When are Morganite Ear rings, not Morganite Ear rings??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

P

PrincessRacer

Guest Shopper
So I have bought a pair of Morganite stud ear rings this week, just the ickle stud ones, as I have long admired the stone and Barry plunged them to silly price so I couldn't resist!!!!

I received them today. They are ssoo beautiful!!! They sparkle more than a sparkly thing considered particularly sparkly by other sparkly things and they are in as we speak!!!

But....

and this isn't necessarily a bad but....

But....

I wanted the ear rings for the subtle pink colour as I am a big fan of the pinkness, and thought that the subtle hue that Morganite adopts would be just gorge. The studs that I have received ain't pink....not even a weejy squeejy bit.....and it doesn't matter what light I look at them in, if I squint a bit or what...they are quite simply colourless. Beautiful, but colourless.

So my question to you gemological whizz kids is this:

Because these are colourless ear rings, are they still Morganite??? I know that some rocks have the same gem structure-y thing but because they are a different colour, have a different name (like red sapphires are rubies) and was wondering whether Morganite was one like it?????

...I know that was a wee bit long winded, but wasn't it worth it??? Aren't you pleased you stuck with my little story now??? :))

Well now you see, everyone I have shown them to (I get them delivered to my work) has gone 'Wow, are they diamonds?? They're gorgeous!!' and I have kinda gone 'erm.....yeah......course they are......diamonds.......yeah.......that's them.....hmmmm'

...but then I am a cheeky wee thing!!!!!

If you held them up against a white piece of paper you would probably see a hint of pink, 'baby' or 'blush' pink if you're being kind. More saturated pink morganite is more expensive but for sparkle and clarity at a silly price I think you couldn't do better (apart from Zircon perhaps... :whistle: ).

I've no doubt one of our more knowledgable gemhunters will be along to tell you more but if you love 'em and love wearing 'em, don't worry too much about it. :spider:

Tried that....still no colour!!!!! You are so right about the sparkle, I have some white topaz and white quartz, and quite literally the only things I own that are even close on the sparkle front to these are my diamonds.

I think if they weren't so sparkly, I would be a wee bitty miffed, but the magpie in me just adores them, and for £14, I really can't complain!!!!!!

Well the other name for Morganite is Pink Beryl! Pure Beryl is colourless. When Manganese is present, it turns the Beryl into Morganite. The deeper the pink, the more valuable.

If you've got a colourless version then they're more probably just Beryl or a poor quality (sorry) Morganite - but even so, some colour should be present. You can normally see a hint of either pink or peach. Try the test Basket Case has mentioned but in daylight and look from the side through the stone (or better still turn it upside down in the crease of white paper but in daylight). Some colour should be detectable and in order for Rocks to sell it as Morganite I'm sure there must be some colour there! Interestingly, the bigger the gemstone the more apparent the colour which might be why you're having trouble detecting the pink.

In all honesty if you love the earrings then enjoy them! If they outsparkle other lovely sparkley things then I wouldn't worry whether they're Morganite or Beryl!

Tried that....still no colour!!!!! You are so right about the sparkle, I have some white topaz and white quartz, and quite literally the only things I own that are even close on the sparkle front to these are my diamonds.

I think if they weren't so sparkly, I would be a wee bitty miffed, but the magpie in me just adores them, and for £14, I really can't complain!!!!!!

What? .... £14!!
tantrumsmiley.gif

I paid £17 for mine and thought I'd got a bargain .... but
23_144_10.gif
mine do have a hint of pink and I love 'em!
yes.gif

:34: hiya trouble xx i think i got the gist of your tale...love a good story.... not surw wat carat weight you have ,i got the 0.5ct ones in rose gold and they are lush the sparkle is brill with a def hint of pink, if you love the sparkliness of your earrings then thats a start, why dont you give the next size up a go and see if there more to your dream of morganite,i think i paid 25for mine....

So I have bought a pair of Morganite stud ear rings this week, just the ickle stud ones, as I have long admired the stone and Barry plunged them to silly price so I couldn't resist!!!!

I received them today. They are ssoo beautiful!!! They sparkle more than a sparkly thing considered particularly sparkly by other sparkly things and they are in as we speak!!!

But....

and this isn't necessarily a bad but....

But....

I wanted the ear rings for the subtle pink colour as I am a big fan of the pinkness, and thought that the subtle hue that Morganite adopts would be just gorge. The studs that I have received ain't pink....not even a weejy squeejy bit.....and it doesn't matter what light I look at them in, if I squint a bit or what...they are quite simply colourless. Beautiful, but colourless.

