Megadrops Are A Con

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 megadrop

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone. As some of you will have seen I posted a serise of things last week regarding sit-up not processing any of my orders. I decided to give them another chance and purchased both megadrop and non megadrop items this weekend. Yet again all items say unprocessed and my name has gone from the winners list on everything i purchased. Just like last week these will now be cancelled.

I have e-mailed customer services via the feedback area on the website and they say i will recieve a reply with in 7 days dispite on the site it saying 48hours.

Does anyone have an e-mail adress for someone in management?

If anyone else is experiencing this could you please post a reply.

Thanks £1 megadrop

The rules are a bit daft. I could understand it if they megadropped in the same way they used to - at the start of a price-drop, but not now. There will ALWAYS be some buyers who have managed to get a megadrop who then buy another product which happens to be another megadrop.

It seems to me as if this is another way of making a few extra pounds. People will have paid the £1.50 for the phone call, confirmed their buy, and then get told later that their order has been rejected.

I think that anyone who has had their order rejected should be refunded the money for their phone call.

The rules are a bit daft. I could understand it if they megadropped in the same way they used to - at the start of a price-drop, but not now. There will ALWAYS be some buyers who have managed to get a megadrop who then buy another product which happens to be another megadrop.

It seems to me as if this is another way of making a few extra pounds. People will have paid the £1.50 for the phone call, confirmed their buy, and then get told later that their order has been rejected.

I think that anyone who has had their order rejected should be refunded the money for their phone call.

What actually happens Adders when they call you back is that either your card details are invalid, the address is not correct, there is a problem with the system, postcode problem or any other excuse they can think of to get you off the phone. They always end by saying someone will call within 48 hours and they never do, therefore the item is never linked to your account and then they cancel it. I have bought online as well and you just dont recieve an e-mail for your item and when you check the online account the day after all items say unprocessed. A day or 2 later you check again to find the items say cancelled, however they dont contact you in any way to tell you this. Customer service for this company is dire in my experience.

I agree you should get your phone call back or they should just let you have the items. I have purchased non megadrop items this and last week all have been cancelled. If they think i am buying from them again when megadrops are over then they are mistaken not that they will care as there are millions more of us out there.

Also some of the time megadrops are guarenteed if a presenter says ive got 1 megadrop left and then they get to their last product its obvious its going to be that so of course people will come straight in as they know its going for £1. They should take this into consideration too.

Cancelling peoples bids who get more than 1 megadrop must be saving them thousands, However i have seen people getting 20 and 30 in a weekend and they still get them as ive seen them on ebay. so much for you can have 1 a week ive had nothing for 2 weeks. If this is how they repay the viewers for keeping them there for 5 years as a birthday CELEBRATION then i hate to see what they do when they go bust.

like everything with sit-up they have to suck the life out of it. Just look at the presenter/ assistant interaction from years ago to now.

Last edited:
It's amazing what excuses they come up with. If they really wanted customers to stay loyal to sit-up, they wouldn't use excuses. They should just be honest and tell you that your account has been suspended because you got 2 megadrops in the space of a week.

Unfortunately, we are powerless as individuals. They do clearly state that your account may be suspended if you purchase more than 1 megadrop in a week, but there do have to be exceptions. I can understand why they suspend the accounts of people who exclusively buy megadrops, but if people buy a mix of normal products and megadrops, they shouldn't be banned. There's no way that you can predict some of the megadrops, so you may have decided to buy a product without knowing it'd go to £1, then your account is barred.

They should NEVER put the megadrop as the presenter's final product. They will carry on doing it though - think of the money they'll make from phone calls. If 250 people call up to buy a megadrop with 25 in the quantity, the total cost of the phone calls would be £375. If sit-up make £1 from the calls, that's still £250. If they do one at the end of each of the 6 presenter's shifts, they'd make £1500 in phone calls.

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

It's amazing what excuses they come up with. If they really wanted customers to stay loyal to sit-up, they wouldn't use excuses. They should just be honest and tell you that your account has been suspended because you got 2 megadrops in the space of a week.

