PDA

View Full Version : Where are Debbie Greenwood & Julian Ballantyne?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Sazza
25-07-2013, 10:31 AM
DG is not the only female rumoured to have left QVC so might be her going to TJC........or neither!! :grin:

London
25-07-2013, 12:19 PM
im leaving my job ...be it only part time after 7 years....it wasnt an easy decision as im not a spring chicken but i just knew the time was right for me to go and im very lucky to be able to atm...end of next month...i gave my boss 5 months notice so that has helps me adjust to the thought of it all and helps my boss have a bit of breathing space after seven pregnancies since last july!...im hoping to help people in some way ...it might be that some presenters have had enough and know the time is rigjht for them if this is the case that they have left\leaving....sometimes it starts a domino affect when somebody leaves and this has happend since i gave notice at my place of work......miost big businesses are the same ....they dont cherish you ..they employ you and i expect qvc might be the same

'....helps my boss have a bit of breathing space after seven pregnancies since last july' - Needs to be in the Guinness Book of records lol - only joking!

'they dont cherish you ..they employ you 'So right there, I recently left a very busy job in central London (large corporation) and although I am a bit concerned about the finances and holding back from spending right now, I have to say I am loving the freedom. When you slog your guts out year after year and it all stops it gives you a chance to refocus. Congratulations on planning to do something to help others, I understand where you are coming from, I feel that way too just need to decide what.

May
25-07-2013, 03:46 PM
lol thankyou London ..yes only 50 staff..must be some sort of record for sure lol...Good luck with your new path too...go for it .....i am sure you will be fine..:wave:

The Doo's
25-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Has Debbie G and Carmel gone. Do you think its defo a drop in wages or is it just that QVC don't want them. A member of my best friends family works at QVC in Liverpool and she is only doing 2 days a week (not her choice) as there is no work sadly :(

louise66
25-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't watch TJC so, with any luck, Carmel will be the new female presenter.

brissles
25-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Has Debbie G and Carmel gone. Do you think its defo a drop in wages or is it just that QVC don't want them. A member of my best friends family works at QVC in Liverpool and she is only doing 2 days a week (not her choice) as there is no work sadly :(

No work at QVC Liverpool, AND on short time too ! I should think that just about answers everyone's questions then !

BusyMum
25-07-2013, 07:14 PM
it suggests Q sales are dropping at any rate!

Boris Bear
25-07-2013, 07:33 PM
If there is less work in the call centre it could be an indication that more orders are being placed via the website or using the app and fewer by phone.

BusyMum
25-07-2013, 07:34 PM
If there is less work in the call centre it could be an indication that more orders are being placed via the website or using the app and fewer by phone.

yes it could of course, but taken in conjunction with presenters disappearing it could mean that things aren't so good on the sales front - time will tell I suppose.

Boris Bear
25-07-2013, 08:16 PM
yes it could of course, but taken in conjunction with presenters disappearing it could mean that things aren't so good on the sales front - time will tell I suppose.
Maybe some of the presenters aren't performing as well as others and they are letting the under-performers go? If presenter A sells a lot more on a similar show in a similar slot than presenter B then QVC would probably prefer to use presenter A. However if QVC continue with their current communication policy I suppose we will never know what's going on!

louise66
25-07-2013, 08:21 PM

I concur. I work in tourism and, as with the Liverpool call centre, more people were using the internet to get the necessary information. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

The Doo's
25-07-2013, 09:20 PM
My best friends Sister should be full time, but she's lucky to get 2 days now. Its not just her its everyone. Before she goes into work she has to call QVC to see if they need her. She has worked there for 5 yes. My B/F Sis got an application form for her nephew, he sat the test and passed it. He then had an interview which he passed and he got a letter off QVC to say he was successful and he would receive a start date. He gave notice on his job as soon as he got this letter and didn't hear anything off QVC for 3wks so he contacted QVC to ask for a start date, only to be told there was no work. He was no the only person this happened to.He had left his job and had to go on the dole. He was gutted but he has got any other job now with another Company which he likes. My B/F's Sister said they are asking people to go home as there is no work.

Yorkiegirl
25-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I asked on QVC's FaceBook page what was happening with Debbie. Not posted and of course no reply!!

miss molly
25-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I switched on a few times today and they were flogging toy plastic cars you could buy in a pound shop, i think they are deffo struggling.

Ballerina
26-07-2013, 02:34 AM
On the subject of the new TJC presenter, I was watching a couple of days ago and the presenter (sorry, don't know who she was) said that the new presenter is extremely blonde. So, we shall wait and see!

The Doo's
26-07-2013, 09:06 AM
On the subject of the new TJC presenter, I was watching a couple of days ago and the presenter (sorry, don't know who she was) said that the new presenter is extremely blonde. So, we shall wait and see!

What channel on sky is the above plz xx

donna255
26-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Of course all the Tap The App and the crappy website means having to pay less wages to call centre staff. More profit for QVC.

In the US QVC actually have staff in CS working from home!!!! They sit at their laptops are connected to the QVC central hub and answer queries etc and place orders for customers.

Boris Bear
26-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Of course all the Tap The App and the crappy website means having to pay less wages to call centre staff. More profit for QVC.

Yes, it's like the self-service tills at supermarkets, I try to avoid those as I feel by using the normal tills I'm helping keep someone in a job. However I generally order from QVC using the website, though my purchases are so few and far between these days it won't make a scrap of difference to them.

BusyMum
26-07-2013, 01:37 PM
of course I suppose we pay for the "free" phone calls in the price somewhere, maybe as they're not that busy now they'll be reducing the P & P accordingly to help us out - ha-bloody-ha..!

CBX1000
26-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Carmel is only part time at QVC I believe, (and so is Jackie as she mentioned this in one of her blogs) so it wouldn't be surprising if she hadn't been seen recently.

CBX1000
26-07-2013, 01:55 PM

In the US QVC actually have staff in CS working from home!!!! They sit at their laptops are connected to the QVC central hub and answer queries etc and place orders for customers.

QVC UK do this too, I remember seeing something on this somewhere.

louise66
26-07-2013, 03:59 PM
worrying rumours on shoppingtelly.com and said that she can't tweet at the moment. Obviously, something to do with either her QVC contract or one with a new employer.

Sazza
26-07-2013, 04:24 PM
worrying rumours on shoppingtelly.com and said that she can't tweet at the moment. Obviously, something to do with either her QVC contract or one with a new employer.

No she said she didn't mean to get people worried on ST.

Almerinda
29-07-2013, 05:31 PM
What has happened to Glen Campbell?? I haven't seen him for yonks. Tell you who else hasn't been around for a while, Sharon the model. Have they locked them in a QVC cupboard with Julian, Debbie and the slim girl who arrived along with Carmel. Hey, wait a mo? Is she in there too? And why oh why haven't they stuffed Jill Franks in the cupboard as well; she wouldn't take up much room and she, unlike the others, woudln't be missed!

Flamenco
29-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Debbie Greenwood has updated her profile on LinkedIn and it states that she is presently working for QVC in her bio. If she had left, she'd surely have updated her profile accordingly?!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

loveallthingsitalian
29-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Debbie Greenwood has updated her profile on LinkedIn and it states that she is presently working for QVC in her bio. If she had left, she'd surely have updated her profile accordingly?!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting. No real opinion on DG either way but she would not be normal if she was not loving all the attention this has generated. Chinese whispers have certainly increased her profile which I think may have been pretty much MOR prior to this.

holmca
29-07-2013, 07:03 PM
One person who I haven't seen lately is Alison Young. OK I always avoid the shows she is in. Maybe she has drowned in Factor 500 somewhere.

Flying Pigs
29-07-2013, 07:06 PM
If you read today's newspaper article you will see she is very successful for the business.

holmca
30-07-2013, 06:28 AM
If you read today's newspaper article you will see she is very successful for the business.

I am in France and I would be surprised if the Var Matin would be interested!

louise66
30-07-2013, 01:52 PM
No she said she didn't mean to get people worried on ST.

Read further - she did say she cannot tweet atm.

Sazza
30-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Read further - she did say she cannot tweet atm.

I know she said that about tweeting. My reply to your earlier post was to clear up what Debbie had said about ST. :happy:

pa1916
30-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Simon Biagi presenting a 1hr beauty show today just seemed odd.

