Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw back earrings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Screw back earrings

I don't often shop with TJC, but I recently bought two pairs of absolutely beautiful 9k white gold diamond earrings from them. They have screw backs, which I like in many ways because they are secure and make the earrings fit snugly; but unfortunately I've found that the screw thread scratches my piercing holes when insert them, and makes my ears a bit sore.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so did you find a solution? I'm thinking of wearing some earrings with slightly thicker posts the day before, to stretch the holes a bit. (You'd think that after 30+ years of wearring earrings every day they'd have stretched anyway, but obviously not!)

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wear them at all. They gave me painful lumps all around the back of my ears, I couldn't even lie on them. The doctor had to give me antibiotics and told me I was allergic to platinum lol, didn't want to argue, it was later a jeweller told me it was the screws.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am determined to persist! If the worst comes to the worst I could just file down the screw threads and put ordinary backs on, but that would be a pity.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

My earrings are Iliana 0.50ct platinum studs. I've had them a good few years. My intention was to put them in and never take them out but that lasted a week. I would be worried if they weren't screwed on.
    If you find a solution let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand is the part of the post that stays in my ear is at the top where there is no screw, so its smooth and as I leave them in why do they infect my ears with lots of pea size painful lumps? I don't pull them in and out so once they are in the screw doesn't even touch my ear.
    Its bugging me know as I'd love to wear them.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

I have posted this before but I had this problem a while back with a pair of Iliana snowflake earings. I couldn't wait to wear them but the first time I found it quite a job to get them through my ear and then couldn't take them off. After a real struggle trying to screw them out, I had to grit my teeth and yank, which wasn't very pleasant.

I had no problem when I complained to TJC and they replaced the posts with normal ones, nice and long so I feel confident I won't lose them.

I had previously bought a pair of studs with screw fittings and these give me no problem at all.

I've had a few pairs of earrings from TJC where the posts have been either too thick to wear or painful to wear. I have to say that where this has been the case I've never had a problem with returning them. I have either had a refund or they have resolved the problem.

I've tried wearing heavier earrings for a while hoping it would stretch the holes a bit, but it doesn't work I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't like them because with long nails they are too bloody fiddly. I did buy a pair of platinum studs from TJC a few years back and the lovely Miles arranged to have them converted to ordinary post and butterfly fittings at a very reasonable cost. He was a real sweetie and I often wonder how he is.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - it's very useful to know that, if the screws continue to drive me crazy, I can get TJC to change the posts.

What's really puzzling me is that I have another pair of earrings with screw-back posts, vermeil garnet earrings that I bought in Prague, and I've never had any problem with them! Maybe the posts are thinner or something; I'll have the check.

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have found the solution: Vaseline! I'll try wearing them for a day and then report back...

Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! Yes let us know how it goes.