Breaking news.-Gems USA and The Diamond Room closed down.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

missmarple

Registered Shopper
As above,both the above channels have officially closed down,details can be read on Gemporia facebook page.Personally i cant say i am surprised,though i do feel for the american viewers as this is the second time Mr.Bennett has opened studios in the states and then closed them down again,this time apparantly five presenters in four months have walked,one due to idealogical differences. Gemporia are partly blaming costly overheads outweighing orders,sorry but as a so called business man arent you supposed to work that out before you jump in with both feet and not afterwards.I rather think this is down to Bennetts ego over riding sound business sence, he doesnt seem to be able to focus on good customer service and quality and is constantly fiddling with expansion,i dread to think how much money has been wasted and how many customers have walked since all the changes since january this year, i feel for the staff.

Totally agree, I used to be a big fan of Gems TV but of late I hardly ever watch and never buy, surely Steve can bring back the joy, same old,same old rhetoric, presenters waving their arms around, even Steve sounds exactly the same as he did 10 years ago. He used to tell presenters to just be themselves, well at the moment they need to calm down and bring products which are new and exciting.
Am I getting old, yes but that doesn't mean I'm not right?

This was on the cards, so comes as no surprise. As you rightly say, he should have done his homework before opening the studios the second time around. He obviously didn't do this, or didn't listen to the research or feedback. And the Diamond Room had disaster written all over it from the beginning - the items were too expensive for most people, and the format was slow and laboured. The fact is that you can get diamond rings with as good, if not better specifications elsewhere, and with more gold in the shank (Gems rings are becoming well-known for the thinness of their gold shanks) - and the prices are cheaper. Gems badly need a wake-up call - they have lost a lot of well-known and respected presenters - Scott Worsfold, Fiona Egan, Liv Edmonds to name just a few - and IMO some of the existing presenters have an attitude of superiority and arrogance at times (yes, Angeline, I do mean you). Surely Mr Bennett will be finished now in the USA - who would buy from Gems USA after their past performance? I think you've mentioned an important point when you talk about Steve Bennett's ego - look at the farce of creating a "coat of arms"! What benefits exactly did the customer gain from the company suddenly deciding to create their own coat of arms? All it seemed to be was an ego-trip for the Bennetts, so why should the customers be jumping up and down with glee because there's a silly coat of arms on the letterheading? Stop trying (and failing) to take over the world, Gemporia, and start giving attention to keeping the few good presenters you have left. Tell Angeline to pipe down and stop acting as though she owns the channel, admit when you've badly messed-up and (as you say) concentrate on quality, good value and some innovative designs. Customers are not stupid - we recognise when prices are going up in order to finance expansion plans that go nowhere, and they will vote with their feet. Steve Bennett would do better to ask for advice for the people who post on here - we have much more common sense and business acumen.

As above,both the above channels have officially closed down,details can be read on Gemporia facebook page.Personally i cant say i am surprised,though i do feel for the american viewers as this is the second time Mr.Bennett has opened studios in the states and then closed them down again,this time apparantly five presenters in four months have walked,one due to idealogical differences. Gemporia are partly blaming costly overheads outweighing orders,sorry but as a so called business man arent you supposed to work that out before you jump in with both feet and not afterwards.I rather think this is down to Bennetts ego over riding sound business sence, he doesnt seem to be able to focus on good customer service and quality and is constantly fiddling with expansion,i dread to think how much money has been wasted and how many customers have walked since all the changes since january this year, i feel for the staff.

