Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

He’s doing well. He has a very pleasant, calm manner. Seems to be bothered about giving a decent and informative presentation. Knowledgeable on a range of different subjects from cooking to technology. I suspect he actually first meets the products he is to sell, prior to broadcast and not like Simon etc…live on air. Can you imagine the others ironing?? Very impressed with him. Joe, Simona, Heather and Rob would have made a great quartet. Simona no longer an option. Kelly and Tim from the former version would also have been good additions as presenters. You need younger blood in this game. Not the tainted, cynical ex-auction channels approach.

Last edited:
Have been watching Joe and he's great. Doesn't over egg the pudding, tries to make something interesting out of the mundane and is informative as well. The producers do seem keen to have these not direct comparisons and he is lumbered with having to show them. But even when they do direct comparisons they don't state where they found it. Is he the only current presenter who presents on both Ideal World and Create and Craft? I know they used to be the same company but obviously not for a while.

I imagine the pimply youth in command sees telling somebody a £300 jacket of far superior quality, they aren’t selling, compares well with a £30 one they are, because it looks a bit like it. Makes the perceived ‘value’ stand out better…

I thought Remblance dealt well with the one I saw he was expected to provide. Being new, perhaps he can’t easily do a Rob, say ‘Get out of here’ and just reject it. He was selling some sort set of small pots set for around £30, I think. He was then expected to compare it with one similar in content, but selling for £100. Whilst he went with it, he did say that the £100 comparison was a set of different quality, but similar alone in the number of pieces and general purpose. Something along those lines, anyway. Other than refuse to read them out I think that is all a decent presenter can do.

The consistent clouding of the issue with these ‘Not a Direct Comparison’ games they play is clearly in the lack of any sources provided. It looks like some Viz reading youth in the Gallery simply trawls the Internet on a Google Images search, finds something that looks similar, and then types in a price much higher than the item they are selling. You think it would be a natural thing to do for them to quote the source of the far more expensive items to give the comparison more credibility, allow it to be checked by the potential buyers, and then properly compared. The fact they don’t do it tells you all you need to know about their intent for using them and the overall accuracy and credibility of this ‘service’ they offer.

The second version of Ideal World did price comparisons and did them usually fairly and well. They did them mainly on branded goods for the home - not on things like watches. They would source what actual retail competitors were selling the SAME item for, and then used four to five of them as part of an on-screen list which the presenter went through. That was the honest and the informed choice way of doing them. Not how these production Milky Bar Kid cowboys do them.

Last edited:
That’s right. Boy, they had their failings. But not on that issue. Yes, no doubt they could have found examples where what they were selling was cheaper elsewhere, but at least they gave proper sourced information that could be checked. Not the smoke and mirrors, load of old bol…this version plays at.

I was confident enough at times to actually buy from the previous version. When I did buy, the goods arrived and I got one or two really good deals. The Rug Doctor package they did was a superb one, which I did buy. I wouldn’t buy the dirt off their heels on the current Ideal World. I would rather pay significantly more elsewhere than ever endorse their shabby selling methods with any custom of mine.

I’m surprised IW2 never tried Joe as a presenter, you feel cooking is almost like something he just enjoys.

He’s done more presenting than you think, while being a Chef at IW2, he was doubling up at presenting on Create and Craft, at times in the same shift, he would be on Create and Craft, and say I’m going onto IW now, plus he worked for Sara Davies and Crafters TV

He’s doing well. He has a very pleasant, calm manner. Seems to be bothered about giving a decent and informative presentation. Knowledgeable on a range of different subjects from cooking to technology. I suspect he actually first meets the products he is to sell, prior to broadcast and not like Simon etc…live on air. Can you imagine the others ironing?? Very impressed with him. Joe, Simona, Heather and Rob would have made a great quartet. Simona no longer an option. Kelly and Tim from the former version would also have been good additions as presenters. You need younger blood in this game. Not the tainted, cynical ex-auction channels approach.
Is Heather still an option too? I've not seen her for quite a while and last I heard mention of her was that she was just doing modelling for the channels.

I saw Simona on QVC last night (she was on the cooking show with Eilidh). Not surprisingly Ideal World's loss is QVC's gain. It's crazy to think that someone thought that the likes of Dirty Peter and Sally's approach to shopping telly sales was the way to go as opposed to someone like Simona's.

Simona was never going to stay working at IW3, she was just using it as an opportunity to get her foot in the door/some experience, until a better opportunity came along, which just happened to be a job at QVC. Heather no longer presents anymore; she only does fashion modeling now. She sometimes works with Rent-A-Gob Jacks during the week and sometimes on fashion Fridays.

Is Heather still an option too? I've not seen her for quite a while and last I heard mention of her was that she was just doing modelling for the channels.

