Any Laptops soon??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JillzzZ

Registered Shopper
Does anyone know if QVC will be having a laptop TSV on soon???

I had a bit of a BIG disaster with mine on Valentine's Day :(

It was a Toshiba from QVC a few years ago and have to say brilliant, I loved it so much & was always careful to keep tea & drinks etc. away from it .. then BOOM ...

.. on Valentine's Day I hada lovely rose in a vase beside it and without warning ..oh dear :eek: it tipped over and ALL the water went onto my laptop..

I did all the right things to save it BUT it is completely ruined .. its dead .. the annoying thing is the rose is still looking pretty :40: :17: I know it's only a PC but I am devastated!

I have looked on internet for a replacement but cannot find one as good as the one from QVC

:58: ... Hmm.. they should make laptops with waterproof keyboards??

My son knocked a whole cup of cola over my laptop a short while ago. It appeared to die completely and would not even turn on but has in fact recovered so be sure yours is definitely dead because cola is more damaging than water!

Assumed totally dead so seemed nothing to lose in trying. After putting it at various angles to drain the liquid slowly from everywhere I then left it upside down on a table near the radiator for a couple of weeks - because everything important sits under the keyboard where the cola entered. It slowly stuttered back to life after this. First it powered up but no operating system so I reinstalled everything. The keyboard was a bit sticky at first and also it did weird things when loading windows - sort of stuttering.

However, after a week or so of this it seemed to behave normally and I am typing on it now! Still wonder about it long term because cola is corrosive but it has behaved perfectly for the last month :)

Last edited:
They say with mobile phone if you drop them in water - do not switch them on to see if they are working as you will 'fry' it. Dry out first before trying and you should be ok. Have never done it so don't know if this is correct.

Is this the same with laptops????

Yes absolutely true. Apparently the best thing is to shut it down as rapidly as possible ie just push the power button fast. They then recommend not turning it on again until really fully dried out and yes this is probably weeks!

I only learned all this post event when researching hope of bring my laptop back to life when really it appeared totally dead. Stupidly I thought my son had just spilt a bit on the keyboard and just wiped it away and then it went boom dead. He didn't want to admit just how much had gone on it and it was only when it kept pouring out that I started to realise. In meantime I had attempted to turn it on several times which was not the thing to do.

I'm lucky it works at all as cola is famous for rusting the components so pray it continues to live :)

I have looked on internet for a replacement but cannot find one as good as the one from QVC

Look on ebay if you want to rebuy the same model laptop. There are plenty of other retailers who sell laptops, but it depends what spec + price are you after?

Actually another thought. If it really is destined for laptop heaven then check your contents policy because they are often covered for accidental damage.

There was an infamous series of events when I was in France when I emptied ash into a plastic bucket which burst into flames. I tipped the ash outside, around a rose bush espaliered to the front wall, and the next thing I knew, the whole of the bush was on fire. After putting it out with washing-up water, I staggered in, poured myself a glass of sherry, fell over the dog and emptied the whole lot into my laptop.

It died.

Two weeks later, back in London, I turned it on, just to test, and it bounced back to life, none the worse for its ordeal.

Don't give up hope yet...

They do as we have them at work :)

But they are around £2,500 each !

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YClt8Pq_rjs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YClt8Pq_rjs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

They say with mobile phone if you drop them in water - do not switch them on to see if they are working as you will 'fry' it. Dry out first before trying and you should be ok. Have never done it so don't know if this is correct.

However, if you wash a mobile phone on the gentle cycle of a washing machine it still doesn't work even when it's been dried out for days.:54: And how do I know this? Because I've washed two different mobile phones in the washing machine on two separate occasions because I put the washing on the unit and then gathered it up to put in the machine, and gathered the phone up at the same time. It wasn't until I heard the clonking that I realised.

I'm not sure what would happen if you washed a laptop though .......... I've not done that yet. ;)

My son knocked a whole cup of cola over my laptop a short while ago. It appeared to die completely and would not even turn on but has in fact recovered so be sure yours is definitely dead because cola is more damaging than water!

Assumed totally dead so seemed nothing to lose in trying. After putting it at various angles to drain the liquid slowly from everywhere I then left it upside down on a table near the radiator for a couple of weeks - because everything important sits under the keyboard where the cola entered. It slowly stuttered back to life after this. First it powered up but no operating system so I reinstalled everything. The keyboard was a bit sticky at first and also it did weird things when loading windows - sort of stuttering.

