Beware Customer Service Call !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

brenny

Registered Shopper
:12:
Just got a call from someone called David saying they got my number as I had shopped with Gems , and it was a customer service call and a consumer relations call, they mentioned an organization but I was already on guard so missed the name , The call started to go along the lines of the Travel Steps calls that others have reported in the Ideal World thread, But I stopped David and said I hadnt shopped with Gems for 3 years plus and my number was given to Gems and Gems alone and to remove me from any list and never phone again . Its just a heads up to other gems customers that the Travel Steps calls and problems may be starting again but from a different source , if it is then Gems should be ashamed of themselves passing on information in this way :12::12::12:

So - looks like Gems have sunk to the bottom depths now - selling our details now to any old mob that's paying. Methinks it's time to start complaining to the TV authorities. :46:

If you don't want unsolicited phone calls, go to www.tps.co.uk (the telephone preference service). You can register your home phone and mobile numbers. If you get a cold call you can tell them you'll report them. I've recently reported a company who got my number from somewhere.

I am registered with the TPS and told them this but I think that if you have given your number volantarily , ie to back up order information, then that company or its subsiduaries can use the information it holds to contact you. However as I said to David I had only given the info to Gems not to anyone else .

I am registered with the TPS and told them this but I think that if you have given your number volantarily , ie to back up order information, then that company or its subsiduaries can use the information it holds to contact you. However as I said to David I had only given the info to Gems not to anyone else .

If you are registered with TPS then a third party (or subsidiary) has no right to contact you. Also, if you're registered with TPS and receive an unsolicited sales call from somebody you have had no prior connection with and haven't asked them to call, they can be fined. There is another organisation that deals with these calls they are:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

I am registered with the TPS and still get calls. Unfortunately telling some man in India phoning you on behalf of a insurance company has no effect. Especially since they go through their scribe so fast its hard to catch who they are. Infact TPS is a voluntary thing and companies do not have to sign up to it. If a company who has signed up and agreed to their terms will get a slapped wrist otherwise nothing happens.

My usual answer is rude and I have infact told them I am dead.:54:

TPS is excellent for keeping the majority of cold callers at bay, but doesn't really have any teeth. It only works with UK calls and since, as Donna has rightly pointed out, the system is voluntary for companies to join, then pests like these are unlikely to be enrolled. Where the odd UK call slips through a polite mention that you are the TPS register usually results in an apology and caller goes away, but out-and-out liars and dodgy dealers such as this mob will not be deterred.

What I find the most shocking about this, having been stung myself some time ago, is that companies you have grown to trust are selling your details.

Argey xx

Updating Account Details......

Don't panic folks.....it is possible to record / change your preferences on personal details being passed on to third parties....or not.

Log into GemsTV website and then click on 'My Gems', and under the heading of 'Your Basket', select 'Your Account Details'.
On the next page there are five boxes where you can choose your preferences accordingly, leave the last one unchecked if
you don't want Gems to pass your details to other companies.

I'm just mentioning this in case some folks haven't used the website for some time or since its format changed last year.

Oooh....and don't forget to press Submit :8:

Don't panic folks.....it is possible to record / change your preferences on personal details being passed on to third parties....or not.

Log into GemsTV website and then click on 'My Gems', and under the heading of 'Your Basket', select 'Your Account Details'.
On the next page there are five boxes where you can choose your preferences accordingly, leave the last one unchecked if
you don't want Gems to pass your details to other companies.

I'm just mentioning this in case some folks haven't used the website for some time or since its format changed last year.

Oooh....and don't forget to press Submit :8:

Just a gentle word of warning here - when I got stung it was with one of the sit-up channels and the were acting in partnership, thus allowing them through your preference not to be contacted by other companies.

Argey

Just a gentle word of warning here - when I got stung it was with one of the sit-up channels and the were acting in partnership, thus allowing them through your preference not to be contacted by other companies.

Argey

Thats what i think happened with me , the caller was very keen to say that I was being contacted as a customer of gems but not by gems themselves , Hope that makes sense , As I hadnt shopped with gems fro over 3 years I was awaare something wasnt quite right straight off , the other good thing is that any cards I had registered would have expired by now .
Hope no one else gets these calls

You're all correct about TPS being voluntary etc. However, ICO can act and fine a company. I am currently mid-way through this very process. It's well worth registering with TPS because they then refer you to ICO who will take matters further and do have teeth!

Latest posts

Back