Gem Collector Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is a joke, right?
Must be. Or it's generated by an automation that hasn't been reviewed since 2014. Like this on the same "deal" page - 18mm x 13mm, clarity and treatment 'n/a', no image, no video and accessing the item via product code on the site generates "Currently unavailable" message.

This piece of British coral fossil elsewhere 10cm x 5cm, £25. What were they charging for their cabs recently at a fraction of the weight? (Image 2)

The GC homepage declares that they are now "fully digital". The whole GC website is as digital as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Shocking search facilities since the channel was launched, they release partial developments to the public to test them, glitchy feeds, etc. They really don't give a monkey's about their web presence. Seriously, at work, we're about to invest in a super-efficient modern technology to improve the customer search and product offering experience as a key plank in sales strategy.

Rank ignorant amateurs or condescending shysters. Can't decide which.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-26-04-32-15-617.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-03-26-04-32-15-617.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • part-of-a-fossil-coral-reef-cut-and-polished-325-million-years-old-yorkshire-(2)-10494-p.jpeg
    part-of-a-fossil-coral-reef-cut-and-polished-325-million-years-old-yorkshire-(2)-10494-p.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The GC homepage declares that they are now "fully digital". The whole GC website is as digital as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Shocking search facilities since the channel was launched, they release partial developments to the public to test them, glitchy feeds, etc. They really don't give a monkey's about their web presence. Seriously, at work, we're about to invest in a super-efficient modern technology to improve the customer search and product offering experience as a key plank in sales strategy.

The website got worse with every update they made to it - and it was already bad from the 2nd website onwards.

The best website they had, that actually worked and served a purpose, was the first one - but once the internet became 'mobile friendly first', they ditched that website and moved to a new one.

As soon as they moved to that 2nd website, hundreds of rare minerals 'vanished' - and they've never been seen since.

I raised it time and time again with Alex and Matt Bennett. Alex had no idea what I was talking about (understandably, because the 1st website had already gone before Gem Collector launched their channel), and Matt Bennett just said "I'll get it looked into" each time.

The minerals have always been way down their priorities - probably because they're a bit more niche and don't sell as well as the 'everyday' gemstoens such as Tanzanite, Tourmaline, Amethyst, etc.

They've only recently re-added the link to the daily deals page to the latest abomination of a website - months after it went live.

Did nobody thing to test it before it 'went live'?

The website got worse with every update they made to it - and it was already bad from the 2nd website onwards.

The best website they had, that actually worked and served a purpose, was the first one - but once the internet became 'mobile friendly first', they ditched that website and moved to a new one.

As soon as they moved to that 2nd website, hundreds of rare minerals 'vanished' - and they've never been seen since.

I raised it time and time again with Alex and Matt Bennett. Alex had no idea what I was talking about (understandably, because the 1st website had already gone before Gem Collector launched their channel), and Matt Bennett just said "I'll get it looked into" each time.

The minerals have always been way down their priorities - probably because they're a bit more niche and don't sell as well as the 'everyday' gemstoens such as Tanzanite, Tourmaline, Amethyst, etc.

They've only recently re-added the link to the daily deals page to the latest abomination of a website - months after it went live.

Did nobody thing to test it before it 'went live'?
There's a Golden Rule in IT - never test the website before it goes 'live'. I've worked at several places where new systems have been brought in and without exception none of them worked when they were rolled out to the end users. Not one. One of them was installed over a year ago - and you still can't perform a search because the search function isn't fit for purpose (neither's the rest of it, come to that). The management, of course, deny everything and claim the end users are at fault. Post Office/Horizon, anyone? Time after time, after time, etc. :rolleyes:

There's a Golden Rule in IT - never test the website before it goes 'live'. I've worked at several places where new systems have been brought in and without exception none of them worked when they were rolled out to the end users. Not one. One of them was installed over a year ago - and you still can't perform a search because the search function isn't fit for purpose (neither's the rest of it, come to that). The management, of course, deny everything and claim the end users are at fault. Post Office/Horizon, anyone? Time after time, after time, etc. :rolleyes:

I totally agree.

