Ali Young on nail polish

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

LipstickCherry

Girl on Film
Anyone else hear Ali Young this morning saying that 16 years ago we didn't used to polish our nails at home as much. What on earth does she think she is saying? Silly moo - I don't think she knows what she's going on about half the time. :giggle:

I've nothing to add to that LipstickCherry, I think you've pretty much got it covered! 'Silly moo' is an apt description! :nod:

Anyone else hear Ali Young this morning saying that 16 years ago we didn't used to polish our nails at home as much. What on earth does she think she is saying? Silly moo - I don't think she knows what she's going on about half the time. :giggle:

She has clearly missed the fact there are so many more nail bars and beauty salons now than there was 16 years ago!!! :rolleyes:

Going back more than 16 years ago my mother used to paint her nails regularly although in fairly subtle shades. Which is probably why I paint my nails because of her example all the time I lived at home. I don't think there was anywhere we could have gone to have our nails painted by someone else back then and I doubt my mother could have afforded it. A bottle of nail varnish then as now is reasonably affordable for many of us.

When I left school, 45 years ago may I say, every woman I knew had their nails painted. If they had them polished professionally, they had them done in the hair salons whilst sitting under the dryer.Otherwise they done them at home using Cutex nail polish or Revlon on their hair wash night! [I can hear gasps]
We all had long talons but base coat wasn't heard of so we all had to keep them covered up with polish most of the time because they were all quite 'orange' with staining. Alison talks sometimes at the back her head, didn't she know there were cosmetics and beauty preparations before she was born, I could tell her a thing or too.....

I'm 46 I can honestly say I've never had my nails painted other than done by myself at home.

She really does just open her mouth with no idea what's going to come popping out next. What a load of twaddle!

Just :thinking2:

Is she saying then before QVC and herself we couldn't buy nail polish to use at home ?

:flower:

maybe she is alluding to an era 45 yrs ago, because mum and her friends/peers (in their 50's now) were doing it at home. nothing to do with affording it or not.:happy:

The only time I could afford to have my nails pedicured was 15 years ago, BC (before child). Silly woman.
If anything it was more popular to paint nails then than now.
Nowadays, it's more nail extensions and false nails and french manicures than painting nails (unless it's clear varnish). That's why there are more salons doing it.

Just :thinking2:

Is she saying then before QVC and herself we couldn't buy nail polish to use at home ?

To be fair buying professional quality polish wasn't all that easy - QVC have made that more accessible. Perhaps that's what she meant?

What a load of twaddle she talks. I can remember my Aunt painting her nails over 60 years ago as did some of the other women in our family but I must say it was very daring in those days for working class women to paint their nails and was frowned upon by my Grandad especially if she let me have some on.

She doesn't half spout some rubbish at times. I've been doing my own nails and painting them since I was about 10 years old, so almost for 20 years now. Ok, so when I was so young I was only using clear or pink nail polish - and not always doing a great job of it ;) - but once I got into my teens a home manicure was, and still is a weekly ritual for me - and I've had my nails painted all sorts of different colours over the years. Ironically, contrary to what she's saying I don't use nail colour so much now - mainly due to having OCD and constant handwashing - there's no point painting them anymore, but I do still make the effort to shape, buff and file my nails once a week.

To be fair buying professional quality polish wasn't all that easy - QVC have made that more accessible. Perhaps that's what she meant?

Have department stores not always sold quality nail varnishes ?

I remember my mum being....is it a Vanda, Wanda? makeup seller when I was child, she'd have tons of little lipstick and nail varnishes, I used to love them. she's always had long nails and now I've followed in her footsteps.

And what about the Avon ladies in the 70s.... ding dong Avon calling, I can remember the ads now :)

oh man she really comes out with some amount of carp these days!! The more she does this while simultanously calling herself a 'beauty expert' the most disinclined I am to believe a single word she says.

When are the next Smashbox shows? I must remember to look out and see if she continues to tout QVC as the sole UK stockist after I mialed QVC and said they weren't...

Tx

Latest posts

Back