shame on you, people who hate basso and yet eat meat and wear leather

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The subject matter isn't what is boring ben fong torres, in fact it is highly emotive as is clear by your post, you missed my point completely. What I meant is how we are now all enraged into having this argument when the person who posted is sitting back rubbing their hands together at having caused trouble !

I don't believe that is Burlybear's M.O in this case at all,I've seen I've seen enough of his posts to know when he's just being an annoying gaylord bi*tch to when he's actually making a valid point,to which he's entitled.

Burlybear's point is one that is always worth thinking about - on the basis that the animal farming industry can leave a lot to be desired. Battery farmed, intensively reared animals should also have no place in a humane and caring society. But the demand for cheap food continues. How can you justify a £1.99 chicken - what kind if life must it have had?

But there is publicity about this kind of practice and there is public awareness.

The issue for me with Dennis Basso is that many people do not know what they are supporting when they purchase faux fur from him. Long may Shopping Telly provide this information so people can make an informed choice. Just in the same way that long may we get information about the way the animal you eat has been reared and slaughtered so you choose what you put on your table.

Information and choice - that is what is important here

Burlybear's point is one that is always worth thinking about - on the basis that the animal farming industry can leave a lot to be desired. Battery farmed, intensively reared animals should also have no place in a humane and caring society. But the demand for cheap food continues. How can you justify a £1.99 chicken - what kind if life must it have had?

But there is publicity about this kind of practice and there is public awareness.

The issue for me with Dennis Basso is that many people do not know what they are supporting when they purchase faux fur from him. Long may Shopping Telly provide this information so people can make an informed choice. Just in the same way that long may we get information about the way the animal you eat has been reared and slaughtered so you choose what you put on your table.

Now,if 99% of the brigade could make their case as rationally as that,you wouldn't hear a peep from me!

:mysmilie_687: you kinda said what i wanted to but i got mine out wrong :mysmilie_81: information and choice

shame on you, people who hate basso and yet eat meat and wear leather

your hypocrisy knows no limits.

go visit an abbattoir - where your dinner is being prepared - then come back and tell me the difference.

I think it's pretty obvious you've never visited one yourself as I can categorically assure you there is actually a world of difference between what goes on in an official, licensed abattoir & the cruelty / animal abuse of the fur trade!

Animals in abattoirs are treated humanely & compassionately & any slaughterman / worker caught being rough with them (a bit free with a cattle prod or whatever!) is liable to find himself wiping the blood off his broken nose round the back of the lorries, having been duffed up on a fairly serious level!
On a more practical level, stressed animals equal tough meat, so every effort is made to keep things calm, quiet & fear free - the lairage is not within sight or sound of the slaughter room, animals are provided with bedding etc. & there are frequent veterinary checks at every stage, from arrival through to slaughter!

I know & have met many people who have worked in & around abattoirs over the years, including vets, meat inspectors etc.. all are animal lovers, none have been stressed by the 'horrors' of their jobs (except for the ever-increasing amount of paperwork!) & most vets would find the suffering & neglect inflicted on 'loved pets' (the horrendously overweight, the ones left hanging on past their ideal lifespan because the owners cannot bear to 'let go') considerably more upsetting & stressful than the everyday workings of an abattoir!!

On a personal level, I do eat meat, with the exception of veal & halal meat, the former because I don't agree with the farming practices & the second as I don't like the slaughter practices as the competence & humanity aspect frequently leaves a lot to be desired!
I will probably not post on this thread again but the 'cruel abattoir' argument is old hat & kinda irritating & anybody who has actually been inside a well run, heavily regulated one would not be comparing them to the wanton cruelty & horrors of the fur trade!

