Shimoyo Rubellite - thoughts?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi Gav

Thanks for your input.

I agree with you that colour is subjective and it's an interesting debate because the colour chart you've prepared, when I look at it, there's only two or three gemstones on there that I'd consider to be Rubellite colour! The others are too pink and I don't see any red at all! Then again, I have a natural aversion to pink tourmaline which is probably why I need my Rubellite to be as far away from that as possible. I am also incredibly colour sensitive to brown and grey in gemstones - hence I can spot a tiny hue at 100 paces which is why, one hint of brown in a Rubellite will relegate that gemstone to the naughty step for me!

The necklace is/was sensational and if only I went to balls, state banquets and the like rather than shopping at Asda, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat. The design is/was so reminiscent of some of the gorgeous Tiffany pieces made in the 50's. Stunning! Will Rocks be asking the buyer of that wonderful piece to go on air modelling it? That'd be lovely to see.

Hi Meeshoo:

Thanks for your thanks and the feedback. The great thing about coloured gems is that there really is something for everyone!

I always encourage people to educate themselves about marketplace opinions as they form their own colour preferences. While I’ll leave the pink versus red debate aside (I’ve written on this issue several times in ‘The Clever Gem Buyer’), I am pretty happy with the chart as a pictorial representation of the Rubellite marketplace (not just Shimoyo).

As we’ve seen in this thread, hotter ‘pinkish’ Rubellite has its fans. Even though some find them attractive, visible brownish tints are a value detractor for Rubellite. While I never dictate colour preferences, apart from its awesome clarity and rarity, no browns is the reason I am such a big fan of Shimoyo Rubellite. No naughty step for this gem!

Nice idea re the necklace, I’ll pass your suggestion onto the UK team.

Lastly, for those of you who don’t want to wait for the auctions, a limited selection of Shimoyo Rubellite is now online http://www.rocksandco.com/NewArrival/shimoyo.aspx.

Kind Regards,

Gav

Cheers Gav!

Now ............ the real question ........... when's the pink Danburite going to be aired???????? Lots of people are going on holiday soon and we are in a need to know situation! :18:

Cheers Gav!

Now ............ the real question ........... when's the pink Danburite going to be aired???????? Lots of people are going on holiday soon and we are in a need to know situation! :18:

sign0162.gif

Thanks Gavin, always good to read your posts (I well remember you from an appearance yonks ago on Ideal World representing Thai Gems and applauded your putting the presenter in their place and telling them a ring could only be sized so far ;) ) and we'll have to agree to disagree about any pink tourmaline being called Rubellite.

Unlike Meeshoo I actually love pink tourmaline, but have yet to buy as IMO it is plentiful and I feel able to take my time falling in love with a piece as for me, as well as a good gem, the design is what calls to me and has to be just right for me to buy. So for me pink Tourmaline is, in my mind, a very different stone to Rubellite. I do like so much on Rocks so have to limit my viewing I'm afraid! :whistle:

Prior to the Shimoyo, you did say a while back that there was some great Rubellite coming in decent carat weights and sure enough, some time after I purchased a lovely 3.5ct ring that IMO is every bit as good as the Shimoyo. I was wearing it watching the shows and simply could not justify paying the extra for no difference- even if I had it at the mo! Maybe I was just very lucky to get such a good one?

Would love that necklace though......................................

I'm also looking forward to the Danburite!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone:

Thank you very much for your thanks and support.

While I’ll give you more precise dates closer to their launch, expect Pink Danburite and Cinnamon Zircon from the middle of May and Cat’s Eye Aquamarine towards the end of May. Those interested in Pink Danburite should not hesitate when it arrives – with only approximately 100 pieces, we have very limited stock.

To wet your appetite, I’ve included some pictures of Pink Danburite in this post and will post some of the other two shortly. Although some of them are of loose gems, everything will be set in jewellery as usual.

Lynda, thanks for your post; remembering that on-air appearance put a smile on my face! :4: Actually, we don’t disagree. While the chart is designed to show what is available in the marketplace, I’ve been very clear on what is generally considered to be the ‘ideal’ Rubellite. Congratulations on your Rubellite ring! Three and a half carats is a good size for Rubellite. We’ve had some fantastic Rubellite from Madagascar on Rocks & Co. and many compare favourably to Shimoyo Rubellite, but at the end of the day, Shimoyo tops the charts for me.

Thanks once again for all your support.

Best Wishes,

Gav

Attachments

• PD-1.jpg
    PD-1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 189
  • PD-2.jpg
    PD-2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 190
  • PD-3.jpg
    PD-3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 196
  • PD-4.jpg
    PD-4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 194
  • PD-5.jpg
    PD-5.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 183
Here are some images of our Cat's Eye Aquamarine...

Attachments

• CA-1.jpg
    CA-1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 167
  • CA-2.jpg
    CA-2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 170
  • CA-3.jpg
    CA-3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 169
  • CA-4.jpg
    CA-4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 166
And here are some images of our Cinnamon Zircon...

Attachments

• CZ-1.jpg
    CZ-1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 193
  • CZ-2.jpg
    CZ-2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 186
  • CZ-3.jpg
    CZ-3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 195
  • CZ-4.jpg
    CZ-4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 188
  • CZ-5.jpg
    CZ-5.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 192
My thanks to Gavin for posting the earlier piccies, looking forward to seeing them on the tellybox before too long.
I particularly like the trilliant cut Pink Danburite, all those facets look umm.............fascinating!

I didn't see all of last weekend's debut of Shimoyo Rubellite, but heard the fact that the mine was productive for only 45 days.
So, did any folks hear Tony D say if R & C were the exclusive buyers of this gemstone at all? Just wondering....:33:

My thanks to Gavin for posting the earlier piccies, looking forward to seeing them on the tellybox before too long.
I particularly like the trilliant cut Pink Danburite, all those facets look umm.............fascinating!

I didn't see all of last weekend's debut of Shimoyo Rubellite, but heard the fact that the mine was productive for only 45 days.
So, did any folks hear Tony D say if R & C were the exclusive buyers of this gemstone at all? Just wondering
....:33:

I believe that Tony said that there were some other US buyers who managed to buy a small amount. Hope that helps. x

Gav

Thanks for the heads up on the Danburite and Cat's Eye Aqua. I'm afraid I'm going to miss some (if not nearly all) of these being aired as it's school holidays and those of us with midgets will, I'm afraid, be sunning ourselves :(

Oh well, I guess that's saved me some money :)

Only 100 pieces of the Danburite :gasp:? I'm guessing there won't be any BOGOFs then? :rofl:

I've already decided I can't possibly afford it just to save myself any disappointment later ;)

On the other hand, I think I like the look of the Cinnamon Zircon even more ........... :happydance:

I've not nothing useful to add about the gems, and feel I am gatecrashing, but I just have to say that whenever I see Shimoyo I think of Shimano (bicycle gears)

Now I've got that off me chest I'll get my coat
:lol:

Gav, the cinnamon zircon looks almost a lovely salmon pink colour in the photos - will it really be pinkish, or is that just how it looks on my monitor?

A quick comment, If you like Rubilite I have seen nothing better. Perhaps equal, but not better.

Latest posts

Back