Mother's Day Day.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Where did all this mother's day hype come from? I hate the way commercial enterprises exploit what should be a nice day just for the sake of making more money. Even worse considering that this is supposed to be for children to say thanks to mum for what she does. How many kids do you know are going to be able to afford the average tat that QVC seem to think mums want? The line of shows is rubbish anyway. The same old tat with "Mother's day" stamped on it. Bring back the idea that you get a card and make mum breakfast in bed. My mum has never wanted MD gifts because it's all such a con. It's insulting too - one presenter suggested buying a make-up kit, keeping the bits you wanted and giving the rest to mum. That's nice and thoughtful isn't it? :33:

I so agree with you.Iv only ever gave or sent my mum a card.I was watching last night and heard someone say you can could buy this £30 bag etc for mothers day.Don't they know where in a credit crunch its all about money and not the actual day.Don't get me started on easter or valentines.:12:

Ooohh I'm getting all nostalgic now. Time was when the main occasions in the year were your birthday and Christmas, with a chocolate egg at Easter. Now there's a commercial opportunity nearly every month. A home made card and a bunch of flowers on Mothers Day is enough for me, thanks.

I told my daughters not to buy me gifts for Mothers Day a card will do, after all they are Mothers themselves and have other things to spend their hard earned cash on. It's just hype by these stores and you get sick of it.

Well I don't need to be worrying about what to buy my mother, because she does not see me, so thats one bonus of not having a mum.

To everyone else with a lovely mum happy mothers day to you all when it arrives I thinks its the 22nd?

I hate the hype of it too, they never do it come Fathers Day!!!!!

I will be getting my mum a Gift Aid from Unicef and a handmade card that I will make myself.

Well I don't need to be worrying about what to buy my mother, because she does not see me, so thats one bonus of not having a mum.

To everyone else with a lovely mum happy mothers day to you all when it arrives I thinks its the 22nd?

Arrr pet that's a shame. :hugs:
I hate the hype of it too, they never do it come Fathers Day!!!!!

I will be getting my mum a Gift Aid from Unicef and a handmade card that I will make myself.

I bet your handmade card is absolutely lovely yazrose and a good bit cheaper that the ones in the shops.
(I've just paid over £6 for a 21st card for my daughter):shock:
I had both my daughters a couple of days after 'mother's day' so I really get to see them before their birthday's which is lovely. They usually buy me a paperback and a card which is a lovely gesture as I love to read.

I used to have to buy my mum, granny and aunt, those little boxes of Milk Tray think there was a quarter in them.

Remember being a shop a few years back and the guy served me and suddenly started on about the selection of Mother's Day gifts he had and how I should treat my mum.
I looked at him and told him as my mother had been dead for years, didn't think she would want a card and chocolates. That shut him up.

In amongst all the hype and advertising, it can be a sad time for anyone who has lost their mum. So, special thoughts go out to any forum members who are feeling sad and are being constantly reminded of their loss.

This will be the first mothers day for me without my mum, she died january this year, I miss her so much, she lived with me since my dad died 10 years ago, now I am on my own, although I have just had a new grand daughter born in February and am awaiting a great grand child any time now .

#10 I don't know you yet rosylee 'cos I'm brand new here but please accept a virtual ((hug)) from me anyway! Mother's Day will indeed be a poignant reminder for many I know.

Mega congratulations on the new grand-daughter & a great-grand one due soon too, how exciting! You must be thrilled! A new baby in the family is always a comfort, reminds us that life does indeed very much, go on, even when we're going through some of our saddest times!

It's my second year without mum being around and to be honest, I switched off when the hype started about Mothers' Day last year. She moved up from Surrey a few years after my father died, so she should watch my son growing up and she lived just down the road from me for twenty four years. I was her carer in her final months, so obviously her death left a gap. On Mothers' Day I will think of her/remember her with great fondness. When she was alive she used to tell me off when I bought her something for Mothers' Day :58: and used to say "You should save your money" but deep down I know she was chuffed.

