"Construction" of clothes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
I've noticed that some clothes (well, quite a few ranges actually) are pieced together from smaller bits of fabric, with the result that seams appear where you would not expect them and where they are not part of the tailoring IYKWIM. Also if the fabric has a largish pattern the pieces are not matched up at the seams, which draws the eye to them and just looks a mess. I also notice that the sleeves are not always set in properly - the seams are puckered or un-even so they don't lie smoothly on the models.

I know these are budget-end clothes and we should not expect haute-couture for these prices but it's one of the main reasons I would not buy clothes from QVC. High street retailers such as M&S and maybe Next manage this better.

Another gripe of mine is the length of what they call "tunics". Invariably they end at the most unflattering part of the body - top of the leg, to be blunt just above the crotch. Today's TSV is an example - Joy wore one this morning with light grey trousers and the look just was not good. OK with black/navy but otherwise ...no.

Sorry for the long post ! :drunk:

Linda

I've noticed that some clothes (well, quite a few ranges actually) are pieced together from smaller bits of fabric, with the result that seams appear where you would not expect them and where they are not part of the tailoring IYKWIM. Also if the fabric has a largish pattern the pieces are not matched up at the seams, which draws the eye to them and just looks a mess. I also notice that the sleeves are not always set in properly - the seams are puckered or un-even so they don't lie smoothly on the models.

I know these are budget-end clothes and we should not expect haute-couture for these prices but it's one of the main reasons I would not buy clothes from QVC. High street retailers such as M&S and maybe Next manage this better.

Another gripe of mine is the length of what they call "tunics". Invariably they end at the most unflattering part of the body - top of the leg, to be blunt just above the crotch. Today's TSV is an example - Joy wore one this morning with light grey trousers and the look just was not good. OK with black/navy but otherwise ...no.

Sorry for the long post ! :drunk:

Linda

Totally agree about the cut on some of the clothes but i wouldn't call them budget end clothes.Some of them may look like it but this isn't reflected in the prices. I was looking at a Beth Terell tunic that i liked, yes it was lovely but nothing special, it was £70 + p&p. For a tunic!!!!!!

thats the problem with qvc clothes they look budget but the prices are not.
m&s are actualy cheaper for nearly everything including coats. my £70 would buy me a lovely mac that would look amazing for many years.

i have picked up italian fabric pants for £5 in the sale so no i would not buy qvc fashion.

anather point for cheaper stuff primark wins hands down for bedding,clothing etc.

I've never paid any great attention to the actual construction of the clothes tbh, as most of them I wouldn't be seen dead in but am shocked by what you've said Linda, as I never imagined they were quite that bad! Shocked but not really surprised I guess......, sounds about par for the course for QVC!

As LE Lover said, hardly 'budget end', certainly not in price! I always thought Next were pretty dodgy as regards actual quality & value for money but in all honesty, most of the QVC stuff is even worse than that, more on a par with Ethel Austin or something! In fact, I think that's a bit mean......on Ethel Austins! lol

I think alot of makers are not matching properly as it wastes too much fabric.

Many of the QVC clothes I've seen don't have zips or buttons and are really the most easy of clothes to make (I remember making similar when I was around 12 in needlework class at school!) and yet they have the cheek to charge over £40 for them and these are in pretty thin material. My dressmaker friend could run an identical outfit up in about an hour at a fraction of the cost. Personally I'd rather wait for a sale in Monsoon or Marks - at least you can get a decent quality skirt or top that will wearable through the Autumn/Winter.

Totally agree about M&S, have the most heavenly coat from them, (I have a real thing about coats) I got it in a sale last year, was eyeing it up and planned to part with the original £79 price which I thought was good, when I went in the next day it was reduced to £40!!!! It's pale pink, wool, and is so well cut and finished. I don't think the clothes onQVC are budget priced, can get better stuff in Asda or Sainsburys I reckon. What do the rest of you think?

