Did anyone try the VEGGIE tofu yet?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Irishbliss

Registered Shopper
Hi,

A week or so ago we had a post about the veggie range on QVC, not planning on getting it but as a vegetarian I was just interested to see how those who bought it thought of it?

There is so much bad press about tofu that I am surprised anybody eats it.

Really? I hadn't realised... What are the 'charges' against tofu? I haven't tried it as it looks unappealing, but I had welcomed Irishbliss' post as I am kind of intrigued, and I also thought tofu was good for you?:confused:

Really? I hadn't realised... What are the 'charges' against tofu? I haven't tried it as it looks unappealing, but I had welcomed Irishbliss' post as I am kind of intrigued, and I also thought tofu was good for you?:confused:

Perhaps it's a reference to this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

I've stopped listening to the experts though. One week some food or drink is good for you, the next it's bad, the next it's good again. So now I just go along with the 'everything in moderation' crowd. Except when it comes to cheesecake - you can never have too much cheesecake.

Very interesting, ms_melly, thanks for posting the link. It seems to me that the scientific evidence is just not complete enough, so this has not put me off trying tofu, if I get the chance. I think you are absolutely right in your food philosophy. I am sure that if 'proper' scientific research was carried out into the matter, scientists would find that carrot cake is a very powerful 'superfood' over and above guji beans:D

Doesnt put me off Tofu, I love it and have lost a fair bit of weight by substituting it into my diet.
And, if the 'research' is to believed, if it does have that effect, then I'll just forget to buy it anyway! :D

Doesnt put me off Tofu, I love it and have lost a fair bit of weight by substituting it into my diet.
And, if the 'research' is to believed, if it does have that effect, then I'll just forget to buy it anyway! :D

Good point Choppysocks! How do you have tofu? I would love to try it, but I'm not sure what I can do with it. Can you cook with it? Say, could I add it to a veggie curry? TIA!

Good point Choppysocks! How do you have tofu? I would love to try it, but I'm not sure what I can do with it. Can you cook with it? Say, could I add it to a veggie curry? TIA!

I buy the fresh stuff, mainly the one that Claudren do (sainsburys, morrisons and Asda all have it).

I tend to put it in stir frys. I marinade it first (try this: 3 tblsp light soy sauce, 3 tblsp sesame oil, 1 tblsp lemon juice, bit of ginger, 2 chopped spring onions, chopped chilli to your taste and garlic to taste) leave it for around half hour - one hour in the marinade, then take it out of the marinade and stir fry to seal it, then add the other ingrediant of your choice (mange tout, baby sweetcorn, water chestnuts, peppers, anything!) then at the last moment, add in the remaining marinade. lovey with rice or noodles.

I also use it in curries, same thing, fry to seal it (can use fry light to save on calories) and then add to whatever curry you are making.

Most tofu does not have any real flavour of its own, so using it with a sauce or marinade is a really good idea. Its also lovely in sweet and sour. You can get a smoked tofu which does have some flavour of its own.

gawd, there's always something you shouldn't be eating, taking, washing with - I agree with Ms Melly, everything in moderation ... but chocolate rather than cheesecake. I like to think of it this way - chocolate comes from the cocoa bean, bean = vegetable. I try not to eat 5 a day however :D

Choppysocks, thank you so much for your extensive reply! Your suggestions sound completely yummy, I have printed them out and I shall try them next time I'm foodshopping, I'm feeling really hungry now!! Thank you so much!:)

Osteoporosis runs in my family, therefore I need lots of calcium, therefore I must eat cheesecake. I think you'll agree this is reasonable logic.

Sillysausage - I'm vegetarian, but have never really grown to love tofu because, as choppysocks says, it has no flavour of it's own, just texture. So the advice to marinate it first is very wise.

The only time I've actually found it yummy was at a restaurant in Walt Disney World where they roll it in coconut and fry it and then add it to a noodle dish. Mmmmmm.....

Osteoporosis runs in my family, therefore I need lots of calcium, therefore I must eat cheesecake. I think you'll agree this is reasonable logic.

Sillysausage - I'm vegetarian, but have never really grown to love tofu because, as choppysocks says, it has no flavour of it's own, just texture. So the advice to marinate it first is very wise.

The only time I've actually found it yummy was at a restaurant in Walt Disney World where they roll it in coconut and fry it and then add it to a noodle dish. Mmmmmm.....

Ms_Melly, this is reasonable logic indeed, in fact I think there is an argument to be made in favour of cheesecake being made freely available on the NHS, as a preventative measure, you see...

Your coconut tofu idea has made my mouth water. I'm not a veggie as such, although I don't eat much meat at all, I actually prefer vegetarian options and find I feel better when I eat more veggie and less meat. Hence my fascination with tofu. I shall definitely try Choppysocks' marinade recipe...

I eat quite a lot of tofu and it definitely needs a marinade otherwise it's blandsville. Choppy's recipe sounds like a good one.

That sounds delicious, and one I may try to reinvent! I agree about chessecake wholehartedly.

The marinade I gave you is my fave one, and I have it often with the diet I'm on so its contributed to a loss of 19lbs in the past few weeks. Tofu is great for slimmers.

I've had tofu deep fried in batter in a resteraunt and covered in sweet and sour sauce, that was delish! (not so slimming!) They call it beancurd in chinese supermarkets if you are ever near one.

Congratulations on the weight loss, Choppy, that's a brilliant achievement. x

Perhaps it's a reference to this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

I've stopped listening to the experts though. One week some food or drink is good for you, the next it's bad, the next it's good again. So now I just go along with the 'everything in moderation' crowd. Except when it comes to cheesecake - you can never have too much cheesecake.

Here, here! Or fudge

That sounds delicious, and one I may try to reinvent! I agree about chessecake wholehartedly.

The marinade I gave you is my fave one, and I have it often with the diet I'm on so its contributed to a loss of 19lbs in the past few weeks. Tofu is great for slimmers.

I've had tofu deep fried in batter in a resteraunt and covered in sweet and sour sauce, that was delish! (not so slimming!) They call it beancurd in chinese supermarkets if you are ever near one.

Thanks Choppy, I'm now even keener to try your recipe!!

Well done on your weight loss!

That sounds delicious, and one I may try to reinvent!

Choppysocks, this is the full description of the coconut tofu dish:

Noodle Bowl - Made with wok fried coconut tofu, soy beans, sugar snap peas, bok choy, and Shiitake mushrooms in red curry broth

Latest posts

Back