ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
Bought on web - £280:

https://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=492405

Can't decide whether to keep it or not - what do people think? (For some reason, the photo looks distorted; but if you copy and paste it from the link into Word, it comes out OK.)

And when I say "bought on web", I'm exaggerating - what I mean is "attempted to buy on web, got error message, e-mailed personal shopper and they rang me to complete the order...

I,ve seen that pendant on air and thought how lovely it was, i personally think £280 for 0.83ct you can't go wrong, there are 167 diamonds so each diamond is 0.5 a point so imagine the time/cost involved setting them all, i think its a great price!

I think that looks lovely missmagpie and personally I would loved to keep it however if you are unsure and it didnt say keep me as soon as you tried it on then send it back as from personal experience I think the pieces of jewellery that you humandha about they not ment to be kept. Sorry if that sounds confusing. Mags

Personally...I love it! Is it worth £280? I'd say yes. I bought diamond stud earrings from TJC and wear them every day...they've been my best purchase ever and they didn't cost much less than that pendant (£228) and they were only .33ct!

I would say definitely worth the money , especially in 18ct gold .

I must say that I have been like you , umming and ahhing about a diamond and tahitian pearl pendant which I have bought from Ideal World . I love it but it was an impulse buy in clearance and not available on the web but being shown on telly so I rushed to the phone as there was only one . In the meantime I also ordered some expensive diamond and sapphire earrings from Bid TV as I saw someone selling the same ones on Ebay for £1500 (with a jewellers Insurance valuation for £3900!) and on BId clearance they were£480. Oh what have I done I keep thinking I really am a shopaholic and this has to stop !
I didn't intend to unburden myself when I started writing this Miss Magpie but I do know that even if you like the piece of jewellery you sometimes want reassurance that others think you have made a good choice and that the price is fair . Enjoy wearing it!

I think it looks lovely,MissM,and is definitely worth getting to see it irl.
Nearly 1 carat of pink and white iliana diamonds for the price seems to be good too imo.

I hope it's just as gorgeous as anticipated when you get it.:1:

I would say it is not worth £280 I have seen better for cheaper. just my opinionhttp://www.colouredrocks.com/i-qs304/1ct-diamond-pendant/

Nice pendant, and would probably go cheaper in the auction. On the other hand, the diamonds in this are I2 clarity, whereas the one I got from TJC is Iliana. I can't now remember exactly what this means in terms of diamond quality, but I think it's at least VS2. Definitely better than I2, anyhow.

I think it looks lovely,MissM,and is definitely worth getting to see it irl.
Nearly 1 carat of pink and white iliana diamonds for the price seems to be good too imo.

I hope it's just as gorgeous as anticipated when you get it.:1:

Alas the diamonds are not pink - only the gold!

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Miss M the pendant is expensive IMVHO. Although it's .83ct there are a lot of diamonds which drives the price down! If it was a pair of earrings made up of 2 diamonds, it'd definitely be worth the money. Iliana quality is SI and G-H in colour not VS which also has an affect on the price.

Do you love the pendant enough to think that you might be paying over the odds? If the answer is yes, then it's a keeper. If no, then send back - there's always something better waiting round the corner!

I totally agree about the Rocks and Co pendant - yuck. I2 clarity - eeeek! Definitely not worth the money. It'll look like frozen spit - especially for somebody who knows good quality as you do.

Nice pendant, and would probably go cheaper in the auction. On the other hand, the diamonds in this are I2 clarity, whereas the one I got from TJC is Iliana. I can't now remember exactly what this means in terms of diamond quality, but I think it's at least VS2. Definitely better than I2, anyhow.

The diamonds should be a minimum of SI2 grade in Iliana and I believe the VS2 grades are set into their Rhapsody platinum range .

Having said that the one Iliana ring I purchased....0.5ct in three stones.....has very impressive diamonds, excellent clarity
and mucho sparkle and fire. So you can hope for the best.

In the link to the pendant the inner diamonds do have a pinkish tinge, thanks to the rose gold setting, so it would
be lovely if this were visible irl. From the specs its hard to tell the size and scale of the pendant, so a
home inspection would be very useful. And hopefully this very pretty design will sparkle its little heart out for you Miss M.

I totally agree about the Rocks and Co pendant - yuck. I2 clarity - eeeek! Definitely not worth the money. It'll look like frozen spit - especially for somebody who knows good quality as you do.

I've noticed that a lot of Rocks TV diamonds are this low quality. Unfortunately newbies probably won't realise this and may think a Diamond is a Diamond is a Diamond!! While I love Diamonds and it is my birthstone, I would rather do without than have poor quality.

