Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am trying to think of a shopping television presenter on any channel that appeared to have any knowledge of watches whatsoever apart from telling the time? Actually, I am trying to think of a watch expert guest on any shopping channel that appeared to have any knowledge of watches either. Reynolds didn’t seem to know anything technical about watches in general. The actors saying anything for a sale. Neil with Roamer, perhaps? Hammy will know..Or the Professor.
Long one, sorry, got a bit carried away. :eek::ROFLMAO:

This is my non expert opinion of some of the watch experts I’ve seen on selly telly, some I can’t remember names but if I use the brand name then you’ll probably know who I’m speaking about, and as i keep saying, while i may know some stuff about watches i am far from an expert myself, but thankfully know enough to know when someone is bullshitting and lying.

Okay starting with a non IW, didn’t actually like the guy or his style, but he did seem to know some stuff, he was on the V channel, watch commander I think he called himself. There was also some Welsh lady, not sure why she was flogging watches but hey she seemed nice enough anyway.:ROFLMAO:

Seen a couple of watch shows on TJC, nobody (presenters) so far seems to know much about horology, apart from how to flog watches to the gullible, only “expert” is Papa Fields, enough said, although does explain Baby.:ROFLMAO:

Neil Morley, the Neil in your post, works for Time & More UK ltd, Brand promoters & Distributers, has 25 years’ experience in watch retail, seems knowledgeable, as well as Roamer they also do Orient watches (now made by Seiko Epson), why they didn’t promote/push them to IW is beyond me, far better than most of the Junk on IW. Only minot criticism of Neil was his gruff, gravelly voice, kinda made his presentation boring and hard to follow at times.

Accurist/Sekonda guy, assuming he works for Time Products Ltd, bit bland, obviously knowledgeable with the affordable market of Accurist, Sekonda, etc, not a lot technically to get into with those watches but seemed competent and likeable enough.

Baby Field, absolute bomb scare, knows **** all, and I mean **** all about watches or British WW2 history for that matter. Although gave us some of the funniest watch shows with some of his classic takes on WW2 history, ie Lancaster was a JET FIGHTER bomber, Zeppelin bombed London during the blitz, etc.:ROFLMAO:

David Anthony, Baby Fields replacement, a boring version of baby fields, an actor with the same level of horology knowledge, although he is better educated on British history.

Mike Beckingham, an alleged actor & watch expert for Anthony James (Field's watch brand), god knows why he was on as a watch expert knew absolutely nothing and added nothing to the show, probably just there as eye candy for the women viewers.:eek:

“all four corners of the Globe” Cunningham, actually knew a bit about watches but tended to concentrate on exaggerating/over egging quality especially with the fashion brands and very economical & misleading with some of his Swiss related info.

Kevski, actually one of the better experts for giving technical details about the watches, just a shame that most of it he was just repeating what he read or was told rather than really understanding most of the technical/horology aspects himself, ie his explanation of COSC certification was a hoot, he couldn’t even decipher the test certificate correctly and his explanation of what happens at the test labs was totally wrong, but at least he gave the specs.

Emma “Miss Precision” Boydell, she may claim to have many years of experience in the jewellery/watch arena, but judging her from her performances on IW, that experience was limited to Jewellery/Gem Stones, and next to none in horology, often states crap resultco watches compare favourably with her hubby's high end Swiss watch, although we've not been told what watch it is. Knows very little about watches, another that excels in overeaggeration of quality also obsessed with weight of a watch as sign of quality, some of the stuff she comes out with is hilarious, her description of how Shield watches got their “Pro Diver” certification was one, each Shield watch was sent to Switzerland and tested at the ISO labs in Geneva to pass the ISO 6425 standard. :ROFLMAO: ****** charalatan only just misses out on bottom spot due to Bordell being the worst.