He should be in a dress that's what QVC wants, all female presenters.:devil:

Jazzydrury
30-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Between now and Saturday they have 7 shows, of the men, doing either beauty or fashion, including Charlie doing the Kim & Co launch, WTF

Sazza
30-07-2013, 04:16 PM
What has happened to Glen Campbell?? I haven't seen him for yonks. Tell you who else hasn't been around for a while, Sharon the model. Have they locked them in a QVC cupboard with Julian, Debbie and the slim girl who arrived along with Carmel. Hey, wait a mo? Is she in there too? And why oh why haven't they stuffed Jill Franks in the cupboard as well; she wouldn't take up much room and she, unlike the others, woudln't be missed!

Sharon the model is on right now!

donna255
30-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Well its official.

Carmel is starting on the Jewellery Chanel on the 2nd August. She tweeted it. So she is not still have Glastonbury.:grin:

Sazza
30-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Well its official.

Carmel is starting on the Jewellery Chanel on the 2nd August. She tweeted it. So she is not still have Glastonbury.:grin:

http://blog.thejewellerychannel.tv/welcome-carmel-thomas/

Nicky-j
30-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Well its official.

When did she tweet it?

Sazza
30-07-2013, 08:12 PM
When did she tweet it?

TJC tweeted it about noon today.

grovesy
30-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Just seen this thread dont vist much but all theses prenters are still showing on qvc web

Big Dave
30-07-2013, 08:40 PM
http://blog.thejewellerychannel.tv/welcome-carmel-thomas/

Wowsers! Who is going to be left ST qvc? Major overhaul. Wonder if they will reduce live hours soon?

Nicky-j
30-07-2013, 08:41 PM
TJC tweeted it about noon today.

Thanks for that. I see now. It was the Jewellery Channel that tweeted, not Carmel. I asked only because I follow Carmel's tweets and she hadn't tweeted anything for a few days (unless I'd missed them).

stratobuddy
30-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I am probably posting this on the wrong thread, but can anyone DEFINITELY confirm that Julian has gone for good, and is not just having a holiday?

Big Dave
30-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I am probably posting this on the wrong thread, but can anyone DEFINITELY confirm that Julian has gone for good, and is not just having a holiday?

I can't confirm that I'm afraid, but it does look like it. Was he one of your favourites stratobuddy?

stratobuddy
30-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, along with Dale and Charlie. I still don't know any women's names, only Loen on IW, who could not know her lol

Big Dave
30-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Yes, along with Dale and Charlie. I still don't know any women's names, only Loen on IW, who could not know her lol

Oh so you like the fellas lol. I'm more of a Julia Roberts, Anna Cookson and Catherine Huntley fella myself :heart:

stratobuddy
30-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I am not interested in any of the stuff women mainly present, hence I never see them, or if I flick channels and they are on, I haven't a clue which is which

stratobuddy
30-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Charlie presents interesting things, like the pelvic floor exerciser

loveallthingsitalian
30-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Between now and Saturday they have 7 shows, of the men, doing either beauty or fashion, including Charlie doing the Kim & Co launch, WTF

I know he's a bit of a twat but to give him credit he was a lot better prepared than string bean JF on Renee hour, woman may be "good in bed" but she is buck useless at her job

loveallthingsitalian
30-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Oh so you like the fellas lol. I'm more of a Julia Roberts, Anna Cookson and Catherine Huntley fella myself :heart:

1 out of 3 ain't bad LOL

Big Dave
30-07-2013, 11:08 PM
I am not interested in any of the stuff women mainly present, hence I never see them, or if I flick channels and they are on, I haven't a clue which is which

Try watching a few of the ladies shows, they are very good. They sometimes do the technical stuff as well. I bet you like CJ Rich or JC Rich (something like that), she was very good.

loveallthingsitalian
30-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Try watching a few of the ladies shows, they are very good. They sometimes do the technical stuff as well. I bet you like CJ Rich or JC Rich (something like that), she was very good.

Yes she was, because she knew her stuff - not some failed "dancer"/beauty queen

stratobuddy
30-07-2013, 11:12 PM
LJ, and yes, I did.

That was in reply to Dave, before the other reply got in between, and I also agree with that one as well

suzywoozy
30-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Just catching up on here. Debbie Greenwood was one of my favourites, I will be sorry to see her go.

I'm reading the comments about Julian leaving too. At least he will get to spend more time with his granny ;)

Tiddlywinks
30-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Just catching up on here. Debbie Greenwood was one of my favourites, I will be sorry to see her go.

I'm reading the comments about Julian leaving too. At least he will get to spend more time with his granny ;)

Sadly for him I think she may have passed away.

Big Dave
30-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Twitter is full of qvc changes lately and just now I've read a few tweets about Carmel joining the jewellery channel. Trying to figure out if that's a good move for her. As much as I'm trying to believe it is, I just can't see it. Even though I've lost some faith in Q lately, it's still the flagship channel of shopping IMO.

Whose next though, so many confirmed or assumed departures and where all the the new people? Interesting times ahead for Q that's for sure.

Akimbo
31-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Maybe the hours she's offered work or other T&C of her new employment fit better with Carmel's new mother role? I don't tend to watch jewellery channels apart from flicking but I wish her well in her new job.

donna255
31-07-2013, 08:53 AM
As I said on FB, contracts change. Hours on offer(look at the zero hours offered now by many companies) and how much they will get paid for said hours. A few years back a new boss took over at Corrie, so instead of all the actors getting same wages whether they worked that week or not. Suddenly it was you are paid for the work you do, so big story line and full wages in your contract, not working much less money. I remember the tabloids all having the story and how the actors very unhappy.

madmax
31-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Well the "bod's" who watch over the Q website really need to get their act together, Carmel (along with the others who may or may not have been given the boot) is still on the presenters page and while her blog hasn't been updated for a month.
It really can't be good for their P.R with all of this gossip and rumor mongering going on on line.
All it would take is one of their email "q gossip" posts to put this to bed once and for all.

miss molly
31-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Well the "bod's" who watch over the Q website really need to get their act together, Carmel (along with the others who may or may not have been given the boot) is still on the presenters page and while her blog hasn't been updated for a month.
It really can't be good for their P.R with all of this gossip and rumor mongering going on on line.
All it would take is one of their email "q gossip" posts to put this to bed once and for all.

The website is rubbish and they have probably let the webmaster go as well due to cutbacks.

Nicky-j
31-07-2013, 09:09 AM

I agree a simple statement would help, but perhaps they are of the mind that they don't want to be forced into decisions and actions by that 'rumour mongering'? Or perhaps there are contractual, legal or just reasons of choice, why QVC (and the employees in question) don't directly address this. My Nana used to say that the problem with being nosey is that you have to be a very patient person!

Akimbo
31-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I stopped working in IT 19 years ago when I had my son, and haven't kept up to date with developments but I reckon a week's cramming and I could do a better, more accurate job of running the website than the current shower of amateurs. My teenage kids definitely could. Ofcourse I'd bring supercoolwillow on board for his attention to detail!

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Maybe there are so many rumblings going on at the Towers that PR is the last thing in their minds. They'll wake up in a minute and think 'crikey' we need to update the website on current presenters, in fact 'double crikey' the website needs a complete overhaul. The 'new' website when launched was far worse than the old one. They tried to reinvent the wheel.

Anyway I hope Debbie can start tweeting again soon and that she's got a nice new job :-)

goddess
31-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Twitter is full of qvc changes lately and just now I've read a few tweets about Carmel joining the jewellery channel. Trying to figure out if that's a good move for her. As much as I'm trying to believe it is, I just can't see it. Even though I've lost some faith in Q lately, it's still the flagship channel of shopping IMO.

Whose next though, so many confirmed or assumed departures and where all the the new people? Interesting times ahead for Q that's for sure.

Just seen Carmel on TJC doing a promo for an upcoming show. Carmel's facebook page still has her as Carmel Thomas QVC presenter and she has been posting recently.

holmca
31-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Just seen Carmel on TJC doing a promo for an upcoming show. Carmel's facebook page still has her as Carmel Thomas QVC presenter and she has been posting recently.

Have I missed something? Has Carmel gone as well?

goddess
31-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Carmel is no longer at QVC. Don't kmow if she resigned or did not have her contract renewed. She is due to brcome a presenter on The Jewellery Channel. Shame because I really like her.

Bettyboo
31-07-2013, 03:17 PM
As I said on FB, contracts change. Hours on offer(look at the zero hours offered now by many companies) and how much they will get paid for said hours. A few years back a new boss took over at Corrie, so instead of all the actors getting same wages whether they worked that week or not. Suddenly it was you are paid for the work you do, so big story line and full wages in your contract, not working much less money. I remember the tabloids all having the story and how the actors very unhappy.Its a pity our MP's weren't paid in this way then some of them might turn up for work more often.