No slaughterman likes having to slaughter unwanted horses, pregnant ewes, poor lame pigs etc., all the product of poor farming practices, poor care etc. but in the main they do their best to ensure that all the animals that come into their care meet their end as humanely as possible & they can then say they've done a good job, which is a darn site more than some lazy git in an office spending most of their working day on Youtube & emailing their pals could!
They are not all psychotic animal abusers (there just aren't enough to go round for a start!) & nobody could work long term in such an environment anyway! There will always be places that aren't so well run but in the main, I would be waving my 'hate banner' at quite a few farmers before I turned my attention to the abattoirs of the UK!

I think it's pretty obvious you've never visited one yourself as I can categorically assure you there is actually a world of difference between what goes on in an official, licensed abattoir & the cruelty / animal abuse of the fur trade!

Animals in abattoirs are treated humanely & compassionately & any slaughterman / worker caught being rough with them (a bit free with a cattle prod or whatever!) is liable to find himself wiping the blood off his broken nose round the back of the lorries, having been duffed up on a fairly serious level!
On a more practical level, stressed animals equal tough meat, so every effort is made to keep things calm, quiet & fear free - the lairage is not within sight or sound of the slaughter room, animals are provided with bedding etc. & there are frequent veterinary checks at every stage, from arrival through to slaughter!

I know & have met many people who have worked in & around abattoirs over the years, including vets, meat inspectors etc.. all are animal lovers, none have been stressed by the 'horrors' of their jobs (except for the ever-increasing amount of paperwork!) & most vets would find the suffering & neglect inflicted on 'loved pets' (the horrendously overweight, the ones left hanging on past their ideal lifespan because the owners cannot bear to 'let go') considerably more upsetting & stressful than the everyday workings of an abattoir!!

On a personal level, I do eat meat, with the exception of veal & halal meat, the former because I don't agree with the farming practices & the second as I don't like the slaughter practices as the competence & humanity aspect frequently leaves a lot to be desired!
I will probably not post on this thread again but the 'cruel abattoir' argument is old hat & kinda irritating & anybody who has actually been inside a well run, heavily regulated one would not be comparing them to the wanton cruelty & horrors of the fur trade!

No slaughterman likes having to slaughter unwanted horses, pregnant ewes, poor lame pigs etc., all the product of poor farming practices, poor care etc. but in the main they do their best to ensure that all the animals that come into their care meet their end as humanely as possible & they can then say they've done a good job, which is a darn site more than some lazy git in an office spending most of their working day on Youtube & emailing their pals could!
They are not all psychotic animal abusers (there just aren't enough to go round for a start!) & nobody could work long term in such an environment anyway! There will always be places that aren't so well run but in the main, I would be waving my 'hate banner' at quite a few farmers before I turned my attention to the abattoirs of the UK!

Yep,abattoir's in the UK are the very essence of serenity and humane practices,as evidenced by this....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-humane-slaughterhouse-make-think-again.html

And this is one of the ORGANIC ones!.....and merely the tip of the iceberg I'm quite sure.

Yep,abattoir's in the UK are the very essence of serenity and humane practices,as evidenced by this....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-humane-slaughterhouse-make-think-again.html

And this is one of the ORGANIC ones!.....and merely the tip of the iceberg I'm quite sure.

I am sitting here weeping with anger and outrage and horror. Not least because for many years we have not eaten much meat because what we have has been expensive organic meat.

I know journalism can be sensationalist and out to shock, but assuming that report is true and accurate I am truly horrified and truly grateful to those who uncovered it. I am also a blithering coward as I can't watch the video clips. I hope that this is not representational of the organic industry and I hope that prosecution follows for those identified for extreme and sadistic cruelty.

I have friends who rear their own animals and it is something I wish I could do, except I don't think I could eat anything I have spoken to! Perhaps I have rested too much on my laurels by thinking that an organic label (and price) gave me an assurance that salved my conscience.

I will look again

I am sitting here weeping with anger and outrage and horror. Not least because for many years we have not eaten much meat because what we have has been expensive organic meat.