I think the other problem with the websites are that:

a) They're trying to use a 'one size fits all' website across the board - for example, the latest Gem Collector website is clearly the same template as the main Gemporia website. The problem is, it just doesn't work for Gem Collector.

b) The IT team aren't just exclusive to working on the Gem Collector website - they do the websites for the entire Gemporia group which includes Gemporia, Jewellery Maker, Sewing Street, Gemporia Craft and Primal. They're simply creating the websites to look good and appear to be 'functional' - but they don't use the websites on a daily basis to experience how they need to work from an end user's point of view. For example, if they tried to use the search function on Gem Collector to search for stones by cut, mining origin, etc, they'd see that its unfit for purpose.

c) I suspect the IT team consist of not enough people. Redundancies were made to the presenter line-up, camera crew, call centre staff and other 'behind the scenes' people, so I suspect cuts were made to the IT team too.

d) Gemporia don't seem to care. Issues have been raised in the past, and they've just been shrugged off. The websites are an afterthought. Their primary focus is the TV side of things.

most buyers, purchase via the app or online
Especially foreigners. I watch Gemporia (as well as Gem Collector) and buy their products exclusively online because I live in Poland. I can't watch Gemporia (nor Gem Collector) on my TV screen. What's more, their telephone numbers are NOT free for callers from my country.

Especially foreigners. I watch Gemporia (as well as Gem Collector) and buy their products exclusively online because I live in Poland. I can't watch Gemporia (nor Gem Collector) on my TV screen. What's more, their telephone numbers are NOT free for callers from my country.
Online is cheaper and easier for you then x

It looks like someone's smudged a bit of blue crayon across a white pebble. Bargain though, buy it, buy two, buy one for the postie's birthday.....
What do the collectors who know about gems think of their purple sapphires which are being shown on gem collector at the moment. I know it is an expensive stone so are their prices ok .

I totally agree.

I think the other problem with the websites are that:

a) They're trying to use a 'one size fits all' website across the board - for example, the latest Gem Collector website is clearly the same template as the main Gemporia website. The problem is, it just doesn't work for Gem Collector.

b) The IT team aren't just exclusive to working on the Gem Collector website - they do the websites for the entire Gemporia group which includes Gemporia, Jewellery Maker, Sewing Street, Gemporia Craft and Primal. They're simply creating the websites to look good and appear to be 'functional' - but they don't use the websites on a daily basis to experience how they need to work from an end user's point of view. For example, if they tried to use the search function on Gem Collector to search for stones by cut, mining origin, etc, they'd see that its unfit for purpose.

c) I suspect the IT team consist of not enough people. Redundancies were made to the presenter line-up, camera crew, call centre staff and other 'behind the scenes' people, so I suspect cuts were made to the IT team too.

d) Gemporia don't seem to care. Issues have been raised in the past, and they've just been shrugged off. The websites are an afterthought. Their primary focus is the TV side of things.
This is the heart of the problem - they don't listen to the end users. Ever. But however good it looks, if it's useless when being used then it's useless full stop! It could be singing the National Anthem at you, but if it doesn't work then it's not fit for purpose and people will get angry and frustrated trying to use it. I can well believe that they've cut the staff to the bone - pity they don't do the same with some of the presenters (hi, Jess and Lynsey!).

This is the heart of the problem - they don't listen to the end users. Ever.

They're arrogant enough to think that they always know best. This has always bene the case - and nothing ever changes.

EVERY time you raise something with their online team, they say "We'll raise it with the team" - and that's as far as it goes.

On the rare occasion that they do say something different, they dismiss what you have to say and then tell you why they're right. For example, they get endless complaints about Troth and his lectures, yet despite getting so many complaints, they just say "Our viewers say they like to be educated, blah blah blah".

They're totally oblivious (or simply arrogant / ignorant) to public perception.

