Is the re-sizing service covered for damage?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

t1ger

Registered Shopper
I have not had chance to call CS yet with being at work, but can anyone tell me if R&C have a policy that covers their re-sizing service should anything go wrong?

Hi Tiger

Unfortunately we do not have a policy that covers any alterations, the risk of resizing has always been the customers. However the majority of resizing companies will advise the customer if they feel that the ring will not be able to be resized.

Rocks & Co Helper

Thank you for your reply Rocks & Co Helper but I find this quite absurd to be honest. I would have thought that if you provide a re-sizing service with Maker Mends that you pay for other than postgage costs, it would mean that resizing is part of the original contract of purchase that I have as a customer with yourselves (Rocks & Co), not the resizing service at Marker Mends. Any recourse to damage caused by your sub-contractor – Maker Mends – should surly be met by Rocks & Co, and therefore is not at my risk, but is at yours.

It is inevitable that customers are going to HAVE to get the rings purchased from Rocks & Co re-sized as they are only offered in one only size, which most certainly will not fit everyone, even though it is supposed to be the national average. This is presumably why you offer the resizing service as part of the original purchase contract

No offence Tiger but I doubt any of the other jewellery channels accept liability should a company they use for resizing rings cause damage to the item. If anything the shop/store/jeweller should have some kind of liability insurance cover for damage/errors. Might be worth asking Maker Mends.

Also as buyers we have the choice as to whether we buy knowing some rings will have to be resized. Are we entering into a contract other than the usual 10 day money back guarantee? Maybe someone has any information on that point.

Are you still having problems finding someone to resize your rings? Like I told you in your other thread, the rings I had resized came back perfect. For the record the jeweller normally does repairs/resizing/designs on the premises and when he resizes rings does them himself, but..........in the case of my ones he specifically said he would not touch them because of the aggravation and the danger of damage hence the reason he sent them away as he doesn't use the laser method. I think it was somewhere in Hatton Garden.

No offence Tiger but I doubt any of the other jewellery channels accept liability should a company they use for resizing rings cause damage to the item. If anything the shop/store/jeweller should have some kind of liability insurance cover for damage/errors. Might be worth asking Maker Mends.

Also as buyers we have the choice as to whether we buy knowing some rings will have to be resized. Are we entering into a contract other than the usual 10 day money back guarantee? Maybe someone has any information on that point.

This is not just someone they are recommending they are using them as sub-contractor and providing this service to customers free of charge, other than P&P charges, so yes they should accept liabiltiy. Maker Mends are being used to offer a service on behalf of Rocks.

By offering a free resizing service, Rocks are technically offering rings in other sizes all as part of the same purchase contract.

I am looking in to the legal side of the buying contract at the moment but this information is coming from a friend who runs their own business and has these kind of issues occur in the past with customers and in the end, they had to pay out liability.

I think another thing to take in to consideration is how we are always being told by the presenters that this ring can definitely be sized up or down 3 sizes but yet no one other than their sub-contractor seems to be confident at all that this is possible due to the lack of gold in the ring and the gem settings. Yes you may come across the odd jeweller that is, if you are lucky!

Last edited:
I understand your point there but buyers aren't compelled to use these people.

Technically it isn't free, albeit the price is cheaper than other places.

That's why I posted about the company who in this case is Maker Mends having liability insurance, so if any damage is caused then they are the ones who should be responsible.

Lol yes they do but again not only Rocks and Co but all the other channels tell buyers that rings can be resized x 3 up or down. I have seen others post in here that certain rings just can't be resized because of their setting.

Sorry to see you've had so much trouble trying to have your ring(s) resized and hope you fine an answer sooner rather than later. What I might do is send one of the cheaper rings I've bought to Maker Mends without using R&C's free service and see how much it costs plus what kind of job they do.

Keisha - GemsTV used to stand by the resizing service that they offered (also a sub-contractor) so that if anything went wrong, GemsTV would normally make sure that the customer was sorted out. So I can understand T1ger's question.

Sorry to see you've had so much trouble trying to have your ring(s) resized and hope you fine an answer sooner rather than later. What I might do is send one of the cheaper rings I've bought to Maker Mends without using R&C's free service and see how much it costs plus what kind of job they do.

Please let me know if you do. I have just sent some silver rings to them using R&C's service so I will see what they are like, although the silver weight is better than the gold, just!

I don't know, I guess a girl just can't have everything!

Lol yes they do but again not only Rocks and Co but all the other channels tell buyers that rings can be resized x 3 up or down. I have seen others post in here that certain rings just can't be resized because of their setting.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Rocks & Co. state that their rings can be re-sized 3 sizes up and ANY size down?

I tend to think Tiget has a point with regards to liability. If you are using Rocks & Co's subcontractor paying only for the postage, then they must take some liability if anything goes wrong. Afterall it's their recommended contractor and they must have a contract with them whereby they pay a reduced rate to have the work done on the customer's behalf. Someone has to be paying for it as I'm sure the jeweller won't be doing it for the love of it! Unless it's stated in their terms and conditions, I am reliably informed by a solicitor friend that (in their professional opinion) should a case be taken to a court of law then any liability will be the responsibility of Rocks & Co. as it's them who you have the contract with and it's them who have the contract with the jeweller. Let's hope nobody has to have a test case!

Keisha - GemsTV used to stand by the resizing service that they offered (also a sub-contractor) so that if anything went wrong, GemsTV would normally make sure that the customer was sorted out. So I can understand T1ger's question.