Almerinda
31-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Sharon the model is on right now!

Good! I like her. Didn't see her though.

holmca
31-07-2013, 06:05 PM
So whos left?

Pipa - on sabbatical for a month or more.
Carmel - gone
Debbie - disappeared, presumably gone.
Julian - disappeared, presumably gone.
Anna - gone.
Kathy Taylor - not seen her for a while, but maybe thats just me.
Craig - working more behind the scenes.
Will - doesn't present anyway

It seems to me that out of 23 presenters, we will probably only see 15 or 16 regularly.

Nicky-j
31-07-2013, 06:18 PM
So whos left?

Pipa - on sabbatical for a month or more.
Carmel - gone
Debbie - disappeared, presumably gone.
Julian - disappeared, presumably gone.
Anna - gone.
Kathy Taylor - not seen her for a while, but maybe thats just me.
Craig - working more behind the scenes.
Will - doesn't present anyway

It seems to me that out of 23 presenters, we will probably only see 15 or 16 regularly.
Pipa is on sabbatical from about now for six months.
Carmel to Jewellery Channel
Anna announced her leaving and had a farewell show.
Craig and Kathy have been on recently, indeed Kathy said that from next Wednesday her Morning Style show was coming back.
Will is still doing the online features regarding upcoming days and TSVs etc.
So that's just Julian and Debbie 'unaccounted for'.

holmca
31-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I've never quite worked out the point of Will.

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 11:07 PM
I wonder if Will has worked out the point of Will :mysmilie_454: I think he knows he's a spare part and he's keeping quiet!

As I posted on the Ideal World thread, Rachel Pierman is a brilliant presenter, can't believe Q didn't snap her up.

Weathergirl
31-07-2013, 11:32 PM
I met Will at the Beauty Bash- think he's a nice friendly guy who Q could give a much higher profile to.

Hi Big Dave BTW welcome to the forum!!!

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi Weathergirl thanks for the welcome. It's great to have joined :heart:

Autumn
31-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Hi Big Dave :) What does the Big stand for lol?

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi Big Dave :) What does the Big stand for lol?

Hi Autumn, I'm very tall. I take it that's what you thought? :mysmilie_17:

Autumn
31-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Hi Autumn, I'm very tall. I take it that's what you thought? :mysmilie_17:

How did u find us BD? u a Qvc fan ? ur not Julian are u ;)

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 11:53 PM

Yep I'm Julian, I've just been in hiding lol. Actually were very big Q fans since the mid 90's and have bought loads of stuff over the years. We're both on Facebook and go on the Q page a lot. Decided to join this and another site. Other one wouldn't work, think its closed now to newbies, but this did and was very easy. Just trying to get OH to join up as well - not that I'm happy about her reading my tripe really :-)

Big Dave
31-07-2013, 11:54 PM
P.S. My Q buys are not a lot nowadays!

Sazza
01-08-2013, 12:01 AM

A QVC and an Elemis fan I believe!

Big Dave
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
And Alexis at L'Occitane too :-)

Akimbo
01-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Big Dave, glad you joined the original and best shopping TV forum.

Jabbathehut
01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Big Dave welcome to ST

donna255
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi Big Dave.

the point of Will:

To make AY look good with the tweeting etc(what you really think its her???)

Carry AY's handbag leaden with beauty products.

Help her walk from point A to point B(she cannot walk in her heels and needs to stand leaning on something).

In the words he is her minion.

Big Dave
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
In the words he is her minion.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Alexis needs a minion :heart: Where do I apply ? :mysmilie_488:

louise66
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

With any luck!
:happy:

louise66
01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Big Dave.

the point of Will:

Help her walk from point A to point B(she cannot walk in her heels and needs to stand leaning on something).

I may be the only one, but Will reminds me of a garden gnome!

rubyrat
01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi Big Dave.

the point of Will:

yes Will is surplus to requirements...

Akimbo
01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
He's like Jimmy Neutron (over-large head*)

(* yes it's a personal comment. No I'm not perfect either. Bite me!)

holmca
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM
the point of Will:

I know it has been said before, but what I can't understand why AJ goes for the "face in the bag of flour" look. She also goes for the heavy black eye liner and mascara and its just too harsh.

With all of the lovely Laura Geller products on a day or so ago, she still had the same look. I would have thought that with all of the make up that Will might or might not lug around for her, that she would experiment a bit.

On second thoughts, maybe its Will who does her make up...

miss molly
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I know it has been said before, but what I can't understand why AJ goes for the "face in the bag of flour" look. She also goes for the heavy black eye liner and mascara and its just too harsh.

With all of the lovely Laura Geller products on a day or so ago, she still had the same look. I would have thought that with all of the make up that Will might or might not lug around for her, that she would experiment a bit.

On second thoughts, maybe its Will who does her make up...

She is a qualified Makeup Artist don't you know :thinking:

donna255
01-08-2013, 06:13 PM
She is a qualified Makeup Artist don't you know :thinking:

Best joke I have heard in ages!

holmca
01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
A qualified plasterer I would believe...

Jabbathehut
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I've seen better brushwork in kindergarten

loveallthingsitalian
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted but Carmel's blog has been updated to announce her departure. Better late than never Q since the dogs in the street knew she was off to TJC

yesilkedi
01-08-2013, 10:44 PM
And Julian Ballantyne's FB page says 'WORKED at QVC UK. After being there from Day 1 they don't even have the decency to say a proper goodbye.

stratobuddy
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
And Julian Ballantyne's FB page says 'WORKED at QVC UK. After being there from Day 1 they don't even have the decency to say a proper goodbye.

It was the same with Tim Goodwin, he was a regular presenter for years, then he was no longer there, not a word ever mentioned, as if he had never existed.

Tilly O
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
I was surprised to see that Carmel is starting at the Jewellery Channel. Is this due to the QVC shake up or has Carmel decided that QVC is not for her?

donna255
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Tim upset someone Alan. He made a joke on air and it did not go down well.

donna255
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
No one knows?????? Was she pushed or did she jump????

Anna and Carmel started at the same time so their contracts must be up at the same time.

stratobuddy
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes, I saw that, and the joke was against Julian. But QVC could at least mention that he and Julian had left, no need to give reasons, but it would end all the speculation.

Big Dave
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM

That's disgusting treatment from long term employees.

Tilly O
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know the reasons behind this move?

louise66
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I rally find it inconceivable, that the Q haven't even acknowledged Jules' departure, considering his long service and his popularity. One would question the circs which led up to his leaving. Whilst it is not the duty of an employer, generically, to announce when an employer is leaving, this is a different situation, whre that employee, Julian, is know to millions of viewers who are, understandably, interested in why he is no longer employed by the channel. The Q doesn't have to tell us why he is no longer on air, but to mention that he has left and issue thanks for the years he was with them, would, I feel, be appropriate.

StumpyBloke
03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
This ^^^^^

But I think everyone had to bear in mind that like pretty much every other company, QVC don't give a toss about its customers or staff, as long as the profit keeps coming in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

London
03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I rally find it inconceivable, that the Q haven't even acknowledged Jules' departure, considering his long service and his popularity. One would question the circs which led up to his leaving. Whilst it is not the duty of an employer, generically, to announce when an employer is leaving, this is a different situation, whre that employee, Julian, is know to millions of viewers who are, understandably, interested in why he is no longer employed by the channel. The Q doesn't have to tell us why he is no longer on air, but to mention that he has left and issue thanks for the years he was with them, would, I feel, be appropriate.

I have to totally agree with you on this one. It just goes to show how little this employer respects it's employees, contracted or non-contracted. Disgraceful in my view.

If, for example, you were a foreman of a building site and had worked for the company for several years and your contact was not renewed for whatever reason so be it BUT when you are a well known face on tv and a fav of many then it would be courteous to offer a polite goodbye and issue an agreed public statement on the website, at the very least.

loujareth
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
This ^^^^^

QVC don't give a toss about its customers or staff, as long as the profit keeps coming in!

I feel that so much now Sbloke, can't abide the company now.

holmca
03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Its the double standards I don't like. If you are working in a normal company and are leaving after 20 years, there is normally a whip round and a few drinks where everyone says good bye etc. Of course if you are fired or made redundant, then this doesn't happen.

However, QVC "promote" a sort of friendship with the presenters in the way of blogs, twitter and facebook accounts, so you can chat and ask questions and know a bit more about that person. This as far as I can see is to promote that person's sales and therefore QVCs by a form of friendship. So it should work both ways. If contractually the person involved can not say why they have disappeared, e.g. they locked AJ in a broom cupboard, then certainly QVC should just say a polite thank you for their service end of story.

