PDA

View Full Version : help!

gemdreamer
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi all, i was wondering if you could help me please.

Could anyone give me some info about what TJC's diamond studs with screw backs are like?

Also, does anyone know where i could get diamond earrings with a screw back for under 200 from, other than TJC, as you cannot return earrings at TJC.

I would be grateful for any help, as my 30th birthdays coming up and i am looking for a pressie.

SUPERCOOLWILLOW
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
i`ve never seen screwback ones anywhere else but TJC but i could be wrong

Huggles
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
If you get Iliana (as I did), you won't be disappointed IMHO. I bought .33ct white, gold, studs with the screw back for 229 (if I recall rightly) although they have been sold for as little as 129 in falling auctions. I haven't regretted my purchase as I wear them nearly every day. I work as a community staff nurse and therefore am not allowed to wear anything other than my wedding ring and small stud earrings while on duty. Murder when you love jewellery as much as I do, lol! :2: I especially wanted them with a screw back as I have lost countless earrings in the past through loose backs coming off. I really didn't want to lose one of these earrings! I have had mine now for over eighteen months and they are as sparkly now as the day I got them. I sleep in them quite easily and I can remove them and reinsert them without difficulty. I turn the earring into the back rather than turn the back onto the earring as I find that easier. I really cannot recommend them highly enough, I even bought a yellow gold pair for my daughters 18th. I'm sure you won't regret buying them. :D Happy 30th birthday for when it comes...enjoy your diamonds if you decide to go for it...it's a perfect choice IMHO!

Meeshoo
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree. I've got the .50ct earrings. Exceptionally white and sparkly. They've been valued as being VS1 and F in colour. Excellent value for money and I wear mine everyday too. I don't think their prices can be matched in many other places. Like Huggles I love the screw backs and they're the only earrings I don't lose!

gemdreamer
07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
thank you for your replies, i had some diamond cluster stud earrings with butterfly backs and i lost one!
It is great to hear that the screw backs are good as i want the diamond studs to wear every day and would hate to lose them, especially as they'll be for my birthday.

Does anyone know, are the 0.25ct studs a decent size, can you see them ok in your ears.

thanks again :)

Meeshoo
07-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I think you'll love them!

I've got very big ear lobes (bane of my life!) but the studs are a nice size in. What they lose in size they make up for in sparkle. If you look in the GemsTV section you'll see I posted up a photo of some other earrings I bought recently and in the picture you can see the studs also.

Hope that helps.

Just found the link: http://www.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7315

MissMagpie
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Good luck with your purchase, Gemdreamer - but isn't it maddening that TJC don't allow returns on earrings?

I've seen a pair on their website that I love, but they're very expensive and there's no way I'm risking it. Why can't they just put them in sealed bags, like other channels do? (Or better still just let us try them on properly and sterilise returns with an alcohol wipe - some high-end jewellers in the US do this.)

Pinkpussycat
07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I must be the only person on ST who HATES screw backs and it's prevented me from buying a plat pair of princess cuts that I really wanted from TJC. I've got skinny lobes and they don't do up tightly enough plus imo they are far too fiddly to do up. I have a really beautiful vintage pair of diamond studs that I don't wear because of the backs. :rolleyes: :PPC:

Meeshoo
07-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I must be the only person on ST who HATES screw backs and it's prevented me from buying a plat pair of princess cuts that I really wanted from TJC. I've got skinny lobes and they don't do up tightly enough plus imo they are far too fiddly to do up. I have a really beautiful vintage pair of diamond studs that I don't wear because of the backs. :rolleyes: :PPC:

I am green with envy!

Huggles
07-02-2009, 09:18 PM

How skinny must you be, Pinkpussycat??? :eek: I took my earring out to see how far down I could screw it, and it went to just a couple of mm from the base of the earring. My camera battery died otherwise I'd have posted a picture. I don't screw mine in too tight, as I don't want them making my piercing holes too big, and they have been very comfortable and secure. It's a shame you couldn't try on a pair to see for yourself...maybe TJC might make more sales if they did have a return policy for earrings.
I've just turned the screw right up to the base...so it goes all the way...this is all sounding rather smuty now!

