"Who is not happy with the "old" chit/chat room Idea

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi Always...:1: Lol I noticed your abbreviated name - ass - got poofed! Ridiculous - it's an automated thing I think...Good thing none of us are talking about S****horpe...:54: :eek:

You're right - chat used to be great - I've been there from about a fortnight in, only because I hadn't seen Rocks until then - found it through this site...

Fab idea that would be, having an hour of the old style auctions - three items at a time like it used to be - peeps would love it! :1::1: And one chat room...

Like I've already said, however the Chat is arranged there will always be complaints about one thing or another, and there will always be people upsetting other people, or people being upset even if the other person didn't mean it...It's human nature...Whenever a large group of people get together, there will be conflict - it's happened throughout history so why should a shopping site be any different?

Please Rocks, one Chatroom is enough! :1:

Oh dear...Maybe that historic place on Humberside should have its name changed to please the PC brigade...What is the world coming to when you can't even say a place name because of the arrangement of some of its letters? :52:

I wasn't around for the old style auctions but they sound interesting!

Brilliant fun they were - proper auctions with the auctioneer saying "Going! Going! Gone!", an adrenaline rush if you thought someone would outbid you, and you were in control because you could bid upwards as much as you were willing to...no wondering if the price would drop low enough - "You decide the price" was the slogan then...

At that time there'd be one "live" auction going on, with the presenter as auctioneer, with two other columns on the same page, showing what was coming up next, and you could bid on those too, before they went live. If, say, there were 5 items in an auction, and someone bid higher than you, as long as you were in the top 5 "winning" boxes you got the item at the lowest price bid in those boxes. If there was only one (usually high-end stuff) it was whoever got there first with the highest bid. The Going! status would appear, then Going! Going! and people got all excited and bid higher to secure their item...

Theoretically items could go for nothing because bids could start at £0, so if no-one else came in, they'd have to give it to that person for nothing - it was a good loss-leader - happened a few times in the beginning, but as more people joined, someone would always bid, then someone else would try to beat them, so Rocks probably didn't lose too much money!

I think they changed it for financial reasons, but I don't think items generally went lower then - I've seen them drop lower in the new format - it seemed to be about quantities - ie they couldn't put 20 items in because of the way it worked...But I'm sure if they re-introduced it even as a novelty hour, it'd be very popular, and eliminate the boredom of waiting for one item at a time.

There was notably less chat about other stuff then - everyone was busy watching the screen because it was more interesting! So that would solve the other problem!

Last edited:
Bring back the hedgehog and hedgelet days they were fun

Hiya, Not sure if you have heard but there's a "version or twist on" the Hedgehogs coming soon. I asked when Steve did his hour recently if they could/would be bringing any back and thats what i was told. HTH :)

I saw that. People making nasty comments about Jamie's stubble. I thought he looked fine but, more importantly, he is still Jamie. Okay, he was not immaculately groomed but I suppose he has enough of that when he is working at his other job! When he is not working, he probably thinks "stuff it, I am not going to shave today (or this week!)". Good for him! Then some of them were telling him to have a shave! What a cheek! If the man wanted to come to work looking like Catweezle, I wouldn't recommend it but that's his business!

I would LOVE to see the state of some of the people who were criticising him!

Even though we were having fun today with Jamie, when I went into Chit Chat today I ended up leaving because it was wall to wall moaning about the changes! I get that some people are upset about it but do we really need hours of moaning?

I thought it was designer stubble!

As I've been married to a beard for 32 years I'm biased - I like a little (or a LOT!) of facial fungus.

I also enjoyed the old type rising auctions, but that did get a little cliquey and I think Rocks were losing money due to the fact that people would'nt bid if they knew their "friend" wanted something so they could get it for a low price :33: and if some other person jumped in and bid at the last moment, heaven forbid, these buyers were named snippers and were frowned upon :11:
But then again with the new style auction, if someone has requested an item they are under the misguided impression that they should get that item and get very upset if they miss out if they were to slow or waiting for it to drop to what they wanted to pay. It is an auction FFS, if they went to any other auction do they expect everyone else in the room not to bid as they want a particular item :25:

I asked Steve about the old auction style but he said he can't do them again even for an hour or so - they can't just be switched back because they use an entirly different format...Ah well...

Hi everyone

It must be very difficult for rocks to make the decision for the need for two chat rooms.
We must not forget that rocks is a business and without sales cannot exist. The site is not there for our pleasure only, and we must respect what Steve and others think what is best. I think some peeps treat this like FB and have no intention of buying jewelery, or bought at the beginning but no longer buy now. We have all had many great bargains from rocks, and I for one intend to keep on buying whether it is one chat room or two. You could not air your opinions on any other jewelery channel, so lets all remember this and enjoy.

Hi everyone

It must be very difficult for rocks to make the decision for the need for two chat rooms.
We must not forget that rocks is a business and without sales cannot exist. The site is not there for our pleasure only, and we must respect what Steve and others think what is best. I think some peeps treat this like FB and have no intention of buying jewelery, or bought at the beginning but no longer buy now. We have all had many great bargains from rocks, and I for one intend to keep on buying whether it is one chat room or two. You could not air your opinions on any other jewelery channel, so lets all remember this and enjoy.

I see your point Calico but - actually the site is there for our pleasure because it's a marketing tool - if we enjoy our experiences on Rocks, we'll buy more..! But yes though it's there to hopefully encourage us to buy, it is only a device put there for that purpose IYSWIM...

I was buying up to about January, but am not at the moment because a) my work is iffy and b) I've got all I want so far - some of it I've not even worn yet and c) am waiting for some great new designs in silver that aren't pearls!

But it becomes addictive as we all know, and I still log on to see who's about, look at the bling, and have a chat too. It isn't my raison d'etre, , but I do log on somtimes if I'm at home with nothing much to do or am fed up, it's an escape into a glamorous world...If I was disabled or housebound, I might become dependent on it for those reasons, and I can see how some people in that situation can view it. There are masses of forums on the net for sharing details of illness, problems etc., but Rocks is live, which makes a difference, and we've also got a common interest.

It's such a shame when people are upset, or people say unfortunate things, but that's human nature - we just have to try and be nice without making it too treacly!

Anyway I still think one chatroom is enough, but we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back