The Down Memory Lane thread...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Dad in his younger days said the only woman who looked ok in trousers and heels was Connie Stevens (Cricket Blake in Hawaiian Eye) - I would now wear heels (boots) with trousers or jeans, but not back then..it just wasn't done somehow!

The tin bath
Outside loo
The pantry
Rose Hip syrup
Ginger ale fermenting in a bottle that had metal clips to hold the stopper in!
Gran's Victoria sponge 5 minutes out of oven
The excitement of the once a year chicken at Christmas
Being lifted to light the Christmas tree candles in church
The sugar mouse in the bottom of your stocking
Silver sixpences and thrupenny bits
No presents till after the Queens speech.
Getting a bathroom - I was 12!

Hula hoop - 1st time round!
Radio Caroline
White patent knee-length boots
Pork Pie hats
Plastic popper beads
Gene Pitney
Coffee bars
Gin and Orange
An emerald green drop waist lurex dress!
Rolls twin tub washing machine
Mini vans

My first job for £4.50 a week
A pound bought 4 gallons of petrol
My first house in the 80's £30.000

The Typing Pool
Personnel
Supplies
Finance
Training

I've no idea what they're being called currently, it was something else last year and will be something else next year, I've given up along with everyone else trying to figure out who does what these days. You know, they actually pay people at high levels to keep thinking up new cr*p department names every few months?

Loads of other stuff…..

Being young enough not to be anyones mum!

Great thread Carol - I remember the patterned stockings, loved them.

I remember the twin tub washing machine my Mum's wasn't a Rolls I think there was a cheaper one which she had. Can't remember the make for the moment. My first wage was £3.10s. 0d and that was outer London rates.

I had a pair of shiny stretch red boots and absolutely loved them lol.

I also remember going to the butchers to buy the Sunday joint for my Mum it was always 10s. 0d worth of either beef, pork or lamb (there was always enough for cold on Monday which I hated but loved the bubble and squeek we had with it lol). We only had chicken as a treat occasionally as it was very expensive compared to the other meats. A lot different now.

Happy days eh..! My first job was something like £4/2/6 (goodness I've forgotten how to write in £sd! I paid my board, then after a few weeks I'd decide to "tip up" (hand over the whole wage) then I'd change back again..! I loved being able (at last!) to go into C & A to buy my own clothes, on my own, nobody to say "no"!

I had a red PVC mac and thought I looked like the bees knees till a "friend" (?!) said I looked like one of the Gnomes of Dulwich (tv prog of the time) - I was terribly insulted!

My Dad worked for Rolls..when I first got married I had an old secondhand Hoover washer with an agitator on the side, which gaily ripped our clothes to shreds! When we could afford it we had a lovely Servis twin tub with proper lid - no worktops as such in those days! My kitchen was about 8' x 10' and I loved it!

Muffin the Mule and Bill & Ben.

Buying mixed broken biscuits from Woolworth's every Friday.

Going potato picking with Mum and sitting on hay bales to eat our home made butties, holding them in waxed bread wrappers as our hands were grubby! No facilities to clean our hands in the middle of fields but I loved those days.

All the posts have reminded me of such happy days and brought back some fantastic memories so big thanks to everyone.

Was it Dee Minor Barbs? Just came to me!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, not that Capirossi, maybe it was one just from Northn Ireland, not sure. Can i ask what you avator is, i must
need new glasses, LOL

From my younger days I especially remember (in no particular order so a few years range here!):

Saturday morning pictures
Clackers (frequently at above event!)
Dolly Darlings
Malt extract (my sis got a tablespoon a day, I was considered less weedy & didn't, unless I whinged so much they gave me some to shut me up! lol)
The local disco (visited my sis a few months back & barely recognised the building, it seemed so small & well, seedy! lol)
Hotpants
Chloe & Anais Anais perfumes
'Smash' potato (& the irritatingly catchy adverts for it with those ruddy aliens!)
Bri-nylon bedding (my sis actually found our old bedding in a trunk, mine was poo brown with hideous circles & hers was electic blue with an equally vile pattern on, ugh, I still shudder at the thought of both the pattern & the feel of it!)
Playing 'ball on the wall' for hours on end
Donna Summer (RIP Donna! x)
Radio Caroline
Platforms
Teapots & tea-cosies (usually at least 3 of the latter per teapot) & tablecloths (again, at least 3, a felt one, a wool sort of thing & a posher one over the top at mealtimes)
Stodgy puddings on a regular basis, e.g. jam roly poly, spotted dick....suet, suet & more suet basically! lol
Listening to the 'top 30/40', religiously, every week, who does that nowadays?
Buying those crispy ends from the chip shop, in a bag, calorific value off the scale I imagine!
Coffee Matchmakers (why did they stop making those?)
Those little metal/enamel badges you could buy from the local shop/P.O. etc. quite cheaply, little Scottie dogs & things
Wade Whimsies
Getting those Lindt choccy bunnies/puppies/chicks etc. at Easter (sliding box of 5 or 6 choccies)
Christmas stockings which were opened in bed!