I know journalism can be sensationalist and out to shock, but assuming that report is true and accurate I am truly horrified and truly grateful to those who uncovered it. I am also a blithering coward as I can't watch the video clips. I hope that this is not representational of the organic industry and I hope that prosecution follows for those identified for extreme and sadistic cruelty.

I have friends who rear their own animals and it is something I wish I could do, except I don't think I could eat anything I have spoken to! Perhaps I have rested too much on my laurels by thinking that an organic label (and price) gave me an assurance that salved my conscience.

I will look again

Yes,it is true.And the part of the article which got me(amongst many other things)is the fact that vets and Meat Health Inspectors are being intimidated by abattoir staff all over the UK,so even though there are measures in place to protect animals,unless you have them CCTV monitored 24/7, all manner of cruel things can and will happen to these animals when noone is looking.

As for rearing your own,well I'm the opposite of you,if I did eat meat I would be more inclined to eat one I raised myself coz at least I could thank it for it's sacrifice and it would no doubt taste a whole lot better not having lived a life of pure terror and trauma.

Very good post KWC!!!

It has to be said that bad practice can take place in all businesses and anyone can point to such things to suit an agenda.Abbatoirs and slaughterhouses are businesses and it does not make good business sense to be cruel to the animals...it is a meat factory where efficiency is the order of the day.If the workers are just there to mess about and be cruel to the animals then I doubt that the abbatoir will be in business for very long!!

My sister is a passionate animal lover and is forever alerting me to the horrible practices of the meat industry:mysmilie_81:
I think that one of the saddest things is the massive trade in ducks for the table and none of them have ever had the pleasure of being near, let alone swimming on, water. It's what their little bodies were designed for. I always find that so sad:mysmilie_73:

Sorry, I won't be made to feel guilty for enjoying a steak buttie or a nice sunday roast. I am a human. My physical make up and evolution is to be a meat eater. I also won't be made to feel bad for taking medicine. What would you prefer, that I refuse it and die??? Not bloomin likely!!! I am no martyr!!

IMO there are bigger and better things to get excited over....like children being abused and killed by their relatives, like people killing themselves just because no one will listen to them, like all the people of this country who have lost a member of their family - a brave hero - in a war that our amazing boys and girls should never have been sent to in the first place. All problems that occur on your street, on your estate, in your town. Maybe we should take care of each other and once we have that hacked, look at other stuff.

....just my opinion. I don't doubt that there are a million and one people who disagree with it, and I respect that. Just don't try and guilt me into changine mine as it ain't gonna happen!

Sorry, I won't be made to feel guilty for enjoying a steak buttie or a nice sunday roast. I am a human. My physical make up and evolution is to be a meat eater. I also won't be made to feel bad for taking medicine. What would you prefer, that I refuse it and die??? Not bloomin likely!!! I am no martyr!!

IMO there are bigger and better things to get excited over....like children being abused and killed by their relatives, like people killing themselves just because no one will listen to them, like all the people of this country who have lost a member of their family - a brave hero - in a war that our amazing boys and girls should never have been sent to in the first place. All problems that occur on your street, on your estate, in your town. Maybe we should take care of each other and once we have that hacked, look at other stuff.

....just my opinion. I don't doubt that there are a million and one people who disagree with it, and I respect that. Just don't try and guilt me into changine mine as it ain't gonna happen!

As always on here - every persons opinion is as valid as each others. My point is that where does it say that I can't care about all these issues. What I put at the top of my list of what I want to care about is as personal as what you put on the top of yours. But I have a big list and given the way the human race can behave, I doubt that it will get shorter sadly.

And don't get me wrong I adore the taste of meat (ooh-er missus) I also would like to support ethical, caring farmers and the industry which is why I always buy organic meat, eggs and milk - and pay more for it. Not because it tastes better but because I try to assure what I eat. And we ain't rich either. We probably have meat about 3 times a week. We eat soya mince, beans and quorn a lot and fish (also try to be ethical about that too).