So my question to you gemological whizz kids is this:

Because these are colourless ear rings, are they still Morganite??? I know that some rocks have the same gem structure-y thing but because they are a different colour, have a different name (like red sapphires are rubies) and was wondering whether Morganite was one like it?????

...I know that was a wee bit long winded, but wasn't it worth it??? Aren't you pleased you stuck with my little story now??? :))

Actually I was just starting to .....

sleepy-1.gif

Joking!! mysmilie_1436

As said above the colour in Morganite varies, I have some Magnolia Morganite from GemsTV and this is a peachy pink and a larger one from TJC is pink pink....if you get me! These are both good sized stones, but then a teeny tiny Medina Morganite ring from GTV is almost colourless.

But the gemstone has an interesting history and worth a place in someone's collection.........imvho!

PS You can't beat a good sparkle.....
sparkle.gif
sparkle.gif
sparkle.gif

I got some morganites way before Christmas but I haven't even opened the little bags yet!

Sacha your sig makes me feel sea sick, LOL.

I've ordered a few morganite pieces in white gold from GTV - all went back for being colourless, it's a stone I've given up on now.
I was interested when Steve said he wouldn't set morganite in white metals as it doesn't work with them, and I kind of thought that maybe that had been my problem, but I guess if yours are in yellow or rose gold it's just one of those stones you've got to work at to get a good one.
Having said that, I haven't gone for expensive ones at all, I expect that's more likely to be the problem!
As long as you like them for what they are, you can't really complain too much at £14! I'm sure that I've got a few dodgy things in my collection that I kept because I loved them despite their faults. For example, I have a practically colourless kunzite, but it's huge and sparkly!
Cheeky mare telling folk they're diamonds though...lol

What an odd coincidence - just after posting above, I flipped onto Rocks to see them selling a morganite pendant - in white gold! Guess Steve has backtracked, maybe he's had a lot of requests. This one looked a good colour I must say - but not cheap!

oooh PR - you have got me now - which ones are they - I think I may have to do some research (buy them) they sound fab pink or otherwise lol :45: :33: :54: :rolleyes::D

Well now you see, everyone I have shown them to (I get them delivered to my work) has gone 'Wow, are they diamonds?? They're gorgeous!!' and I have kinda gone 'erm.....yeah......course they are......diamonds.......yeah.......that's them.....hmmmm'

...but then I am a cheeky wee thing!!!!!

Wow, £14 for a pair of 'diamond' and gold earrings! :yeah: I'd keep them PR - who's going to know but you? :winksmilie:

I bought a pair of these Morganite studs too and mine have a subtle pink tone in them. They're my pink diamond earrings! :whistlingsmilie: Maybe you'll have better luck if you try for another pair? Good Luck.

Surprisingly, the best Morganite earrings I have for colour and great cut come from QVC!

Oh I am ssoo keeping them...I really do love them and everything, and think that they may have to be surgically removed from my dead corpse before anyone else gets their grubby mitts on them, after which everyone will say 'oo they came out of a dead person - how ooky' and won't want them anyway...HA!!!!

....I just wondered whether I was telling fibs if I decided to fess up that they ain't diamonds and say that they are Morganite when because they are colourless they aren't Morganite at all, they are (insert other name of sparkly beautifulness as appropriate).

I think that had they been proper expensive I would have been a wee bitty upset, but like you all said, a pair of *ahem* diamond ear rings for £14 in 9k yellow gold...who's gonna argue?!?!?

........still want some Morganite though!!! Scorp, I might just have to give those ear rings you mentioned a shot!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help, and Meeshoo, the extent of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me....I swear you ingest gem encyclopaedias!!! Thanks, hon! x

Katieeeeeeeeee, the code for the ear rings is ED527, but I can't post a link coz they aren't on CR!!! They are in 9k yellow gold and are 0.94 carats....hope that helps!!!

hi Princess racer nice to see you posting i dont have morganite but i did buy a kunzit ring from gtv a long time ago the stone was very pale for quite a big carat weight but i think the colour has faded over time cause it seems almost colourless now unless its just me getting old and forgetful lol enjoy your new "diamond " earrings at that price well done

Katieeeeeeeeee, the code for the ear rings is ED527, but I can't post a link coz they aren't on CR!!! They are in 9k yellow gold and are 0.94 carats....hope that helps!!!

Thank you PR :60: much appreciated - if they are not available I shall try and find something similar :) or even hold on LOL and see if some more appear ;)- :D:D xx

ooo yes, that's them!!!! Thanks, BH!!! ....they don't look all that pink in the pic either do they!!! Lol!!! :4:

Latest posts

Back