Medical Opinion on beauty products....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is why I have a big problem with the Clientele range and their 'estro' creams. They say that they contain oestrogen. Well, if it is of a level and size that it can be absorbed into the skin (as they seem to imply) then it would have to be on prescription :wait2:. If their claims are true then no one should use it unless prescribed by a doctor. You should not be applying oestrogen to your skin without medical advice. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the cream DOESN'T absorb into the skin or DOESN'T contain oestrogen so therefore it is fraud :angry:.

DH always makes me turn their shows over as I spend so much time ranting at the TV :grin: :headbang:

This is why I have a big problem with the Clientele range and their 'estro' creams. They say that they contain oestrogen. Well, if it is of a level and size that it can be absorbed into the skin (as they seem to imply) then it would have to be on prescription :wait2:. If their claims are true then no one should use it unless prescribed by a doctor. You should not be applying oestrogen to your skin without medical advice. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the cream DOESN'T absorb into the skin or DOESN'T contain oestrogen so therefore it is fraud :angry:.

DH always makes me turn their shows over as I spend so much time ranting at the TV :grin: :headbang:

I thought they state that it contains Estrokin and phytoestrogens, not oestrogen per se ? :confused:

At the end of the day, genetics and how we've lived our lives has a massive impact on our skin ie. what skin type we have, how it looks and how it ages. However, I guess we all strive to try and help our skin look the best it can and whilst we're fully aware that there's no such thing as a miracle cream, there are ingredients out there that can have a positive impact on how our skin looks and feels in the short term :)

I'm not sure of all the claims made about anti aging products !, but I think it all comes down to "good genes" as to how you age :cheeky::thinking2::flower:

I think genes probably do have a lot of influence on how well you age but sun exposure and smoking are also significant factors.

Someone mentioned sleeping for 12 hours a night, well I get up at about 6.45 and get home from work at about 6.15 so I might end up ageing a bit better but I wouldn't actually have a life!

Last edited:
I think genes probably do have a lot of influence on how well you age but sun exposure and smoking are also significant factors.

Someone mentioned sleeping for 12 hours a night, well I get up at about 6.45 and get home from work at about 6.15 so I might end up ageing a bit better but I wouldn't actually have a life!

.....and I'm an ex-insomniac who now manages up to 4 whole hours a night - bit shy of the recommended amount, still!

Of three sisters, the youngest was the healthiest eater, who exercised regularly and maintained a steady weight since the age of 16...never going over by more than 2 or 3lbs but sadly died at 39 with beautiful skin and teeth.

Middle sister says whats the point of not enjoying yourself whilst on this earth, look what happened to the healthy one...she doesn't drink water, kills vegetables if she ever cooks them, applies sunscreen like it costs as much as gold even though she should wear it every day because she lost most of her skin on her face when a QVC screen scraper blew up in her face one frosty morning..........and even before that her skin looked much older that she was. Her grand daughter says they are not wrinkles, but happy lines!

Meanwhile I drink masses, eat more veggie and not fried, haven't used soap on my body for absolute decades, use suncreen within moisturizers and have (according to others) got very good skin. I've always though that it was because I can't use cheap moisturizers etc as my skin reacts quite badly. Currently using Elizabeth's Daughter combined with Judith Williams cleanser and eye cream....both ends of the spectrum...but then at 20 something I used cream for mature skin...now I need it for younger skin...quite weird.

On the other hand I'm a Capricorn and they say we get younger as we get older (wish the rest of body knew that theory!)

I believe the optimum amount of sleep, as relates to longevity, is 7/8 hours a night - no more, no less.

As for the skin, well, I keep it pretty simple: I use an spf 15 moisturiser during the day and makeup on top, avoid outright sunbathing and wear a sun hat in the summer (what is 'summer' again, remind me... ). Nighttime is more problematic for me: I've heard you shouldn't use moisturiser at night in order to make your skin keep-up it's own in-built ability to moisturise itself... so, what I do is, just use a little non-spf moisturiser or a few drops of a light oil at night if my skin feels dry and tight, but if it feels ok, I don't bother using anything. I just use a simple soap-free, rinse-off cleanser at night to take off the makeup - this is very recent, I used to just use soap but I thought I'd make a bit of an effort lol! (just use soap on my face in the shower in the morning tho' lol again), and exfoliate once a week.

I'm a chronic insomniac, so bad with it that I am awake night after night after night, as some of you already know. I am 44 years old, a fair skinned Celtic redhead, and am seriously ill. However, I look younger than my years, purely and simply because I have always used sunblock, and I ingest cold-pressed oils everyday, except chemo days and the ones immediately following - don't fancy throwing up oil, yuck. I also use a glycolic 10% facewash to keep product-caused cystic acne at bay.

