I want to defend Rocks & Co a bit

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
OK, so a lot of the gems have huge windows... gold weights are low... and some of the presenters are sometimes annoying.

BUT the accent diamonds are great, the designs are great, and the prices (especially for the mid-range pieces) are great.

And, while the "official" customer service leaves a lot to be desired, Andrew (Rocks&CoCOO) has sorted out all the problems I've had (including very fussy things, like going to the warehouse to pick out moonstones with the best schiller) and nothing has been too much trouble for him.

I guess it all depends on how much you love their jewellery. One or two of the pieces I have from Rocks & Co are SO beautiful I can hardly believe they're real, and no annoying presenter or bad CS would put me off them - but it's all a matter of taste.

I have to agree with you however it is a shame about the gold weights just a small increase would such a difference.

OK, so a lot of the gems have huge windows... gold weights are low... and some of the presenters are sometimes annoying.

BUT the accent diamonds are great,
the designs are great, and the prices (especially for the mid-range pieces) are great.

And, while the "official" customer service leaves a lot to be desired, Andrew (Rocks&CoCOO) has sorted out all the problems I've had (including very fussy things, like going to the warehouse to pick out moonstones with the best schiller) and nothing has been too much trouble for him.

I guess it all depends on how much you love their jewellery. One or two of the pieces I have from Rocks & Co are SO beautiful I can hardly believe they're real, and no annoying presenter or bad CS would put me off them - but it's all a matter of taste.

I agree with all of the above but you don't buy jewellery for accent diamonds alone. I guess however, if everything you've received has been just ok and you haven't had the "it's knocked my socks off" feeling about anything then it's hard to see past that.

I'm very glad you've had some sensational pieces (and I'm sure that others have too). For me however, each delivery has been problematic, CS and Andrew (sorry Andrew!) haven't called back when they've said they will and items remain unresolved. Gavin (bless him) has intervened on my behalf more times than he would care to and I love the way he's always on hand to answer questions (even if we disagree about the answers! :3:).

The problem is, you can only judge how you find. For me, CS and the service, the gemstone cuts and the presenters need a serious upgrade. I know they're certainly working on the CS and service part and that will go a long way to resolving issues but I won't pay for a badly cut gemstone and I won't be "sold" to by presenters spouting carp! Rocks really has potential but they're still finding their feet and probably not doing that fast enough. I hope they pull it round quickly because the more bling there is, the better for us consumers!

Having John as a presenter is utter genius and they need to tap into that uniqueness a bit more because he sets them apart from any of the other jewellery channels. Perhaps he should give masterclasses in "how to present to get consumers to buy"!

This might seem a bit odd at first, but I actually PREFER low gold weights! When I recently had a custom ring made by BKK gemstones, I persuaded them to make it as light as possible.

I have quite a few pieces of Edwardian jewellery, which tends to be light and lacy, often with very little gold. Personally, I'd rather have my jewellery delicate rather than chunky.

But again, it's all a matter of taste.

Heavier gold weight doesn't have to equate to chunky designs. They can still be delicate but retain strength rather than be hollowed out in unnecessary places :1:

An interesting thread MM. I have experience of only two Rocks purchases, a deep, saturated Kyanite, which is by far the best I've seen from any of the channels and a hemimorphite. The latter is so light in the gold dept that I doubt it will resize as far as I want it to go. The diamond accents are teeny, sparkly and firey but miniscule. The stone itself is beautiful and despite good advice ( :wink: ) it now resides at Basket Manor. I would happily have paid more for more gold and larger diamonds with such an unusual stone and at the prices being commanded, I doubt a few more quid would deter many folk.

I think this is a problem with most of the channels at the moment, they are underestimating their markets. Yes, there is a shortage of cash so make the lower end pieces lighter and perhaps leave the diamonds out altogether or use more silver which they do seem to have cottoned on to. I honestly can't see how an extra gram or two of gold will make that much difference to the price of mid-high value pieces. It's a difficult balance I appreciate that but low gold weights and flimsy designs can be as off putting as a steep price. Perhaps people are still buying but being more selective of quality and value and let's be honest, we have enough choice at present to soon take our business elsewhere.

