hemimorphite?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

nannieA

Registered Shopper
what does the team think? Is this gorgeous and do I have to have it,or is it another version of lookalike turquoise and therefore vastly overpriced? :33:please give me your very much appreciated opinions,there could be a book deal.".The educated gem shopping telly buyer".I think we're on to a winner.

I'm glad you started this thead, nannieA....I've been wondering myself if I like it or not as I love turquoise. I 'googled' the name 'hemimorphite' and there are quite a few mineral sites giving technical information regarding the composition from which I gather it isn't a rare gem stone but, as is often said, that doesn't mean that gem quality samples aren't hard to find. I think, because it is set with gold and diamonds it is too expensive for me. I'd probably be more tempted if it were a tumbled stone set in silver or mixed with other tumbled stones in a necklace. Stunning colour, though.

I can understand that people could find this stone attractive, but I'm afraid I really don't like it.

I liked it when they showed it a while back but I'd never heard of it either. Really bright blue!

It's a mineral and fairly cheap but can have a gorgeous Paraiba like colour. It's not an expensive stone though.

It's only 5 on the MOHS scale with perfect cleavage so you need to treat it like you would Apatite i.e. be careful.

The interesting thing about Hemimorphite (previously called Calamine) is that sometimes they fluoresce orange. So if you've got a UV light, they may glow orange! They don't all do this but it's interesting (if you're an anorak like me) to see!

It's a mineral and fairly cheap but can have a gorgeous Paraiba like colour. It's not an expensive stone though.

It's only 5 on the MOHS scale with perfect cleavage so you need to treat it like you would Apatite i.e. be careful.

The interesting thing about Hemimorphite (previously called Calamine) is that sometimes they fluoresce orange. So if you've got a UV light, they may glow orange! They don't all do this but it's interesting (if you're an anorak like me) to see!

Do they make Calamine lotion out of it or am I being daft again?

Thanks gang,having seen more of it I think I'll send for one and see what it looks like,real downside is their awful CS.

Hi Guys:

Thought I’d chime in with some more info on this rare gem.

Organic gems aside, all gems are minerals, but not all mineral specimens possess the three attributes of beauty, rarity and durability necessary to make them a gemstone.

A definite first (and possibly a last) for us not only due to the geological scarcity of suitable gem quality Hemimorphite (while many mineral deposits exist, very few yield gem quality), but also because of the difficulty this gem poses for the lapidary (i.e. it is notoriously difficult to polish well). To put this into context, gem dealer and lapidary Tony Diniz, has only encountered two gem quality Hemimorphite deposits (including this one) in his 12 years in the gem business. Interestingly, both hailed from Madagascar. In the 8 years I have been in business, I have only seen this rare exotic gem a few times.

Apart from its rarity, the biggest draw card of our Hemimorphite is its popular colour that suites all complexions (the colour of the sky and tropical seas, medium or aqua blues suit almost any skin tone). Colour is the most important consideration in coloured gems and our Hemimorphite has attractive, bright vivid Swiss blues reminiscent of the neon swimming pool blues of Paraíba Tourmaline. Interestingly, jewellery designer Kara Ross, a favourite on the runways for such fashion brands as Naeem Khan and Jay Mendel, uses Hemimorphite in her jewellery.

Our Hemimorphite is from Ilakaka, Madagascar. As I am sure many of you know, lakaka is actually a major source for Sapphires. Hemimorphite (Zn4Si2O7(OH)2•H2O) has been mined since antiquity and is a secondary mineral in the weathered portions (oxidized zone) of zinc deposits. Hemimorphite is closely associated with Smithsonite, they were often assumed to be the same mineral and both were classed under the same name, ‘calamine’ by European miners. In the second half of the 18th century it was discovered that there were two different minerals under the heading of calamine: a zinc carbonate (Smithsonite) and a zinc silicate (Hemimorphite). Another historic name for Hemimorphite is ‘galmei’. Named after the hemimorphic (asymmetrical) nature of it crystals (in Greek ‘hemi’ means half while ‘morph’ means shape), our Hemimorphite is transparent to translucent, occasionally with some attractive mottling and a delightful Swiss Paraíba blue. Its other colours include blue-green, brown, colourless, green, grey, white, and yellow. Hemimorphite’s white or pale blue transparent crystals are rarely seen as faceted gemstones (and from what I have seen, they're actually not that attractive when they are). However, its beautiful blue aggregate form (e.g. Chalcedony is the aggregate form of Quartz) is very attractive when cut as cabochons, albeit difficult to polish. Astrologically associated with Librans, Hemimorphite is a gemstone with many purported metaphysical properties, which you can easily find online.

Concerning its durability, as long as you follow a few simple do’s and don’ts listed here http://www.rocksandco.com/library/gemstone-enhancement.asp all your gemstone jewellery will last for generations.

Lastly, Calico you’re not being daft, calamine is a mixture of zinc oxide and iron oxide and is the main ingredient in calamine lotion, so there is an association.

I hope this helps, as always, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Gav

Hi Gav,Well I tried to buy a ring,the first one disappeared from my basket in 5 mins,I checked out the second one but customer services told me it was the last one and there was a stock contol stop on that ring so had to cancel it.Perhaps the Great God Bling is trying to tell me some thing!Luv the colour but worried about practicality.Thanks for the info and I think you're wonderful.

Has anyone ordered or received any hemimorphite yet? if so what is it like please as thinking of purchasing maybe a pendant and wanted to know if possible before making my mind up what it is like 'in real life' TIA

Latest posts

Back