Unfunny comedians

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Last night I went to the open air theatre with my friend Simon, I treated him to tickets to a comedy night as the star of the show was Maisie Adam and for some reason he absolutely loves her. I've mainly only seen her on panel shows like Richard Osman's house of games and I caught a brief glimpse of her on Live at the Apollo and I didn't think she was particularly funny. The first half consisted of 3 comedians, Chloe Petts, act mainly about her being a lesbian, Glenn Moore again seen on Apollo/H.O.G and fairly amusing, and a Morrocan woman who I've also seen on H.O.G. Apart from slightly looking forward to Glenn's set I was almost dreading it.
To cut a long story short Chloe compered and did a quick set, and whilst her act didn't really "talk to me" she was a jolly good compere, and to be fair to her she did make me lol a few times, next was Fatiha el-Ghorri the Morrocan woman, again not really up my street but was fairly entertaining. Then they announced that Glenn Moore had to pull out so they'd got someone called Simon Munnery to take his place, I'd not heard of him, but he was absolutely hilarious that was the first half. The second half was entirely Maisie Adam - FFS? She was just NOT FUNNY! Si was splitting his sides. She gave a lengthy description of what it was like having to buy school shoes back in the day and how some middle aged lady called Carol, Linda or Sue would force your foot into a Mediaeval torture device ( I don't remember them being quite like that) and then telling your mum what size you were and going to choose shoes, only you couldn't choose 'cause your mum chose them for you and how she'd press the toe area to see how much room they had - Hilarious, er not! then how you had to do the "walk" - cue a silly walk around the arena. Her set culminated in her saying how cool people even Beyonce can still slip when wiping their arse and get **** on their fingers - "Not so cool now with an arse nugget stuck to your finger are you?" That brought the house down. It was a good night out and I'm glad Si enjoyed his birthday present - but ffs what passes as comedy these days leaves me cold!

I can't get past her haircut, it reminds me of the "mod"/"skinhead" girl hair cuts that were popular back in the early 70s. Every time I try to listen to what she is saying I fixate on her haircut! I found an article about it, I guess she does it to stand out, in the wrong way in my humble opinion, but I am now old and I've seen most fashions before, so while I am glad we have the freedom to have an individual look, it does nothing for me at all.

I am very staid, I went to a chamber quartet concert on Saturday, that was the peak of excitement for me for the past many weeks!

Try listening to "Call Jonathon Pie" on radio 4, especially this weeks.

Very few people would NOT find this offensive, what do others think?

Never heard of this before but I just listened - For me there was a lot of lol moments, but I would say that some of the inclusions are things that really shouldn't be joked about EVER, I was able to see it as a bold satirical piece and can't say it offended me, but then I'm lucky enough not to be personally affected by anything they were joking about. I'm more likely to be offended by gratuitous bad language when it's not part of a story or a characterisation. When a comic comes on stage and says "If you're easily offended - then F%%K OFF" or a comic who uses swear words as punctuation I would rather not listen to them, it's not funny and it's definitely not witty.
Stand up comedy though is a hard one to get right I think, you'll get some that will try and inject humour into stories of everyday life but mostly will produce a monologue that makes people think "yeah that's a true point" but it doesn't make one double up with laughter and then some of them have the knack of turning the most mundane situations into absolute hilarity, some are crude, even shocking at times but funny, then you get the gratuitously offensive as mentioned in the last paragraph. Maisie Adam for me was just lame!

Just listened. Liked it. Thought it was an excellent comprehensive summary of the issues around online, internet, social media and the like. In the form of a comedy format!

For a supposedly out of touch gen x, the JP character was spot-on with the observations on social media, IG/FB, cameras, phones, etc. From 2023, all the issues around phones, not enjoying the moment but photographing it, influencers, pr0n, etc. all apposite. etc. all as relevant now as then.
Like the JP comments on belts, M&S and paunch!
Often enjoy these character-based type comedies. Partridge, AliG, J Pie, Roger Mellie. The joke often being on them and their attitudes, not the subject.
But in this case, it was both.

I just came for a quick catchup so haven't listened but I've seen MP on Have I Got News For You (that's funny), but never found her watchable.