This was on the cards, so comes as no surprise. As you rightly say, he should have done his homework before opening the studios the second time around. He obviously didn't do this, or didn't listen to the research or feedback. And the Diamond Room had disaster written all over it from the beginning - the items were too expensive for most people, and the format was slow and laboured. The fact is that you can get diamond rings with as good, if not better specifications elsewhere, and with more gold in the shank (Gems rings are becoming well-known for the thinness of their gold shanks) - and the prices are cheaper. Gems badly need a wake-up call - they have lost a lot of well-known and respected presenters - Scott Worsfold, Fiona Egan, Liv Edmonds to name just a few - and IMO some of the existing presenters have an attitude of superiority and arrogance at times (yes, Angeline, I do mean you). Surely Mr Bennett will be finished now in the USA - who would buy from Gems USA after their past performance? I think you've mentioned an important point when you talk about Steve Bennett's ego - look at the farce of creating a "coat of arms"! What benefits exactly did the customer gain from the company suddenly deciding to create their own coat of arms? All it seemed to be was an ego-trip for the Bennetts, so why should the customers be jumping up and down with glee because there's a silly coat of arms on the letterheading? Stop trying (and failing) to take over the world, Gemporia, and start giving attention to keeping the few good presenters you have left. Tell Angeline to pipe down and stop acting as though she owns the channel, admit when you've badly messed-up and (as you say) concentrate on quality, good value and some innovative designs. Customers are not stupid - we recognise when prices are going up in order to finance expansion plans that go nowhere, and they will vote with their feet. Steve Bennett would do better to ask for advice for the people who post on here - we have much more common sense and business acumen.

I think that they need to take a good hard look at the whole thing. As you say they have lost some really good presenters and from the ones left I can only watch Ellis and Lynn (they will be losing her soon). The others are just manic. I loved Jim but even he has got desperate with his jumping up and down. This is one way to put people off purchasing. I very rarely buy now and nothing over £20!! I do agree with you about Angeline - she does have such a superior attitude. I reckon her and Nick are probably the golden couple and have some sort of hold over the Bennetts. We have already covered Adina and wont go there any more!! Rae is ok but I don't very often catch her.

At the moment they seem to be offloading Csartite for some reason and when they mention Singida Tanzanian Zircon I feel like screaming.

I wouldn't like to see Gems fold but they need a reality check otherwise they will.

Totally agree and what is most shameful of all is that no announcement was made of the closures from Mr.Bennett both channels vanished and due to customers asking what the hell was going on they were finally forced into announcing it on gemporia facebook,the great Mr.Bennett has not answered customer complaints or made any announcements on his own facebook or anywhere else to the best of my knowledge,great customer service eh.As i am incapacitated at present with back problems i read some of the usa presenters facebook pages today and basically the team they set up didn really get the manager back up and input needed for a new venture especially when things were not going well.Some usa customers are saying he lacks integrity and will no longer purchase from his company,well you cant blame them for being angry.

Since it started I've only ever watched in total about five minutes of this channel, don't get me wrong I do like jewellery it's migraines I don't like, caused by the format of manic style screeching, faux excitement of the presenters which I couldn't stand, I just couldn't watch. They'd have been better just putting a picture on screen every five minutes of the different pieces of jewellery instead of these inane, manic presenters and as for Mr Bent, sorry Bennett, he came off as one of the most disingenuous men I've ever seen on Tv, with his pretty wife with the huge diamond engagement and wedding ring, the massive mansion of his that he couldn't help but show off in a magazine, and all that with hardly any profit margin? amazing! He actually makes Simon Biagi look genuine, honest and trustworthy.

I only hop in and out of the channel.i don't like the screeching .

I think all jewellery channels are suffering at the moment because of the explosion of competition online .Q has practically given up apart from costume jewellery.IW the same.

Rocks has also undergone big change becoming an 'outlet ' site.

They cannot all survive.

I agree with quite a bit of the above - the manic, screeching presenters (possibly aimed at a younger age group, the majority of the crew seem to be school leavers), the apparent ego of some presenters (yes, Angeline) and the coat of arms was laughable. I also really disliked their ad campaign destroying fake jewellery - what a ridiculous waste, somebody might like it (at the very least give it to children for their dress up boxes if you are too snobby now to wear it) and I found it quite disturbing for some reason. From the start I thought the diamonds they offer are dire. To say that it doesn't matter that a diamond is an I3 is ridiculous, but Steve and his team have always plugged their diamonds as wonderful and 'ice white' even though they look cloudy and dull. No wonder the Diamond Room didn't work. I have no idea why Gems USA folded so quickly, but many companies lose quality control and personal customer care when they expand too much. It would be lovely to go back to the Gems of old.

