Penalised for returning items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

QueenBee

Registered Shopper
Hi all,
I have been a customer of the situp channels for many years and I have purchased alot of items and I mean alot during that time some of which I have returned which is understandable. Due to the extent of my shopping the number of returns average accordingly. I was shocked and felt very angry when I recently received this letter from them. Please click on the letter below once and then again when it has opened for a larger version.
Has anyone else experienced this ? :mad::confused:
Bidtv 20002 sharp.jpg

Last edited:
Over a third of what you order you return? I guess that's quite a lot, but the letter is very blunt! Did they include the terms and conditions? What does that say?

Sound like the famous LETTER QVC send out.

They ask you to phone them about your excessive returns. I have read they can also cancel your account if you ignore and continue.:11:

Surely they can appreciate that seeing something on screen is not the same as seeing it IRL, so you are bound to find that quite a lot of the items are not what you thought they would be like?

I'd be inclined to write back and tell them to stick their terms and conditions somewhere where the sun don't shine!!!!

:doggie:

what obtuse part of their terms and conditions are they referring to then - I can't see anything on their website returns policy or terms and conditions about a benchmark figure for returns.

What with the expensive phone call and delivery charges from these auction channels, I struggle to see the benefit in many instances. There's at least nearly £10.00 to pay on top of the item price.

I'd be inclined to do what M4G suggests :whistle

What a disgraceful way to treat a customer, I am with M4G and DD on this.

I mean 36% of how much? 30 orders, 300 orders or 3000 orders. I think they just don't want you to return items full stop.

The arrogance of some of these channels is appalling. How this channel can whinge about the cost of handling returned items is beyond me. Their excessive additional charges for the telephone call (the highest of any channel I believe?) together with the outrageous delivery costs, and the customer paying return postage, how can they not, at the very least, break even. One third returned - tough - if they showed more of the item and less of the presenter, then perhaps this wouldn't be necessary, but in any event I fail to see the relevance of that. They are lucky to have the benefit of knowing who their customers are, unlike high street shops, and I consider this is an abuse of that knowledge.

I'm so sorry Queenbee that you have been treated in this shoddy manner. They must know that when a genuine and long standing customer receives a letter like this, it is embarrassing and is actually hurtful. We all have our favourite channels and because we invite them into our homes through the TV, it is very easy to think they are our friends. Well they are NOT, they want your money and only your money.

As the shopping channels have become more successul, customer services is going out of the window. Such arrogance will receive its comeuppance, especially at this time when our custom will be much more valued by the high street, most of whom now deal on the internet for those of us who cannot get out, don't have time or simply prefer this method.

Sorry Queenbee to have rattled on so much on your thread, but this really hit a nerve. :12:

As the others have suggested, I strongly recommend you dump them explaining why, and tell them that you have posted their letter on a public forum. This type of behavious costs more than existing customers, but potential also.

Sorry - I'll go away now ........

Bl@@dy cheek of em. I agree, I too would write back telling them that after an audit of the quality of thier goods, you find that you are having to return far too many items due to poor quality and inaccurate descriptions by thier presenters and that you can no longer incur costs and are terminating your account.:12:

Bet

You haven't actually been penalised though, just asked to maybe not buy something unless you are sure you actually want it. I can understand it from your point of view, but also they will not want other customers who may have wanted items you have bid for and then returned, being disappointed by being unable to buy. Over a third of the value of your shopping returned does seem high - can't be good for your bank balance either having to stand all the costs involved. Maybe this letter will help you save some of your cash :)

Hi all,
I have been a customer of the situp channels for many years and I have purchased alot of items and I mean alot during that time some of which I have returned which is understandable. Due to the extent of my shopping the number of returns average accordingly. I was shocked and felt very angry when I recently received this letter from them. Please click on the letter below once and then again when it has opened for a larger version.
Has anyone else experienced this ? :mad::confused:
View attachment 1402

They'd have received a rapid reply from me telling them if they didn't sell such s***e that was in no way as good as they made it out to be you wouldn't feel the need to return so much.

I'd shop elsewhere if I was you, what a nerve. They sell items stating and making a big thing of 'get it home, have a look at it, if its not what you expected, just send it back, no problem' yet when you do they don't like it. I wonder if they have ever considered they may be misrepresenting the items to you, the viewer and thats why they are getting so many returns.

I can't believe it u have to return things when there no good .
They are not very quick to respond to a return iam still waiting to return
some phones a got they said they would send me a address label but they
haven't sent it so i'll have to phone again.
I'm not buying from these any more enough is enough.
They said u r a valued customer but your not Queen Bee .

I would write back to them and suggest to them that their presenters tell the viewers that this policy exists when they constantly bang on about how easy it is to return if you dont want it.

Quite frankly, I am surpirsed you return much to the Sit up channels. I find tha tthe low prices that they sell things at combined with the cost of shipping that you have already lost out on makes returning hardly worth the bother.

I must admit that I am shocked to hear that QVC also send out this kind of letter. They are the worst for saying that you can try anyting at home and if you dont like it just send it back. I have championed QVC to so many of my friends as they were my favourite company for quality customer service.

Can anyone confirm that QVC definitely also have this policy. If so, I may have to shop elsewhere. I hate these kind of dictatorial companies who present such a fluffy caring image on screen and then get all nasty when the camera not pointed on them.

Boy, that is awful!

I'm glad none of the channels I shop from adopt this policy, otherwise I'd have been banned long ago. I reckon I probably return two thirds of what I order 'cos I'm fussy, and I don't know whether I'll like an item until I see it IRL; but I do keep buying and have bought (and kept) a LOT from shopping channels over the years.

Sounds like they don't want your custom...

Can anyone confirm that QVC definitely also have this policy. If so, I may have to shop elsewhere. I hate these kind of dictatorial companies who present such a fluffy caring image on screen and then get all nasty when the camera not pointed on them.

There was a very long thread about this in the QVC section some while back Mal. A lot of people had received 'the' letter. My sister's ex-mother in law had also received the letter - a lot of the time her returns were because they had sent her the wrong size or colour, so of course, she had returned them!!!

:doggie:

It's a down right cheek.

How many times have we heard the presenter say "at this price just buy it, if you don't like it just send it back. 14 day no quibble money back guarantee"

They need to tell their presenters to be careful what they say in future.

Does anyone know if this is even legal? Are there not laws about distance selling which include a right to return?

Latest posts

Back