Totally agree about M&S, have the most heavenly coat from them, (I have a real thing about coats) I got it in a sale last year, was eyeing it up and planned to part with the original £79 price which I thought was good, when I went in the next day it was reduced to £40!!!! It's pale pink, wool, and is so well cut and finished. I don't think the clothes onQVC are budget priced, can get better stuff in Asda or Sainsburys I reckon. What do the rest of you think?

Totally agree. The clothes are very overpriced. I love the way they try to use the fact that they are 95% polyester as a selling point for a v expensive piece of clothing, excluding the virtues of how it will stretch. I don't want my clothes to stretch!!

I don't think the clothes onQVC are budget priced, can get better stuff in Asda or Sainsburys I reckon. What do the rest of you think?

Some of the budget price clothes like George in Asda or Matalan are very well made and my local BHS has more trendy items than QVC (and has a petite range). I think QVC needs to find something that sets it apart from other clothes retailers. Maybe a few years ago it could boast that home delivery and selling plus sizes made it special but plenty of retailers do that now.

I agree with other posters who've pointed out that the supermarket chains, Matalan and Primark do excellent budget clothing ranges these days, plus you can try them on before you purchase and there's no P&P. Nor in most cases are there any car parking charges - that perennial comparison that the presenters make for the P&P. For price, QVC is more in the M&S realm but cannot match them for quality, value or consistency.

I actually think that of late Ideal World has been doing better clothes than QVC. Not the slinky stuff, which is just cheaper Kim & Co and not to my taste, but ranges like Yours and Country Casuals, etc. Plus they do the discounted P&P.

Many of the QVC clothes I've seen don't have zips or buttons and are really the most easy of clothes to make (I remember making similar when I was around 12 in needlework class at school!) and yet they have the cheek to charge over £40 for them and these are in pretty thin material. My dressmaker friend could run an identical outfit up in about an hour at a fraction of the cost. Personally I'd rather wait for a sale in Monsoon or Marks - at least you can get a decent quality skirt or top that will wearable through the Autumn/Winter.

I think having things that are stretchy and elasticated so they don't need to fit very precisely is probably an attempt to reduce returns.

I was watching a Kim and Co show the other day and saw one of the tops, which I didn't particularly like, worked out at over £40 when you added p & p. For that amount you could get something nicer in M & S without waiting for the sale.

even the higher end dennis basso coats are not that great quality either. i have seen much better quality faux fur at a quater of the price or less even.:down:

I love M&S and I think QVC's clothes are very pricey compared to M&S - and like you say the quality is not there.

I quite liked the TSV today.But with postage,it will about £40ish,and considering I don't want the scarf,I feel I could get a fab up to date cardi in M&S for that price.

I bought a winter coat from next last week and that was only £45!!!!

hey ladies I was in H and M today and got a lovely sweater dress for £24 99p, it's purple (but they also do black and navy) going to look great over jeans or with my black boots. They had some lovely stuff in there. Can't remember who on this forum mentioned Bearpaw boots, well I'd not heard of them before so checked them out online. Looked good and then to my delight found some in TKMax, they are wonderful so I wanted to thank the person who brought them to my attention. All done and dusted for my winter wardrobe and not a spark of polyester in sight.

I saw some knitted waistcoat from BT today-£30 odd -similar in Primark for about £8 I would say. I have a few Kim & co items-but I am selective. I wear them at home when relaxing- a couple of super soft knit cowl neck tops are great in the winter,big and snuggly. The camisole tops are handy too. But I will not buy any other clothing because I can get it easier elsewhere and don't have the hassle of queing at the post office to send back or having to retrieve it from a neighbour etc cos I've not been in.

I think the biggest problem with QVC "fashion" is the aversion they seem to have towards natural fabrics....Even the most expensive ranges (all of them are expensive tbh), but Nicole somebody or other, and Tiana B, where you'd be charged £70+ for a dress are made from stretch polyester, echoing what most of the other posters have said...in Marks and Spencer you could get a decent wool jacket for example for that sort of money, and even Primark and QS isn't full of cheap fabric, QVC is only comparable to market stall clothing really..Don't know how they get away with it.....People are buying it I guess!

Latest posts

Back