James Clawley, Bordell’s predecessor for Solar Time, especially Nubeo watches, although he should know about watches, he has quite a few years’ experience in various sales & promotion roles in the watch trade, even worked at Seiko UK for a few years, but he was more interested in exaggerating/over egging quality and reminiscing on past times with Mason than actually giving any worthwhile technical details, size and weight were his limits, another obsessed with weight, seems a common facter with "pretendy experts", oh and he also suffered the same “don’t mention China” affliction that Bordell suffers. Also came in before the demise of IW with his own watch brand, telling us how it took 6/12 months to design etc etc, great some achievement, only took 6/12 months to rebrand a watch on Ali express, which was actually originally designed in Germany.:oops:

Oh and finally the head low life shyster, Bordell, he’s actually the most knowledgeable of the lot, former owner of an online watch retail business (Page & Cooper Ltd) (Customers were given a horology version of the Rattan fiasco as well;)), yet spends most of his time, spewing misleading brand info and factually wrong info plus guilty of highly, highly over exaggerating quality and value of watches, another obsessed with weight. While he has a good grasp of various countries involved in watchmaking and brand origins, ie Switzerland, German, Russia, USA etc, for some strange reason the major country in his horology orbit, China has NEVER once been mentioned, seems averse to mentioning it. He was representing Dartmouth Brands/Solar Time on IW yet still managed to claim that the Chinese CCCP brand with Chinese Made watches was Russian and the watches were Russian made, great Russian engineering him and Peter Simon gleefully told us. Even went as far to shows us a ancient Slava movement parts book to show us many parts there were in the Russian made Slava S2427 movement which he claimed was in the Russian brand, CCCP’s Russian made “Gorky” watch they were selling on IW, shame that ASA agreed with me that the “Gorky” had a Seiko NH35 from TMI Hong Kong in it and that CCCP, nor their “Gorky” watch were neither a Russian Brand nor Russian made.

IMO he’s the worst of the lot, some are bad mainly due to ignorance, his is deliberate.

This is my non expert opinion of some of the watch experts I’ve seen on selly telly, some I can’t remember names but if I use the brand name then you’ll probably know who I’m speaking about, and as i keep saying, while i may know some stuff about watches i am far from an expert myself, but thankfully know enough to know when someone is bullshitting and lying.

Okay starting with a non IW, didn’t actually like the guy or his style, but he did seem to know some stuff, he was on the V channel, watch commander I think he called himself. There was also some Welsh lady, not sure why she was flogging watches but hey she seemed nice enough anyway.:ROFLMAO:

Seen a couple of watch shows on TJC, nobody (presenters) so far seems to know much about horology, apart from how to flog watches to the gullible, only “expert” is Papa Fields, enough said, although does explain Baby.:ROFLMAO:

Neil Morley, the Neil in your post, works for Time & More UK ltd, Brand promoters & Distributers, has 25 years’ experience in watch retail, seems knowledgeable, as well as Roamer they also do Orient watches (now made by Seiko Epson), why they didn’t promote/push them to IW is beyond me, far better than most of the Junk on IW. Only minot criticism of Neil was his gruff, gravelly voice, kinda made his presentation boring and hard to follow at times.

Accurist/Sekonda guy, assuming he works for Time Products Ltd, bit bland, obviously knowledgeable with the affordable market of Accurist, Sekonda, etc, not a lot technically to get into with those watches but seemed competent and likeable enough.

Baby Field, absolute bomb scare, knows **** all, and I mean **** all about watches or British WW2 history for that matter. Although gave us some of the funniest watch shows with some of his classic takes on WW2 history, ie Lancaster was a JET FIGHTER bomber, Zeppelin bombed London during the blitz, etc.:ROFLMAO:

David Anthony, Baby Fields replacement, a boring version of baby fields, an actor with the same level of horology knowledge, although he is better educated on British history.

Mike Beckingham, an alleged actor & watch expert for Anthony James (Field's watch brand), god knows why he was on as a watch expert knew absolutely nothing and added nothing to the show, probably just there as eye candy for the women viewers.:eek:

“all four corners of the Globe” Cunningham, actually knew a bit about watches but tended to concentrate on exaggerating/over egging quality especially with the fashion brands and very economical & misleading with some of his Swiss related info.

Kevski, actually one of the better experts for giving technical details about the watches, just a shame that most of it he was just repeating what he read or was told rather than really understanding most of the technical/horology aspects himself, ie his explanation of COSC certification was a hoot, he couldn’t even decipher the test certificate correctly and his explanation of what happens at the test labs was totally wrong, but at least he gave the specs.

Emma “Miss Precision” Boydell, she may claim to have many years of experience in the jewellery/watch arena, but judging her from her performances on IW, that experience was limited to Jewellery/Gem Stones, and next to none in horology, often states crap resultco watches compare favourably with her hubby's high end Swiss watch, although we've not been told what watch it is. Knows very little about watches, another that excels in overeaggeration of quality also obsessed with weight of a watch as sign of quality, some of the stuff she comes out with is hilarious, her description of how Shield watches got their “Pro Diver” certification was one, each Shield watch was sent to Switzerland and tested at the ISO labs in Geneva to pass the ISO 6425 standard. :ROFLMAO: ****** charalatan only just misses out on bottom spot due to Bordell being the worst.

