Rare Rare Rare

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

M

Meeshoo

Guest Shopper
Apparently EVERYTHING that Rocks and Co are selling is "rare, rare, rare" according to Paul Bridges e.g.

Trilliant cuts for Tanzanite :12:
Chalcedony :24:
Paraiba Tourmaline :55:
Tanzanite :18:
Ruby from Madagascar :33:

That was within the space of 5 minutes. I gave up counting from the start of the hour.

Just rushed to look at my collection and guess what? It's rare, rare, rare! Fanblingingtastic!

Paul was equally useless on Gems.

All I can ask is....

deargodstop.jpg

Oh Broomie, that did make me chuckle!

Apparently, red sapphires are rare now! Yes Paul. That'd be because if a sapphire is red it's a Ruby. :54:

It's also "rare" to see Tanzanites of around 4ct now! Crikey, Rocks and Co have only had about 6 on today! Woohoo! Rare indeed!

OMG drivel by the bucket load!

Last edited:
Apparently, red sapphires are rare now! Yes Paul. That'd be because if a sapphire is red it's a Ruby. :54:

Why did he call it a red sapphire? Is there some criteria which makes a red sapphire a ruby or was he just trying to blind us with BS?

Why did he call it a red sapphire? Is there some criteria which makes a red sapphire a ruby or was he just trying to blind us with BS?

LOL Calico

Actually there is absolutely no defining criteria as to when a sapphire becomes a Ruby! Amazing isn't it? In this world of preciseness there is some woolliness! The difference between a Sapphire and Ruby (because both are corundum) is colour and colour alone. There are lots of articles written about this but still no definitive set standard.

Very generally speaking, if a Sapphire is red (a traditional blood red, not the pink red you see nowadays) it is a Ruby. Rubies are red - not pink. If there are strong hues or tones of pink then the Sapphire should be called a Sapphire. However, you do now see some very pink Rubies being sold which is very confusing.

As there is no distinct set criteria applied worldwide (for example like for Diamonds) "X is the colour a Ruby should be" or "Y is the colour a Sapphire should be" you need to use your eyes and to a certain extent trust the seller.

However, as you can see from the above calling a Sapphire red is daft!

This is an article you may find interesting written by Richard Hughes (one of the foremost authorities on rubies and sapphires). He's actually now working for one of the gems shopping channels but it's probably not appropriate to say which.

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm

He's actually now working for one of the gems shopping channels but it's probably not appropriate to say which.

:33: I wonder which GEMS channel that is then????

WooHoo, I've got some rare, rare, rare, jewellery too :dance:

:doggie:

This kind of sell is very unfair to "novice buyers", most of us know when something is rare or not, not so for the people who know little about gemstones and a "encouraged" to buy because they are told something is "rare rare rare" and they like it!

Latest posts

Back