Tanzanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
I have never understood why, if tanzanite is " a thousand times rarer than diamonds" as quoted by presenters, tanzanite jewellery does not cost a thousand times more than diamond jewellery?

Maybe someone could shed some light?

Linda:52:

Virtually all the world's diamonds are controlled by De Beers and they keep the price artificially high. I'm sure someone else will be along with the finer details.

Well truth be told diamonds are not rare. They are mined in lots of places world wide. But not all diamonds are gem jewellery quality, but they are used in engineering and even the old fashion record player used diamond needles to play the records.

Tanzanite only comes from one place in the world so far.

The good quality tanzanite (the really deep bluey violet colour) is expensive. If you look at the AAA Tanzanite on QVC it averages between £1500 and £3000 !

I have a lovely pair of white gold tanzanite earrings (a present from my husband when he was out in South Africa) which cost over £200.

Basically the bluer the stone the more expensive the item is !

Tanzanite supply is also tightly controlled by one company I believe. DeBeers is indeed an extremely clever marketing machine :)

Latest posts

Back