Very pretty and if you like it then its worth it. Personaly I do not think it is worth it but then thats only my opinion. As for the comparison between the tjc and rocks pendants the rocks pendant has a lot more gold and a larger carat weight for a lot less money, The diamonds are only 2 grades apart SI2 - I2 and with the size of these diamonds which lets face it at 1mm are only chips you will not see a huge difference you'll see the prongs more than the stones. Then again as I said only my opinion.:54:

Very pretty and if you like it then its worth it. Personaly I do not think it is worth it but then thats only my opinion. As for the comparison between the tjc and rocks pendants the rocks pendant has a lot more gold and a larger carat weight for a lot less money, The diamonds are only 2 grades apart SI2 - I2 and with the size of these diamonds which lets face it at 1mm are only chips you will not see a huge difference you'll see the prongs more than the stones. Then again as I said only my opinion.:54:

Apologies but properly graded (i.e. graded by a gemologist when comparing to sample stones) SI2 diamonds and I2 diamonds are WORLDS apart. SI2 means "slightly included" - in a properly graded SI2 some of the inclusions may be seen, some not, some you'd need to see through a loupe. With the naked eye you may see something but not always. In all of the Iliana pieces I've seen, their SI2 diamonds have been bright, lively and inclusions not obvious.

On the other hand, I2 diamonds means "included". These will be easy to see with the naked eye - they're the equivalent of buying diamonds at Argos. They're dreadful, dull and inclusions will be seen easy. Most jewellers worth their salt won't touch I graded diamonds. The worst grade of diamond you ever see in jewellery is I3 so that gives you an indication of how bad they are.

Equally as important is you need to look at the colour difference, Iliana is typically G-H. These are white to the eye with no hint of yellow. Typically RocksTV sell I and J quality. These are noticeably grey and/or yellow. Here's some comparisons for you:-

Iliana:
Diamondempirestateonhand4-1.jpg

Not from a TV/internet shopping channel but to compare ...... the central Asscher cut diamond here is a GIA certified, I colour, and either SI1 or SI2 (I can't remember). Look at the colour of this (it has no fluorescence) and then look at the earrings shown below which are also supposed to be I colour!
IMG_0425.jpg

RocksTV - when these were being shown at auction I asked in the chat box if they were yellow because they looked it on screen. The answer was a categoric "no" - what do you think? If a diamond is I or J in colour it will nearly always be a warm colour (unless it has fluorescence). I wear these along with my yellow diamonds and they fit in nicely!
Diamond50ctearrings1.jpg

These are possibly the worst diamonds I've ever seen set in jewellery! They're dull, grey, lifeless and you can't see a facet at all. They look better in this photo than they really are and my guestimate is that these are I3 or worse and I shudder as to what colour they'd be graded as! As you rightly say, you see the prongs more than the diamonds - in fact the prongs sparkle more :54:
KunziteShank.jpg

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not for one minute promoting TJC over RocksTV. Both have their excellent selling points but I would not buy diamonds from RocksTV. That's just my opinion.

Meeshoo thank you for your informative but utterly pointless post. I agree yes there is a huge difference between SI2 and I2, but the diamonds actually have to be large enough to be able to see, not the 1mm chips that are in the designs being compared. As quite you rightly agreed with me the prongs are more visible on these pieces than the actual diamonds so unless the people that will be looking at the person wearing the item wish to get well inside their personal space and get their loupe out they will see hardly any difference.

Meeshoo thank you for your informative but utterly pointless post. I agree yes there is a huge difference between SI2 and I2, but the diamonds actually have to be large enough to be able to see, not the 1mm chips that are in the designs being compared. As quite you rightly agreed with me the prongs are more visible on these pieces than the actual diamonds so unless the people that will be looking at the person wearing the item wish to get well inside their personal space and get their loupe out they will see hardly any difference.

Thank you also for your rudeness. It's amazing how many "new" people to ST feel the need to attack.

If you knew anything about jewellery at all you would know that even 1mm diamonds will sparkle if SI2. Clearly in the example I gave above, the diamonds are dreadful which is why the prongs sparkle more. Once the diamonds are replaced that will be the opposite.

If you think my posts are pointless I suggest you ignore them in future.

Not attacking you Meeshoo in the slightest you misunderstand me I am simply just pointing out that on these two particular designs both of which I have seen on screen magnified by the cameras there is very little difference. However your post above may have been more relevant if your example photos had been of at least similar products. :)

What on earth is happening on this site with newbies. I am beginning to think they are coming from the same "camp". This post was unnecessarily rude. Meeshoo has been an enormous help to many of us just feeling our way round the jewellery market, and we are very happy to receive her advice and benefit of her expertise.

I understand if someone says something unpleasant then, in the heat of the moment, one may say something regrettable. However this remark was totally uncalled for and impolite posts seem to be almost normal amongst new members. This point would have been adequately and politely made without the first sentence.

Argeybargey

Argeybargey I am not a newby and used to post regularly on this forum untill graham introduced the VIP member option at which point I lost my avatar and username I have not been on the site for sometime because of work and family commitments I appologise if I caused meeshoo any offence but I was mearly pointing out that her poor choice of example photos did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back