Pinkpussycat
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Sadly it's only me earlobes that are skinny Huggles. :rolleyes: I like a tight fit. :D :PPC:

gemcherub
07-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I love my 1/2ct plat studs from TJC, but i wore them for 3 days and i started to get painful lumps all around the back of my ears, i had to go to the docs in the end and the first thing he said is "have you wore any new earrings?" i had to take a antibiotics!
Don't understand why that happened but haven't dared to wear them since which is a shame because i love them!
Sorry don't mean to put you off i think you will love the studs from TJC and won't need to worry about returning them, because you'll never want to take them out.

Huggles
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Gemcherub, platinum is hypoallergenic so it's really bizarre that you got lumps in both ears. Did you have them in quite tight? Hope you can wear them without the same problem recurring...or, if you want a swap with mine just let me know!

Meeshoo
07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Do you have a nickel allergy Gemcherub? I may be wrong and need to check this but I think sometimes platinum is mixed with nickel as an alloy. I need to look it up but I'm sure the American platinum is 900 and not 950 so would have a larger amount of mixed alloys.

jacqualina
08-02-2009, 07:47 AM

No PPC, you aren't! I bought a beautiful pair of Iliana round tanzanite studs which have the screwbacks. I can't get them into my ears, it's just too painful, so I've never worn them. Do drool over them occasionally when I'm looking in my jewellerey box though!

gemcherub
08-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Gemcherub, platinum is hypoallergenic so it's really bizarre that you got lumps in both ears. Did you have them in quite tight? Hope you can wear them without the same problem recurring...or, if you want a swap with mine just let me know!

I know i said that to my doctor and he said, well they can't be real platinum! i really didn't think it was worth taking the conversation any further, so i left it there, but they are genuine hallmarked 950 platinum!

Do you have a nickel allergy Gemcherub? I may be wrong and need to check this but I think sometimes platinum is mixed with nickel as an alloy. I need to look it up but I'm sure the American platinum is 900 and not 950 so would have a larger amount of mixed alloys.

My ears have always been strange when i was a teenager i could wear silver but yellow gold would make my ears swell, throb and hurt!
Then i didn't wear earrings for about 10 years but started again with 18k white gold and they were fine, so i bought the platinum studs put them in and slept in them ect and as i said developed lumps but not like the problem i had as a teenager, these were tiny solid lumps (like peas) behind my ear from top to bottom about 6 behind each ear, i could only sleep on my back they were so painful.
But they are 950 plt.

Meeshoo
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Talking out of my bum I'm afraid! It's 18k white gold that can be mixed with nickel! However, here's some info on alloys that are routinely mixed with Platinum (in the US). Perhaps you're allergic to one of these?

- Iridium 5% - Used a LOT at Low price internet sites! - 950 (a soft mix)
- Iridium 10% - 900
- Copper 5% - 950
- Cobalt 5% - 950
- Cobalt 3% / 7% Palladium - 900
- Cobalt 5% / 10% Palladium - 850
- Palladium 5% - 950
- Palladium 10% - 900
- Palladium 15% - 850
- Indium 1.5% / 3% Gallium - 950
- Ruthenium 5% - 950
- Tungsten 5% - 950

I was surprised to see Copper in the list and I'm allergic to it so it's good to know!

gemcherub
08-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Blimey i could be allergic to anyone of the above lol
I only have the problem in my ears though! i'm just strange!

Meeshoo
08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Just found this! Anything you want to tell us? :) :)

Platinum is used as a catalyst in the manufacture of silicone breast implants. Because platinum is recognized as a potent sensitizer in certain circumstances, some have expressed concern that women with silicone breast implants are exposed to platinum, which is causing allergic reactions. We searched the literature for information on the level of platinum in breast implants and reports of sensitization that clearly related to platinum in women with breast implants. We found no published report with convincing evidence that platinum causes allergic reactions in women with breast implants or that women with breast implants are any more likely to have allergic reactions than women without breast implants.

