help!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

gemdreamer

Registered Shopper
Hi all, i was wondering if you could help me please.

Could anyone give me some info about what TJC's diamond studs with screw backs are like?

Also, does anyone know where i could get diamond earrings with a screw back for under £200 from, other than TJC, as you cannot return earrings at TJC.

I would be grateful for any help, as my 30th birthdays coming up and i am looking for a pressie.

Great choice!

If you get Iliana (as I did), you won't be disappointed IMHO. I bought .33ct white, gold, studs with the screw back for £229 (if I recall rightly) although they have been sold for as little as £129 in falling auctions. I haven't regretted my purchase as I wear them nearly every day. I work as a community staff nurse and therefore am not allowed to wear anything other than my wedding ring and small stud earrings while on duty. Murder when you love jewellery as much as I do, lol! :2: I especially wanted them with a screw back as I have lost countless earrings in the past through loose backs coming off. I really didn't want to lose one of these earrings! I have had mine now for over eighteen months and they are as sparkly now as the day I got them. I sleep in them quite easily and I can remove them and reinsert them without difficulty. I turn the earring into the back rather than turn the back onto the earring as I find that easier. I really cannot recommend them highly enough, I even bought a yellow gold pair for my daughters 18th. I'm sure you won't regret buying them. :D Happy 30th birthday for when it comes...enjoy your diamonds if you decide to go for it...it's a perfect choice IMHO!

I agree. I've got the .50ct earrings. Exceptionally white and sparkly. They've been valued as being VS1 and F in colour. Excellent value for money and I wear mine everyday too. I don't think their prices can be matched in many other places. Like Huggles I love the screw backs and they're the only earrings I don't lose!

thank you for your replies, i had some diamond cluster stud earrings with butterfly backs and i lost one!
It is great to hear that the screw backs are good as i want the diamond studs to wear every day and would hate to lose them, especially as they'll be for my birthday.

Does anyone know, are the 0.25ct studs a decent size, can you see them ok in your ears.

thanks again :)

I think you'll love them!

I've got very big ear lobes (bane of my life!) but the studs are a nice size in. What they lose in size they make up for in sparkle. If you look in the GemsTV section you'll see I posted up a photo of some other earrings I bought recently and in the picture you can see the studs also.

Hope that helps.

Just found the link: http://www.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7315

Last edited:
Good luck with your purchase, Gemdreamer - but isn't it maddening that TJC don't allow returns on earrings?

I've seen a pair on their website that I love, but they're very expensive and there's no way I'm risking it. Why can't they just put them in sealed bags, like other channels do? (Or better still just let us try them on properly and sterilise returns with an alcohol wipe - some high-end jewellers in the US do this.)

I must be the only person on ST who HATES screw backs and it's prevented me from buying a plat pair of princess cuts that I really wanted from TJC. I've got skinny lobes and they don't do up tightly enough plus imo they are far too fiddly to do up. I have a really beautiful vintage pair of diamond studs that I don't wear because of the backs. :rolleyes: :pPC:

I must be the only person on ST who HATES screw backs and it's prevented me from buying a plat pair of princess cuts that I really wanted from TJC. I've got skinny lobes and they don't do up tightly enough plus imo they are far too fiddly to do up. I have a really beautiful vintage pair of diamond studs that I don't wear because of the backs. :rolleyes: :pPC:

I am green with envy!

How skinny must you be, Pinkpussycat??? :eek: I took my earring out to see how far down I could screw it, and it went to just a couple of mm from the base of the earring. My camera battery died otherwise I'd have posted a picture. I don't screw mine in too tight, as I don't want them making my piercing holes too big, and they have been very comfortable and secure. It's a shame you couldn't try on a pair to see for yourself...maybe TJC might make more sales if they did have a return policy for earrings.
I've just turned the screw right up to the base...so it goes all the way...this is all sounding rather smuty now!

Last edited:
Sadly it's only me earlobes that are skinny Huggles. :rolleyes: I like a tight fit. :D :pPC:

I love my 1/2ct plat studs from TJC, but i wore them for 3 days and i started to get painful lumps all around the back of my ears, i had to go to the docs in the end and the first thing he said is "have you wore any new earrings?" i had to take a antibiotics!
Don't understand why that happened but haven't dared to wear them since which is a shame because i love them!
Sorry don't mean to put you off i think you will love the studs from TJC and won't need to worry about returning them, because you'll never want to take them out.