Personally I never read the blogs as they are not my friends, I doubt if I will ever meet them so it is unlikely they will become my friends, therefore I am not interested in what they had for lunch.

Also I feel that the presenters should present less. When you have knowledgeable people explaining about their products, they should be left to explain with the odd comment from the QVC presenter.

madmax
04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
It looks to me as though Q have shown as much loyalty to their staff as they do to long standing customers (re the "letter").
As has already been said they spend promoting their friendly family image, inviting us into the "real lives" of the presenters via the likes of Facebook and Twitter while their on line blogs give far to much personal information as far as I am concerned.
I don't need to know who's child is off to uni with a transporter full of NN, Cooks Essentials and all of the other stuff Q say they are going to need.
Has any one from Q ever been into a student room??
There isn't usually room to swing a cat let alone fill it with all of the other cr@p they go on about.
So get real Q while we might not have a "right" to know whats going on you are only damaging all of the hard work you have put in to the friendly family image by allowing this to drag on and on and on.

boffy
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
if they can keep craig over Julian you know its about who is more malleable and who has a specific grovelling type spiel that qvc want. I cant see Debbie greenwood grovelling to cutomers either.

poppy43
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Do you think that DG may be fronting one of the new channels they are starting in 10 days time!!!

madmax
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Do you think that DG may be fronting one of the new channels they are starting in 10 days time!!!

As far as I can see all they have been showing on 683 are repeats rather like the beauty channel.
It is looking like another way to increase their web presence with out increasing their costs to much.
If all they are doing is reshowing clips from previous shows I don't see what the point is.
But I have noticed they have drastically reduced the number of videos showing on the website now .so maybe this is the replacement.

Nicky-j
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I've had experience of employment from both sides of the 'manager's' desk. Sometimes people want no fuss when they leave, sometimes they leave with their employers' blessing, sometimes not. Sometimes they have been made redundant, sometimes they have been sacked, sometimes their contract is up. Each time is different and the way employer and employee (and their colleagues) deal with it is unique. There may be disputes, or even just fine details to settle before anyone can make a statement. Sometimes a person leaves to take up a new opportunity at a competitor, for example. I was made 'redundant' from a job after working there for just nine months some years ago and was given flowers and a huge box of chocolates and a big send-off when I went. (Having said which, it had been a terrible place to work!). Another job I left (of my own accord) after fourteen years and not one of my colleagues bothered even to say 'goodbye'. I've seen people sacked for all sorts of things, even people refuse to let anyone know they were leaving (even though it was to have a baby) until after they'd gone. I've seen stroppy workers chuck in the towel and leave the employer in the lurch and others willing enough but just unable to do the job properly yet be given a good pay-off by their boss. I've even seen people managing to set up their own business using their employer's supplies, time and telephone lines and whilst angling to get a redundancy. I've worked for really great employers and really terrible ones, and had fantastic co-workers and sneaky ones. I suppose what I'm saying is that there are no 'rules' for how to dismiss, let go, or say goodbye to an employee, nor how to leave, be sacked or bid farewell to an employer, save the minimal legal ones that govern pay and that sort of thing.

Dips
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
:mysmilie_471::mysmilie_497: 100%

However, I still feel that once contractual issues have been settled, a comment wishing peeps well in their new jobs should be made, especially for Julian and Debbie.

Pinkpussycat
04-08-2013, 05:40 PM
DG may be on garden leave and neither the employer or employee will/can say anything during that period of time.

Loveinamist
04-08-2013, 05:44 PM
What is garden leave, is it put out to pasture?

Sazza
04-08-2013, 05:55 PM
http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42723-MISSING-Presumed-on-quot-Gardening-Leave-quot&p=696463#post696463

Big Dave
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
What is garden leave, is it put out to pasture?

Garden leave is generally in certain types of jobs they make you see out your notice period before starting your new employment. This could be for a variety of reasons. In a large plc the company you are leaving to join a rival would not want you to take their up to date secrets, info etc and if your leave is 3 months you effectively 'do some gardening' lol. This would be applicable to CEO's and high level Directors.

On a more normal level you may leave an estate agency to join a rival. The day your hand your notice in, your current employer may not want you to continue work. This could be because you've lost interest in selling the property or possibly and more likely, when dealing with vendors you may be trying to tempt them to put your property on with your new firm. So if you have a months notice, your garden will be very happy :-)

donna255
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
IW did that with Paul Lavers when he got the boot. He could not work on shopping telly for so many years after.

boffy
04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
IW did that with Paul Lavers when he got the boot. He could not work on shopping telly for so many years after.

what a waste that was. paul lavers is one of the presenters I remember the most. imo he made qvc fun and entertaining. can still see that wicked smile now.

Dips
04-08-2013, 08:41 PM

I don't think it's possible to restrict someone for years, I think the max is a year and only if you compensate them. It becomes an unfair contract if it's too restrictive.

Big Dave
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM
It can only be for a specific time. Even then it can be disputed under a legal point of 'freedom of restriction of trade' in other words contracts will be only so binding.

julesycat
05-08-2013, 10:08 AM
That's disgusting treatment from long term employees.

I remember only a few months ago Julian saying to a guest that he had been there from day 1 and didn't see himself going anywhere anytime soon ... so his disappearance is very odd to me.

I tweeted Dale at QVC this weekend abt Debbie and Julian and he said they were on personal leave at the moment . hhmmm

louise66
05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Of course we are going to speculate on the reasons for presenters' departure; In one of his blogs, Julian posted a pic of himself and Craig, referring to the latter as his "mini me". Could this have been frowned upon, by the powers that be?

May
05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
wow its all weird...the suspense is terrible ...(reminds me of what Willy Wonker said when Augustus Glute went up the chocolate shute....) i wish them both well whatever has happened ...life happens i suppose ,,

Weathergirl
05-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I am fed up speculating. It will all be forgotten soon and bet that's what Q are hoping.

loveallthingsitalian
05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I think Debbie G could never imagine she could generate this much interest and would not be normal if she wasn't luvin' it.

caretodiffer
05-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I have read all 38 pages in this thread.
So we still don't know what happening with Debbie G and Julian B. I have seen their faces over the years and they are someone you recognise, I agree that they are not friends , but they are someone I see very often, in my house , not in person, but on TV. I am not human if I don't wonder what has happened to them if suddenly they are not there. It is only human nature wanting to know has happened to them.
Debbie G to me is someone who always appeared neat, ate a lot of chocolates and "hum" ed, "ahm" ed and "emm"ed alot.......won't b missed so much
Julian is someone who was very frank, very professional with a sense of humour and would try to get things explained simply and clearly by the guests for the members benefit:) would miss his snippets about his family........made him one of us, without giving too much info, like Catherine H . He never greased up to guests, like what Catherine H, Jill F and Craig C
Not dotty like Anne D and hardly there like Jill H.
So, come on QVC, it will be nice if we knew whats going on, thank you.

Loveinamist
05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Imagine how many pages JR would generate in a day!

Julius
05-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Why doesn't someone try actually telephoning Customer Services and asking them directly?!

yesilkedi
05-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Go on then, I dare you!

donna255
06-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Yes Paul Lavers and Debbie Flint got the boot from IW just after the fire(who remembers the Channel 4 documentary about the opening of the channel and comparing it to QVC?), but held to the rest of their sign contract. There was a lot of chat on here about how they where both being held to the length of their contracts, and how petty IW had been. Debbie then popped up on a channel owned by Sky about 18 months -2 years later. Paul didn't appear anywhere for a long time even after that.

Boris Bear
06-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Anyone fancy being a T-caller? :call:

Big Dave
06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
It's getting more and more ridiculous that no ones said anything. Poor old Debbie has obviously been banned from tweeting. Over 10,000 tweets now nothing for two weeks. She must be under contract instructions but its very said how Q have disposed of so many without even acknowledging them :-( Disappointing!

Lilo Lil
07-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Very bad PR for the Q!

boffy
07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
qvc are getting slicker and slicker they really don't give a dam "kerching"

CBX1000
07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I've bought nothing from them for 5 months now and its things like this that make me glad I haven't.

WHO do they think they are treating (what we believe they were/are) excellent employee's like this, as said before disgraceful!

Senior Heads at HQ must be too big to look/fit around the door to the PR department who should take the brunt of what has happened.

I'm livid, look at website at the presenters blogs, all still there, even the ones who have actually been allowed to say their goodbyes, Anna and Carmel, surely they cannot be too busy to sit down for 5 minutes to sort this mess out.