I'm a chronic insomniac, so bad with it that I am awake night after night after night, as some of you already know. I am 44 years old, a fair skinned Celtic redhead, and am seriously ill. However, I look younger than my years, purely and simply because I have always used sunblock, and I ingest cold-pressed oils everyday, except chemo days and the ones immediately following - don't fancy throwing up oil, yuck. I also use a glycolic 10% facewash to keep product-caused cystic acne at bay.

would you recommend any products/range, Yolanda? thank you xxx:flower:

Yo, that sounds very interesting, what brand do you use, if you don't mind me asking? x

would you recommend any products/range, Yolanda? thank you xxx:flower:

Hi WS, There's a lot of press right now about the Omega oils available for just such usage, and I think a few people on here use them, so perhaps someone will come along with a recommendation for one of those. I only use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil, since that has always done the trick for me, and I'm convinced that it is of some use health-wise to me right now, too. I don't use any specific brand, but tend to stick with the Greek and Italian ranges, since I trust them and find the taste reasonably palatable. I have ingested the oil everyday for over 20 years now, and, recently, when I had the bout of cystic acne, the American dermy I emailed for advice, told me that the oil ingestion would have done more for my skin over the years than any amount of skincare, and he told me to stick with it, but add a beta hydroxy wash and the glycolic wash, and my skin would clear within a couple of weeks, and it did.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi WS, There's a lot of press right now about the Omega oils available for just such usage, and I think a few people on here use them, so perhaps someone will come along with a recommendation for one of those. I only use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil, since that has always done the trick for me, and I'm convinced that it is of some use health-wise to me right now, too. I don't use any specific brand, but tend to stick with the Greek and Italian ranges, since I trust them and find the taste reasonably palatable. I have ingested the oil everyday for over 20 years now, and, recently, when I had the bout of cystic acne, the American dermy I emailed for advice, told me that the oil ingestion would have done more for my skin over the years than any amount of skincare, and he told me to stick with it, but add a beta hydroxy wash and the glycolic wash, and my skin would clear within a couple of weeks, and it did.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you very much, Yolanda. i thought it would be just in the form of capsules. i agree re benefits of extra virgin olive oil. we get it directly shipped from the island of crete and it is fantastic! yum. lots of love xxxx

LOL, I don't recommend sleeping 12 hours myself it's just something I read about with regards to Claudia Schieffer. :tongue2:

I tend to sleep about 8-9 hours a night and feel great for it. The brain only needs 4 hours tops to regenerate. Our bodies need that much longer! Obviously it makes sense that if you really care about your appearance and health you would want to get as much kip as possible so that you look your best and you are in control of the ageing process!

There was actually a study that was done by Kalms named 'Beauty Sleep', which assessed the effects of sleep deprivation on individuals. The volunteers went through a 48 hour period of sleep deprivation and were then assessed on by a team of dermatologists and psychologists. The results and conclusion were interesting but obvious.

Here's a link to the site with pics/diaries of volunteers before and after going through sleep deprivation so you can really see the toll a lack of sleep takes on your looks.

http://www.kalmssleep.com/BeautySleepStudy.htm

By the way, it's interesting that some of you are saying you are 'insomniacs' that can't sleep 'night after night after night' but that you still look younger than your years. Perhaps you're one of those lucky ones that has good genes. However not all of us can get away with that kind of self-destruction on a regular basis and still expect to look 16! We're only mortals.

I definitely have good genes skin-wise, albeit, lousy ones healthwise. However, it all boils down to the individual as to how much sleep/sleep deprivation is needed/can be tolerated. My neurologist is amazed at how little sleep I get, and yet, as I say, I function rather better than a lot of people getting the so-called optimal amount, and there was a post in another thread a while ago about the incidence of high intellect in insomniacs, which my neurologist verified. I have friends who are absolute wrecks if they get less than 8 hours sleep, but I'm fine staying up all night for several nights, and show no ill-effects whatsoever. Funny old thing, the brain!

Hi SS, I use DDF Glycolic facewash 10%, and Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic acid hydrating gel 10%. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks my sweet, I will check these out... Of course, I agree that cold-pressed Italian extra virgin olive oil is good for you... I just can't bring myself to just swallow it on its own... it normally has to be downed accompanied by a variety of fattening things... One of my nicest childhood memories is my auntie Annina cutting open some just-bought warm bread and using it to suck up lots of olive oil that had been poured on a plate together with salt and pepper... Hmmm, yummy... great for your skin definitely; for your waist line though? not so much!:tongue2:

Thanks my sweet, I will check these out... Of course, I agree that cold-pressed Italian extra virgin olive oil is good for you... I just can't bring myself to just swallow it on its own... it normally has to be downed accompanied by a variety of fattening things... One of my nicest childhood memories is my auntie Annina cutting open some just-bought warm bread and using it to suck up lots of olive oil that had been poured on a plate together with salt and pepper... Hmmm, yummy... great for your skin definitely; for your waist line though? not so much!:tongue2:

sth i eat quite often, esp if the bread is stonebacked. :giggle:

i have always been a firm believer in all the views so far expressed...ie. genes are the biggest variable, wearing a sunscreen is vital, diet is crucial, sleep is essential...but i love my products and then to add to the whole thing, a while back, i came across this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/b...g-new-breed-wrinkle-creams-actually-work.html

i have tried to the lancome product and have even spoke to one person who did one of those intense magnification things once she had been applying....it is a great product and has absolutely rave reviews....

Latest posts

Back