Who Comes Up With These Prices?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Topaz

Registered Shopper
On the Kipling Luggage show last night I was staggered at the logic behind some of their prices. There was a toilet bag priced at £50+ and then a much, much larger holdall at round about the same price (give or take a couple of pounds). If I'm paying £50 + for a holdall I'm certainly not paying that much for a puny toilet bag. I think a lot of the Kipling range is way too expensive for what it is.

I have several Kipling bags and they are very well made and practical. They are lightweight, washable and come in some lovely colours.

However, I have decided that I am not buying anything else from the range as the prices have continued to creep up and are now, frankly, outrageous for what are essentially nylon bags!

My husband has decided that they should rename the brand, "Chimps for Chumps"!

I totally agree! I can't see the appeal myself. Some of the bags are ok, but IMO aren't worth the money.

Taking advantage of their fanbase no doubt. I don't get them at all but then I have no interest in having an animal hanging off my bag.

I like the couple of Kiplings that I have but the prices have stopped me from buying any more now. They're good, but not worth the prices they are charging these days.

I'd wanted a Kipling bag for ages but thought they were a bit expensive. By chance I saw them in a shop (in Japan of all places!) and I did not like them. Thought they looked like cheap nylon fabric with big clunky zips and loads of bulky pockets which spoiled the profile.

On the other hand I was really impressed with the look of a couple of leather bags on the show today, good design and good quality leather. Still can't justify that sort of spend though.

Linda:33:

I have several Kipling bags and they are very well made and practical. They are lightweight, washable and come in some lovely colours.

However, I have decided that I am not buying anything else from the range as the prices have continued to creep up and are now, frankly, outrageous for what are essentially nylon bags!

Perdita, your OH is absolutely right, my OH is involved with the Luggage Business in China, and if you saw how it was made, what they pay for the material (Nylon) and how many bags they get from a Bale, and then what they charge, I doubt you would ever buy one again......... The pricing is just way over the top....

I am partial to the odd Kipling bag myself but I don't get mine from QVC anymore. I go to the outlet shop at Bicester Village. I got a fab suede and leather bag for Christmas from there for £70 which is what QVC charge for some of the nylon ones.

I had a few Kipling bags, then I discovered the Deva range and the City. The quality of the latter two compared to the basic is unbelievible. I hunt ebay for Deva as they are no longer made, and deals for the City. The basic to be honest are cheap looking and not worth the money. I did buy a Milla in the City range from QVC, but it had £12 off to start then three easy pay and no postage.

I've never understood the appeal of Kipling bags so when I saw a shop in Perugia last September, I went straight in to have a look at them... I still can't understand the appeal and I really can't understand the prices at all.

Is it a bit like the Burberry thing and just that clever marketing achieves cult status for something quite ordinary?

I think they are an absolute rip off.Some of them are quite ugly, who wants to wash a handbag when you can get good leather bags for the same priceif you know where to look.

Agree with everything you've said Perdita. I do appreciate how light they are before you put anything in them but the prices are just outrageous now and I think the novelty of owning one or several "Kipling" bags is wearing rather thin.

Personally, I'm finding the prices of bags on QVC in general are way over the top when you consider what they charge for the few ranges they carry - a lot of which are made out of plastic which we could buy on our local market stalls for £5 upwards......!!!!

Trawling through clearance because some normal priced things in there right now and found this:

It's not a bad looking bag but who were they trying to kid with its original £141 price tag and even at the clearance price of £100 just take a look at the reviews!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.141520/walk.yah.UKCL-UK48

Last edited:
I get most of mine from TK Maxx, OK you have to keep a regular eye out as you don't know what they'll have & when but they charge realistic prices which means I can treat myself without crippling the bank account. I keep trying to move away from Kipling but I just can't find another brand that ticks all the boxes like Kipling does, & I PREFER their Basic range, you can't fault it IMHO.

I think they are an absolute rip off.Some of them are quite ugly, who wants to wash a handbag when you can get good leather bags for the same priceif you know where to look.

Not everyone buys leather though (I don't) ... although that said, you can get some cheaper 'pleather' ones on the high st. I bought a full price Kipling Katie before Christmas and the key fob/chain inside is already starting to come away from the bag - can't have been stitched on properly to begin with (shoud have checked it more thoroughly before buying but bag was stuffed with tonnes of paper). Would never spend this much on a bag again!!

I wanted a Kipling bag for ages after seeing everyone rave about them here and they looked rather nice on the TV. By chance I came across them in a store in Newport and I was soooooo disappointed. I really do not understand what the attraction is. Lightweight yes, pretty colours yes but the prices?!?!?! Nothing more than market stall stuff

Latest posts

Back