Over 84,000 view now and still counting.....

Jazzydrury
07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
What would happen if a customer, went through tto chat to a presenter about something they were selling, and finished, with, ooh i havent seen Debbie/Juilan around for a while, i hope they arent poorly as they were my favourites blah blah.

Has anybody tried tweeting presenters, i no its been mentioned on here somebody tweeted Dale, and he kinda give the answer, management speel

Julius
07-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Someone PLEASE telephone Customer Services and directly ask them!!

Sazza
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Someone PLEASE telephone Customer Services and directly ask them!!

Why don't you call instead of asking others to?

Julius
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
"Does Julian Ballantyne still work at QVC?" Just ASK them! It's not free to call freephone numbers on my phone otherwise I would call them. Please can someone call and see how they respond to specific questions?!

Loveinamist
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't bother, they are a law unto themselves.

Graham
07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I just phoned Customer Services, first she said I don't think so, she then went off to check with "the team" she came back and said he definitely has not left, which as we know is total rubbish.

Julius
07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Hmm sounds like they are giving out misleading information!

Mrsmouse
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
It sounds to me like they are still within their notice periods so are still technically working for QVC. I was recently made redundant and as part of the package signed a compromise agreement in return for an ad hoc additional payment. Part of the agreement stipulated that I was not to discuss with anyone the process of being made redundant - which was handled in a shockingly incompetent manner!

bumblebee
07-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I really do wish someone would tell us what is going on

miss molly
07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I think the silence speaks volumes, they won't say anything and hope it all goes away.

bumblebee
07-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I do think this is all very strange. Laying off/axing/disappearing 4 presenters in this very mysterious and sinister way, people on short time in the call centre, other redundancies in the QVC Chiswick HQ recently. They get great coverage in the press for their 20th anniversary, but what is the REAL financial position of the company? I am sure there is more transparency in the KGB.

Jazzydrury
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Cutting costs, i guess people ordering on the Website or Apps, have meant less orders placed via the phone. And with the Presenters im guessing Jackie and Chloes wages = Debbie G's or Juilans wage.

bumblebee
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Do you think it is a question of replacing the experienced preseters with younger, blonder models?

chubchop
07-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Do you think it is a question of replacing the experienced preseters with younger, blonder models?
I think you might be right, Bumblebee. If it happens at the BBC, it can happen at a shopping channel. Very disappointing.

Autumn
07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Well I had a dream Debbie greenwood was on Ideal world and also cooking me dinner in her kitchen so you never know , If she does appear on IW just call me Meg :cheeky:

Loveinamist
07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
She'll end up as the Thornton's guest!

Spottybotty
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Well you could be right!! I've never seen anyone eat so much chocolate and love it SO much. She is a real fun presenter, very down-to-earth and I hope she hasn't left.

bumblebee
07-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Has everyone seen this in the News Section?
http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42723-MISSING-Presumed-on-quot-Gardening-Leave-quot
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Autumn
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Has everyone seen this in the News Section?
http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42723-MISSING-Presumed-on-quot-Gardening-Leave-quot
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Yep sazza already posted this a few days ago lol

goddess
09-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Debbie is back on twitter.

She haS retweeted lots of messages from people saying that they miss her.

bumblebee
09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Has she answered the million dollar question, though?

louise66
09-08-2013, 02:30 PM
If she's tweeting again, then I would expect us finding out what is going on is imminent.

bumblebee
09-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I wonder if any more presenters will suddenly disappear?? Perhaps they are being executed in batches of 4 and buried under the patio in the QVC car park!!

Starlight
09-08-2013, 02:43 PM
She tweeted 'Unfortunately can't comment on QVC atm' in reply to someone commenting that they were sad she'd left QVC

Spottybotty
09-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I bet we'll never know the truth unless there is a court case.

miss molly
09-08-2013, 03:47 PM
She sure likes to tweet.

Spottybotty
09-08-2013, 04:03 PM
She sure likes to tweet.

I like the jokes!

Julius
09-08-2013, 04:48 PM
The copy on Shoppingtelly news is quite poorly written:

This at a time when popular presenters Julian Ballantyne and Debbie Greenwood has gone missing from the channel, presumed on "Gardening Leave".

It should read something along the lines of: "This comes at a time when popular presenters Julian Ballantyne and Debbie Greenqood have been off air for a lengthy period without explanation. They are presumed to be on "garden leave."

bumblebee
09-08-2013, 05:29 PM
She sure likes to tweet.

Has anyone tried leaving messages on her QVC blog ? Considering this thread here has had about 89000 hits, there seem to be very few questions there. Are they being censored?

:thinking:http://blogs.qvcuk.com/debbie_greenwood/?nonqiclink

Lilo Lil
10-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Would either Julian or Debbie wish to continue working for a company that appears to treat 2 of its long term employees so shabbily? Obviously, at the moment, every comment on here is speculation but what is known is that QVC has a bit of a PR disaster on its hands!

Whatsgoinon?
10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Sorry, just popping in with a thought having read the last couple of threads...looking at both Debbie and Julian's blog, neither have posted since June. Do you think it could be to do with the new shopping channels they are launching this month?
It is a shame that presenters just appear to disappear, Anna and now Carmel, who I spotted the other night on the Jewellery Channel when I couldn't sleep and my leg was giving me jip following surgery. Very late hours for a newish mum, must be hard.

donna255
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
The new channels are like the Beauty channel, all repeats.

caretodiffer
10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I think the silence speaks volumes, they won't say anything and hope it all goes away.
Maybe they are rethinking after seeing all this kind of response????

techwatcher
10-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Maybe they are rethinking after seeing all this kind of response????

Unlikely; QVC are a business and likely care little about what a relatively few number of viewers think.

There's been a long history of presenter who suddenly 'disappear'; it's likely that these two are soon to be added to that list.

The likely reason for the silence is a confidentiality clause in their contracts, which probably applies to QVC too.

bumblebee
10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Unlikely; QVC are a business and likely care little about what a relatively few number of viewers think.

There's been a long history of presenter who suddenly 'disappear'; it's likely that these two are soon to be added to that list.

The likely reason for the silence is a confidentiality clause in their contracts, which probably applies to QVC too.

I think you are absolutely right in that they will not care what anyone thinks as long as it doesn't affect profits in the short term. However, 4 presenters disappearing at the same time is unprecedented. Others like Sarah and Cloudia and Anthony and Gary Purden have gone but it has never been weird like this. Yes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game. Perhaps they were given a decent pay off to keep quiet, who knows. But what a coincidence that they should all leave at exactly the same time of their own free will. Remarkable. Does anyone believe it for a second?
And you can say that a relatively few number of people are upset, but only a relatively small number of customers read this forum. Times that by the millions of people who watch and buy from QVC but don't get involved in forums and you have a LOT of puzzled and disappointed viewers who feel silly that thy have fallen for the hype of the QVC family. QVC , the company who cares....about profit.....clearly not about people. How many millions of pounds did their shiny new studios cost just a year ago? Julian and Debbie had been there for years and were really well liked. This is just not cricket and it leaves a sour taste.

donna255
11-08-2013, 08:50 AM
QVC for years always tried to give the "We Are A Family" vibe, I even read this in a magazine it might have the Daily Mail???? The US group had it, oh you are one of us when you shop with QVC. The lonely and housebound, come join us. Yeah, I thought and my bum's a plum!!!!! They are a business here to sell stuff and that is it.

Just like Disney(what you think they all love kids and are a big family????), ruthless the stories that come out. You step in their way and the lawyers will have you by the throat.

The presenters blogs and tweeting on QVC, we love you keep in touch with us. Its all business and they want to sell you stuff. Just look at the people cut off for how dare use to much product and send back or too many products(even if they are returns and or faulty), you see the other side in fact the real face of QVC.

Things have got tough for QVC US and UK and the hard face is showing more and more. I know reading the QVC community on the US version some well loved presenters suddenly disappeared there too over a two year period. People still ask where is Dave(whoever)and a female presenter, I wish he/she was back. Just like Debbie and Julian long term presenters just disappeared. They are asked on the community page but never answer or on their Facebook page.

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Yes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game.

??? Anna had a farewell show in which, while no big fuss was made, but she was told she would be missed, had glowing testimony from Catherine and did actually announce that this was her last show. Carmel has gone to The Jewellery Channel, essentially a rival company. She was able to make an announcement just prior to beginning there, but under the circumstances you'd hardly expect QVC to make a big song and dance about it.