What do the collectors who know about gems think of their purple sapphires which are being shown on gem collector at the moment. I know it is an expensive stone so are their prices ok .

Are these the ones that Toby Cavill sourced? If so, I think they're expensive for what they are.

However, the natural Rubies that they did just before Christmas were of an exceptional quality and despite being around £3000 each, they were similarly priced to HEAT TREATED rubies from elsewhere, and if memory serves me correctly, they came with a GIA lab certificate too - so those were actually reasonably priced.

Are these the ones that Toby Cavill sourced? If so, I think they're expensive for what they are.

However, the natural Rubies that they did just before Christmas were of an exceptional quality and despite being around £3000 each, they were similarly priced to HEAT TREATED rubies from elsewhere, and if memory serves me correctly, they came with a GIA lab certificate too - so those were actually reasonably priced.
Thank you . It’s really great to have the opinion of people who collect stones. You are concentrating on the actual gem. I missed the rubies but I saw you all seemed to like their coober Pedy opal pendants with the darkish backgrounds so I bought one of those. I don’t believe a word that the Gemporia presenters say.Their prices have also gone up enormously in the last few years. When I see the prices I paid for items just a few years ago I’m amazed. At least I knew enough not to pay their prices for the treated yellow beryl they were flogging recently though I love the colour. If they had been a realistic price I would have been tempted.

I don’t believe a word that the Gemporia presenters say.

They're full of s**t mate. If they told me the sky is blue, I'd have to go outside to check.

Their prices have also gone up enormously in the last few years.

It's scandalous just how much their prices have gone up - and, in my opinion, it'll bite them on the arse long term. We all know that they're been struggling financially over the past couple of year - and it's clear that they've hiked their prices up to get themselves out of their predicament. However, it might benefit them short term - but it's going to drive away long term, loyal customers that can now see that they're being ripped off. Once those new and short term customers also feel the same way, and their long-term customers have gone, they'll be doomed.

They were selling Silver Sheen Obsidian earlier. £20 for ONE cabochon. I used to buy packs of 6 or so from their sister channel, Jewellery Maker, for around £8 a pack. By comparison, GemSelect are selling similar for around £5 each - or you could buy around 3 or 4 of them from Chalmers Gems for about £12.

They're taking the p**s out of their customers now.

At least I knew enough not to pay their prices for the treated yellow beryl they were flogging recently though I love the colour. If they had been a realistic price I would have been tempted.
The latest ones are irradiated and more of an 'orangey-yellow' and a bit 'wishy-washy'. It might be worth checking their old stock - they used to have some untreated stones that were superior in colour and vivid yellow - but I suspect those are gone now.

...but I saw you all seemed to like their coober Pedy opal pendants with the darkish backgrounds so I bought one of those.
Good for you. I'm mildly envious. 😳 A couple of the dark-bodied ones were really quite lovely. (I do tend to prefer Ethiopian opals like this.)

They're arrogant enough to think that they always know best. This has always bene the case - and nothing ever changes.

EVERY time you raise something with their online team, they say "We'll raise it with the team" - and that's as far as it goes.

On the rare occasion that they do say something different, they dismiss what you have to say and then tell you why they're right. For example, they get endless complaints about Troth and his lectures, yet despite getting so many complaints, they just say "Our viewers say they like to be educated, blah blah blah".

They're totally oblivious (or simply arrogant / ignorant) to public perception.
I love to be learn things, but there's a difference between education and a 45 minute lecture because they only have two items in the hour. It's all hyping up the product, not proper education. And another thing, IF they do only have a fractional hour's worth of items, bunch them together with other items, instead of raving for a month about a showcase, when the showcase is usually Troth or Cavill imparting, probably known info (if the customers are as knowledgeable as they usually are, they should not need to be bombarded). Isn't there a 'learning library' on the website so they could just put a section there for 'news' and say for example, we have this....... there's some news about it, here is the headline ....... go to the so-and-so section on the web to find out a more in depth article.

Latest posts

Back