You're not strange with the allergy only occuring in one place. That's pretty common. I'm allergic to most nail varnishes and I get a reaction on my face but my hands are fine! Now that's strange! :)

gemcherub
08-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Just found this! Anything you want to tell us? :) :)

Platinum is used as a catalyst in the manufacture of silicone breast implants. Because platinum is recognized as a potent sensitizer in certain circumstances, some have expressed concern that women with silicone breast implants are exposed to platinum, which is causing allergic reactions. We searched the literature for information on the level of platinum in breast implants and reports of sensitization that clearly related to platinum in women with breast implants. We found no published report with convincing evidence that platinum causes allergic reactions in women with breast implants or that women with breast implants are any more likely to have allergic reactions than women without breast implants.
:11: who told you?
You're not strange with the allergy only occuring in one place. That's pretty common. I'm allergic to most nail varnishes and I get a reaction on my face but my hands are fine! Now that's strange! :)
Glad i'm alone lol

gemcherub
08-02-2009, 10:59 AM
LOL that was meant to say "glad i'm NOT alone!" but i missed the edit time!

gemdreamer
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
it is the 9ct or 14ct gold studs, 0.25 or 0.33cts i am looking at, what would be a good price and are they nice? thanks all :)

p.s i have had a bit of help in the *cough* clevage department by the silicone fairy so i'll stay away from platinum.

really interesting post, thanks Meeshoo. all the allergy info was really good to know as i had never thought about what is added to metals before :)

gemcherub
08-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure about 9ct or 14ct but the 18ct gold studs have been on air alot in the Iliana under 200 hour, 0.25 @179 and 0.33@199 as Iliana are G-H colur and SI clarity they are beautiful and i'm sure if you can stretch to Iliana you will be very happy with them.
I'm not 100% sure but i think i've seen the 14ct 0.25 around 129 HTH

Meeshoo
08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh Gemdreamer you made me giggle!

As for price? In all honesty with the prices GC has mentioned above you can't go wrong. If you price up in the High Street for the same size and clarity with screw backs I'm positive you'll be paying much more.

I'd say to get them without hesitation because they're a really good deal.

Sacha
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Gemdreamer

I got a pair of TJC's stud earrings last year with the screw back and have found them to be quite comfortable and very secure.......at least until I take them off......and now I can't remember where I put them!! :mysmilie_738.gif:

For a very reasonable price of 44, they are Teal Blue Diamond 0.25cts set in 14k YG.
Quite small and dainty looking for everyday wear and a nice colour blue.

Item code 539697....sorry, can't do the links.

gemdreamer
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
thanks all, i'll keep my eyes peeled for some on TJC at a good price and grab some! Thanks again for all your help, your a bunch of superstars :)

nannieA
08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Gemdreamer,many years ago I lived in the Canary

Hi Gemdreamer,Many years ago I lived in the Canary Islands and all their stud earrings had screw backs.I had a pair if cultured pearls I wore every day,they were comfortable and very secure,I would get them every time if I could. Butterflies are fiddly,easily lost and uncomfortable.

gemdreamer
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I keep seeing this thing on TJC saying don't forget to use your 10 off voucher, anyone know what thats all about?:6:

gemcherub
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I think just before Christmas they were doing a promo, when you ordered an item over a certain amount of money they would give you a 10 voucher to spend between January and February.
Have you been looking out for your studs today then?

gemdreamer
09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
yes gemcherub, i've been looking, but haven't found any yet :)

gemcherub
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
yes gemcherub, i've been looking, but haven't found any yet :)

Email the studio - studio@tjc.co.uk ask them for the ones your after and they can tell you if and when they are on air, saves you watching endless hours looking out for them.

gemdreamer
14-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have a photo of the 0.25ct studs in their ears so i can see what they look like size wise please?

also, is 99 a good price of 14ct white gold 0.25ct stud earrings? or do they go for cheaper?

i'd be grateful for any help :)

gemdreamer
14-02-2009, 03:33 PM
also just noticed that the picture on the earrings i am interested in it says 18k, they have a screw back, but it is the 14ct i am interested in, so they must have put the wrong picture on, how do i know if the 14k ones will also have screw backs? i am concerned as earrings are non returnable? they are item code 574441

Huggles
14-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Hope this helps...they definitely have screw backs in this image.
https://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=574441

Oooops, see what you mean, they say 18ct on the butterfly. I'd call customer services, they might up-grade you if the 14ct don't have screw backs. They've always been very generous when I've had an issue.

klara
14-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a pair of 14k white gold diamond studs, 33pts, which cost me 129 (+ p&p) and they have screw backs. Well worth having, but I don't have any pics of them in!

gemdreamer
14-02-2009, 07:28 PM
oh no! just rang TJC customer services to ask if they are def screw backs and customer service offices are closed! all other channels are open later!

don't know what to do now

Huggles
14-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I saw them on air tonight, they had the same item number anyway and the on-line details were the same with the picture of an 18ct butterfly. They were screw back! You should email the studio because they will have them in their studio, maybe they can answer your querie live on air just to reassure you. If you don't want to take the risk wait till Monday, I'm sure they'll honour that price if you speak to the personal shopper. Goodluck!

