diet product overload

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I have just read Catherine huntley's piece on the qvc website, about how she can't wait for the diet chef tsv tomorrow. Everyone has been asking her, apparently, how she lost all of her weight, and Kathy Tayler has also had success with it. It may just be me, but I cannot see how either presenter has lost any weight, aspecially Kathy; she looks as if she has put it on.

I get the impression that Catherine likes to hear herself talk about her weight. She used Paul McKenna's system, which was the best thing since sliced bread (pardon the pun), and now this diet chef is absolutely great. It appears that her opinion differs to suit whichever product she is selling.

Fortunately, I have never needed to diet and, therefore, use any of these types of products. QVC are just trying to make money by tapping into the emotions of people who are desperate to lose weight, and are finding it impossible to do so.

There is only one way to successfully lose weight and keep it off; that is to reduce your calorie intake. A little bit of exercise also helps. One does not need these products. Just a little bit of will power and common sense.

There is only one way to successfully lose weight and keep it off; that is to reduce your calorie intake.

Errrr scuse me, have the actually read about the diet?? It is based on reducing your calorie intake, isnt that what you just said would be the best way to lose weight? I think you contradict yourself. Do more research before engaging mouth.

So are you suppose to live on this stuff for the rest of your life?

All these meal replacement things look great and then you stop bang on goes all the weight plus some. Kirsty Alley if you look at her now after she stopped being the face of one of these type ranges.

i've just had a read of their website & some reviews that have been done elsewhere. looks like the 1200 cals is your base for the day then you can add fruit & veg to it, so it's not as restricted as i first thought.

actually, i think it's a good idea on the whole, the main thing i think i'd learn from it is portion size, which i know is my big (literally!) downfall. perhaps use something like this only short term just to get you into good habits.

didn't realise there was another thread on this, perhaps they could be merged? :)

I have just read Catherine huntley's piece on the qvc website, about how she can't wait for the diet chef tsv tomorrow. Everyone has been asking her, apparently, how she lost all of her weight, and Kathy Tayler has also had success with it. It may just be me, but I cannot see how either presenter has lost any weight, aspecially Kathy; she looks as if she has put it on.

I get the impression that Catherine likes to hear herself talk about her weight. She used Paul McKenna's system, which was the best thing since sliced bread (pardon the pun), and now this diet chef is absolutely great. It appears that her opinion differs to suit whichever product she is selling.

Fortunately, I have never needed to diet and, therefore, use any of these types of products. QVC are just trying to make money by tapping into the emotions of people who are desperate to lose weight, and are finding it impossible to do so.

There is only one way to successfully lose weight and keep it off; that is to reduce your calorie intake. A little bit of exercise also helps. One does not need these products. Just a little bit of will power and common sense.

That's what people who don't need to diet, always say. I can assure you that even with vast reserves of will power and common sense, some people's bodies resist losing weight, it's not all about calorie intake. Often, it's about finding the right diet for you. I eventually discovered that I wasn't consuming enough calories, even on sensible well-known diet plans. Low carb, high fat works for me - it certainly doesn't work for, or appeal to, everyone. I am not, and never have been, a couch potato either, so please don't jump to conclusions.

As for this diet plan, It wouldn't appeal to me and I think it's a hard regime to follow for months. However, it's what many of the rich and famous do and many like to emulate them by copying beauty regimes, exercise plans etc., this is no different. My only gripe, apart from the expense is that it isn't the Lifestyle change needed to lose weight and keep it off, but it's handy for people who want all the thinking done for them.

I don't know much about the Diet Chef diet but I do agree with the original poster that Catherine and Kathy don't look any different to me.

If all it takes is a bit of willpower and some common sense why are there all these people who are desperate to lose weight but cannot?

In theory, when you are on the outside looking in, it is easy to lose weight. As you say you have never needed to diet that's how you see it but obviously it's not that easy or everyone would be successful in losing weight.

I suppose you could say QVC are tapping into people's emotions to get them to buy this but it's no different from all the beauty products that are meant to be anti-ageing.

I've never though Catherine has really looked like she needs to lose weight but sometimes when she has been on QVC recently I have thought she has looked very slim. I suppose we will see when they do the before and after for the TSV.

Personally I wouldn't buy this but I'm sure there are other people who will buy and will be happy with it.

