JF's Word For Today

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kitch means overt the top cute - as far as I am concerned, where the cute is so cute you want to :puke:

I've never really understood exactly what kitsch means!

Lots of definitions on the web but here's a particularly amusing one - couldn't have phrased it any better myself really (lol):

"something of tawdry design, appearance, or content created to appeal to popular or undiscriminating taste."

Think gnomes, 60's plastic kitchen items, tasteless art, flying wall ducks.........anything tacky, gaudy, OTT, mass-produced, tat! Often a poor copy of a (better & classier!) original idea/style etc.! :giggle:

Lots of definitions on the web but here's a particularly amusing one - couldn't have phrased it any better myself really (lol):

"something of tawdry design, appearance, or content created to appeal to popular or undiscriminating taste."

Think gnomes, 60's plastic kitchen items, tasteless art, flying wall ducks.........anything tacky, gaudy, OTT, mass-produced, tat! Often a poor copy of a (better & classier!) original idea/style etc.! :giggle:

Hardly the way to describe any of QVC's goods by a presenter!
In some cases, it's true, but it's not going to sell anything.........

Hardly the way to describe any of QVC's goods by a presenter!
In some cases, it's true, but it's not going to sell anything.........

Well we are talking about JF Artemis, who struggles to pronounce words of more than 2 syllables & uses the wrong word for things pretty much most of the time! lol
From listening to her, it appears she is mixing up 'kitsch' & 'retro' (another sadly over or mis-used word these days!) but I doubt any real harm will be done as I think most people tend to 'tune her out' anyway.......! :grin:

(Actually, 'kitsch' is big business & when applied to kitchen items & such, has achieved a sort of cult following & high collectable factor but not something I'd apply to a coat I was trying to flog, no......! lol)

I thought kitsch had connotations of being desirable in an odd sort of way, a bit like the famous (or is it infamous) pink flamingo!

I wish I could tune her out. She's just spent what seemed like hours talking about climbing a ladder to get in her bathroom window when she and the famous Hubby locked themselves out. How many times can she repeat the fact that she's scared of heights? Does she really think we're fascinated? And in the end, after all that, she didn't do it. A neighbour had to come to the rescue.

I thought kitsch had connotations of being desirable in an odd sort of way, a bit like the famous (or is it infamous) pink flamingo!

Yeah, if you're talking about garden gnomes or those giant butterflies people think makes the outside of their house look attractive.......! lol

I wish I could tune her out. She's just spent what seemed like hours talking about climbing a ladder to get in her bathroom window when she and the famous Hubby locked themselves out. How many times can she repeat the fact that she's scared of heights? Does she really think we're fascinated? And in the end, after all that, she didn't do it. A neighbour had to come to the rescue.

Bet that story was introduced/interspersed with/finished off by informing us fascinated dear listeners that it was 'so hil-aaaaaar-ious' too? :giggle:

well it may have such connotations to kitsch people with kitschy tastes.

it is a german word meaning 'trash' (der Kitsch) and kitschig the adj (trashy, kitschy).

I googled it before I posted:thinking2:

I should have said the items didn't appeal to me and not my style.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_with_claws

Think gnomes, 60's plastic kitchen items, tasteless art, flying wall ducks.........anything tacky, gaudy, OTT, mass-produced, tat! Often a poor copy of a (better & classier!) original idea/style etc.!

Artemis:

'Hardly the way to describe any of QVC's goods by a presenter!'

Artemis, you may be right. But, 'something of tawdry design, appearance , or content' actually is a fair description of a certain scrawny and orally-challenged QVC presenter.

Latest posts

Back