James Clawley, Bordell’s predecessor for Solar Time, especially Nubeo watches, although he should know about watches, he has quite a few years’ experience in various sales & promotion roles in the watch trade, even worked at Seiko UK for a few years, but he was more interested in exaggerating/over egging quality and reminiscing on past times with Mason than actually giving any worthwhile technical details, size and weight were his limits, another obsessed with weight, seems a common facter with "pretendy experts", oh and he also suffered the same “don’t mention China” affliction that Bordell suffers. Also came in before the demise of IW with his own watch brand, telling us how it took 6/12 months to design etc etc, great some achievement, only took 6/12 months to rebrand a watch on Ali express, which was actually originally designed in Germany.:oops:

Oh and finally the head low life shyster, Bordell, he’s actually the most knowledgeable of the lot, former owner of an online watch retail business (Page & Cooper Ltd) (Customers were given a horology version of the Rattan fiasco as well;)), yet spends most of his time, spewing misleading brand info and factually wrong info plus guilty of highly, highly over exaggerating quality and value of watches, another obsessed with weight. While he has a good grasp of various countries involved in watchmaking and brand origins, ie Switzerland, German, Russia, USA etc, for some strange reason the major country in his horology orbit, China has NEVER once been mentioned, seems averse to mentioning it. He was representing Dartmouth Brands/Solar Time on IW yet still managed to claim that the Chinese CCCP brand with Chinese Made watches was Russian and the watches were Russian made, great Russian engineering him and Peter Simon gleefully told us. Even went as far to shows us a ancient Slava movement parts book to show us many parts there were in the Russian made Slava S2427 movement which he claimed was in the Russian brand, CCCP’s Russian made “Gorky” watch they were selling on IW, shame that ASA agreed with me that the “Gorky” had a Seiko NH35 from TMI Hong Kong in it and that CCCP, nor their “Gorky” watch were neither a Russian Brand nor Russian made.

IMO he’s the worst of the lot, some are bad mainly due to ignorance, his is deliberate.
Haven't you forgotten Eric Knowles lol I'm sure he did a watch show once it was car crash tv

Knowles’s televisual horror fest…It was best described for me as being so bad you had to hide behind the sofa and occasionally peep over the top at the horrors unfolding on the screen. They stuck him with Bordell who was about as much use to him as a concrete fairy cake. It looked like he was introduced to talkback live on air.

Knowles’s televisual horror fest…It was best described for me as being so bad you had to hide behind the sofa and occasionally peep over the top at the horrors unfolding on the screen. They stuck him with Bordell who was about as much use to him as a concrete fairy cake. It looked like he was introduced to talkback live on air.
is that available to view somewhere?

The Chamber of Horrors may have a copy. Honestly, Dr., you were fortunate to miss out.

What they should have done was to make him the expert and had a presenter like Mason with him to lead the show. Knowles, I suspect, rarely does talkback type shows in a presenting sense. He was just like several rabbits trapped in numerous headlights. Needless to say, we never saw him again on the channel.

The Chamber of Horrors may have a copy. Honestly, Dr., you were fortunate to miss out.

What they should have done was to make him the expert and had a presenter like Mason with him to lead the show. Knowles, I suspect, rarely does talkback type shows in a presenting sense. He was just like several rabbits trapped in numerous headlights. Needless to say, we never saw him again on the channel.
I remember when Bob Monkhouse was a guest presenter on the big breakfast he said later that he wasn't a fan of having the talkback in his ear, though he was so professional (and great improviser) you wouldn't have known. He said it distracted from his own thinking and working style. I know we take the piss but there is a skill to it

Top post.

And now they have no graphics because their computer has crashed…again. Is it supposed to be a professional television shopping channel? Does QVC’s graphics systems crash on a regular basis? What is the difference between the systems they use and what this channel uses? Two cans and some string?

Apparently, Ryes is leaving. Terrible news…not…And now the most cheap and nasty looking no weight to them representations of animals. The tiger looks like he walked off the Frosties box. The sort of thing Mum got free with OMO box tops in the 1970s.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back