I don't need to diet and if I do put on a couple of pounds I find it easy to lose it. I do smoke though and I equate people who say 'it's just about eating less and exercising more' to people who say to me 'just stub it out and chew some gum'. It's very easy for a non-addict to tell us what to do. If it were that simple, we'd have done it by now and wouldn't need to try Paul McKenna's ''stop smoking or 'think yourself thin' or any one of the million products that we try, hoping it's the one.

I am small and fat. Just after easter I took a bad chest infection which went on for some time. Then developed a bladder infection from all the antibiotics and steriods. So my pee was tested and next thing I am told is I have type two diabetes. I need to control it with diet. So I have been attending appointments with the doctor, diabetic nurse and dietisian(sp). I have managed so far to lost a stone, I do not get on the scales(infact don't own any) and and professionals don't weigh me alot. But what I was told you need to read the labels on food. What I have discovered is rather strange. All these foods which scream low fat are actually then it turns out high in sugar and salt. Its the whole package you need to make sure what the sugar content is and the salt too. Its all about educating yourself to stop and think what you put in your mouth before it goes in there. I am allowed treats once a week, mine is a real curry on saturday and a few glasses of wine.

So what are the salt and sugar content of these Diet Chiefs? Yes add fruit in your diet, but that is also full of sugar too. Will after a while you get bored and have no leaway to move outside this plan?

I knew before the diabetes I was far too heavy and very unhappy. But it did not stop me eating crap. I was told yes of course you can still eat crap but do it as a treat and not as a daily routine.

If a diet really worked it would be THE DIET and we all would go on it when we needed. Oh and I will say not one presenter on QVC really needs to diet in anyway. They are not fat by any sense of the word.

But what I was told you need to read the labels on food. What I have discovered is rather strange. All these foods which scream low fat are actually then it turns out high in sugar and salt. Its the whole package you need to make sure what the sugar content is and the salt too.

So right Donna - I started looking more carefully at labels when I had first gallstones & had to be on a very low fat diet - I was also quite shocked at what I found, some 'low fat' foods, even slimming type ones, often had an equally high (or even higher!) calorific content that the standard varieties & some of the most shocking examples were things like supposedly 'healthy option' cereals & such like......!
(Is one of the reasons we now cook virtually everything from scratch, so we know exactly what's in it!)

Agree with you both girls, I'm a type II diabetes gal mayself, theres so much added sugar in things, it's silly. Sugar is the one food we do not need but it's in abundance in most foods. Classic thing is special K, low fat promoted as healthy eating but FULL of sugar. Then your advised not to eat product with aspartame much as well. I try and cook alot of things from scratch (as you do Kitten with claws) but that doesn't solve all meal choices.

I see that Diet chef do a diabeteic option but theres no way I could justify that when I have the rest of the family to feed on a very limited budget.

So what are the salt and sugar content of these Diet Chiefs? Yes add fruit in your diet, but that is also full of sugar too. Will after a while you get bored and have no leaway to move outside this plan?

Here's your answer, this lists all the ingredients and nutritional values.

http://www.dietchef.co.uk/the-food/ingredients/

Although they have changed supplier and there was a cock up with the mushroom stroganoff and it was made with double cream instead of single cream and they hadnt updated their website (although on the packets it listed the double cream). No wonder it tastes so nice!
They are reverting back to the single cream now though.

Will after a while you get bored and have no leaway to move outside this plan?

If you read the other threads you will see that this has been discussed a few times. Also my meal plans and variations and I have still lost 5lbs in one and a half weeks (and I do not have a lot to lose as wanted to lose 10lbs so half way there).

If you read the other threads you will see that this has been discussed a few times. Also my meal plans and variations and I have still lost 5lbs in one and a half weeks (and I do not have a lot to lose as wanted to lose 10lbs so half way there).

Sorry Choppysocks, but that is too much weight far too quickly. The dietian has told me the ideal is half a stone in a month to six weeks.

Sorry Choppysocks, but that is too much weight far too quickly. The dietian has told me the ideal is half a stone in a month to six weeks.

...and that's what it will probably settle down to - most people lose a bit more at the start of a diet. I lost 9 lbs my first week, then it settled down to about 1, occasionally 2 pounds a week, and it has stayed at that.

Latest posts

Back