Rosie Jones is another I can't watch.

I just came for a quick catchup so haven't listened but I've seen MP on Have I Got News For You (that's funny), but never found her watchable.

Rosie Jones is another I can't watch.
Who’s MP?
Do you mean MA (Maisie Adams)?

I’ve only ever seen her on panel shows and she’s been quite funny on those but sounds as if maybe her stand up isn’t amazing!

Why can’t you watch Rosie Jones?

I haven’t listened to the specific episode you posted but will give it a listen.

The BBC episode (first one) was being repeated this week so I heard that and I liked it.

His character is a bit in your face but it was pretty true to life.

Last night I went to the open air theatre with my friend Simon, I treated him to tickets to a comedy night as the star of the show was Maisie Adam and for some reason he absolutely loves her. I've mainly only seen her on panel shows like Richard Osman's house of games and I caught a brief glimpse of her on Live at the Apollo and I didn't think she was particularly funny. The first half consisted of 3 comedians, Chloe Petts, act mainly about her being a lesbian, Glenn Moore again seen on Apollo/H.O.G and fairly amusing, and a Morrocan woman who I've also seen on H.O.G. Apart from slightly looking forward to Glenn's set I was almost dreading it.
To cut a long story short Chloe compered and did a quick set, and whilst her act didn't really "talk to me" she was a jolly good compere, and to be fair to her she did make me lol a few times, next was Fatiha el-Ghorri the Morrocan woman, again not really up my street but was fairly entertaining. Then they announced that Glenn Moore had to pull out so they'd got someone called Simon Munnery to take his place, I'd not heard of him, but he was absolutely hilarious that was the first half. The second half was entirely Maisie Adam - FFS? She was just NOT FUNNY! Si was splitting his sides. She gave a lengthy description of what it was like having to buy school shoes back in the day and how some middle aged lady called Carol, Linda or Sue would force your foot into a Mediaeval torture device ( I don't remember them being quite like that) and then telling your mum what size you were and going to choose shoes, only you couldn't choose 'cause your mum chose them for you and how she'd press the toe area to see how much room they had - Hilarious, er not! then how you had to do the "walk" - cue a silly walk around the arena. Her set culminated in her saying how cool people even Beyonce can still slip when wiping their arse and get **** on their fingers - "Not so cool now with an arse nugget stuck to your finger are you?" That brought the house down. It was a good night out and I'm glad Si enjoyed his birthday present - but ffs what passes as comedy these days leaves me cold!
Not sure how this popped up - think it appeared in the ‘new posts’ section but didn’t realise it’s from last year.

Enjoyed reading about your stand up experience.

I used to be very up to date on stand up comedy but not in recent years.

Knew the name Simon Munnery but never seen him on anything on TV or radio but will look out for him…

Not sure how this popped up - think it appeared in the ‘new posts’ section but didn’t realise it’s from last year.

Enjoyed reading about your stand up experience.

I used to be very up to date on stand up comedy but not in recent years.

Knew the name Simon Munnery but never seen him on anything on TV or radio but will look out for him…
It's because a list of "similar threads" pops underneath everything you're adding or reading in the new format, and I love it, it's great to be able to read the old posts and even add to them. Some forums don't allow this once a certain amount of time has elapsed. I remember getting a severe warning from Digital Spy because I revived an old post I'd found by chance and wanted to add to the conversation. Whilst I'm here I may as well add to this one because I can lol!
Through the years I have come far more difficult to entertain, my dancing days have gone (my choice) couldn't imagine anything worse than going to a loud nightclub, an evening out drinking doesn't do it for me either nowadays and when it comes to music gigs, it's got to be an artist/band I absolutely LOVE as opposed to quite like/don't mind. Fairly recently I was given a spare ticket to see Gabrielle so I went along with my friend, I didn't really want to go as I knew I'd find it boring but if I didn't agree I knew she'd have to go alone which isn't ideal. Back in the 90's I did actually buy a Gabrielle album 'cause I liked a couple of her tracks, but it was one of those albums I'd have quietly on whilst I was doing the housework, so a couple of hours sitting in one spot having to give it my undivided attention, and of course being forced to stand up and jiggle around didn't float my boat either.
Stand up comedy, you never know and it's one form of entertainment I'm still happy to take a chance on, 'cause there's nothing nicer that having your funny bone tickled even if you think you're not gonna enjoy the act, there's always gonna a chance that you will. Obviously could've done without the entire set being the unfunny Maisie Adam, but the few really good laughs I had along the way made up for it in spades. I haven't had a night out for ages, but I'm still in winter hibernation mode!