Unfortunately, we are powerless as individuals. They do clearly state that your account may be suspended if you purchase more than 1 megadrop in a week, but there do have to be exceptions. I can understand why they suspend the accounts of people who exclusively buy megadrops, but if people buy a mix of normal products and megadrops, they shouldn't be banned. There's no way that you can predict some of the megadrops, so you may have decided to buy a product without knowing it'd go to £1, then your account is barred.

They should NEVER put the megadrop as the presenter's final product. They will carry on doing it though - think of the money they'll make from phone calls. If 250 people call up to buy a megadrop with 25 in the quantity, the total cost of the phone calls would be £375. If sit-up make £1 from the calls, that's still £250. If they do one at the end of each of the 6 presenter's shifts, they'd make £1500 in phone calls.

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

Yes it is but also think of the money they get from people calling up throughout the drop and holding on the phones and when they do the price plunge or warehouse clearance sound the amount of people who pile on the phone and then get cut off as they take so long messing with us before they plunge the price. I have asked for an e-mail adress for someone in authority but Graham e-mailed Ian P and recieved no reply which is not suprising as they are the most miserable bunch of shopping tv mangers/ directors out there. Look at the time they wouldnt let shoppingtelly give a presenter an award. As someone who has watched price-drop since i got freeview 4 years ago and had hundreds of items from them i feel barring my account is not on and i have let them know that. I tried to purchase a diamonesque watch at £26.99 but they dont want my money for that.

Like you said earlier adders i have bought items which have turned out to be a megadrop and have then had them cancelled. I then refuse to buy the product at the normal price in the future so they are cutting off their nose there and i wont be buying anything from them again. I will let you all know what response i get if i get 1 over the coming days for the e-mails i have sent.

UPDATE:5:35PM
I phoned sit-up this evening to be told as i expected my orders had been cancelled but lol by me at a time when i know i was at home and the phone never rang. Apparently i had a call yesturday to tell me this. I know at no point yesturday did i recieve a call from them so this is yet another lie. He went and asked his supervisor who said the bank had refised authorisation of the card. So called the bank and yes you've guessed it there is no problem with the card what so ever. I have been promised a call back from the verification team within 24 hours.

Last edited:
I havent had problems with Megadrops, i've had a few in the last 3 weeks or so. What i have had problems with is 3 consecutive days running, calls from CS saying my card had expired:confused: Strange as my card dosent expire till late this year, and other items ordered the same day had gone thro fine:confused::rolleyes: I pushed one operative and was told the "sytems had been down":rolleyes: , I then asked, how can my card be expired...and stated dates it does expire. I was then told "oh no your card only has 10 days left on it"..funny that, December isn't 10 days away is it?:confused:

I was promised a Supervisor call, but as yet that hasnt happened:mad:

I havent had problems with Megadrops, i've had a few in the last 3 weeks or so. What i have had problems with is 3 consecutive days running, calls from CS saying my card had expired:confused: Strange as my card dosent expire till late this year, and other items ordered the same day had gone thro fine:confused::rolleyes: I pushed one operative and was told the "sytems had been down":rolleyes: , I then asked, how can my card be expired...and stated dates it does expire. I was then told "oh no your card only has 10 days left on it"..funny that, December isn't 10 days away is it?:confused:

I was promised a Supervisor call, but as yet that hasnt happened:mad:

Seems to me like they are giving excuses to lots of people just to cancel orders and not have to send things out.
There's another excuse we can add to the list then. You card only has 10 days left. They really must think we are stupid, and i thought this month was meant to be a celebration for us lot keeping them there.

Last edited:
Yet again they have lied tonight live on air. At 7:30pm james russell came on and i quote "tonight we have at least at least 6 items that will go for £1. let me say that again cuase its so exciting at least 6 items that will go for £1"

now i read that as been 6 more tonight and sure enough james had 3 but they then kept us all waiting from 10:30 until just before 1am for another megadrop which was a vivitar camera therefore making 4. Now there wasent another 1 so either way you look at it they lied.