Spottybotty
11-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Forgive me Nicky but I think Donna has got it right and that you are being true to your "choosing to think the best of people" philosophy. To lose one presenter could be considered bad luck, 2 could be coincidence, 3 could make you think "what's going on here?" and 4 is unmistakably a cull.

Sazza
11-08-2013, 12:15 PM
QVC for years always tried to give the "We Are A Family" vibe, I even read this in a magazine it might have the Daily Mail???? The US group had it, oh you are one of us when you shop with QVC. The lonely and housebound, come join us. Yeah, I thought and my bum's a plum!!!!! They are a business here to sell stuff and that is it.

Just like Disney(what you think they all love kids and are a big family????), ruthless the stories that come out. You step in their way and the lawyers will have you by the throat.

The presenters blogs and tweeting on QVC, we love you keep in touch with us. Its all business and they want to sell you stuff. Just look at the people cut off for how dare use to much product and send back or too many products(even if they are returns and or faulty), you see the other side in fact the real face of QVC.

Things have got tough for QVC US and UK and the hard face is showing more and more. I know reading the QVC community on the US version some well loved presenters suddenly disappeared there too over a two year period. People still ask where is Dave(whoever)and a female presenter, I wish he/she was back. Just like Debbie and Julian long term presenters just disappeared. They are asked on the community page but never answer or on their Facebook page.

And in DM article they even used photo of one of the missing presenters!!!!

rubyrat
11-08-2013, 12:32 PM
And in DM article they even used photo of one of the missing presenters!!!!

well that sounds like a kick in the teeth....

Spottybotty
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Which presenter?

techwatcher
11-08-2013, 01:00 PM
IYes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game. Perhaps they were given a decent pay off to keep quiet, who knows.

Not sure they would be 'given a decent pay off to keep quiet'. All the presenters will have a contract valid for a certain time; in effect they are temporary workers for QVC. Before the end of that contract negotiations will take place to decide whether, and on what terms, a new contract will be entered into.

I can see a couple of scenarios; firstly there's an amicable discussion between the parties who agree that there will be no new contract - maybe this was the case with Anna and Carmell. The other scenario could be that the parties cannot agree either a new contract or new terms in which case the confidentiality clauses apply, the presenters 'disappear' and aren't allowed to comment on the matter. If it's the latter case we will likely never found out what occurred...

bumblebee
11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't think there was anything tempory about Julian B who had been on QVC for 20 years!! Or DG for 12 years, so why would they not be members of staff like normal people?? SOME of the presenters would be on short term contracts I imagine, but people like Charlie, and Dale, Kathy etc will be employees.

loveheart
11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I thought all the presenters were self employed. If Julian and Debbie left on bad terms or if there is any legal action pending then they wouldn't get a mention on the FB page or on telly.

techwatcher
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't think there was anything tempory about Julian B who had been on QVC for 20 years!! Or DG for 12 years, so why would they not be members of staff like normal people?? SOME of the presenters would be on short term contracts I imagine, but people like Charlie, and Dale, Kathy etc will be employees.

It's not unusual in many fields for people to work long term using temporary contracts; it can be beneficial for both employer and contractor.

Boris Bear
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I thought all the presenters were self employed. If Julian and Debbie left on bad terms or if there is any legal action pending then they wouldn't get a mention on the FB page or on telly.
I always imagined they would not be on a standard employment contract as the hours they work vary and a lot of the presenters do other work as well as being on QVC.

Moth
11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
QVC - the company that knows the value of a presenter but not their worth.

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Forgive me Nicky but I think Donna has got it right and that you are being true to your "choosing to think the best of people" philosophy. To lose one presenter could be considered bad luck, 2 could be coincidence, 3 could make you think "what's going on here?" and 4 is unmistakably a cull.

Nothing to forgive, Spottybotty. Both Anna and Carmel started at the same time and so their contracts would most likely be up at the same time, so them leaving at the same time is not surprising. We don't know what has happened with Julian and Debbie, don't know when it might have happened (if it did), or when their contracts were/are 'up'. I'm not choosing to think the best of people, just not filling in the gaps in my knowledge with either positive or negative assumptions.
I, just like everyone else, have a 'pet theory' about what may or may not have happened (actually quite a few variations on it), but I can't see the point of airing those theories when we really have nothing but guesswork to go on. It's not about a philosphy or a mantra or anything else, save not wanting to go around and around in circles when there really is nothing to add.

Julius
11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Maybe Debbie Greenwood and Juliian Ballantyne are doing some gardening! I should point out that the correct term is "garden leave" and not "gardening leave," when an employee is given a period of leave, usually preceding redundancy.

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Maybe Debbie Greenwood and Juliian Ballantyne are doing some gardening! I should point out that the correct term is "garden leave" and not "gardening leave," when an employee is given a period of leave, usually preceding redundancy.
According to the UK Government website (don't ask me how/why I know this) the correct term IS 'gardening leave'. I think both are perfectly acceptable.

Sazza
11-08-2013, 03:21 PM

It can be either garden or gardening, the Government use the term Gardening Leave

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/gardening-leave

Julius
11-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Trust the Government to get it wrong! "garden" leave is better, trust me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Trust the Government to get it wrong! "garden" leave is better, trust me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave

Unlike Wikipedia … like I said, both ARE acceptable.

Julius
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Either can be used, however one is more correct than the other. The reason for this is that "gardening leave" implies that the time is given for employees to pursue non work-related activity (such as gardening) and "garden leave" more accurately describes the situation - i.e that they are still connected with the "house" (on the payroll / in contract) but are not "in" the house (they are not welcome or are slightly outside of the main goings on) hence they are in the garden, and on "garden leave" and not "gardening leave." Of course they may do some gardening while they are in the garden, and they may not" There are some subtle nuances that make the two terms different. They are certainly not synonymous with each other!

Big Dave
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
It's amazing how the word garden can create such enthusiasm on a topic :-)

Adviser or advisor eh?

Cream on top of jam, or jam on top of cream?

Scone or scone? (Second one is pronounced scon)

Many things we could debate :heart:

Weathergirl
11-08-2013, 05:41 PM
It's always been "garden leave" to me, but my husband calls it "gardening leave" which always sounds odd to me.

Bettyboo
11-08-2013, 05:42 PM
What a load of rubbish. This thread has become silly in the extreme. Who the hell cares what sort of leave they are on, surely it is no ones business wether they are in the bloody garden or anywhere else. It's all conjecture and supposition.

Big Dave
11-08-2013, 05:42 PM
As regards to the Presenters, some may well be salaried or contracted, but more likely they are self employed and freelance if they have other income outlets. The Inland Revenue will not let them be self employed if Q is there only source of income (or almost all their income). It all changed a few years ago because of tradesmen. If however they have different forms of income they will undoubtedly be self employed.

Advantage - tax efficiency! Disadvantage - easier to be got rid of!

They could of course be registered as a Limited Company which is what I'd imagine they are.

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Adviser or advisor eh?

Don't get me started on those! ;-) :cheeky: I'm a stickler for things being the right way, but only if there's a definitive answer. On the bright side, it's taken the focus off Debbie, Julian and the QVC are-they-or-aren't-they saga for 5 minutes. And that can't be a bad thing!:happy

Nicky-j
11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
What a load of rubbish. This thread has become silly in the extreme. Who the hell cares what sort of leave they are on, surely it is no ones business wether they are in the bloody garden or anywhere else. It's all conjecture and supposition.

That was, kind of, my point! I only mentioned the garden/gardening debate because there really is no answer and so no-one should be made to feel they have done something wrong when they haven't. But you're right. Way off topic. And a topic which is, as I have said a number of times, rather pointless since we know nothing other than that we don't know anything! And I, for one, am certainly not wasting any more time on it.
In fact, I've deleted one of my posts on the subject, but am unable to do so with the others since someone has commented on them (I think).

stratobuddy
11-08-2013, 08:58 PM
That was, kind of, my point! I only mentioned the garden/gardening debate because there really is no answer and so no-one should be made to feel they have done something wrong when they haven't. But you're right. Way off topic. And a topic which is, as I have said a number of times, rather pointless since we know nothing other than that we don't know anything! And I, for one, am certainly not wasting any more time on it.
In fact, I've deleted one of my posts on the subject, but am unable to do so with the others since someone has commented on them (I think).

I tried to click LIKE on your deleted post, because I liked the reason you gave for deleting it, but I couldn't find the LIKE button (because the post had been deleted lol)

Kop Girl
11-08-2013, 09:02 PM
As regards to the Presenters, some may well be salaried or contracted, but more likely they are self employed and freelance if they have other income outlets. The Inland Revenue will not let them be self employed if Q is there only source of income (or almost all their income). It all changed a few years ago because of tradesmen. If however they have different forms of income they will undoubtedly be self employed.