All of the following. Michael McIntyre, James Corden, David Walliams, Leigh Francis aka Keith Lemon (admit, I did find Bo' Selecta! funny back in the early 2000s). Jack Whitehall. Miranda Hart. Rosie Jones. Alan Carr. Paddy McGuinness. Andi Osho. Gina Yashere. Russel Brand. Russel Kane. Angela Barnes.

All of the following. Michael McIntyre, James Corden, David Walliams, Leigh Francis aka Keith Lemon (admit, I did find Bo' Selecta! funny back in the early 2000s). Jack Whitehall. Miranda Hart. Rosie Jones. Alan Carr. Paddy McGuinness. Andi Osho. Gina Yashere. Russel Brand. Russel Kane. Angela Barnes.
I love Angela Barnes and did see her at the open air theatre and she was brilliant, but pretty much loathe most of the other people you've listed there (a couple I'm not familiar with). There are very few I'd buy tickets for a standalone show though and they would be Dave Gorman (not a comic as such but so clever and entertaining), Ross Noble, Sarah Millican, Peter Kay. I also love Tim Vine and his one liners!

I love Angela Barnes and did see her at the open air theatre and she was brilliant, but pretty much loathe most of the other people you've listed there (a couple I'm not familiar with). There are very few I'd buy tickets for a standalone show though and they would be Dave Gorman (not a comic as such but so clever and entertaining), Ross Noble, Sarah Millican, Peter Kay. I also love Tim Vine and his one liners!
Mock of the Week, Live at the Apollo, and maybe some panel shows have been my only glimpses of her. I have recalled another two. Suzi Ruffel and Zoe Lyons, also from watching the above mentioned shows.

Who is that awful Canadian up herself woman ‘comedian’? She is particularly unfunny and annoying. And that Geordie woman? Sarah somebody? Knitting fog is more amusing than those two.

Mock of the Week, Live at the Apollo, and maybe some panel shows have been my only glimpses of her. I have recalled another two. Suzi Ruffel and Zoe Lyons, also from watching the above mentioned shows.
I'm guessing that these two are added to a list of your dislikes. I agree on what I've seen of Suzi Ruffell and Zoe Lyons is not really that funny at all though I wouldn't put her down as an absolute dislike of mine. What I really can't stand is the lazy leftyism in comedy. A few cheap anti-Tory gags seems to be all a lot of these "comics" have. I'm not saying we should go back to the old school racist/sexist comedy from the working men's clubs of 1970's but simply moving onto a different target isn't much of an improvement. Political satire is one thing but it takes work, taking a cheap pop can be done by anybody. Like I said earlier on, some comics just seem to have the knack of being able to turn the most mundane into hilarious comedy, and funnily enough it's very rarely at somebody else's expense or simply be able to tell quickfire jokes - Most of the new wave can't!

I like the man (can't remember his name) who goes around lots of towns and does live half-hour shows (broadcast on the radio) gently mocking whichever town he is in, and interacting with the audience. All done in the best possible taste and very funny.

I like the man (can't remember his name) who goes around lots of towns and does live half-hour shows (broadcast on the radio) gently mocking whichever town he is in, and interacting with the audience. All done in the best possible taste and very funny.
Think you mean Mark Steel?

He does “Mark Steel’s in Town” on radio 4…

I think I heard he’s under going treatment for throat cancer atm poor chap…

Mark Steele and yes he's known for his lefty views and again he's another one I've seen at the open air theatre in the past, however what I saw of him that night impressed me greatly, he can do comedy without having to reach for the lowest common denominator . I've heard a couple of his comedy broadcasts about towns and they were absolutely brilliant, in fact I'm tempted to try and find them on catch up!

Latest posts

Back