Denim jackets in general

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mina

Registered Shopper
I'd never had a denim jacket until I bought Debbie Flint's Denim & Co one that she has in 4,535 colours, thinking it would do me for ever as regards denim jackets. (£54.87, ie £55). qvcuk.com/denim-%26-co-comfy-denim-style-jacket-collar.product.177300.html This is a LOT more than I normally pay but I got sucked in by the hype and the number of sales. I thought it had to be the answer.

Until I saw a clearance offer of another Denim & Co one, that is. I am a sucker for a bargain and this one, at a mere £29.91 (ie £30), was too good to miss. qvcuk.com/denim-%26-co-denim-jacket.product.404464.html

So fwiw, here is my worldly wisdom about both of these. The £50 one is nice but lighter in weight and texture, not a traditional denim material and a narrower fit than the £30 one. It is also slightly shorter, though it's just about okay (I'm on the tall side with long arms). It will definitely do for summer wear over a dress, which is what I wanted it for. OTOH, the £30 one is longer with longer sleeves and made of a traditional denim. I had problems opening some of the buttons so I had to use my unpicker to make the buttonholes easier to manipulate. No big deal, really. The £30 one is a bit heavier and boxier in shape, but that's made up for by the fact that it's longer, slightly roomier and covers the bum. And it fits over a winter jumper. (y) :love: So that one will do nicely for cooler weather, spring and autumn. And probably winter, too. But if you've got shorter arms, it will probably be too long.

All in all, I've now got what I wanted, but if I'd seen the £30 one first, I'd have bought that instead of the other one as well, but hey ho. I'll use both of them because one's dark blue and one's light blue anyway. I reckon after a couple of washes, the £30 one will be much softer, so I'm overall pleased. All colours and sizes are available.

Has anyone bought the same or any other denim jacket and what do you think?

Last edited:
I have a denim jacket from M&S which was deeply discounted. It fits, but it's a tad bit short. But the worst thing is the colour. No wonder it was on sale. It's hard to describe it. Maybe stagnant green water would give an idea. The photo of it showed khaki. However, I wear it occasionally. The big thing now are chore jackets. They come in various colours, including denim. On Amazon, the nicer ones are close to £100, so too pricey for me.

I've had the same dilemmas with denim jackets. For years I had a lightweight stretchy denim jacket which wasn't too short but wasn't too long, was great over dresses in summer and to wear on the more pleasant of spring days. Asda George I think it was, and I paid very little for it, but after about 10 years of service it started looking a bit thin in places and it started to look a bit grubby despite me keeping it regularly laundered so I got rid of it. I hastily bought a denim jacket from John Lewis's sale, it was a brand I'd not heard of (Iden) but it had been reduced from proper silly money down to £40. I say hastily because I could see it was a lot bulkier than the jacket I was replacing but I thought it would do me for the colder months too - It didn't, it wasn't warm at all. Not only that I felt like an old trucker when I wore it. I stuck with it for about a year or 2, but decided I wanted something more versatile. I checked out my catalogue and got brand excited when I saw a Barbour denim jacket going for a song. It looked less truckerish than the other one so I bought it, and I when it arrived and I tried it on, I kept looking at myself in the mirror, saying "yes?", "no?" and by the time I admitted to myself I still looked like an old trucker I'd left it far too late to return it. I ordered a lightweight denim jacket with a little peplum from QVC but that was no good, it looked strange as it was too long in the body, so I sent that back. I then picked up a little denim jacket for pennies in a charity shop to wear with my summer dresses, but it was a bit too short in the body and felt a bit boxy. I then ordered the "comfy" denim jacket from Q in the dark green, and I love it, so that 's a keeper, then I ordered Jackie Kabler's denim jacket with the detatchable collar in clearance....I absolutely love it btw. The two trucker jackets were donated. So I now have 3 - so it's a bit of a minefield really. Hit on the right denim jacket and you've got a friend for life (well the life of the jacket) otherwise you'll need more than one to cover all bases!

PS...My advice to anyone would be don't get addicted, especially when these jackets come in a multitude of colours, pick your favourite, or the one that will be most versatile and you can't go wrong!

I enjoyed your denim journey mina. I’ve never had a denim jacket either but I’ve tried a few on now and then. I don’t know if I’ll ever succumb but if I do I’ll definitely want stretch. Can’t bear feeling restricted in clothes. Sounds like you’ve got quite a taste for them now😁

I had denim jacket years back. A friend used to call me Status Quo. I prefer the casual suit like jacket now. Never buy the matching skirt or trousers, and do wear them with jeans. Usually from M&S as they are machine washable.

Love a denim jacket.
Always buy them to fit my shoulders as being busty, if I get them to do up they hang all wrong when undone. Think they look neater undone.
Currently have this one in grey and light denim blue (which they don’t seem to do any more).
Also have one my sister bought me from a charity shop. My niece used fabric paints to decorate the sleeves with large flowers . It’s lovely and gets much admired. She left the back plain, but am tempted to ask her to put a sunflower on it.
I’m in the market for a smart/casual jacket and am very tempted by this one. Like the fact that it doesn’t have a collar, so makes for a cleaner neckline if wearing with collared blouses.
I’ll probably dither, wait til it goes into clearance, then miss out on it.

I think the Denim & Co ones would be too long for me, more like a shirt. There's a RL pink one that I like but Ann Dorrington wears it or one like it and I just CANNOT be seen in anything that she would wear. I've one old cropped denim jacket that I got on Ebay for a couple of pounds and that does me fine.

CC

Denim skirts. Why do they put a zip on the front? If you haven't got a fairly flat belly, the bulkiness of the zip will do you no favours. Ben di Lisi does one and it goes to show that he really doesn't consider the middle area of a woman's body when he's designing. A side zip, back zip or no zip would be so much more flattering.

I think the Denim & Co ones would be too long for me, more like a shirt. There's a RL pink one that I like but Ann Dorrington wears it or one like it and I just CANNOT be seen in anything that she would wear. I've one old cropped denim jacket that I got on Ebay for a couple of pounds and that does me fine.

CC
I don't like Dorrington's choice of clothes, but she does a good job describing the products.

CC
Just been on the M & S app, looking for something. Noticed this...

Lots on this site which I`ve had plenty of bargains from. They sell branded goods which are either last years styles or from brands which have closed down or old stock. Brands such as Marks, Bon Marche, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis etc. They`ve had these denim jackets in for a while, right up to size 20 but now they only seem to have the smaller sizes left. It`s a site worth keeping an eye on and I`m lucky as we have one of their stores not too far away from us in Bury.

Latest posts

Back