More Presenter Drivel - Dire Paraiba

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

M

Meeshoo

Guest Shopper
Dearie me. Don't know the name of the presenter but she was DESPERATELY trying to flog a PT pendant with 0.94ct of PT. It was washed out and you could hardly see any colour - the palest, palest blue I've ever seen. The price? An astonishing £624 - not only overpriced but I doubt very much whether it would be valued at that amount.

This is the link BUT imagine the central stone was NOWHERE NEAR the colour in this photo. Honestly I was struggling to see any blue at all.

http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/fulldetail.aspx?SKU=867 487

So, what was she saying???? "Tony got us all together and told us that if we were going to buy we HAD to buy THIS colour of Paraiba". "This is an incredible extradordinary price" (she's got that right!!!!).

Errrrrrrrrrrr, oh dear me. Do people really believe this carp???

And breathe ......................... :12:

Oh dear! I suppose they'll say anything to make a sale! I've only ever seen one nice Paraiba since I've been watching and I almost fell off the chair at the time because it was so unexpected. lol

I watch with the volume down as I find the commentary superfluous and irritating. The only presenter I listen to is John Scott, and not for what he is saying about the gem stones, lol. If the price is low enough and the stone and setting are pretty they will sell themselves. They can talk till the cows come home...their paraiba is over priced and washed out. Totally agree with everything you said, Meeshoo.

Oh dear! I suppose they'll say anything to make a sale! I've only ever seen one nice Paraiba since I've been watching and I almost fell off the chair at the time because it was so unexpected. lol

That's one more than me! :D

My solution to any channel which has presenter(s), items or stories that irritate me is to pick up my remote control and either switch over or switch off, regardless of whether it's a shopping channel or a movie. Simple huh?

My solution to any channel which has presenter(s), items or stories that irritate me is to pick up my remote control and either switch over or switch off, regardless of whether it's a shopping channel or a movie. Simple huh?

No - not that simple. Shopping channels and movies are two entirely different species. One should be fact, the other is most commonly fiction and doesn't pretend otherwise. If we don't express our opinions on here and switch off/over without comment, how do they know what we are/aren't aware of. Nothing personal, but the switch off argument for any programming is knackered to say the least, not to mention obvious and unnecessary.

Argey

OMG - doesn't that Stacy get sick of the sound of her own voice because I for one have these extremely strong suicidal feelings after listening to her for less than 60 seconds!! :Angry2:

Being bored of TJC's Diamond Day, I was channel hopping and came across Miss Verbal Diarrhea absolutely begging someone to buy a hideous looking Tanzanite pendant for an even more hideous price! "We won't use a clock on this my producer says" she spouts, "in fact she says she's not using a clock all hour!" Ha ha at those prices I bet you do!! After struggling for what seemed like a fortnight, the price got lower and lower until she said at £1799 "right that's it we're putting a clock on. In fact we won't need a clock because someone will buy this"!

Why, why oh why are the people running this channel allowing the viewers to walk away never to return because their presenters are by a million miles the worst ever presenters on any TV station in the world!! From the stuttering fake tan (to the wrists only) Vicki Burton through to the thick as mince lunatic Jerrilee, the gasping gurner "we should never be at this price" Caroline Lindsay to the dogmatic rambler Stacy!! They are attrocious!!

John and Ruth you are exempt from my ramblings! John you're a superstar - a professional amongst a bunch of amateurs!

Sorry if my rant offends any of my friends on this forum who may be a lot more tolerant than me but this is my opinion and a forum is a place to vent your opinions. Channel 642 is now gone from my screen forever!

I'm off to take a chill pill now and watch the football highlights!

Yes but let's be honest, straightforward feedback, if it tells a channel what annoys customers is probably the better option! The presenter I have mentioned above was treating the viewing public as idiots and I, for one, don't appreciate that ungracious dishonest style of presenting.

I haven't watched any jewellery tv/channels for AGES and decided to give Rocks and Co another "go". My viewing displeasure lasted for about 10 minutes before my blood began to boil and I did indeed vent on here and switch over.

On a slightly different topic - WHAT ON EARTH HAS HAPPENED TO THE PRICES? How ridiculously high have they become????? I appreciate gold has shot through the roof but surely Rocks and Co, in this tight economic climate, can't honestly expect people to pay top dollar for over-inflated second rate jewellery?????

On a slightly different topic - WHAT ON EARTH HAS HAPPENED TO THE PRICES? How ridiculously high have they become????? I appreciate gold has shot through the roof but surely Rocks and Co, in this tight economic climate, can't honestly expect people to pay top dollar for over-inflated second rate jewellery?????

:Applause: Well said Meeshoo I totally agree with you.