As for the windows in stones, don't get me started. :whistle: The problem is when we hear the presenters whitter on about how good a stone is and we can see very clearly that it's not, it lowers our confidence in what else they tell us. I watch Rocks with the sound down most of the time I'm afraid! :spider:

I agree with most of the above. The windows in the stones are a real disappointment and have stopped me from buying many a piece and this problem could and should be addressed. I have always disliked the miniscule accent diamonds and would much rather pay a bit more for decent sized diamonds or have a piece as a solitaire so that the stone I'm buying can shine on it's own. The gold weight could easily be increased slightly without making the jewellery too bulky. We all know about the many problems with the systems and CS, but as these are undergoing a major overhaul, I'm not going to moan about them here.

On the positive side, I think they have the best designs of all the channels and I too have some stunning pieces from them.

However, I think the main problem is the presenters they have recruited. I have no idea who is in charge of the hiring and firing, but they really don't seem to have a clue. They now have far more presenters (mainly daytime) who I can't watch than ones I enjoy (who are mostly on the evening shifts). Surely they must realise how extremely important the front man of a company is? At the moment I feel it's turning into an old friends employment centre, never mind ability (or voices!).

Rocks&Co, if I can't watch your presenters, I won't be buying even if you improve your CS, increase gold weight, have the best designs and employ the best cutters in the world! And reading through this Forum I know that I'm not alone.

No offence to anyone but I have to agree with Miss Magpie. I notice all too often how some of you badmouth the presenters because of their selling methods, appearance or accent. Of course their job is to make a sale and let's face it if we walked into a high street store their assistants would do the same thing. It can be misleading to a degree for new users to these shopping channels, but I would hope that most would use their common sense, and if an item seems highly priced don't buy at that time. Do the homework then wait for it to come out again, or contact the CS and ask them to source it at the price it auctioned for.

On several occasions I've missed something in an auction because the web page hasn't loaded and whenever I've contacted Rocks in particular Andrew, that item has been located and delivered. Never had a problem when calling CS, and in fact positively enjoy it sometimes as the people on the other end of the phone I've spoken to have been more than courteous.

Like I said there'll always be presenters we don't take to, but when you begin to insult them because of their accent that's a bit mean. Anyone who comes from Essex will speak with that kind of accent, and just because they do doesn't necessarily mean they're an airhead.

For me I buy what I particularly like regardless of the gold weight, because I know if I went to a high street jewellers chances are I'd get ripped off. (Oh what am I talking about.......I did recently but that's another story. :18: ) Once it arrives - if I change my mind or see something better I return it no questions asked.

I agree with almost everything you Gals say,I can put up with poor goldweight on cheaper pieces,but certainly would not buy an expensive piece. Some of their £1000 plus pieces have insultingly low gram weight and last night I saw some of their bracelets have only 5 and 6grms.I think most buyers would be very disappointed when they receive them.However,received a tanzanian ruby ring today and the stones are gorgeous.Returned a hemimorphite last week,to me looked like a vastly over priced turquoise.

I have to say, I have had several items from Rocks now and only a few have been returned, mainly because I just didn't like them in the flesh so to speak. I so far have not had a bad gem. I am like a few, disappointed with the gold weight, but their gems (the ones that I have had) are far better then the ones I have tried from other channels and in some cases better than some very well known jewellers. As far as presenters go, so what if I don't like them, I watch online and look when I need to! Most shop assistants annoy the hell out of me, so why should the ones on TV be any different!

Customer service personally for me has been very good and Andrew is more than prepared to go out of his way to help. I also think their delivery turn around is great too. I have placed orders with Gems TV and not even had a confirmation that the order has gone through in over 1 week, so I just cancelled the order!

Yes there may be a few problems that need ironing out, but what new company doesn't. With most things too, you cannot please everyone, there will always be some people that just don't like what they do and thats fine, that is why we have several companies offering the same/similar products!!!!

No offence to anyone but I have to agree with Miss Magpie. I notice all too often how some of you badmouth the presenters because of their selling methods, appearance or accent. Of course their job is to make a sale and let's face it if we walked into a high street store their assistants would do the same thing. It can be misleading to a degree for new users to these shopping channels, but I would hope that most would use their common sense, and if an item seems highly priced don't buy at that time. Do the homework then wait for it to come out again, or contact the CS and ask them to source it at the price it auctioned for.