Huggles
14-02-2009, 07:52 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/Huggles_bucket/DSC00278.jpg

These are my .33ct earrings, so approx .16ct in each earring. I don't think they look too small as they sparkle so brilliantly. I'm fairly sure if you go for the .25ct earrings (which will be .12ct approx in each earring)they won't be too small @ 3.3mm. Hope this helps with your decision, gemdreamer.

Meeshoo
14-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Gemdreamer - I'm pretty sure that all the diamond studs they have are screw back. However, my knowledge is very out of date so don't rely on me!

gemdreamer
14-02-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks guys, i am grateful for your help. your earrings look lovely in huggles, i want some more than ever now! :) i'll give emailing the studio a go

gemdreamer
14-02-2009, 08:22 PM
also, is 99 for the 14ct 0.25ct studs a good price do you think? huggles, what mm are your earrings please? :)

Huggles
14-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Gemdreamer, I've rummaged around and found the original receipt and authenticity card but the size isn't recorded. This isn't accurate because I put them next to a bog standard measuring tape and I'd say using my eyes that they measure just shy of 3mm, but I stress that is using my eyes which will not be as accurate as jewellers measuring calliper thingy's. If they say your .25ct earrings are 3.3mm then they'll be bigger than mine! Maybe mine are denser? Hope this helps.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/Huggles_bucket/DSC00309.jpg

Meeshoo
14-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Does this help Gemdreamer?

http://www.ajediam.com/Sizes-of-Diamonds.html

You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference in size between the ones you want and Huggles' lovely earrings. Look at the link and you'll see a visual representation of approximate size.

gemdreamer
15-02-2009, 12:04 AM
thats great meeshoo, thank you, really helpful. i tried looking on the web myself but couldn't find anything. thanks again :)

gemdreamer
19-02-2009, 11:49 AM
just wanted to let you guys know that i did order the stud earrings, 0.25ct 14ct white gold ones, and they arrived today! they are PERFECT! i love them, thank you sooooooo much for all your help.
I wouldn't have ordered them without your imput, so thanks again.

They were a bit hard to get in i must say, but i got there in the end, and they look fab.

:) :) :) :)

any tips, am i ok to leave them in when i wash my hair etc? anything that could harm them? thanks

Huggles
19-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Yey!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done gemdreamer, so glad you took the plunge and are happy with your new earrings:). I hardly ever take my earrings out these days unless I'm going somewhere special and change to dangly's. I do everything with them in, including showering and dying my hair...(maybe I should take them out when dying my hair but I forget :1:) and they've come to no harm so far. My advice is just don't screw them too tight, but apart from that I don't think you can go far wrong. :)

gemcherub
19-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Great news glad you love them, lots of people leave them in all the time, i think it should be fine.

Meeshoo
19-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah!!!!! Great news!

I leave mine in all the time - only take them out weekly for a dip in the ultrasonic! If you do keep them in, just be careful because very occasionally the screws loosen slightly so just check periodically that they're not working loose.

By the way, I think the posts on the screw backs are larger than "normal" posts which is why you had a little trouble getting them in. I have exactly the same problem.

gemdreamer
19-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I noticed the posts were longer too meeshoo, i think maybe they are a bit wider on the screw back posts too, as when i couldn't get them to go in, i had to force them in (clearly i wasn't going to admit defeat and not wear them :eek:), my holes are now red and sore. taking the earrings out felt strange too, but the studs are so pretty, well worth some ear hole soreness!

great to know i can leave them in, bit of a nightmare having to keep taking them out and putting them in. I haven't got a sonic cleaner, can i clean them any other way every few weeks to keep them sparkling and at their best? :) :)

Meeshoo
19-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry I meant I thought the posts were thicker!

To clean, use a soft old toothbrush and some washing up liquid with tepid water! It's the best thing. Dry using a lint free cloth. Job done!

gemdreamer
19-02-2009, 09:19 PM
thanks meeshoo :)