AY

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tia

milk in our tea
On a hill, at the end of the road, where the wind
I am not a native english speaker, so correct me if I am wrong
I thought you pronounce year as "year" IFKWIM
But AY pronounces this word as ye-ur.... another reason not to watch the pushy sales talk on QVC anymore, it is getting so on my nerves!

hi tia i noticed that too however quite a few presenters on other channels pronounce year the same way as ay does, i just say year but i common lol.

I think it's a regional accent thing, Tia. I have a friend whose parents are from somewhere up north (not being a dim southerner, I just can't remember where) and she pronounces it like that. Also know some Brummies who pronounce it like that too.

My sons mate pronounces it that way too Tia, he also says 'Filem' instead of Film!!!! I joked about it with him and he said I was the one saying it wrong :9: His parents are from the North East, do you know where AY is from?

Bet

My sons mate pronounces it that way too Tia, he also says 'Filem' instead of Film!!!! I joked about it with him and he said I was the one saying it wrong :9: His parents are from the North East, do you know where AY is from?

Bet

My Dad is from Belfast and that's how he says "film" too. :)

Bet

Has she not mentioned Whitley Bay before?

Last edited:
I think it's a regional accent thing, Tia. I have a friend whose parents are from somewhere up north (not being a dim southerner, I just can't remember where) and she pronounces it like that. Also know some Brummies who pronounce it like that too.

I`m from the north and don`t pronounce it as AY does, I think it must be a regional thing

Bet
As Bluebell says AY is from the Newcastle area.
That pronunciation is fairly common 'up North'. A lot of people where I live say the-eter, not theatre. There are so many regional variations of pronunciation for such a relatively small nation. I think it's wonderful really!

As Bluebell says AY is from the Newcastle area.
That pronunciation is fairly common 'up North'. A lot of people where I live say the-eter, not theatre. There are so many regional variations of pronunciation for such a relatively small nation. I think it's wonderful really!

Hi Tia,

I so agree with Nicky's post. However, that doesn't mean to say you have to like all the different dialects. I'm with you on "yeur", I hate it, but that's life I guess. What I really loathe is the amount of Americanisms coming into the language, and that's not particularly a racial prejudice but merely that I can't stand the way they use the language. :28:

Love
Argey

I am not a native english speaker, so correct me if I am wrong
I thought you pronounce year as "year" IFKWIM
But AY pronounces this word as ye-ur.... another reason not to watch the pushy sales talk on QVC anymore, it is getting so on my nerves!

Lit-er-ally? :4:

My Dad is from Belfast and that's how he says "film" too. :)

Not only Northern Ireland,it's how we pronounce 'film' in Southern Ireland too.
We're also renowned for not pronouncing our TH's ie Thirty Three is pronounced Turty Tree over here & This That These & Those are pronounced Dis Dat Dese & Dose lol
I know when Hampy & Stewart came to Dublin in November thay thought it was comical the way I pronounced things :1:

Not only Northern Ireland,it's how we pronounce 'film' in Southern Ireland too.
We're also renowned for not pronouncing our TH's ie Thirty Three is pronounced Turty Tree over here & This That These & Those are pronounced Dis Dat Dese & Dose lol
I know when Hampy & Stewart came to Dublin in November thay thought it was comical the way I pronounced things :1:

Marzy, I used to know a girl from Dublin who told me the most confusing thing for her in England was the 'Th' thing. I could see what she meant, we pronounce the TH in Thorntons and Thomas in completely different ways. She said she never knew which one to use and often made us smile when she got it wrong calling it Torntons :1::1: It was very endearing.

Bet

Marzy, I used to know a girl from Dublin who told me the most confusing thing for her in England was the 'Th' thing. I could see what she meant, we pronounce the TH in Thorntons and Thomas in completely different ways. She said she never knew which one to use and often made us smile when she got it wrong calling it Torntons :1::1: It was very endearing.

Bet

Ha Ha,yes Torntons & Tomas it is here,Bet :54:
My brother has worked in the UK(Social Services) for 22 years & he still pronounces things the Irish way much to the amusement of his colleagues & clients :1: To this day,they get such a laugh out of the 33 thing lol

Latest posts

Back