Like I said there'll always be presenters we don't take to, but when you begin to insult them because of their accent that's a bit mean. Anyone who comes from Essex will speak with that kind of accent, and just because they do doesn't necessarily mean they're an airhead.

This is a forum where we can all express our opinions and I respect everyone has different opinions however I do have to point out that I do not dislike someone purely because of their accent nor would I insult them for that reason. In fact I don't see how it's possible to "dislike" anyone when I haven't met them but what I really dislike is a presenter who talks nonsense and that's a common occurence by some of them on Rocks & Co.

With regards to the Essex accent not necessarily meaning they are an "airhead". I totally agree however in the case of Jerrilee she IS an airhead! Sorry but anyone who carries on like her with her screams and histrionics and saying stupid things such as how shocked she was to see orange in a citrine is not the full shilling!!

I may have led a sheltered life or maybe we just don't put up with carp in Scotland, but I have never in my life experienced a shop assistant in a High Street store up here who acted remotely like that!

Finally I'd just like to say that these "presenters" are in the public eye and are therefore puting themselves forward to be judged by the viewers. If they can't stand the heat then they should get out of the kitchen or learn to do their job properly.

This is a forum where we can all express our opinions and I respect everyone has different opinions however I do have to point out that I do not dislike someone purely because of their accent nor would I insult them for that reason. In fact I don't see how it's possible to "dislike" anyone when I haven't met them but what I really dislike is a presenter who talks nonsense and that's a common occurence by some of them on Rocks & Co.

Hey there Klosblue. Don't know what I do but seems whenever I post an opinion you kind of jump on me. I just gave my opinion in as courteous way as possible and no offence was intended to those who do give constructive opinions/advice. Maybe I shouldn't express my opinion......idk. I agree some of the statements made by the presenters are far fetched, but I've seen the same on other shopping channels too. Me I tend to just smile when that happens and then make my own decision as to whether I like a piece and should buy it. Frankly if any shopping channel auctioned an 18ct platinum AAA ruby and tried to tell me it's the exact same one HM The Queen is wearing chances are I'd dismiss it and wait for the next auction.

With regards to the Essex accent not necessarily meaning they are an "airhead". I totally agree however in the case of Jerrilee she IS an airhead! Sorry but anyone who carries on like her with her screams and histrionics and saying stupid things such as how shocked she was to see orange in a citrine is not the full shilling!!

Oh heck she does go on I'll give you that, but I have seen some members pick fault with her accent also. Perhaps that's the image she's presenting to us, but even if she is an airhead she'd be one regardless of her accent. I just find it highly discriminative for people to bash others on the strength of their accent.

I may have led a sheltered life or maybe we just don't put up with carp in Scotland, but I have never in my life experienced a shop assistant in a High Street store up here who acted remotely like that!

No shop assistant who values their job will act like that, but we're talking about television where most things are 'drama.' High street stores on the other hand will put the hard bite on you if they want a sale, and they will also tell you any old dribble about a piece of jewellery, particularly if they sense the customer isn't very knowledgeable about it. Like I said I was 'conned' by a shop and I'm certainly no fool. Thankfully I knew enough to be able to demand a full refund which I got.

Finally I'd just like to say that these "presenters" are in the public eye and are therefore puting themselves forward to be judged by the viewers. If they can't stand the heat then they should get out of the kitchen or learn to do their job properly.

Anyone in the public eye is open to being judged. Come to think of it I guess we all just judge everyone else regardless of whether they're on the tv or not. I'm as bad as the next one if truth be known, but I make my judgements on their personality, ability, intelligence, manners etc, not their accent.

Just curious Klosblue do you have something against me, because as I said earlier any time I post you seem to single me out. Apologies if I've posted anything you may have felt was directed at you. Believe me it wasn't.

I have loved all of my rocks and co purchases, so far i have only brought silver items so cannot comment on gold weight.

The silver pieces i have brought have been amazing prices, excellent quality, beautiful designs and very nice gemstones of good quality.

Not had any customer service probs so far, all deliverys arrived quickly, items well packaged and in perfect condition.

