Breaking news - the Csarite Mine is closed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

puffin48

Registered Shopper
Just switched on and seen them in a panic cause the Csarite Mine has been closed unexpectedly so what do Gems do, have hours selling the stuff off. Surely if the mine is closed it will gain in value so why flog if off now or are they just trying to panic people into buying the stuff because they've got loads in the vault and as if by magic, another mine will be found and opened. Its like Tanzanite, that was supposed to have run out years ago.

Am I being cynical.

You're definitely not being cynical. If you watch the clip on their FB page carefully, AD says outright that it might only be temporary. I can't find anything on Google about it either. As you say, as with Tanzanite, Sleeping Beauty Turquoise and probably others, retailers will have stocked up.

I have yet to see a piece of Turkish Diaspore from Gems that impressed me. They may have in their Arthur Ivy collection but the colour shift is only really noticeable in larger sizes - something even Gems has said on Feefo in response to a bad review. Rocks & Co got it right in that respect. Ok, so their prices were strong but the 3 way colour shift was obvious in the studio. I've never seen it on Gems. Probably just me but I prefer Andalusite.

OMG, you would think the Queen had died by the replies on Angeline's facebook page. Get a grip people. Its not the end of the world

Its just another sales ploy in my opinion ..Tanzanite ,Sleeping Beauty Turqoise to name two.Then they sell tons of the stuff at rock bottom prices .I think if mines are closed then the gems they have left should be increasing in price .All the jewellery channels do it.

The only thing I know of that is no longer sold is Coral because its now protected in law.

I have looked and also cannot find any info' on the mine closing. If they are saying this to boost sales then it's another reason I wouldn't buy.Do they think we can't read? I am not really bothered whether or not I have any Czarite as the larger carat weights of any quality are too expensive as it's not a favourite stone of mine.I like the colour play within Andalusite .I would really like lots of Alexandrite !

Last edited:
I am not keen on Czarite either.

Does Steve own part of the Czarite mine? I thought a few years back, if memory serves me right, that he said he loved the stone and so 'bought the mine'.

I am not keen on Czarite either.

Does Steve own part of the Czarite mine? I thought a few years back, if memory serves me right, that he said he loved the stone and so 'bought the mine'.

According to my research a man called Murat owns the mine containing the Diaspore. Czarite and Zultanite are both trade marked names for the stone which are owned by Gemporia.Whether they own a part of the mine or have bought rights to mine a specific area I couldn't see.

According to my research a man called Murat owns the mine containing the Diaspore. Czarite and Zultanite are both trade marked names for the stone which are owned by Gemporia.Whether they own a part of the mine or have bought rights to mine a specific area I couldn't see.

Yep. Zultanite (Worldwide), Csarite (TGGC only) and Turkizite (TJC group) are all the same gem from the same location. Murat disassociated himself from the various trademarks recently and now refers to it simply as Turkish Diaspore. Diaspore is not unique to Turkey and, although the three brand names are just commercial stuff and nonsense, they do provide some assurance that the variety of Diaspore that you're buying is from that location in Turkey and has those colour shift properties.

Well good luck to them as they stake their claims and put their brand names onto the stones . I'm sure some customers will be buying in bulk'just in case'.I won't .

Last edited:
They've got previous for this sort of thing. Years ago, presenter Angeline came on telling us that there was going to be an export embargo on opals, and that Gems might not be able to feature them again, yada, yada, yada. Since then, I've not noticed Ethiopian or any type of Australian opals disappearing, they are freely available on Gems and other websites. I think the answer could be that they have a Csarite overstock in their vaults - it can't be a coincidence that a month or so ago they were having regular Csarite shows, to the point where a supposedly 'rare' commodity was on nearly every day of the week, either as individuals pieces or whole hours! Could it be that there was a 'push' on, to get rid of it? I can't say it would be the end of the world to me if there was no more Csarite - a pretty stone with a definite colour change, but not a stone I'd rave over.

Just switched on and seen them in a panic cause the Csarite Mine has been closed unexpectedly so what do Gems do, have hours selling the stuff off. Surely if the mine is closed it will gain in value so why flog if off now or are they just trying to panic people into buying the stuff because they've got loads in the vault and as if by magic, another mine will be found and opened. Its like Tanzanite, that was supposed to have run out years ago.

Am I being cynical.

Steve Bennett always referred to Murat as the owner of the mine, and Murat has been to England on several occasions, featuring on Gems talking about the stone and the mining operations.

Czarite doesn do it for me either,i like something with colour in it and unless you buy a large stone i would think its going to rather pale, as for the mine closing well i cant find anything on the internet that is telling me so, sounds like a sales ploy to me from a getting desperate company whose sales are falling,maybe due to the wasted money spent on trying to expand and the ever changing policies and formats,personally i wouldnt trust anything a presenter said as its all fed down the earpiece from the sales manager.

Czarite doesn do it for me either,i like something with colour in it and unless you buy a large stone i would think its going to rather pale, as for the mine closing well i cant find anything on the internet that is telling me so, sounds like a sales ploy to me from a getting desperate company whose sales are falling,maybe due to the wasted money spent on trying to expand and the ever changing policies and formats,personally i wouldnt trust anything a presenter said as its all fed down the earpiece from the sales manager.

Its never appealed to me either. I couldn't believe the hysteria that night when I switched on and saw behind the presenter MINE CLOSED and then Jim came on all flustered saying what an unexpected shock it was so lets sell like mad.

Now surely people aren't gullible enough to be sucked in. My first thought was, that they must have got loads to get rid of so that was their ploy to do it. I doubt anyone outside of Gems knows anything about the stone. I cant imagine the likes of Hinds of Samuels stocking it

Latest posts

Back