However, after a week or so of this it seemed to behave normally and I am typing on it now! Still wonder about it long term because cola is corrosive but it has behaved perfectly for the last month :)

OH WOW .. thanQ you so much for this :1:

I am so pleased your laptop is ok (that's given me hope) I will leave it for a few more weeks, although I did take it into a shop, they had a look and its badly water damaged and sticky (hmm.. don't think it liked the flower food much) :-(

a107 .. thanQ, yes hadn't thought of e-bay.. I'll have a look if all else fails..

There was an infamous series of events when I was in France when I emptied ash into a plastic bucket which burst into flames. I tipped the ash outside, around a rose bush espaliered to the front wall, and the next thing I knew, the whole of the bush was on fire. After putting it out with washing-up water, I staggered in, poured myself a glass of sherry, fell over the dog and emptied the whole lot into my laptop.

It died.

Two weeks later, back in London, I turned it on, just to test, and it bounced back to life, none the worse for its ordeal.

Don't give up hope yet...

:11: Satis your message sounds familiar...

the times I have tripped over the dogs .. mainly trying to get to the phone to order things LOL :1:

Glad you laptop is ok... aagh, don't hold out much hope for mine tho (but will give it a wee bit longer! :)

However, if you wash a mobile phone on the gentle cycle of a washing machine it still doesn't work even when it's been dried out for days.:54: And how do I know this? Because I've washed two different mobile phones in the washing machine on two separate occasions because I put the washing on the unit and then gathered it up to put in the machine, and gathered the phone up at the same time. It wasn't until I heard the clonking that I realised.

I'm not sure what would happen if you washed a laptop though .......... I've not done that yet. ;)

ROLF Toril (I am v. sorry about your phones) just glad I'm not the only one to do things like that..

I'm learning now .. water most certainly does NOT like electronic equipment..

A while back I was on hol in Barbados it was soo hot, we had an ice bucket in the room to cool the drinks,.. hehe clever clogs here (me) decided to take a photo on self timer YES, (blush) I balanced it on the ice bucket.. of course it fell in.. completely ruined it...

but as you say I havent tried that with a laptop yet either ;)

They do as we have them at work :)

But they are around £2,500 each !

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YClt8Pq_rjs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YClt8Pq_rjs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hi Deanos...

OH WOW ... I sooo would love one ..they should be the law.. absolutly excellent! :1:

ps. Hi Rosie thanQ for your post :)

OH WOW .. thanQ you so much for this :1:

I am so pleased your laptop is ok (that's given me hope) I will leave it for a few more weeks, although I did take it into a shop, they had a look and its badly water damaged and sticky (hmm.. don't think it liked the flower food much) :-(

a107 .. thanQ, yes hadn't thought of e-bay.. I'll have a look if all else fails..

You are welcome and hope you get lucky like me!

Failing that what about claiming on your home insurance?

Hi Mad Granny Sue

This is a brilliant website, I've just had a lil look and reckon that's where I will have to go.. I'm impressed..
.. u clever girlie you! :35:

It was a107 who first recommended the site a couple of weeks ago for some designer handbags. Apart from the fact that they were flogging my much loved Chloe Paddington for a pittance compared with what I paid, I was very impressed with the 3 easy pays for anything over £75 and next day delivery.

Does anyone know if QVC will be having a laptop TSV on soon???

I had a bit of a BIG disaster with mine on Valentine's Day :(

It was a Toshiba from QVC a few years ago and have to say brilliant, I loved it so much & was always careful to keep tea & drinks etc. away from it .. then BOOM ...

.. on Valentine's Day I hada lovely rose in a vase beside it and without warning ..oh dear :eek: it tipped over and ALL the water went onto my laptop..

I did all the right things to save it BUT it is completely ruined .. its dead .. the annoying thing is the rose is still looking pretty :40: :17: I know it's only a PC but I am devastated!

Oouch! Have you seen today's TSV? Looks a bit pricey and has all the bells and whistles.

LOL. I've heard of computer housekeeping but this might be going a bit OTT!!

Oouch! Have you seen today's TSV? Looks a bit pricey and has all the bells and whistles.

I can never quite understand why you would want a touch screen on a computer. I have to have the screen a a suitable distance to be able to see anything on it - then my arms would not reach to be able to touch it?????:SHOCK:

Latest posts

Back