Seems they don't now. I've just dug out an invoice and it states "Gems TV are not liable for any damage or breakages as result of resizing or repairs". Looks like the onus is on the buyer to ensure anyone they use be it an independent jeweller or a recommended contractor will accept any liability for damage etc. Anyone know whether the other channel Rocks TV accept responsibility for damage?

Please let me know if you do. I have just sent some silver rings to them using R&C's service so I will see what they are like, although the silver weight is better than the gold, just!

I don't know, I guess a girl just can't have everything!

I will Tiger and if your rings come back before I send any off keep us posted on the result.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Rocks & Co. state that their rings can be re-sized 3 sizes up and ANY size down?

I tend to think Tiget has a point with regards to liability. If you are using Rocks & Co's subcontractor paying only for the postage, then they must take some liability if anything goes wrong. Afterall it's their recommended contractor and they must have a contract with them whereby they pay a reduced rate to have the work done on the customer's behalf. Someone has to be paying for it as I'm sure the jeweller won't be doing it for the love of it! Unless it's stated in their terms and conditions, I am reliably informed by a solicitor friend that (in their professional opinion) should a case be taken to a court of law then any liability will be the responsibility of Rocks & Co. as it's them who you have the contract with and it's them who have the contract with the jeweller. Let's hope nobody has to have a test case!

Tbh I'm a 'noob' and only began shopping with the jewellery channels from last October so basically going by what I've read. I just thought that if you went more than 3 sizes either way it can spoil the look of the ring.

I've never said Tiger didn't have a point because she has, and it's made me think about it too. I've no idea whether R&C pay the jeweller a fee or just sends business his way. I just never bothered using Maker Mends and I've bought a lot of rings mainly from R&C, (who I've never had any problems with so far), as I take them to my local jeweller. Not sure about the legal side either, but I guess really one will only know once someone uses one of the recommended jewellers who stuffs up the work and they take the matter to court.

Hi t1ger

I think My Original response was not taken as intended and I apologise for any misunderstandings.

Liability stands as follows:

If anything goes wrong with your ring at Maker Mends it is covered by their liability insurance, but on the odd occasion that your ring may not be able to be resized, Maker Mends will contact you either by phone or letter to advise that there is a risk of damage if resized, and ask if you would like to go ahead, in this case it would be up to the customer if they would like to take the risk or return it to Rocks & Co. for a refund (you may need to check what cover you will receive with other jewellers).
If the ring has a manufacturing fault e.g. the gold cracked during sizing this is a possible fault with Rocks & Co. and there for we would replace/match it or a complete refund would be issued upon return of the ring.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Rocks & Co helper

Hi t1ger

I think My Original response was not taken as intended and I apologise for any misunderstandings.

Liability stands as follows:

If anything goes wrong with your ring at Maker Mends it is covered by their liability insurance, but on the odd occasion that your ring may not be able to be resized, Maker Mends will contact you either by phone or letter to advise that there is a risk of damage if resized, and ask if you would like to go ahead, in this case it would be up to the customer if they would like to take the risk or return it to Rocks & Co. for a refund (you may need to check what cover you will receive with other jewellers).
If the ring has a manufacturing fault e.g. the gold cracked during sizing this is a possible fault with Rocks & Co. and there for we would replace/match it or a complete refund would be issued upon return of the ring.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Rocks & Co helper

Thank you so much for you response, this is very re-assuring to know. I would hate to send of an expensive ring only to find it gets damaged in the re-sizing process and it not be covered. Just a suggestion, it might reassure customers if this was stated on the paper work regarding re-sizing as I am sure, just like me a lot of customers are apprehensive of sending of a lovely piece of jewellery to company that they do not have a face to face service with.
:1:

Tbh I'm a 'noob' and only began shopping with the jewellery channels from last October so basically going by what I've read. I just thought that if you went more than 3 sizes either way it can spoil the look of the ring.

I've never said Tiger didn't have a point because she has, and it's made me think about it too. I've no idea whether R&C pay the jeweller a fee or just sends business his way. I just never bothered using Maker Mends and I've bought a lot of rings mainly from R&C, (who I've never had any problems with so far), as I take them to my local jeweller. Not sure about the legal side either, but I guess really one will only know once someone uses one of the recommended jewellers who stuffs up the work and they take the matter to court.

Hi Keisha you are quite right in what you say about the 3 sizes either way - Gems & TJC say this but for some reason Rocks say 3 up or any size down!! I'm the same as you and also thought 3 was the maximum without spoiling the ring.

With regards to Tiger and "the point" please don't think I was trying to say that you didn't think she had a point. My comments were general and not aimed at you in any way at all. Sorry if you thought they were.

By the way Welcome to the forum :)

w49.gif

Hi Keisha you are quite right in what you say about the 3 sizes either way - Gems & TJC say this but for some reason Rocks say 3 up or any size down!! I'm the same as you and also thought 3 was the maximum without spoiling the ring.

With regards to Tiger and "the point" please don't think I was trying to say that you didn't think she had a point. My comments were general and not aimed at you in any way at all. Sorry if you thought they were.

By the way Welcome to the forum :)

w49.gif

Hey Klosblue......no apology necessary whatsoever. I completely understood what you were trying to put across and agreed that Tiger did have a valid point. In fact if she hadn't put on her 'I'm determined hat' quite a few of us would have still been none the wiser. As it is R&C have now clarified the matter. Well done to Tiger.

And many thanks for the welcome.

I just like to get all the facts before I enter in to anything! :) I also like other people to know that they are getting a fair deal.

Latest posts

Back