Advantage - tax efficiency! Disadvantage - easier to be got rid of!

They could of course be registered as a Limited Company which is what I'd imagine they are.

Big Dave, I am a foster carer and we are only allowed to be registered with one agency but we are treated as self -employed by HMRC

Julius
11-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Betty we were just discussing two variants of a phrase commonly used in the world of HR and employment. I guess as someone that has worked in translation for some time I get very into the nuances and subtle differences between certain words and phrases. "Gardening leave" is 1) more American English and 2) more positive and suggestive of compassionate leave. "Garden leave" is more British English and indicative of a company's willingness to distance themself from an employee or a situation pertaining that employee. I am fairly sure that were indeed the reasons surrounding Greenwood and Ballantyne's departure more positive there would be less of a silence / cover-up. The general circumstances and geographical location of QVC (UK) mean that "garden leave" is more suitable than "gardening leave." Both variants of the phrase are slightly odd anyway, however one is more suitable than the other! Furthermore the whole thread has been largely conjecture and supposition due to the lack of any official announcement or even acknowledgement of the absence of two long-serving presenters from our screens. QVC try to project a family image however their actions smack of a corporate cover-up. This is a discussion thread and people are quite within their rights to discuss it!

bumblebee
12-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree Julius.

London
13-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Interesting to see Anna and Carmel are now removed from QVC presenter's blogs page now but Debbie and Julian are still there. Just saying.

Sazza
13-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Can't help wonder just how long QVC are going to pretend nothing is going on!!! They going to keep the blogs there even if Debbie or Julian appear working elsewhere???

Loveinamist
14-08-2013, 12:47 AM
J and D's last blogs were on the same day, strange coincidence.

donna255
14-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I have this vision of twenty years from now they will still be there. People will say, "Oh, I remember them. Whatever happened to them?" People keep asking on the FB page with no reply.

stratobuddy
14-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I think the title of this thread should be altered to add "and Julian" as it is as much about him as DG now

ERICS MUM
14-08-2013, 10:46 AM
bet QVC are loving this - people tuning in to see if DG or JB are on and then maybe buying stuff !

Bettyboo
14-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Betty we were just discussing two variants of a phrase commonly used in the world of HR and employment. I guess as someone that has worked in translation for some time I get very into the nuances and subtle differences between certain words and phrases. "Gardening leave" is 1) more American English and 2) more positive and suggestive of compassionate leave. "Garden leave" is more British English and indicative of a company's willingness to distance themself from an employee or a situation pertaining that employee. I am fairly sure that were indeed the reasons surrounding Greenwood and Ballantyne's departure more positive there would be less of a silence / cover-up. The general circumstances and geographical location of QVC (UK) mean that "garden leave" is more suitable than "gardening leave." Both variants of the phrase are slightly odd anyway, however one is more suitable than the other! Furthermore the whole thread has been largely conjecture and supposition due to the lack of any official announcement or even acknowledgement of the absence of two long-serving presenters from our screens. QVC try to project a family image however their actions smack of a corporate cover-up. This is a discussion thread and people are quite within their rights to discuss it!
Julius please do not talk down/ preach to me I find the above a load of drivel and couldn't care less about what kind of leave is being referred to. I have not missed any of these presenters as they are not important in my life.

Julius
14-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm not talking down to or preaching to anyone. I stated my point clearly. There isn't a great deal more that can be said, other than that your comments betray a touch of arrogance! I find it strange that someone should object to people discussing things on a discussion thread. Maybe you couldn't care less, but you certainly cared enough to post your points, didn't you?! You are quite within your rights not to care. You are quite within your rights to say so but you may wish to be aware of the possibility that other people do care. At least I would imagine they do, otherwise that thread would not have been so popular.
Julius please do not talk down/ preach to me I find the above a load of drivel and couldn't care less about what kind of leave is being referred to. I have not missed any of these presenters as they are not important in my life.

Bettyboo
14-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not talking down to or preaching to anyone. I stated my point clearly. There isn't a great deal more that can be said, other than that your comments betray a touch of arrogance! I find it strange that someone should object to people discussing things on a discussion thread. Maybe you couldn't care less, but you certainly cared enough to post your points, didn't you?! You are quite within your rights not to care. You are quite within your rights to say so but you may wish to be aware of the possibility that other people do care. At least I would imagine they do, otherwise that thread would not have been so popular.Im not sure when I objected to people discussing anything. I like you am able to state my opinion. End of.

Rozzy
14-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Adviser or advisor eh?

I was born in Cornwall but have lived all my life 1 mile from the border in Devon, it's never "sconne" always "scoan" and always jam before cream............but some may say otherwise! I made 3 dozen scones this morning.....yummy!:flower:

loveheart
15-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I say scoan, prefer them with sultanas but cream first then jam.

Nora
15-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Well Ive never heard of the term 'gardening or garden leave' anyway! :mysmilie_506::mysmilie_506:

theresa b
15-08-2013, 11:13 AM
bella_bambina
Happy Shopper
Post Thanks / Like
Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
"Did anyone see the Kipling show this morning?
Dont think this was aired and not sure if it will be on tonight as it is not showing on 3 EP

but I caught a bit of the show and one of the bags had a keyring with the name Sarah
but I dont know which colour it was think it might be grey sky but not sure
Can anyone help?
I have phoned customer service but no one was available to help just now & I wont be at home at 7pm to call in and ask then.
Is this the item you mean? http://www.qvcuk.com/Kipling-Kerrie-...%3b%4049ec49ec

I saw the 1pm big brand day show yesterday & they did mention a bag with a monkey called Sarah! I think it was this item and yes in the grey sky opotion. Can't guarantee it though! Maybe ask on Kipling Facebook?

Can't believe someone tweeted saying that they have nearly 400 Kipling bags!!

BTW, where is Julia Roberts going? She said that today will be last show for the rest of the year!"

Just copied this over from an other thread on Kipling bags... did anyone see Julia's show yesterday? This is weird if she is also having a long sabbatical like Pipa...

Sazza
15-08-2013, 11:50 AM
bella_bambina
Happy Shopper
Post Thanks / Like
Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
"Did anyone see the Kipling show this morning?
Dont think this was aired and not sure if it will be on tonight as it is not showing on 3 EP

but I caught a bit of the show and one of the bags had a keyring with the name Sarah
but I dont know which colour it was think it might be grey sky but not sure
Can anyone help?
I have phoned customer service but no one was available to help just now & I wont be at home at 7pm to call in and ask then.
Is this the item you mean? http://www.qvcuk.com/Kipling-Kerrie-...%3b%4049ec49ec

I saw the 1pm big brand day show yesterday & they did mention a bag with a monkey called Sarah! I think it was this item and yes in the grey sky opotion. Can't guarantee it though! Maybe ask on Kipling Facebook?

Can't believe someone tweeted saying that they have nearly 400 Kipling bags!!

BTW, where is Julia Roberts going? She said that today will be last show for the rest of the year!"

Just copied this over from an other thread on Kipling bags... did anyone see Julia's show yesterday? This is weird if she is also having a long sabbatical like Pipa...

It was Pipa who did the Kipling show yesterday not Julia. Pipa is moving and is taking a break from QVC and will be back in 2014, her last show is this afternoon when she is on 1-3pm with Butler & Wilson.

Whatsgoinon?
15-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Did anybody else hear the comment Chloe made yesterday to Simon from BW. Can't remember the whole conversation, but it was to do with Chloe being even more femine (if that's the right word) by the end of the year and she replied "If I'm still here then"?!!

Loveinamist
15-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Did anybody else hear the comment Chloe made yesterday to Simon from BW. Can't remember the whole conversation, but it was to do with Chloe being even more femine (if that's the right word) by the end of the year and she replied "If I'm still here then"?!!

Oooooooh! New thread potential! Dodgy statement if she is safe. They can't be pleased with that.

Pollybelle
15-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes I heard her say that as well - the presenters must feel very unsettled by what is going on. Simon was on a roll yesterday winding up the presenters - loved it when he commented to JF when she said she liked/had something that he watches her on QVC and she always says that. Talk about awkward moment - JF looked embarrassed LOL. Simon then mused that she *had* to say that about the goods and she was saying it to keep him happy. It did make me laugh - I do like Simon even if I don't like a lot of his jewellery.