I don't think there's any chance the "old" Gems will re-surface. Steve Bennett has proved that he just doesn't listen to complaints or do his homework before making yet another attempt to take over somewhere. I feel sorry for the USA presenters who are out of a job, Bennett should feel ashamed of himself and the very least he could have done was to be upfront with his so-called "valued customers" and make a proper announcement - if the complaints on facebook and other social media was what forced them into it then it's disgusting. I will certainly not be buying from this channel, as at present I don't think they are in a good place financially. The air of desperation and panic in the presenters' selling techniques is a dead give-away. I hope Steve Bennett - or someone from the compay - reads this forum. Perhaps if they do, they could come on here and answer some of the criticisms? Put their money where their mouth is?

I agree with quite a bit of the above - the manic, screeching presenters (possibly aimed at a younger age group, the majority of the crew seem to be school leavers), the apparent ego of some presenters (yes, Angeline) and the coat of arms was laughable. I also really disliked their ad campaign destroying fake jewellery - what a ridiculous waste, somebody might like it (at the very least give it to children for their dress up boxes if you are too snobby now to wear it) and I found it quite disturbing for some reason. From the start I thought the diamonds they offer are dire. To say that it doesn't matter that a diamond is an I3 is ridiculous, but Steve and his team have always plugged their diamonds as wonderful and 'ice white' even though they look cloudy and dull. No wonder the Diamond Room didn't work. I have no idea why Gems USA folded so quickly, but many companies lose quality control and personal customer care when they expand too much. It would be lovely to go back to the Gems of old.

Gems have completely lost their way, this is the problem. And I absolutely agree with what you say about the manic presenters - they now resemble Vicky of Rocks & Co. who sounds like a warthog in distress. Back in 2008/09, they were OK and the jewellery was good value, then Bennett sold the company and it became absolutely dire under the new owners, then he bought it back and for a time it wasn't too bad, but it deteriorated as soon as he went on an ego trip. Opening new studios abroad, designing a company "coat of arms" which was a total joke, boasting about his son taking time off to become a pilot, allowing presenters like Angeline to become too cocky and superior while other well-respected presenters left in droves - all of these are signs that his business acumen is sorely lacking, IMO, and he's taken his eye off the ball. If this channel carries on as it is, it will follow the fate of Bid. I'd like to see someone from the company coming on to this forum to answer some of the criticisms. Irritating your customers is not a good business model.

Since it started I've only ever watched in total about five minutes of this channel, don't get me wrong I do like jewellery it's migraines I don't like, caused by the format of manic style screeching, faux excitement of the presenters which I couldn't stand, I just couldn't watch. They'd have been better just putting a picture on screen every five minutes of the different pieces of jewellery instead of these inane, manic presenters and as for Mr Bent, sorry Bennett, he came off as one of the most disingenuous men I've ever seen on Tv, with his pretty wife with the huge diamond engagement and wedding ring, the massive mansion of his that he couldn't help but show off in a magazine, and all that with hardly any profit margin? amazing! He actually makes Simon Biagi look genuine, honest and trustworthy.

Last edited:
Gems have completely lost their way, this is the problem. Back in 2008/09, they were OK and the jewellery was good value, then Bennett sold the company and it became absolutely dire under the new owners, then he bought it back and for a time it wasn't too bad, but it deteriorated as soon as he went on an ego trip. Opening new studios abroad, designing a company "coat of arms" which was a total joke, boasting about his son taking time off to become a pilot, allowing presenters like Angeline to become too cocky and superior while other well-respected presenters left in droves - all of these are signs that his business acumen is sorely lacking, IMO, and he's taken his eye off the ball. If this channel carries on as it is, it will follow the fate of Bid. I'd like to see someone from the company coming on to this forum to answer some of the criticisms. Irritating your customers is not a good business model.