However it was pointed out to me that maybe he meant 6 including paul evers 1 earlier that night but even so that still only makes 5.

19:01 9ct gold graduated gold bead neckchain with Paul Evers
19:59 Van heusen charcoal dial watch with James Russell
20:40 cesc fabregas dynamic action print with James Russell
22:27 kids ultimate craft compendium with James Russell
00:56 Vivitar v8370 8mp digital camera with Steve

Sort it out sit-up and just stop lieing all the time.

Last edited:
if i could remember i would say what the other megadrop was as i saw 6 fbut that was inclduing one i saw when i was watching from like 4.30pm

I looked back over all yesturdays listings and i can only see 5 megadrops so was the other 1 on a product choice supercoolwillow?

UPDATE 4:45- well suprise suprise i waited 24 hours for the call and yes you know what i'm going to say- not a word from them so called up tonight to try and get a camera i bought last night processed and oh there is a problem with the card. here we go again. So then said can you try a different card and another problem now the address is flashing up as been an issue. So it goes to show all the things ive been told over the last 3 weeks are just lies after lies after lies. I have been promised a call back from a supervisor within 2 hours. Im not holding my breath.

Last edited:
I looked back over all yesturdays listings and i can only see 5 megadrops so was the other 1 on a product choice supercoolwillow?

UPDATE 4:45- well suprise suprise i waited 24 hours for the call and yes you know what i'm going to say- not a word from them so called up tonight to try and get a camera i bought last night processed and oh there is a problem with the card. here we go again. So then said can you try a different card and another problem now the address is flashing up as been an issue. So it goes to show all the things ive been told over the last 3 weeks are just lies after lies after lies. I have been promised a call back from a supervisor within 2 hours. Im not holding my breath.

Have they rung you back yet?

I had also posted before about this. I have had my account barred, unbarred , barred again, told my card was invalid, told there was a problem with my post code, told my card had expired etc etc.
I had 4 items unprocessed , 2 megadrops and 2 normal priced items, they processed the 2 normal items and 1 megadrop & cancelled the other megadrop. When i called they said that the bank declined payment for it(£8.99!!) but i knew that was rubbish as i had sufficient funds in bank.
I have since received an email from customer services saying if i want my account unbarred(which i have had for nearly 8 years since bid-up started) I have to write in to management as it was they who had made the decision to bar my account.

So it looks like they are just out to really p*ss folk off.

Sit-up , more like sh*t-up if you ask me

I had also posted before about this. I have had my account barred, unbarred , barred again, told my card was invalid, told there was a problem with my post code, told my card had expired etc etc.
I had 4 items unprocessed , 2 megadrops and 2 normal priced items, they processed the 2 normal items and 1 megadrop & cancelled the other megadrop. When i called they said that the bank declined payment for it(£8.99!!) but i knew that was rubbish as i had sufficient funds in bank.
I have since received an email from customer services saying if i want my account unbarred(which i have had for nearly 8 years since bid-up started) I have to write in to management as it was they who had made the decision to bar my account.

So it looks like they are just out to really p*ss folk off.

Sit-up , more like sh*t-up if you ask me

Yes i would agree with the last 2 lines there zippy. I am now considering going to one of the regulatory watchdogs in this case the ASA about this as they have given rubish after rubish for 3 weeks.

Yes i was called back this evening within the hour which i was shocked about but fair play to them. Apparently there isnt anything wrong with the card and never has been apparently ive got too many accounts. But ive had the same number of accounts for quite some time now and things purchased last tuesday and thursday went through fine but everything this week, last weekend and the weekend before have been cancelled so that is rubsih about having too many accounts and yet another story to add to the list. If your wondering why i have a few accounts well its very simple as i kept getting these excuses and getting no where i decided to open another account hoping that any issues would be left with that 1 account.

Anyway all my accounts are now going to be linked into 1 but i doubt i will get any of the items they have cancelled over the last few weeks.