As for Mothers' day presents that I cherish ......... it's the ones that didn't cost anything, like the embroidered tray cloth that my son made at school when he was 8. I've never used it, but I still have it. And the other present I looked forward to was the "Happy Mothers' Day, mum, and your present is that I'm going to do the washing up for a week!" and I got that one quite a lot. ;) Now I just get piles of washing. :9:

So to all the mums out there and to all of you with mums ......... enjoy the day because mums are very special. :)

In amongst all the hype and advertising, it can be a sad time for anyone who has lost their mum. So, special thoughts go out to any forum members who are feeling sad and are being constantly reminded of their loss.

I echo what you say Perdita. Love to you and everyone else in a similar situation. I will be visiting my late parents' grave next week and, even after almost 5 years, the pain and loss never goes away. In the majority of our lives our Mums are very special people so cherish the time you have with them.

I echo what you say Perdita. Love to you and everyone else in a similar situation. I will be visiting my late parents' grave next week and, even after almost 5 years, the pain and loss never goes away. In the majority of our lives our Mums are very special people so cherish the time you have with them.

I am in the same situation. This is my second year without my Mum and the pain is still unbearable. I will be visiting both parents graves next week too as I also lost my Dad last February. Both were 95 years old and I miss them terribly.

BusyLizzie....... you are so right when you say our Mums are very special people. My Mum was not only a Mum to me, but also my best friend.

When my boys were younger they always made Mothers Day cards at school and they meant so much to me. There's too much hype these days though.

I'd like to spare a thought for ladies like me, who are not nor ever will be mums in their own right.

Like Sara Griffiths has just said, I am my cat's mum. The only thing my Eric will bring me is a dead mouse - left at the foot of the stairs so I "find" it when I come down in the morning! :32::32:

My 85 year old mum can't stand QVC and certainly does not want a present - I've promised to clean her patio instead (it would be so much easier to buy her a KVZ bag!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Linda

My mom, like Dazzler's doesn't see me. She left me when I was 3 years old and I haven't seen her since. I was bought up by my grandparents and always sent my nan a mothers day card with the "mother" crossed out and "nan" written there instead. She was like a mom and nan all rolled into one and I loved her with all my heart. She's been dead now for over 20 years and I still miss her every day. I don't think you ever get over losing your mom and my heart goes out to all of you who have lost yours whether it be recently or years ago. XXX

I'd like to spare a thought for ladies like me, who are not nor ever will be mums in their own right.

Like Sara Griffiths has just said, I am my cat's mum. The only thing my Eric will bring me is a dead mouse - left at the foot of the stairs so I "find" it when I come down in the morning! :32::32:

My 85 year old mum can't stand QVC and certainly does not want a present - I've promised to clean her patio instead (it would be so much easier to buy her a KVZ bag!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Linda

My dear sister lost the one pregnancy she had after witnessing a death. I think of her on mother's day perhaps even more than I think of our lovely mum who died some years ago.

My mom, like Dazzler's doesn't see me. She left me when I was 3 years old and I haven't seen her since. I was bought up by my grandparents and always sent my nan a mothers day card with the "mother" crossed out and "nan" written there instead. She was like a mom and nan all rolled into one and I loved her with all my heart. She's been dead now for over 20 years and I still miss her every day. I don't think you ever get over losing your mom and my heart goes out to all of you who have lost yours whether it be recently or years ago. XXX

awww hugs to you Catkins. I am so pleased though that you had such lovely grandparents, but sorry for yuor loss. xxxx

My heart goes out to so many people on occasions like Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. as the loss of dear ones or the parental love some have never known is even more poignant.

Erics Mum - so sorry you'll never have the joy of holding your own baby and you're quite right to encourage us to think of people like yourself of which there are many.

Catkins - sorry to hear that you didn't have the love of your mother but it sounds as if your nan was someone very, very special to you.

Snuffles - your post made extremely sad reading, I'm so sorry for you and your family.

Big hugs to each and every one of you. I know it can never replace what you never had nor your loss but we have a lovely forum here where we offer love and support where possible and that's special in itself.

I get really upset at all the hype surrounding mother's day and, indeed, father's day, it's very hard to constantly be reminded of the loss of your parents.
Like Erics Mum, I haven't been able to have children and that causes me pain too, so good thoughts going out to all ladies in a similar situation.
Love to all of those who have lost their lovely Mums, and cyber hugs to those who have never had a good relationship with theirs.

Latest posts

Back