QVC as a drug for both presenter and viewer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

tristar

Guest Shopper
I pose this delicate question. I watch Jill Franks hyper mode last night, Alin Keenan hyper also. its like shopping tv is a drug, for the presenter an 'upper' where everything is manic, yet for me, anyway as a viewer its the opposite a 'downer, often where I would say, use a tranquilliser, I watch tv, it calms and soothes, its a constant, a reassuarance, a crutch, yet the presenters seem to be in a whirlwind, dizzy with the queues and overwhelmed with the value!!

I can't help be fascinated at how fast AK speaks. JF speaks too quickly also but is out paced by AK. I get out of breathe just listening to her. I can only listen for a minute or so and have to switch it on mute if there is something I want to see but mostly I switch off and catch up on line later as to what products were being flogged. They both interrupt people, when a guest manages to get a word in they rant over them.

The presenters are there to sell... they aren't there to soothe and comfort the customer... they are there to create an atmosphere of excitement and urgency... so that we all panic buy.

Tristar, I do think sometimes that you are expecting too much of QVC - it is ONLY a shopping channel.

QVC a drug??????

I doubt it.

Less people watch TV than years ago.

There was a behind the scenes documentary some years back showing QVC in action. The producers are shouting in the presenter's ears telling them what is selling how much money spent. So of course they will be going like the clappers trying to push people to buy more.

Tristar if you doctor has prescribed you tranquillisers, I would suggest you take them. Do not think QVC or any TV show is the answer to you problems. QVC is just a shop on your TV, the presenters are sales assistances. They are not your friends, they do not care about you or want to know you. They are a business nothing more.

Of course they're hyper they want to shift the stock. Every single word that comes out of their mouth is designed to make you buy. They don't give a s*** about anything but sales.

i'm not convinced it is just to make it sell. i think some of them really really love talking about themselves.

sad but after a gruelling family argument or just a low scary day, qvc is there, on tap. escape to the place where money is no object and every presenter is talking to you, yes you, as they views you as a cutsomer often I am, but then sometimes like today, Iv had heavy, heavy converstaions and its nice and inoffensive to put qvc on, Sonolence comes over me, I think. It soothes, I feel everything alright as long as Im willing to spend a bit more. I just wonder if in the chaotic world of live television sales, the presenters get caught up in thr relentless fevour, the relentless drive for sales. How do they 'come down' at home, do they talk incessant or are they struck dumb after talking non-stop. In that case they are almost in a state of somnolence thmselves then. and it goes on tommorros, sales to be met, targets, and it 0-1-50m in 20 seconds of 5 4 3 2 1 air.

They go home ,shut the door and get on with their lives i would imagine.

they're not all frenetic though are they? charlie and dale are slow motion and presumably still get adequate sales.

tristar - can you not derive comfort from just relaxing and watching with a cuppa without buying?

Tristar, I suggest to go for SpongeBob etc if you want harmless relaxing viewing.

QVC these days is just a load of boring rubbish. It does not relax merely bores, hence my not actually watching. I used to have it on in the background long ago, now it just annoys me.

I should imagine the presenters don`t care about anything except their sales figures and pay packets. It`s just a job and an ego trip for them. Having their face on telly, adoration from misguided viewers and being able to talk about themselves as well as the products. It seems to suit people with narcissic tendencies and the gift of the gab, the type of person you`d avoid like the plague at the school gates or in the works canteen. They love to present the image of having the perfect house, with the perfect family in a perfect life but in reality I bet that`s far from true.

But... if they did admit to being less than perfect, say, with spots or cellulite then we'd all grumble that QVC products couldn't be all that.

Just a few days ago people were commenting on Julia's eyes and saying how the products can't be that good if she is anything to go by.

Anyway, when I've had personal problems in my distant past I didn't tell people at work - I kept my personal stuff, well, personal. People only got to know about the problem when I moved house and divorced... until that point, everything looked perfect to the casual observer.

The presenters are at work so why should they share all of the crappy stuff in their lives - maybe they like the escapism of chatting to strangers they will probably never meet... remember, they are there to present whatever image will sell the product.

The presenters are acting. All of them. They'll have been told what to say and told to add their own bits of fluff to it. It's TV, not real.

i agree with tristar i always have qvc on in the background or the radio makes the house feel less quiet somehow!

i'm not convinced it is just to make it sell. i think some of them really really love talking about themselves.
Yes theyre all pretty pleased with themselves arent they. Their blogs remind me of those boastful round robin xmas letters that tedious aunties and uncles send every year- worth reading just for a giggle. Catherine, Debbie F and Dawn Bibby were forover gushing about their wonderful fellas until it all went bellyup.

i agree with tristar i always have qvc on in the background or the radio makes the house feel less quiet somehow!

Its one thing having it on in the background,which i also do sometimes , and another substituting it for real life. Q is a shop it just. happens to be on the tv. The presenters care about the viewers as much as the sales assistant in Debenhams does .Not a jot.
Q can't be blamed for viewers taking it for anything else than it is.

Can't see the point of Sat Night with Dale showing behind the scenes and next show wares sitting on a trolley ready to trawl out. Very glam and cosy!

Can't see the point of Sat Night with Dale showing behind the scenes and next show wares sitting on a trolley ready to trawl out. Very glam and cosy!

All contrived to make the viewers feel part of the family and special, "in" on the behind the scenes goings on.

Slightly off topic but still shopping related , they had the MD of John lewis on sky news earlier saying there sales are up from this time last year , but what I do find bizarre is people going into the John Lewis store looking at things to buy .. then going home & ordering them online. why not buy in store .. makes no sense to me to pay petrol, parking fees or bus or train fare

I know sometimes they do offers online that are cheaper than in store . but what a ball ache , its like going to Tesco . looking at carrots & then tapping the app .. mental if you ask me..lol

I looked online last week at a camera.. so i went into the local store & although the offer wasn't in store i still got it for the online price & no P&P .. if they hadn't accommodated me in jess ops store.. I wouldn't have ordered from then online later.. would have brought from elsewhere

Latest posts

Back