....just my opinion. I don't doubt that there are a million and one people who disagree with it, and I respect that. Just don't try and guilt me into changing mine as it ain't gonna happen!

:mysmilie_698: Go PR! Go PR!

great post PrincessRacer!

Sometimes the guilt trips and intimidation on this site are worse than when i lived with my mother fgs! As someone else posted 'inform and educate' then let people make their own choices. Then if they still dont do what you want them to do realise that it maybe your style of informing and educating that is at fault not the people themselves. Carrot and stick?

Anyway its obvious that QVC have had carp TVS's for a while if we have to revisit this old acorn again.

I wonder what happens to the mollusks in pearl farming once they have been engineered to produce the cultured pearl?

Whether we eat meat or not is irrelevant in relation to Butcher Basso and his vile trade which is all about making him richer and the rich bitches who wear his fur products even more vain and shallow than they already are. :mad: Unfortunately with all these peripheral discussions going on this thread is now veering away from the true horror of what this disgusting man does for a living, so the sooner Graham can get his banner on the site the better, and a huge campaign on FB which is global would be even better still.

Naive Post Alert

What if we all bought a spiffy macintosh or faux fuzzy coat from the big ol Basso to promote his nonfur business? I can't see that making other forum-members feel uncomfortable about buying from the range or criticising presenter for appearing with his non-fur line has any impact on the Basso business empire.

If I were a vegetarian or vegan it'd be like my boycotting Tesco carrots because they also sell meat and dairy.

All credit to anyone who has contacted QVC directly to register their opinions about Basso's involvement in the fur trade.

Hypothetically, if Basso were to desist and denounce his involvement in the fur trade to concentrate on his fabric lines, would that be enough to redeem him and his products on QVC? Or is he damned for all time?

Jude xx

i think you will find pinkpussycat that this thread was not about how dreadful dennis basso is but about how dreadful we are. please stick to the matter at hand lol

I don't believe anyone is trying to make feel you guilty.By all means,enjoy your steak,enjoy your roast's.
By the same token those meat-eaters who wish to bleat incessantly about what a vile scum-bag Basso is,they should also let people enjoy their fur or faux or at least take OWNERSHIP of the hypocrisy.

How many years now have you all been banging on about how this man is Lucifer,the devil incarnate and everything that is wrong with planet earth??What have you accomplished?Yes,you've made some who weren't aware of his trade aware but for every 100 customers you've lost him I'm sure he's scored a 1000 more.
If you are truly committed to wiping him off the face of the earth,how about a group of you go down to QVC towers with banners every time he's on,flood them with angry T-calls(there are ways to get through the screening process if you're clever) and texts messages,write letters and e-mails every week,alert the media,because you're only preaching to the choir here.

By the way,I have two Dennis Basso coats and I bought them with the full knowledge that he is in the real fur trade.And let me tell you they are the warmest things this side of creation,even compared to some other garments I have from companies like NorthFace,which are made for actual artic expeditions!!,I have suffered winters in North America which have rendered me mute,NOTHING has ever kept me as warm as one of his coats.

So I would recommend.

Well I'm off to bed now,would be nice if this thread wasn't locked by the time I woke-up,be refreshing just to have some adult discourse on this subject without being shot down.

Here's living in hope....

If not not,bye-bye and see you in a different thread.:)

Whether we eat meat or not is irrelevant in relation to Butcher Basso and his vile trade which is all about making him richer and the rich bitches who wear his fur products even more vain and shallow than they already are. :mad: Unfortunately with all these peripheral discussions going on this thread is now veering away from the true horror of what this disgusting man does for a living, so the sooner Graham can get his banner on the site the better, and a huge campaign on FB which is global would be even better still.
Well you already have a thread about that,this is the flip side of the argument,is noone allowed that here?

Anyway,yes I'd like to see that banner up also,it could read something like this "BAN BOYCOTT&BE-HEAD BUTCHER BASSO!",at least it would be something substantial instead of all this hot air.

Latest posts

Back