Orek TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

concordia

Easily Confused
Anyone got an Oreck? Is it worth the money or just an average machine? Is this a good price - they say it's stripped down, wonder what that means? :33: I hear many people have problems with them, belts needing replacements etc. What's your experience?

Hi - I got one a couple of years ago. No better than the usual cleaner IMO. You have to replace the bags. The fact that it will go under the bed is useful but I replaced mine with a Dyson, as I find the "on board" tools more useful. Not cheap at the price either.

I've had an Oreck for about 4 years now and I find it brilliant, especially for picking up the fur from my Bearded Collie. It's lightweight too which is an added bonus as so many other brands like Dyson are really heavy. We've changed the belt but I wouldn't say that it was any more than on previous cleaners we've had. I appreciate it's not the most modern looking of appliances but I'm more than satisfied with the end result.

I have noticed that "Henry" is very popular at the moment but I've no idea if he's weighty or not and to me that's a very important point.

Can't praise Oreck enough. I replaced my first one a few months ago after 12 years trouble free, I think the motor finally died having coped with my daughter's long hairs on the carpet for over 10 years!

In that time I've known dyson evangelists replace their vacuums 3 or 4 times.

My main point in buying is the weight, not just to carry but to push. Other vacuums I've tried aggravate my lower back whereas the oreck doesn't.

hope that helps...they sell the replacement bags and belts on qvc and ebay but the bags last ages.

hth

Jude x

Yes these machines have puzzled me too!

They look so old fashioned but are so very expensive. I loved the liberation that came with my Dyson of bagless technology. How I used to detest them and returning to them would feel like a backwards step for me.

I bought my first Dyson 11 years ago and did replace the first one after about five years. I actually replaced it because I saw a newer model in the sale and my hose had split plus I had lost a tool (not really an excuse for a purchase I know). No it is not light to lift but pushing it around is no issue.

I think they have recently improved them yet again anyway. I have consistently heard people say good things about Henry too.

I find it hard to see how anyone could persuade me into an Oreck really.

A pity it isn't the TSV on sunday when everything is supposed to be on easy pay.

My sister has a oreck and loves it. I have had a couple of Dysons and they normally 'die' after about 5 years. They just loose all their suction (not what the advert says at all!!). They are also very heavy. The last vacuum I bought about 12 months ago and went for a cheap and cheerful one which was about £60 ish from an Argos sale and I love it - it has a great brush for the stairs. The reasoning was I could buy a new one every couple of years and it would still work out cheaper than replacing the expensive Dysons - and 12 months guarantee each time.

Hi all

I have a very aged Miele. It must be nearly 25 years old and is still going strong although it did have one visit to the "hospital" many years ago. It's a bit scruffy but otherwise great.

Remember looking at Dyson's one day but the woman in the shop said that the Miele was far superior. I know they are expensive but they do last!

With any vacuum cleaner that is belt driven ie uprights,you should replace the belts fairly regularly even if they do not snap,the reason being that they will stretch over time and make the cleaner less efficient.Think of it as an annual self maintenance,replace or clean filters,replace belt,take apart and ensure no blockages in hoses etc......just some tips from someone who worked in electrical retailing for 12 years and lost count of the amount of times supposed 'faulty' vacuums just needed a damn good clean!!!!:54::20:

With any vacuum cleaner that is belt driven ie uprights,you should replace the belts fairly regularly even if they do not snap,the reason being that they will stretch over time and make the cleaner less efficient.Think of it as an annual self maintenance,replace or clean filters,replace belt,take apart and ensure no blockages in hoses etc......just some tips from someone who worked in electrical retailing for 12 years and lost count of the amount of times supposed 'faulty' vacuums just needed a damn good clean!!!!:54::20:

EXCELLENT advice Sweetpea, we recently changed the drive belt on my Dyson Animal, a nightmare that was as it had to be stripped down (hubby did it!) and I just couldn't believe how much difference it made, it was like new. It lead me to realising that ALL vacs need frequent belt changes due to use. I try and keep my vac in tip top condition and I like the fact that Dyson can have ANY part replaced at any point and with a little internet research, can be done by a mechanicla minded person.

I'm still on the look out for a new vac tho as I hate doing the stairs with mine, it really hurts my back and I suffer for a long time afterward and this Oreck tempted me. Still doing research, which I think is half the fun of buying something, checking reviews and my current fave in the George, the wet and dry version of the Henry. I'm such a housewife, getting excited by a vacuum cleaner.:30:

my mother in law has an oreck and she likes it,I am not sure if she has had any problems with it but it suits her because it is so lightweight,she is 80 and has quite bad arthritic wrists and fingers so it makes life easier in that way for her.She got hers around 2 years ago,must have been ok because if it wasnt she would have had my husband looking at it by now! they look a bit old fashioned but who cares as long as it does the job,we have a dyson and I find it very heavy especially when I have to cart it up and down the stairs!