Jazzydrury
15-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Butler & Wilson show today, simon was winding up Pipa, saying things like if you come back, and she said a few times, i fully intend to be coming back January or February time. She did say you can contact her on twitter.

boffy
15-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Oooooooh! New thread potential! Dodgy statement if she is safe. They can't be pleased with that.

shes brave lol..I quite like chloe she does the job well management must like her surely!

Julius
15-08-2013, 07:13 PM
In getting rid of Ballantyne abd Greenwood Q have saved themselves about 100k a year I reckon. they may chop a few more. They won't chop Julia Roberts as she is not that far off retirement anyway and my retire early due to health concerns. Also people would really notice if she just vanished, as she is seen as the doyenne of QVC.

CBX1000
15-08-2013, 07:34 PM
In getting rid of Ballantyne abd Greenwood Q have saved themselves about 100k a year I reckon. they may chop a few more. They won't chop Julia Roberts as she is not that far off retirement anyway and my retire early due to health concerns. Also people would really notice if she just vanished, as she is seen as the doyenne of QVC.

Julius, I recon you are way off there, in the 1970's maybe. I should think it would be nearer the 100k each

boffy
15-08-2013, 07:59 PM

maybe a lot more than that Julius. still everone knows what they have to do to keep their jobs sell sell sell!

Julius
15-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes. I read somewhere that QVC had experienced a 2% dip in revenue. What better way to offset that than to ditch a few of the less important but still costly long term presenters!!??

Bet this guy knows what's going on!

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/anthony-reid/21/330/583

Scout
15-08-2013, 08:14 PM
.......They won't chop Julia Roberts as she is not that far off retirement anyway and my retire early due to health concerns. Also people would really notice if she just vanished, as she is seen as the doyenne of QVC.

She certainly sees herself as the doyenne of QVC at any rate, what others see her as is a matter for conjecture. I doubt that I'd notice if she disappeared though, not attached to any of them enough to notice or to really care to be honest. And never forget this is an American company, which means there's absolutely no sentiment. If it was expedient for them to do so they'd chop her in an instant.

Julius
15-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm sure they would, but a lot of people would react negatively to it. I personally don't particularly care for any of them much but in a strange way I do regard them more highly than a silly soap actor or something like that. I'm not sure why though.

Chrissi
15-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes I heard her say that as well - the presenters must feel very unsettled by what is going on. Simon was on a roll yesterday winding up the presenters - loved it when he commented to JF when she said she liked/had something that he watches her on QVC and she always says that. Talk about awkward moment - JF looked embarrassed LOL. Simon then mused that she *had* to say that about the goods and she was saying it to keep him happy. It did make me laugh - I do like Simon even if I don't like a lot of his jewellery.

I saw that too. Brilliant moment! I love Simon to bits (used to love his jewellery too and have some beautiful pieces from about 10 years ago) and especially love it when he gets his wooden spoon out. He does like to stir things and it makes for great entertainment.

Spottybotty
17-08-2013, 12:02 PM
But we digress..... Where the heck are the missing presenters???

Julius
17-08-2013, 12:07 PM
They are doing gardening!
But we digress..... Where the heck are the missing presenters???

Spottybotty
17-08-2013, 05:42 PM
They are doing gardening!
Silly me, I forgot.!:sad:

Bea Frugal
17-08-2013, 06:02 PM
She certainly sees herself as the doyenne of QVC at any rate, what others see her as is a matter for conjecture. I doubt that I'd notice if she disappeared though, not attached to any of them enough to notice or to really care to be honest. And never forget this is an American company, which means there's absolutely no sentiment. If it was expedient for them to do so they'd chop her in an instant.

I find that when presenters and models disappear for ages I tend not to register it. It's only when they reappear that I remember they've been missing. Out of sight is generally out of mind.

lynnonthelake
17-08-2013, 06:04 PM
It would register with me if AY went missing I would be overjoyed.
Lynn

Julius
18-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Here is his beauty salon

http://villageofbeauty.com/about-us/

It's just down the road from me! I might go in there and see if I can find out some more!

:)

rubyrat
18-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Here is his beauty salon

http://villageofbeauty.com/about-us/

It's just down the road from me! I might go in there and see if I can find out some more!

:)

book yourself in for a treatment & find out what's going on Julius

May
18-08-2013, 03:57 PM

wouldnt that be great to see Julian in there...he seems very friendly ....i keep thinking Debbie might be found with a box of choccys on a floor with it smeared all over her face like that nun on an epiisode of Father Ted ....:mysmilie_5:

Julius
18-08-2013, 05:14 PM
They're probably doing gardening still. I'm actually going down that way now but they won't be open so I will pop in when I can. I wonder if he will be there?! I had thought his salon would be in Manchester. I didn't realise it was here in London!

bumblebee
18-08-2013, 08:10 PM
You should go and reprt back !!

ERICS MUM
18-08-2013, 11:17 PM

looking at the treatment menu, I notice they offer "semi-permananent" eyelashes that last 2 to 3 weeks. They are made from real mink !

ERICS MUM
18-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if DG has got a job with Thorntons or Lily O'Brien. She'll pop up as guest presenter for them in the run-up to Christmas.

I find this whole situation fascinating !

Jazzydrury
19-08-2013, 10:29 AM
On Sunday Simon B, told us that in November DIY on Sunday, would be having its 20th Anniversary, I hope there Anniversary show mentions its main presenter throughout those years, Julian B, done the majority of those shows.

No doubbts they will show clips of Harry Greene R.I.P. and Orlando, be interesting, if they show clips of Julian

miss molly
19-08-2013, 03:03 PM
On Sunday Simon B, told us that in November DIY on Sunday, would be having its 20th Anniversary, I hope there Anniversary show mentions its main presenter throughout those years, Julian B, done the majority of those shows.

No doubbts they will show clips of Harry Greene R.I.P. and Orlando, be interesting, if they show clips of Julian

I would not hold your breath.

Jazzydrury
20-08-2013, 09:57 AM
With Julian, ive been thinking, could QVC have maybe got rid of him, because he was a very niche presenter, some areas of the channel, like Jewellery, Beauty and Fashion. He hasnt presented for years, while at the same time, most of the other male presenters all have. Charlie B, seems to do more fashion, than the women sometimes, he even does the Fashion TSV launches.

Juilan, mainly did Household products, Kitchen priducts, DIY and Gardening. And i guess having hte likes of Chloe and Jackie, who im guessing are paid less, and are open to presenting a wider range of hours makes good business sense, especially if Sales are failing.

I bet a lot of the guests Juilan presented with are missing him. As he was genuinely mates with Richard Jackson, and he seemed very pally with the DIY guests

Also i liked the way Juilan would bring up past presenters and guests, I didnt no Harry Greene had died until Juilan said one day, that he had been to his funeral.

thatu
20-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Missing you Debs!

bumblebee
23-08-2013, 01:34 PM
So, if QVC are now 5 presenters short, including Pipa, will we see new presenters? Or will the existing ones have to work more hours?

loveheart
23-08-2013, 01:58 PM
So, if QVC are now 5 presenters short, including Pipa, will we see new presenters? Or will the existing ones have to work more hours?

I should think it will be the presenters they have got doing more hours. Debbie Flint is always there when ever I turn QVC on. Craig seems to have been given more shifts and Chloe.

MrMarple
23-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah I agree, whenever I switch on, it's seems to be either Jill F, Grinning Idiot or Del Boy (Debbie F).

I haven't seem Dawbags, Dale, Jilly or Ali K for ages.

Sazza
23-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Well if they have let go of four presenters then employing more wouldn't make them look good............but then again they don't seem to care about how they look do they?

Yeah I agree, whenever I switch on, it's seems to be either Jill F, Grinning Idiot or Del Boy (Debbie F).

I haven't seem Dawbags, Dale, Jilly or Ali K for ages.

Ali K is recovering from surgery.

louise66
23-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Bumblebee, don't give the producers any ideas - Franksy is on often enough.

rainbowdottie
23-08-2013, 10:51 PM

well i do have to say i saw simon b doing a show the other day and i hardly ever see him - and i remember thinking thats a weird show for him to be doing....was it fashion??? - and i did think then are they making more use of exsisting presenters....

Boris Bear
24-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Somebody has posted on the Q Facebook page that one of the guests is covering for Pipa whilst she has her "sabbatical". It seems odd to let presenters go then get people in specifically to cover, and if they have enough resources to cover four leavers why do they need an extra presenter to cover for Pipa? The FB poster didn't say where the info was from, has someone said something on air?

lynnonthelake
24-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Please God it's not Natalia.
Lynn