On several occasions I've missed something in an auction because the web page hasn't loaded and whenever I've contacted Rocks in particular Andrew, that item has been located and delivered. Never had a problem when calling CS, and in fact positively enjoy it sometimes as the people on the other end of the phone I've spoken to have been more than courteous.

For me I buy what I particularly like regardless of the gold weight, because I know if I went to a high street jewellers chances are I'd get ripped off. (Oh what am I talking about.......I did recently but that's another story. :18: ) Once it arrives - if I change my mind or see something better I return it no questions asked.

I'm guilty of being critical of presenters selling tactics because I don't think it's professional and I stand by that 100%. If you are hired to present gemstone jewellery on the television either (a) learn the facts or (b) just have some fun like John Scott! The gems, if they're beautiful, will sell themselves.

Buyers should be given correct and factual information. Unfortunately not all buyers are as savvy as you and they (for example) believe that the start price is a "worth or value" or they believe they have the rarest gemstone in the world.

This forum reaches a great deal of people who may have just started buying jewellery and by having good and bad posts it helps them have a better understanding of what they are getting, rather than believing the hype (and I'm not levelling a criticism at Rocks and Co by saying this as it could equally apply to all of the jewellery shopping channels/internet vendors).

I'll give you a really good example of when a forum was useful recently. I belong to an American diamond and gemstone junkie forum! There had been a number of threads about Padparadscha sapphires (the REAL ones, not colour diffused Pads). Anyway, a lady posted up a picture of a pad coloured sapphire ring from a US tv shopping channel saying "WOW look at the price of this Pad - what a bargain" etc. The thing was, she didn't have a clue that the Pad was colour treated and therefore not worth the amount she thought. She genuinely thought that she'd stumbled on a real Pad for $79! At the end of the life of that thread, the poster understood the difference and decided, because the gemstones weren't what she thought they were, not to make the purchase. You'd be surprised how many people don't do their homework and just buy!

Hey there Klosblue. Don't know what I do but seems whenever I post an opinion you kind of jump on me. I just gave my opinion in as courteous way as possible and no offence was intended to those who do give constructive opinions/advice. Maybe I shouldn't express my opinion......idk.

Just curious Klosblue do you have something against me, because as I said earlier any time I post you seem to single me out. Apologies if I've posted anything you may have felt was directed at you. Believe me it wasn't.

Hi Keisha. I can assure you I have absolutely nothing against you. Just because I have a different opinion is in no way meant as anything personal to you and I'm sorry you feel that. My husband and I differ on loads of things but we've been married for nearly 27 years and I still quite like him!!

My post was purely to point out that I wasn't discriminating against any presenters because of their accents - I'm Scottish so am quite sure there are lots of people who don't like my accent but I would hope they wouldn't dislike me purely because of that! They may dislike me because I can be grumpy, a little opinionated :)54:) and I don't tolerate fools gladly - except when it's me being stupid of course!!

I'm sorry you think I've been jumping on your Keisha that was never intended. If I remember correctly I welcomed you to the forum and I'm delighted that you are posting because the more the merrier in my humble opinion. So please don't take anything I say personally and keep posting. One of these days we may even end up agreeing but I hope at least we can be "Forum Friends". Apologies for any upset I have caused you I promise it was definitely not meant :BigHug:

Hey Klosblue. Seems to be a little misunderstanding here and we've since exchanged pms.

Again there is no need for you to apologise, though I did enjoy the 'Big Hug' :4:

I did laugh though when you said you'd been married 27 years and still like your husband. You're a saint.
:18:

You sound like a really nasty peice of work! These are young women making a living on a shopping channel not GMTV! If you HATE them sooooo much stop watching. Try getting out the house more some sunshine might make you a bit of a nicer person

You sound like a really nasty peice of work! These are young women making a living on a shopping channel not GMTV! If you HATE them sooooo much stop watching. Try getting out the house more some sunshine might make you a bit of a nicer person

What a nasty piece of work YOU are. Each and every one of your posts have been offensive and rude. If you can't say anything nice to anybody then don't say anything at all - in fact, de-register and give us all peace.

Aren't you banned yet?? Feck off. :pPC:

What a ****** windup merchant you are:12: Take no notice of her Klosblue.

Latest posts

Back