Lol Klosblue!
Stacey used to be alright but I think she's since been to the Rocks & Co School of Over-Acting and is now as bad as the rest of them. How can they expect people to buy anything if it's too painful on the ear-holes to stay tuned for longer than a minute?
Why can't they just TALK to us!!??
:12:
:54:

No - not that simple. Shopping channels and movies are two entirely different species. One should be fact, the other is most commonly fiction and doesn't pretend otherwise. If we don't express our opinions on here and switch off/over without comment, how do they know what we are/aren't aware of. Nothing personal, but the switch off argument for any programming is knackered to say the least, not to mention obvious and unnecessary.

Argey

I'd like to think I'm sensible enough to know when I'm being screwed over be that with online shopping or shopping irl regardless of what spin they put on it. There must be an element of fact in what they state otherwise I'm sure those who're not satisfied or suspect they're misleading the pubic would have complained to the relevant bodies by now. For me Argeybargey the 'switch off' solution isn't knackered. I don't like it I don't watch nor do I buy.

Yes but let's be honest, straightforward feedback, if it tells a channel what annoys customers is probably the better option! The presenter I have mentioned above was treating the viewing public as idiots and I, for one, don't appreciate that ungracious dishonest style of presenting.

Oh no doubt you have a valid point about presenters treating the public as if they're stupid, but sadly those self same people would be screwed over probably if they walked into a high street jewellers. And isn't there an Advertising Standards Authority people can complain to if they feel they're been given false information?

I haven't watched any jewellery tv/channels for AGES and decided to give Rocks and Co another "go". My viewing displeasure lasted for about 10 minutes before my blood began to boil and I did indeed vent on here and switch over.

There's one presenter did irritate me and that was Paul with his antics jumping up and down, and pretending to leave the studio (I mean how often can you pull that joke?). What I do when he's on is watch it on my pc with the sound turned down.

I very much agree that some of the prices are gone mad. I'm seeing items that were selling last year for a third of the price they are now. For those who've been regs they soon spot excessive increases and probably put a brake on buying for a while, or shop elsewhere. Saying that majority of the shopping channels have inflated their prices. I thought we were going through a recession?

Oh no doubt you have a valid point about presenters treating the public as if they're stupid, but sadly those self same people would be screwed over probably if they walked into a high street jewellers. And isn't there an Advertising Standards Authority people can complain to if they feel they're been given false information?

Sadly, the ASA really don't have much in the way of teeth. They will act but it takes forever and a day. The presenter today was offering an "opinion" that the colour of the gemstone was THE best. She was inferring that the Paraiba she was holding was the equivalent of the Hope Diamond when in actual fact to anybody who knows anything about gemstones it was quite clear that it was not - and a million miles away! She was talking absolute codswallop. Enough to get the ASA to act? Maybe / maybe not.

I, like you, don't think they should be allowed to give false (or misleading which is even worse) information to buyers. It should be factual. She could have said that it was a Paraiba and a pretty colour (that would have been stretching the truth even at that point) but at least it wouldn't have inferred a rarity or worth that it really didn't have.

And I completely and utterly agree with you about that dreadful presenter Paul. If there's one presenter guaranteed to make my hackles rise, it's him!!!

So will I switch over the channel? Yes. Absolutely. However, putting a warning on here so those who are newer to jewellery buying get an insight into the untruths told by presenters is necessary unfortunately.

Absolutely. However, putting a warning on here so those who are newer to jewellery buying get an insight into the untruths told by presenters is necessary unfortunately.

A very valid point. It's easy to forget that there are those who have only ever bought from the High Street, so to come across a channel telling them something is extremely rare (and let's be honest, how many of us have seen really good quality paraiba or tanzanite on the High St.) is misleading. On the whole the prices on TV are less (and sometimes considerably less) than the High St., so they may get sucked in to the whole RARE RARE RARE, Get it NOW before it's all gone spiel!!!

:doggie:

However, putting a warning on here so those who are newer to jewellery buying get an insight into the untruths told by presenters is necessary unfortunately.

...not to mention very informative. I've only learned about gemstones since reading this forum because you get a very unbiased opinion from people like you who know a lot more than I ever could.
Keep it coming, Meesh and all the other gem-lovers!:)

Harking back to Meeshoo's original post, what colour Paraiba would you think you were buying if you saw this on the web?

http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/fulldetail.aspx?Type=L&SKU=992 861

I flicked onto the TV because this really did look more the colour of their blue-green tourmaline, and saw this pale blue stone. Appalling use of enhancement, unless there was one in the batch that really was this colour, in which case one buyer will be very lucky

I've messed up the link and can't work out what it should've been. Huge white gold ring with a very pale blue oval-cut paraiba in the middle.

Last edited:
The worst is Vicky Gordon. She is loud and shout a lot and she perpetuates the drivel as if we were idiots. She showed an A4 of colours of Paraiba tourmaline and the ones she was selling with Debbie were the bottom of the list - pale, wishy washy and she didn't even blush hahahah!

The price Rocks and Co pay for 9k gold was between £12 and £13 per gram in december 2012 (approx the same a jeweller will pay you for your gold in the uk) and between 18-22 for 18k gold (again the same as you'd get for it in the uk)

Thats how much Thai gold trades for..

Latest posts

Back