EXCELLENT advice Sweetpea, we recently changed the drive belt on my Dyson Animal, a nightmare that was as it had to be stripped down (hubby did it!) and I just couldn't believe how much difference it made, it was like new. It lead me to realising that ALL vacs need frequent belt changes due to use. I try and keep my vac in tip top condition and I like the fact that Dyson can have ANY part replaced at any point and with a little internet research, can be done by a mechanicla minded person.

I'm still on the look out for a new vac tho as I hate doing the stairs with mine, it really hurts my back and I suffer for a long time afterward and this Oreck tempted me. Still doing research, which I think is half the fun of buying something, checking reviews and my current fave in the George, the wet and dry version of the Henry. I'm such a housewife, getting excited by a vacuum cleaner.:30:
When I posted I thought I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs!!!

I am in the same position as you,I have a Dyson and I can't complain about it's efficiency but I hate it because it is so heavy to use and I am also looking to buy a new vac for this reason.Even with my electrical retailing 'knowledge' though it was 10 years ago since I was made redundant,I am finding it hard to nail down a choice.

My problem usually arises from wishing to purchase a good quality appliance but my purse not being able to stretch(isn't it the same with everything we want!!)

The problem I see with this Oreck is that whilst it is indeed lightweight it lacks versatility because of the lack of crevice tools etc,it will be no good for stairs,so for the price you pay I personally don't think you are getting value for money.I am leaning towards the Henry myself......good reviews,versatility,reliability and a reasonable price.I aslo feel that cylinder style vacuums are lighter to use in many respects because you only carry the hose and the rest(the weighty bit) drags behind you on wheels.The thing with cylinder cleaners also is that they tend to be more reliable due to the dust going straight into the bag/cylinder compartment,whereas with uprights the dust travels over the motor compartment and can lead to motor failures.

I am now definitely talking myself into a Henry lol.........but Miele and Sebo would also be consideration if my purse can stretch,these both make very reliable and sturdy machines and if I was still in the industry would be ones I would recommend also.

I have an Oreck and I would agree that its main advantage is the weight, really light to carry upstairs, and also it has a really long cord and will drop completely flat, handy for cleaning under beds.

Its disadvantages are that it uses bags (which you have to order from QVC or the Oreck website) and whatever they say I don't think it is suitable for laminate floors as it has a brush beater bar which can't be 'lifted up' as on other cleaners. I think I may have damaged my laminate floor by using the Oreck on it, there are small chips where some of the pieces join together.

The main disadvantage is the lack of on-board tools, it's really annoying to have to go and get another cleaner to finish the rooms properly. I've got a Dyson now and keep the Oreck upstairs.

Oh and another disadvantage is that if you leave it out and people come round (not QVC viewers) you get "What the hell's that thing?" and much laughter and amusement. They think you've been keeping it in a cupboard since the fifties!! :LS:

Oh and another disadvantage is that if you leave it out and people come round (not QVC viewers) you get "What the hell's that thing?" and much laughter and amusement. They think you've been keeping it in a cupboard since the fifties!! :LS:

Lol that made me roar with laughter ty :D That's what I find strange about their styling cos it doesn't have the satisfaction of a shiny new purchase - yes I am very shallow!

Lack on onboard tools def sounds a nuisance and had no idea about the hard flooring thing. My dyson automatically adjusts and just as well because I have quite a mixture of hard floors, rugs and carpets. I find the dyson fine for stairs because the hose extends so far.

I have been thinking about getting one of those Robot vacuums to wander around by itself, particularly upstairs :D

I love my henry but would to love to get a hetty, but there is nothing wrong with my henry.he is the longest i have had a hooover.

I love my Oreck . Much prefer it to my old Dyson . I've had it 5 years and nothing has gone wrong except the belt which needed replacing . Does a better job than the Dyson and is a lot lighter.
I have seen the Oreck quite a few times in the Shrewsbury Outlet at a really good price . If I were you I would give 'em a ring and ask them to save you one when they are returned after the TSV . That's if you live nearby of course .
I think 'stripped down' just means they are selling it on its own and not with the small one . That's what Anthony said .

Last edited:
Well I've got a bit of a downer on Dyson's since I fell down the stairs with mine and twisted my ankle rather badly-totally NOT my fault!:55:
We now have a Miele which cost £99 from Tesco online. It's very efficient and as good as the Dyson was which was twice the price.

I've had 3 Dysons. They were very good, but were heavy. I've also had a Vax cylinder hoover but it drove me mad lugging it round the room.

I've been using an Electrolux for the past year and so have got used to changing hoover bags again and it's good, but not brilliant ........... so I succumbed this evening and went for the TSV. The look is a little retro, but if it does a good job and is lighter than the ones I've had in the past then I'm going to give it a go.

Latest posts

Back