I saw Simona on QVC last night (she was on the cooking show with Eilidh). Not surprisingly Ideal World's loss is QVC's gain. It's crazy to think that someone thought that the likes of Dirty Peter and Sally's approach to shopping telly sales was the way to go as opposed to someone like Simona's.
Shopping television seems generally out of touch with what younger people of today want from it. The truth is, collectively, it knows it can never offer what younger people of today want. Everything it is is a contradiction in terms to that. I think as a result, they desperately cling on to an aging dying off market (literally). They probably see relics like Jacks and Simon as irreplaceable and hugely popular with those shoppers who think it is still culturally 1978. Either that, or the pair or them own shares in the company.

Simona was never going to stay working at IW3, she was just using it as an opportunity to get her foot in the door/some experience, until a better opportunity came along, which just happened to be a job at QVC. Heather no longer presents anymore; she only does fashion modeling now. She sometimes works with Rent-A-Gob Jacks during the week and sometimes on fashion Fridays.
Will explain why I don't see her. I occasionally catch some early morning stuff but it's primarily in the evening I'll watch bits. I'm certainly never knowingly watching Foghorn Jacks and Fashion Friday is Gen isn't it? Someone else who I try to avoid at all costs.

I imagine the pimply youth in command sees telling somebody a £300 jacket of far superior quality, they aren’t selling, compares well with a £30 one they are, because it looks a bit like it. Makes the perceived ‘value’ stand out better…

I thought Remblance dealt well with the one I saw he was expected to provide. Being new, perhaps he can’t easily do a Rob, say ‘Get out of here’ and just reject it. He was selling some sort set of small pots set for around £30, I think. He was then expected to compare it with one similar in content, but selling for £100. Whilst he went with it, he did say that the £100 comparison was a set of different quality, but similar alone in the number of pieces and general purpose. Something along those lines, anyway. Other than refuse to read them out I think that is all a decent presenter can do.

The consistent clouding of the issue with these ‘Not a Direct Comparison’ games they play is clearly in the lack of any sources provided. It looks like some Viz reading youth in the Gallery simply trawls the Internet on a Google Images search, finds something that looks similar, and then types in a price much higher than the item they are selling. You think it would be a natural thing to do for them to quote the source of the far more expensive items to give the comparison more credibility, allow it to be checked by the potential buyers, and then properly compared. The fact they don’t do it tells you all you need to know about their intent for using them and the overall accuracy and credibility of this ‘service’ they offer.

The second version of Ideal World did price comparisons and did them usually fairly and well. They did them mainly on branded goods for the home - not on things like watches. They would source what actual retail competitors were selling the SAME item for, and then used four to five of them as part of an on-screen list which the presenter went through. That was the honest and the informed choice way of doing them. Not how these production Milky Bar Kid cowboys do them.
Looking at the info graphics they put up it is more trouble (for them) to obscure the source than it would be to just screen grab it and put that up.

Will explain why I don't see her. I occasionally catch some early morning stuff but it's primarily in the evening I'll watch bits. I'm certainly never knowingly watching Foghorn Jacks and Fashion Friday is Gen isn't it? Someone else who I try to avoid at all costs.
Gen does fashion on Fridays, and occasionally Motormouth Jacks covers if Gen is not available.

Do they just cut and paste a photo onto a white background and type the text in themselves, then? That’s what it looks like to me? Essentially, they could type anything. I can never find the images they use and I am pretty good at searching the Net usually. The dates shown are always some days old, too. You think they’d compare on the day of broadcast. It’s almost like they go to a generic images site, see something similar and take it from there.

Shopping television seems generally out of touch with what younger people of today want from it. The truth is, collectively, it knows it can never offer what younger people of today want. Everything it is is a contradiction in terms to that. I think as a result, they desperately cling on to an aging dying off market (literally). They probably see relics like Jacks and Simon as irreplaceable and hugely popular with those shoppers who think it is still culturally 1978. Either that, or the pair or them own shares in the company.
Yes, there's no possible way that shopping TV can be a growing sector. The young don't go for broadcast telly per se. They will never become addicts of this genre.

Thus IW3, QVC and the rest are catering to a declining market which is where Pete, Sally and Mike come in (the latter being a sort of cheeky son in law). Older people do like the familiar although for me, these three are the worst examples of yesteryear. Obviously, a lot of viewers must like and buy from them but just because you are addressing an ageing audience I still believe you should employ respectful, decent and honest standards of selling rather than this brigade's appalling tactics.

BTW, Pete has just added an arthritic ankle to his long list of ailments in the interest of flogging those sodding copper socks. Although he never seems to wear them with his dirty brown shoes.

I think he is being absolutely clear when he says will help. He then immediately corrects himself to may help. It’s like a lot of what goes on there… They make a mistake that plants in the mind of the receiver of what they hear a positive idea about the product. A positive idea that is incorrect. Then they immediately correct what they said and replace it with the more ambiguous comment. But the seed has been set in the mind of the potential buyer through the original one.

Latest posts

Back