Dualit toaster

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ve got two power points fairly near the kitchen sink but that’s because the previous owners altered the kitchen round. One of the power points has the oven plugged into it (although I haven’t used the oven for nearly two years) and in the other one I have a plug in air freshener which I never switch on. I may well get some of the child safety plugs that fit flush into the power point and will bin the air freshener as it’s been there for 14 years.

I’ve also got a pull cord in the downstairs cloakroom, so I’m guessing it might be to do with using a switch with wet hands because I’ve yet to create steam in the toilet 😂 despite what Google says. Obviously I do have a pull cord in the bathroom.

When I say perfectly, I mean I hover over it, press the Cancel button every few seconds, turn the bread so many times it gets dizzy then butter it when it hits that perfect toast colour (for me).
That's what I have to do, including upside down, back to front, inside out, and even in the other slot to try and get evenly brown toast.

But I then shake it all about to cool it as I like my butter on it when cool, together with marmalade, otherwise the butter just disappears into the toast.

QUESTION - -

Does anyone have any tips for making (1) French toast (2) fried bread ? My attempts have not been successful.

And on a slightly different topic, there was a TV programme about air-fryers today (Ch5 @ 2100) with lots of recipes and cooking everything in it eg curry, chilli, etc, I think they even cooked TOAST!

I bought a Russell Hobbs toaster in black (all my kitchen gadgets are black) when I moved here. It cost me £16. After 14 years it’s still going strong. I personally couldn’t justify spending the price that Dualit charges for theirs when mine does everything that I need it to do. I can adjust the heat setting and toast crumpets in it too if I buy them. It only does two slices at a time but that’s the most I would eat anyway.
I had a Morphy Richards toaster for about the same price for years and years, too, but when it packed up I bought the Dualit because none of the cheaper toasters I saw (all about the £40 mark now) did just two slices. Maybe some do but I didn't find any. No issues, I'm happy and it looks good, too.

That's what I have to do, including upside down, back to front, inside out, and even in the other slot to try and get evenly brown toast.

But I then shake it all about to cool it as I like my butter on it when cool, together with marmalade, otherwise the butter just disappears into the toast.

QUESTION - -

Does anyone have any tips for making (1) French toast (2) fried bread ? My attempts have not been successful.

And on a slightly different topic, there was a TV programme about air-fryers today (Ch5 @ 2100) with lots of recipes and cooking everything in it eg curry, chilli, etc, I think they even cooked TOAST!
I'm so with you. I move the toast around to get it evenly toasted, although I don't like it very well done, and then I shake it around as I like the butter and marmalade mixed on the toast and not melted in - making me very hungry now. Fried bread is very hit and miss, I do it in the pan after I've cooked other parts of breakfast but never got it really really good. My sister fries it on it's own in oil and the couple of times I've had it it's been lovely. I've never had French toast, I keep seeing recipes and thinking it looks great so I might have to give it a try.
I meant to watch the air fryer programme last night but forgot so will have to see if I can find it on catch up thingy as I do cook almost everything we eat in mine.

I have never yet found a toaster that will take a full size slice of bread the "correct" way around.

That is, with the long side down. So you have to put it with the short side down, then about a third of the bread sticks out of the top, so it doesn't toast.

So I have to keep turning it upside down many time to get the whole slice toasted all over.

I've tried many toasters, from the cheapest to very expensive, they've all been the same.

What is the point of a toaster that won't take a slice from a standard supermarket large sliced loaf?
What seems daft to me is that the bathrooms have pull switches operated by string, and yet these switches are well out of reach of anything wet such as the sink.

On the other hand, I have power sockets in the kitchen that are only 1 foot from the kitchen sink!
My bathroom cords were removed when we had the bathroom done. I've got two illuminated switches outside. I hate the pull switches.
I've just looked and there are no sockets near the sink in the kitchen.

QUESTION - -

Hubby does cheese on toast in the air fryer,quicker and cheaper than using the grill in the oven.
We watched Alexis Conran on the Air Fryer programme it was good. We also saw him in the Scammers programme a couple of weeks ago.

Hubby does cheese on toast in the air fryer,quicker and cheaper than using the grill in the oven.
We watched Alexis Conran on the Air Fryer programme it was good. We also saw him in the Scammers programme a couple of weeks ago.
Does he use it to make the toast first?

I've found that if you only toast one side and put the cheese on the raw side, it just soaks into the bread and is all soggy.

I used to have C on T EVERY lunch time for many years, as it was quick to prepare when I went home during my lunch hour. Eventually I got fed up with it, and only have it rarely now (Welsh Rarebit, see what I've done there) and have always used the oven grill, which is expensive as it takes ages to heat up.

How do others like their C on T? I like mine fully melted but NO BROWNING at all, and I was probably the world expert at making it!

I have never yet found a toaster that will take a full size slice of bread the "correct" way around.

That is, with the long side down. So you have to put it with the short side down, then about a third of the bread sticks out of the top, so it doesn't toast.

So I have to keep turning it upside down many time to get the whole slice toasted all over.

I've tried many toasters, from the cheapest to very expensive, they've all been the same.

What is the point of a toaster that won't take a slice from a standard supermarket large sliced loaf?

Asda/George do a long slot toaster.

Strato, is French toast eggy bread? My mum used to make it when we were kids and I loved it. It seemed easy, cut a slice of white bread in half, whip up an egg, coat half slices in egg both sides, fry in hot oil. Yum yum.

Fried bread I think you just chuck it in the frying pan and fry both sides until crispy. I love it but it gives me heartburn and has a squillion calories in each piece.

God and I've got boring meusli for breakfast :rolleyes: Being unhealthy is so much more fun.

CC

QUESTION - -

French toast is a big favourite in my house, the bread has to be stale or left out to dry before dipping in egg mix. I fry it in a mix of oil and butter. White bread is best. I will be trying crumpets too. I haven't done fried bread but I guess dried out bread would be better than fresh for that too.

I've just had some myself as I had some left over tiger bloomer from yesterday and it was lovely. I did wonder whether anyone's ever tried blending in a small piece of cheese with the egg before I think that would be delicious. I always beat my eggs in my magic bullet as I find it more convenient than using a fork and a bowl and it literally takes two seconds. For anything that requires beaten egg, scrambled or omelette comes out brilliantly if you use a blender like this. I reckon I could be a BA for the Magic bullet (Not Nutribullet), the original - it's one of the best things I've ever bought!

French toast is a big favourite in my house, the bread has to be stale or left out to dry before dipping in egg mix. I fry it in a mix of oil and butter. White bread is best. I will be trying crumpets too. I haven't done fried bread but I guess dried out bread would be better than fresh for that too.
I've just had some myself as I had some left over tiger bloomer from yesterday and it was lovely. I did wonder whether anyone's ever tried blending in a small piece of cheese with the egg before I think that would be delicious. I always beat my eggs in my magic bullet as I find it more convenient than using a fork and a bowl and it literally takes two seconds. For anything that requires beaten egg, scrambled or omelette comes out brilliantly if you use a blender like this. I reckon I could be a BA for the Magic bullet (Not Nutribullet), the original - it's one of the best things I've ever bought!
I think these are called EGGY BREAD, French toast is different, no egg.

But I've had no success with eggy bread either.

Latest posts

Back