Managed to get the last megadrop of the night on the hi fi to be told when called they can't process it. no suprise there at all. I will be contacted within the next 24 hours. Ive been told 48 hours 10 times this month and not once have i had a call. Thanks god its the final weekend of these and it will be interesting if my account magically starts working again on monday. If it does it will be my last purchase on a cheap web deal just to see.

Last edited:
A suggestion to Adders and £1_Megadrop. A all Sit-up channels belong to Virgin Media, why not write your complaints and send them to Virgin Media's Complaint's Department. The Address is:-
Complaints
Virgin Media
POBox 219
Newport
NP10 8UG

Hope you both get things sorted..........and to TABS, will you still get your presents sorted, ready for Christmas. Looks like you don't have much time left.;) Perhaps write in as well.

I also feel Megadrop madness is a bit of a con. It doesn't matter how quick I have been with my phone, all items have gone, by the time my phone finnishes speed dialing. For example, how can 120 items be gone with-in a 2 second period. Either many people keep dialing till a Megadrop occurs(at £1.50 a time), so they are already on the line when one happens. Lot's more money spent over & above the £1, whilst hoping. Or the counter is dropped very quickly, to make it appear that the items have been sold, but are they. Who knows for sure. Makes one wonder.

A suggestion to Adders and £1_Megadrop. A all Sit-up channels belong to Virgin Media, why not write your complaints and send them to Virgin Media's Complaint's Department. The Address is:-
Complaints
Virgin Media
POBox 219
Newport
NP10 8UG

Hope you both get things sorted..........and to TABS, will you still get your presents sorted, ready for Christmas. Looks like you don't have much time left.;) Perhaps write in as well.

I also feel Megadrop madness is a bit of a con. It doesn't matter how quick I have been with my phone, all items have gone, by the time my phone finnishes speed dialing. For example, how can 120 items be gone with-in a 2 second period. Either many people keep dialing till a Megadrop occurs(at £1.50 a time), so they are already on the line when one happens. Lot's more money spent over & above the £1, whilst hoping. Or the counter is dropped very quickly, to make it appear that the items have been sold, but are they. Who knows for sure. Makes one wonder.

Hi lastchance thanks for your suggesstion.

They have 500 phone lines so it is posible for items to go so quick and yes hundreds of people hold on the lines. The only reason i call is if its a guarenteed megadrop such as the hi fi tonight. I believe the counter goes down as people buy so i dont think there is a con there. But stopping so many people having them is a con. I will consider writing to the address above but im going to give them a few more days to do something. If they turn round and say all 3 weeks items have been cancelled there is nothing we can do then i will be complaining to the ASA about the lies ive had and with proof that i won the items as i take screen shots of all the winners and as buyers know if your logged in on your account your name is highlighted on the list oh and i record all the megadrop days in case i need evidence for something such as the lie last night about there been 6 and only having 4 in the end.

I know this all sounds like i hate sit-up but i dont i like the company and i like the 3 channels i just wish they wouldnt treat us the viewers who have kept them there for 5 years in this way.

Last edited:
All I can add £1_Megadrop is I wish you well and hope you get things sorted in your favour. Let us know how things progress.;)

Hi
Sorry to be making yet another post but when i got up today at 8:30 i checked my account and nothing had changed it all still said cancelled as expected i then checked the winners boards on the camera from wednesday, the hifi from last night and the pan set from around 9am this morning. Yes my name was still on the list, however upon checking around 12:20 i noticed my name and only my name had gone off all 3 of the winners boards. I have decided there is no point ringing them as they are useless and i wonder what story they would come up with next.

I have therefore made the decision after giving the company numerous chances to phone me back, reply to e-mails etc that i will no longer buy from them or watch it again. The person i spoke to yesturday said i probably would get the camera.

Just goes to show you cant trust a word they say.

So good luck to everyone else who is megadropping this weekend. Thank god its the last week not that it matters to me now cause i wont be buying anything unless i get a decent response.

I have nothing to loose by complaining to the ASA so will now do so. Probably wont get anywhere with it but its worth a go.

everyone else having issues keep us all updated on the forum
Thanks £1 megadrop

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back