Blimey, that's quite a list actually! LOL

Cod liver oil - bleurgh!
Free school milk
Free orange juice
Nit nurses
Armbands to wear when you'd had a vaccination
Awful gas mask thing over your mouth at the dentists
One year when the clocks didn't change in the winter and we went to school in what seemed like the dead of night
The Thames freezing over 50 years ago
Fog horns
Mini skirts, midi skirts, maxi skirts
Military style double breasted coats
Dr Zhivago style fur hats
VO5 hairspray to hold your backcombed hair in place
Hairdryers with a plastic hood and a handy carrying handle!
Mason Pearson hairbrushes
Shiny peel-off eyeliner
Duffel coats
Regulation swimming costumes
Swimming caps

Pippa Dee was the adult range and Dee Minor was for children.
I was an apprentice hairdresser and used to get £1-11 shillings,equivalent to £1-55p.I gave my mum what would now be 75p and I had 80p.How we used to manage I don't know,but we did,and I think that's why the older generation are generally better with their money,because we had so little.

Crisps, biscuits were a treat
Sweets on a Thursday only (payday)
Liberty bodices
Cross country races, whatever the weather!
Outdoor swimming pool (High Beech, Epping Forest) - no heating whatsoever, outside changing rooms
If your parents had a car you must be rich
During summer holidays out playing ALL day - went back home at tea time
Swapping beads
Hopscotch
Skipping ropes

Carefree days for kids.

Proper sweet shops where they`d weigh out 2d worth of sweets and they`d have rows of jars to choose from.
Mum`s big flowery wrap around aprons with pockets at the front.
Dad`s braces he wore every single day.
Coal fires you could make proper toast on.
Knickers with elastic threaded through the waistband.
Ladybird plastic sunny sandals from Woolworth.
Goose grease rubbed on our chests if we ever had a cough or cold.
Corner shops instead of supermarkets.
Chips cooked in a wire basket in a chip pan and in beef dripping.
A leather school satchel which lasted the whole of your school days.

We`ve all waxed lyrical about things from the past but there are many things I DON`T miss.
Outside toilets and you had to take a torch with you at night and it was freezing cold.
Izal toilet roll, skiddy stuff ...
Candlewick bedspreads which made me cough cos they moulted.
Lino on the floors meant walking around in bare feet impossibly cold.
Trying to wash and dry terry nappies in the Winter.
Cold bedrooms because central heating didn`t exist in my parents house.
No bathroom either until I was about 9.
Teachers being allowed to smack you.
People smoking everywhere, in the cinema, on buses, in the workplace, even in hospitals.
The Nit Nurse ( speaks for itself )
The males being paid 2/6d per week more than me for doing the same job.
No such thing as an epidural when having a baby.
My Mum making us girls help with the housework etc when the boys got away with doing nothing around the house, her view was it was a woman`s place and men went out to work to earn the money grrrrrrr. I worked too !
Bosses being allowed to sack people on a whim.
The 3 day working week, the miners strike and power cuts.
Always having to wear my sister`s castoffs.

Oh dear, there's rather a lot of us of a similar age isn't there?, we must seem positively Victorian to younger members - "What fun!!"

My early 70's Kiln Craft Bacchus design dinner, dessert, tea plates from Timothy Whites are still in daily use. I do have posh stuff for when guests come :rock:

Woolworths use to sell hot peanut and cashews years ago - they were a real treat! :tongue:

My sister remembers the war!!!

Hopscotch..yes!
Snobs
Whips & Tops (window breakers, carrots, and a box of coloured chalks!)
Battledore & Shuttlecock
Two-ball (or three ball if you were dextrous enough - I wasn't!)
Marbles

The Groves/The Appleyards tv progs (late 50s)

I still fry my chips the old fashioned way Vienna - can't beat it! And just the other day OH & I were talking about toast done on a toasting fork by a lovely coal fire - mum used to do him a whole pack of pikelets that way when he visited..whether he wanted them or not! His mum got her own back with me with lemon curd tarts - you only have to make the mistake of once saying you like something!

My "don't miss" is much the same as Vienna's too, specially outside loos, lack of central heating - ice on the inside of the bedroom window! Elf'n'safety would have a fit these days but Dad used to leave my sister and I a hurricane lamp lit in the bedroom those cold nights!

Re Washing machines, I got married in 1976, aged 16 (baby Yorko was on the way) and we had an old second hand twin tub that was a total bag of shite. A couple of months later we got an automatic machine and the first night we used it me and hubby sat and watched it go through the whole cycle facinated. Even tiny Yorko was mesmerised in his little bouncy chair - happy days

Ah 1976, now that was a year to remember - all that lovely sunshine and barmy summer evenings for months!

Three of us use to come off nights and head straight for the beach where we use to swim and sleep, it was wonderful - too hot to sleep during the day in bed!

Latest posts

Back