Funny phone call

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thunderstorm

Registered Shopper
About an hour ago i got a call from a woman saying she was from Bid tv. I didn't have a clue why they were calling.

She was really hard to understand so i put the phone down on her. She called back, but again her accent was so hard to understand what she was saying i put the phone down again.
She called back again so i decided to continue with it. She said she needed my pin number and password to cancel the order. Well considering i haven't ordered anything from them this year i was, to say the least, shocked.
She did not say what the item was she was cancelling, but as soon as i said my pin number and password she said thank you, the order is cancelled, bye.

Very strange...

Wasn't there another thread about this very thing recently? Have you got caller id? Can you phone the number back to check it's really them? Alternatively call bid up and ask why they're calling you?

Thunderstorm - please call Bid IMMEDIATELY and get your details changed. Someone can now use this to log into your account.

Argey

Shouldn't have told her the ID and pin...no matter what...
You better call Bid and change details, as Argey suggested...

I have been to work tonight. Got back and logged into Bid tv website checked my account and found out "what i ordered"

I seems i ordered a HD camera off Bid tv website last week. BUT I KNOW I DIDN'T
There is no-one else who knows my details, but the funny thing is, when i was a bit reluctant to give my password the lady said to me it's **** ****

I think i have had my Sit-up account broken into, and thinking about tonights events and after thinking, could a member of their staff be responsible for this??

Last edited:
I have been to work tonight. Got back and logged into Bid tv website checked my account and found out "what i ordered"

There is no-one else who knows my details, but the funny thing is, when i was a bit reluctant to give my password the lady said to me it's **** ****

I think i have had my Sit-up account broken into, and thinking about tonights events and after thinking, could a member of their staff be responsible for this??[/QUOTE]

Hi Thunderstorm,

This is something that troubles me about all companies that hold your personal details. Companies such as the Sit-Up channels seem to have such transient temporary staff who may well take work purely for the reasons of information gathering, which they can later use or sell on. It's a worry and I don't wish to become paranoid, but in the case of Sit-Up staff should not have your passwords, as this is a company's safeguard for keeping your details private.

There's a scam that I've heard about, whereby people fill in order forms from your rubbish bin. They will then hang around outside the house waiting for the delivery guy. When he comes they make it look like they are just leaving and ask is that for ..............., and say that they'll sign for it on the street. Off goes courier, off goes thief with the swag, and you get the bill.

All we can do really is remain vigilant and be very careful of passwords, etc. Any whiff of something dodgy and check it out. It could also be just human error, but I think a call to customer services needs to be made.

Good luck
Argey :6:

I think i have had my Sit-up account broken into, and thinking about tonights events and after thinking, could a member of their staff be responsible for this??

Have they now cancelled the order?

Blimey, Thunder, this all sounds proper dodge!!!!

If I were you, I would contact CS and get yourself put through to a manager. Request that they close your account down completely (you mention that you haven't ordered for a while, so if you decide to start over again with them, you can always open a new one!), and remove any personal info they hold (any bank details, pass words - that kind of thing) from your account. Tell them that you will phone again in a fortnight and request a copy of your all the account info they hold for you (this will include notes made by advisors any time you have called, details of ordrs you have placed etc), as is your right under the data protection act, and if any of this data is still showing, then you will contact the Information Commissioner and take things further (bearing in mind that if found guilty of a breach of DPA the INDIVIDUAL is fined 3k, not the company - that's a whole seperate fine). This ought to make sure they do it, and also protect you from any unscrupulous so and so's from ordering anything in your name!!!

Honestly, its amazing how much gets done for you as soon as you make it clear that you have a pretty good knowledge of the DPA!!!!!! Lol!!! :)

This just goes to show how shoddy Sit-up are:
I am trying to give customer feedback on their website, but it asks for the date of auction, the options only go as far as 2008!!!!!!!

Bid phoned me AGAIN tonight asking for my 4 digit security number and password.
This time it was to confirm the closure of my account so i told the person on the phone, although with the accent i'm not sure if it was a male or female i was talking to!!

I have tried to use my details to log into bid and price drop websites since the call and i can confirm they have now closed my account.

At least they have done something right for a change :54:

If someone EVER asks you for your PIN and PASSWORD,

NEVER EVER EVER EVER give them the details, no matter WHO the company is.

No company should need this information to access your account - IF they are legitimate.

This is a scam.

Sometimes a company might ask for certain letters/numbers from your secret pin or password, but only give this information if you have been used to doing it in the past.

If you are in any doubt, ask for a name and phone number on which YOU can call them back via a main switchboard so that you can check first if the company is legitimate (google phone numbers - you can find if the number is legitimate then). Again if you are in doubt, then call the main number of a company via the information you can get from the public domain - phone books, 123.com etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back