Couldn't agree more, I remember when it first started and I can't remember it being all screechy, then one day the name changed.......and that was it. The coat of arms things just implies he's up his own arse, and a proper businessman would know, when you've sold out, never brag what luxury you or your family are living in, or are doing off customers hard earned money, may as well put the closed sign up and turn off the lights, as he's now found out.

A friend has a habit of putting Gems on in the background. So I sit and look and say,"What is the gold weight?" Then laugh when I see it. My friend even said the other day she was watching they sold a massive stone with a gold weight of 1.15! Tin would be thicker! Haven't bought in years from the channel, but still have some great pieces from long ago.

Angeline and her side kick the strange woman in the woolie hats going on about free food sent to them. The its Panto season all year round, "This can't be the price!!! Oh yes it is!" The bimbos who ramble on for what feels like 3 hours before actually showing you anything. Adina with the low cut tops and bouncing boobs in your face as she rambles on and and on. The fake nails and rag nails on close ups of the said bimbos(hey you are meant to be professionals), looks gross!

missmarple, sorry to hear about your back problems, and hope you feel better soon. Your comments are spot-on and I can well understand how some of the USA customers feel - would you trust someone who has set up channels and then closed them down? His name must be mud in the States and I wonder what his pal, Glenn Lehrer, thinks about it all - it couldn't have done him any favours by association.

Totally agree and what is most shameful of all is that no announcement was made of the closures from Mr.Bennett both channels vanished and due to customers asking what the hell was going on they were finally forced into announcing it on gemporia facebook,the great Mr.Bennett has not answered customer complaints or made any announcements on his own facebook or anywhere else to the best of my knowledge,great customer service eh.As i am incapacitated at present with back problems i read some of the usa presenters facebook pages today and basically the team they set up didn really get the manager back up and input needed for a new venture especially when things were not going well.Some usa customers are saying he lacks integrity and will no longer purchase from his company,well you cant blame them for being angry.

Angeline is a major irritation - and why is that woolie hat woman allowed to continually muscle in on the proceedings? Which of the other presenters drag on their producer nearly every day? Answer = none of them, apart from Angeline. Angeline seems to think she can do as she likes - the Bennetts should pull her into line. Her husband (Nick) seems an inoffensive, quite pleasant guy, but she is on an ego trip, always reading out messages that tell her how "beautiful" she is looking. She seems to have her own sycophants group, similar to certain presenters on Q, and it's blurdy boring and totally insincere in most cases.:yawn:

A friend has a habit of putting Gems on in the background. So I sit and look and say,"What is the gold weight?" Then laugh when I see it. My friend even said the other day she was watching they sold a massive stone with a gold weight of 1.15! Tin would be thicker! Haven't bought in years from the channel, but still have some great pieces from long ago.

Angeline and her side kick the strange woman in the woolie hats going on about free food sent to them. The its Panto season all year round, "This can't be the price!!! Oh yes it is!" The bimbos who ramble on for what feels like 3 hours before actually showing you anything. Adina with the low cut tops and bouncing boobs in your face as she rambles on and and on. The fake nails and rag nails on close ups of the said bimbos(hey you are meant to be professionals), looks gross!

Angeline is a major irritation - and why is that woolie hat woman allowed to continually muscle in on the proceedings? Which of the other presenters drag on their producer nearly every day? Answer = none of them, apart from Angeline. Angeline seems to think she can do as she likes - the Bennetts should pull her into line. Her husband (Nick) seems an inoffensive, quite pleasant guy, but she is on an ego trip, always reading out messages that tell her how "beautiful" she is looking. She seems to have her own sycophants group, similar to certain presenters on Q, and it's blurdy boring and totally insincere in most cases.:yawn:

Have to chuckle to myself when they say about the phone line named after Angeline - what a load of carp. Sheridan is the one in the woolie hat - she always looks as though she has been dragged through a hedge backwards. I only switch on when Ive got 10 minutes to kill between programmes. Lynn is on at the moment and she doesnt revert to shouting and I don't mind watching her. The rest just wear me out with their antics. As you say, it would be good if the PTB at Gems read this forum. However, they probably only read what they want to instead of what they ought to.

