29ct) and is one of the few that is deemed to colour change to red - although I'd like to see this in person because I can still see purple hues in this photograph (but what do I know)!!!!

Alexandrite_1_29ctTinoHammid.jpg

Last edited:
Thank u v.much Meeshoo, i've got an OK start with that then...though not to say good, i understand.

I will always remember what u've said about alex, and lucky i never started looking on ebay. I did posted a thread a bit earlier which I though u might have seen already about my ring.

Thank u again for the advice, will keep looking :1:

Gemscherub - don't give up hun, one day your Alex will come round the corner on his charger! You know how many I had to see before I ended up the collection I've got - think of a number and quadruple it! :33:

Thanks hun i hope so! but as you say with all the lab created ones around its knowing who to trust! one day lol

Hi all , Good to see you again meeshoo. I just wanted to add im not very keen on alexandrite however i did purchase a pair of earrings from the place steve used to be and they are very pretty five very small stones in the drop of each they are a very light green so not a great alex example however in softer light of the evening they change to purple without the slightest fuss so i decided to keep them and i get so many comments on them. Mags

This section of the forum has so many threads I didn't want to start another one. So, as the theme is the same, I bumped this up to add photographs of the alexandrite ring I received this afternoon.

As Meeshoo has said previously, it is very hard to capture the true colour in a photograph but I've had a go anyway!

The ring is a deep bottle green in natural daylight and I've yet to see it at night! I closed the curtains and switched on some lights to try to photograph it in incandescent light.

I'll try to take some better (and more in focus!) photos later!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back