Gems Birthday - Glenn Lehrer TorusRing Show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndyW

Registered Shopper
Well, I decided that the Glenn Lehrer show was one to look at. Luckily, all the items are visible as "pre-orders".

Disappointed though. No new gents designs & 90% of the stones are coated topaz (just not a treatment I buy into). Is that telling? Why not many true colour gems?

Will have to check out his new Quasar Cut collection later in the Birthday fortnight - although the reviews of that cut are mixed...

It won't suprise you to know that I really don't understand why Glen Lehrer sticks with Gemporia. I know that his skills lie in the development and training of others to create his cuts but why he accepts that he needs to work with gems that are coloured only because they are coated with chemical films is just shocking. Certainly undermines him as a brand in my opinion

Well, that saved me money. Every one of the new Quasar cut collection uses coated topaz.

Caught a bit of the show the other night, he was showing this large perfect piece of Amertrine (sp) which he had cut. Of course it was not going to be made into anything as it he said was perfect.

Then next thing out came the fabulous amazing Mystic Topaz. Oh, thought I. Isn't that just coated topaz? Not according to what the blond presenter was going on about, she was nearly dripping over the pieces:mysmilie_17: I do love the look of some of his ranges but I just could not bring myself to pay £200 for a ring.

And the theme continues with the Wobito snowflake cut on Saturday afternoon. Although there are 'non fake' gems like ametrine and prasiolite most is SI Brazilian colourless topaz coated with metallic films to give it colour

Caught a bit of the show the other night, he was showing this large perfect piece of Amertrine (sp) which he had cut. Of course it was not going to be made into anything as it he said was perfect.

Then next thing out came the fabulous amazing Mystic Topaz. Oh, thought I. Isn't that just coated topaz? Not according to what the blond presenter was going on about, she was nearly dripping over the pieces:mysmilie_17: I do love the look of some of his ranges but I just could not bring myself to pay £200 for a ring.

I caught that bit. His piece of ametrine was to die for. If he ever sold it, that would be big bucks. Wouldn't be surprised if it was $10,000-$20,000.

I'm afraid I can't take much of Kate McCarthy so, once I saw what was scheduled for the hour, I hopped off.

And the theme continues with the Wobito snowflake cut on Saturday afternoon. Although there are 'non fake' gems like ametrine and prasiolite most is SI Brazilian colourless topaz coated with metallic films to give it colour

Thanks for this Bristol. I forgot about the hour & might have been tempted to buy a Christmas present but I don't feel so bad now.

I bought a QuasarCut last year (the last thing I bought from Gems), when the design first came out, and I was not disappointed with it, BUT I deliberately didn't buy when the design was launched, as I felt all of the pieces were overpriced. I waited until I spotted the range later, when they had reduced the prices for a special event, and got one then. I was a bit worried I'd be getting one that someone had sent back with a fault or something, but it was perfect when it arrived, as was a previous Lehrer purchase (a TorusRing pendant, bought 4 years ago and worn to death since). Trust me, the beauty of the Quasarcut shows best in a lighter coloured stone (my one is in pink amethyst), as from what I've seen on screen, the dark stones just don't do it justice, and the cut is clearly visible in my one.

What I liked about the Lehrer range was that the rings have a decent band of gold - not the sewing thread width bands that Gems usually flog, but a really good weight - my one feels chunky on my finger and has just over 3 grams of gold, which I like. What you are normally paying for with Lehrer isn't the value of the stones, because they are not expensive ones. It's (a) the Lehrer name and (b) the cut itself: the stones are all ones that are commonplace, and sadly, I've noticed that he seems to be moving towards using more and more coated stones - which I don't like and wouldn't buy, so that's a bad move for him and, as has been said, it devalues the brand. For me, I've got a Lehrer ring and a pendant, and that's all I want - I cannot understand why they talk about collectors who have bought 30 of the same range, but in different gemstones. To me, that's just repeato ditto. I bought because I liked the cuts and the gemstones, and I got them in special event hours, so I didn't pay the original prices. Now, I wouldn't buy any more. Enough.

I watched Lehrer's latest range last night - the Man in the Moon cut - and I HATED it - looked really tacky and cheap to me, although of course everyone will have their own opinions. My advice would be if you want one of his designs for your collection, don't buy when a new Lehrer range is launched - they'll get cheaper. I think they trade on the fact that there are fanatical Lehrer collectors out there, and they play up to making you worry that you won't get the piece you want, because everyone will get there before you. They make their money by encouraging people to think this might happen.

Thanks for this Bristol. I forgot about the hour & might have been tempted to buy a Christmas present but I don't feel so bad now.

I agree, Bristol - his move towards relying on coated stones is a bad move. His original pieces also had very good gold weights - will he be cutting down on this next as well?

I hate to be the doomsayer but they are doing the Kaleidoscut at the moment, which is a Glen Lehrer only 1.69g of gold and the other rings i think are similar gold weight, what a shame.

Latest posts

Back