Who wanted an Emerald?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lovely to see all the bling being shown though I have never been a fan of round cuts in coloured stones myself.
There were some rather nice emerald cut Emeralds on TJC this morning.... all good prices too, whether for Colombian or Brazilian ...... the latter were some of the nicest Brazilian stones I've seen on telly.

Tbh Mathilda the more I look at my emerald the more I think it's a Brazilian as the colour is so rich and darker than the usual Columbian. I did order several Columbians set into platinum when TJC had that first big splurge of them but sent them all back as none of them matched up to this one in either colour, clarity of vibrancy, in fact it's the nicest emerald I've ever seen. I really must start wearing it......... :pPC:

Tbh Mathilda the more I look at my emerald the more I think it's a Brazilian as the colour is so rich and darker than the usual Columbian. I did order several Columbians set into platinum when TJC had that first big splurge of them but sent them all back as none of them matched up to this one in either colour, clarity of vibrancy, in fact it's the nicest emerald I've ever seen. I really must start wearing it......... :pPC:

Sue I beg to differ. Yours is an excellent example of a great quality Columbian. The Zambians don't have the neon blue/green quality that yours has. The best Columbians are exactly as you've described, rich, dark, warm, blue/green and yummmmmmmmmmmmmy!

Zambians (even the best Zambians) just don't hold a candle to the superb Columbians.

p.s. I had to giggle when Ooops said about the Emerald ring in y/gold because I thought you were referring to the one you beat me to (fastest finger first) but then we did the postage shuffle and subsequently I got - do you remember!???!!!

LOL I don't remember Meesh, so bliddy much jewellery has come and gone over the years............ :YIKES: :pPC:

Yes I know your love of emeralds Meesh and you have an absolute stunner yourself. :WUB: I'm not in the market for a loose stone but did buy two Iliana Columbian beauties from TJC a couple of years ago, one in y/g which I sold on to a lovely FM because I just didn't wear it, but kept this w/g one. :flower: TJC's stones are exceptional imho.
DSCN2237.jpg

DSCN2233.jpg

What a beautiful ring, the colour of that emerald is stunning! I'm green with envy.:D

Lesson please...... Emeralds seem relatively pricey compared to other stones, are they very rare and do they tend to be treated ?

Lesson please...... Emeralds seem relatively pricey compared to other stones, are they very rare and do they tend to be treated ?

Ok, here we go!!!!

1. Very very very very few gemstones can be classed as "rare". Some are difficult to source, some are difficult to find in sizes over a carat, etc etc. Emeralds however are not in that category. They are not "rare".

2. Having said that, GOOD QUALITY Emeralds are much much much more difficult to find. It's easy to buy shite (pardon the French) Emeralds that look like minty green cloudy cough drops. You can get those in Argos (other outlets are available)!

3. So, what differentiates a good quality Emerald? If you believe some of the presenters aka the Queen of Sparkle, you'll be told that a good Emerald MUST have lots of jardin (inclusions). Total and utter tosh. The best Emeralds are ones that have hardly any jardin OR have some but it doesn't affect the beauty and brilliance of the Emerald. To find a totally clean Emerald means you've almost won the Emerald lottery!

4. The colour of an Emerald (together with the clarity) is of paramount importance. An Emerald the colour of Sue's above, is to die for. Lighter Emeralds are more readily available but the richer, more vibrant, the better. I'm attaching below two photos. The first photo is of a top quality Emerald. The next photo is of a good Emerald, lovely but not top quality. You can see the clarity and colour difference between the two. This is what separates a top quality from a good Emerald.

5. Lastly, you asked about treatments? Emeralds are typically oiled. This means that a cedar oil (typically) is added to the Emerald and it soaks into the jardin and basically makes it less obvious. Most Emeralds on the market have had this done and it's accepted. Oiling of Emeralds is an old practice. Unfortunately, in the gemstone world developments always occur and you now find reconstituted Emeralds, dyed Emeralds and all sorts of weird and wonderful things! However, as far as I'm aware, TJC only sell Emeralds that have been oiled and nothing more sinister. The only thing you need to worry about with oiling is that, typically, you won't know whether yours has had this treatment or not (assume it has). The oil WILL dry out over time (many years) but many jewellers can simply re-oil so this isn't anything to worry about. For this reason and also that an Emerald is a relatively soft stone, it should NEVER go in an ultrasonic and care must be taken - more so that other gemstones.

Crikey I only meant this to be a short reply - sorry! It's the anorak in me!

Does that help?

Attachments

• Emerald Ring2.jpg
    Emerald Ring2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Emerald2_1_1.JPG
    Emerald2_1_1.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 185
I'm familiar with your stunning emerald cut ring Meesh :WUB: but is the pear a new acquisition, I love it. :pPC:

Thank you Sue. I bought the Emerald as a loose stone about 18 months ago and then had the setting made in Turkey. The setting is a bit hit and miss up close but in some ways I quite like that it looks handmade if you know what I mean!

Here's a better close up photo and you can see the jardin more clearly in this one.

Attachments

• Emerald Pear2_1_1.JPG
    Emerald Pear2_1_1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 170

Latest posts

Back