Lynn seems pleasant enough, but I can't listen to her either because she never, ever, ever stops talking, it's as though she doesn't even draw breath and she comes out with the same expressions (everyone pays the final, low price etc.) constantly, it exhausts me just to listen to her.
People from Gemporia might still read these threads, but I don't think the PTB will ever comment on here again. Years ago they were very active on here, but then there was a major fall out and Steve Bennett stated that he was finished with the site. Can't remember what it was about though.

Agree about Gems. All that whooping and hollering - give it a rest. Nearly every time I switch on it is tanzanite. I am so over tanzanite. I don't like Csarite either.

The coat of arms was a 'who cares' moment.

I just want to sit and watch a pleasant hour with no over the top hysterics, no Sheridan, no 'this price can't be right - are you sure the price is correct' crap, horrible nails, waving arms around, faux excitement. I just want quality jewellery, presented in a professional manner. And don't get me started on Adina.

Anyway it is not going to happen.

Anna, so agree with you. If tanzanite is so rare why is it on every 5 minutes, and how come Gems and TJC can do whole days of the stuff? I have bought from Gems in the past and had no issues with them that they haven't resolved very quickly and in my favour, but I can't defend Steve Bennett's poor business sense, which seems to stem from his ever-increasing ego. Opening up and then closing a channel in the USA not once, but twice, will do him no favours whatsoever in that country - they have long memories and I would think his name is well and truly 'Mud' out there. As for The Diamond Room, it made you feel comatose watching it, no interaction, no spark, no excitement, just slow to the point of coming to a halt. I can now see why for the past month or so Angeline Davies has been urging people to also view The Diamond Room - she probably knew her husband's presenting job was about to disappear (although he seems to have transferred to Gems UK now). I feel for the US presenters who are out of a job - at least one of them could come and replace Adina, as she is still dire. I hope when Steve looks at his self-indulgent Coat of Arms logo, he spares a thought for the presenters out of work. I certainly won't be buying from Gems in future, as I'm unhappy with the business decisions of those at the top.

Agree about Gems. All that whooping and hollering - give it a rest. Nearly every time I switch on it is tanzanite. I am so over tanzanite. I don't like Csarite either.

The coat of arms was a 'who cares' moment.

I just want to sit and watch a pleasant hour with no over the top hysterics, no Sheridan, no 'this price can't be right - are you sure the price is correct' crap, horrible nails, waving arms around, faux excitement. I just want quality jewellery, presented in a professional manner. And don't get me started on Adina.

Anyway it is not going to happen.

I remember in December 2014, the presenters were seemingly instructed to mention that nothing had come out of the tanzanite mine for about 18 months (with the implication that it could run out soon)..... yet they are still selling it today.

What a farce.

mr tom, there was similar scaremongering a year or so ago with opal. I clearly remember Angeline saying that there was going to be tighter regulation on opals being exported from certain country/countries. Yet there are still loads of opals - including Ethiopian opals - for sale nearly every day it seems. Tanzanite has been a blatant con, in my opinion, both from the point of view of its supposed rarity and the implication that it will increase in value in the future because of this. In my opinion, the only Tanzanite that could possibly increase in value in years to come will be the high specification very dark Tanzanite, not the lighter stones which are cheaper. I think you have to take everything they say with a huge pinch of salt - sure, if you like the stone, buy it, but ignore the scaremongering.

I remember in December 2014, the presenters were seemingly instructed to mention that nothing had come out of the tanzanite mine for about 18 months (with the implication that it could run out soon)..... yet they are still selling it today.

What a farce.

Latest posts

Back