Gemcherub, platinum is hypoallergenic so it's really bizarre that you got lumps in both ears. Did you have them in quite tight? Hope you can wear them without the same problem recurring...or, if you want a swap with mine just let me know!

Do you have a nickel allergy Gemcherub? I may be wrong and need to check this but I think sometimes platinum is mixed with nickel as an alloy. I need to look it up but I'm sure the American platinum is 900 and not 950 so would have a larger amount of mixed alloys.

No PPC, you aren't! I bought a beautiful pair of Iliana round tanzanite studs which have the screwbacks. I can't get them into my ears, it's just too painful, so I've never worn them. Do drool over them occasionally when I'm looking in my jewellerey box though!

Gemcherub, platinum is hypoallergenic so it's really bizarre that you got lumps in both ears. Did you have them in quite tight? Hope you can wear them without the same problem recurring...or, if you want a swap with mine just let me know!

I know i said that to my doctor and he said, well they can't be real platinum! i really didn't think it was worth taking the conversation any further, so i left it there, but they are genuine hallmarked 950 platinum!

Do you have a nickel allergy Gemcherub? I may be wrong and need to check this but I think sometimes platinum is mixed with nickel as an alloy. I need to look it up but I'm sure the American platinum is 900 and not 950 so would have a larger amount of mixed alloys.

My ears have always been strange when i was a teenager i could wear silver but yellow gold would make my ears swell, throb and hurt!
Then i didn't wear earrings for about 10 years but started again with 18k white gold and they were fine, so i bought the platinum studs put them in and slept in them ect and as i said developed lumps but not like the problem i had as a teenager, these were tiny solid lumps (like peas) behind my ear from top to bottom about 6 behind each ear, i could only sleep on my back they were so painful.
But they are 950 plt.

Talking out of my bum I'm afraid! It's 18k white gold that can be mixed with nickel! However, here's some info on alloys that are routinely mixed with Platinum (in the US). Perhaps you're allergic to one of these?

- Iridium 5% - Used a LOT at Low price internet sites! - 950 (a soft mix)
- Iridium 10% - 900
- Copper 5% - 950
- Cobalt 5% - 950
- Cobalt 3% / 7% Palladium - 900
- Cobalt 5% / 10% Palladium - 850
- Palladium 5% - 950
- Palladium 10% - 900
- Palladium 15% - 850
- Indium 1.5% / 3% Gallium - 950
- Ruthenium 5% - 950
- Tungsten 5% - 950

I was surprised to see Copper in the list and I'm allergic to it so it's good to know!

Just found this! Anything you want to tell us? :) :)

Platinum is used as a catalyst in the manufacture of silicone breast implants. Because platinum is recognized as a potent sensitizer in certain circumstances, some have expressed concern that women with silicone breast implants are exposed to platinum, which is causing allergic reactions. We searched the literature for information on the level of platinum in breast implants and reports of sensitization that clearly related to platinum in women with breast implants. We found no published report with convincing evidence that platinum causes allergic reactions in women with breast implants or that women with breast implants are any more likely to have allergic reactions than women without breast implants.

You're not strange with the allergy only occuring in one place. That's pretty common. I'm allergic to most nail varnishes and I get a reaction on my face but my hands are fine! Now that's strange! :)

Just found this! Anything you want to tell us? :) :)

Platinum is used as a catalyst in the manufacture of silicone breast implants. Because platinum is recognized as a potent sensitizer in certain circumstances, some have expressed concern that women with silicone breast implants are exposed to platinum, which is causing allergic reactions. We searched the literature for information on the level of platinum in breast implants and reports of sensitization that clearly related to platinum in women with breast implants. We found no published report with convincing evidence that platinum causes allergic reactions in women with breast implants or that women with breast implants are any more likely to have allergic reactions than women without breast implants.
:11: who told you?
You're not strange with the allergy only occuring in one place. That's pretty common. I'm allergic to most nail varnishes and I get a reaction on my face but my hands are fine! Now that's strange! :)
Glad i'm alone lol

Latest posts

Back