Newbie here

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vikki

Registered Shopper
Hi people, I haven't posted on this forum before, I'm usually a QVC gal. Call me cautious but I'm nervous about buying anything of significant value from a shopping channel that I haven't used before. Do you recommend this site, and you seem so knowledgable about your gems, what do I look for in a good piece of kunzite and/or morganite?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi Vikki! No need to be nervous hun. We don't bite ........... well, not all of us anyway!

Would I recommend this channel? No. For the following reasons:

1. Extortionate prices
2. Badly cut gemstones
3. Low gold weights
4. Inaccuracies and mis-selling all over the place

I would recommend that you pop over and have a look at TJC (Sky 650) if you're looking for Kunzite or Morganite - or in fact for jewellery.

On the whole (and of course there are exceptions), TJC have:

1. Good prices
2. Well cut gemstones
3. Good gold weight with very nice accent diamonds

GemsTV (Sky 652) are worth a look too but with them you definitely pay for what you get.

In terms of what to look for?

With Kunzite, the deeper in colour it is, generally speaking the better. Kunzite can fade in strong sunlight and may fade in any case over time so it's best to get one that's highly saturated. If somebody tells you that Kunzite won't fade (ie. Rocks and Co), please ignore them. There's no way to predict if a gem will fade or not.

With Morganite it can be found in a peach or pink colourway. The pink can be exactly the same colour as Kunzite. I don't believe, in general, there are fading issues with Morganite.

Neither are a particular hard gemstones so you will need to take care with them. However, as a going out ring both are ok. A Morganite pendants could be a daily wear piece as it less likely to be knocked etc.

Happy shopping and I hope you find something. If you do, please post photos!

Hi Vikki and welcome to the jewellery addicts part of the forum!

I agree 100% with what Meeshoo says. In case you don't know, Meeshoo's our resident gem expert. Ask her anything and she'll give you an accurate, honest and totally unbiased opinion. Just don't ask for any of her vast collection because you've no chance - she's extremely generous at sharing her knowledge and expertise but she's not very generous when it comes to sharing her gems unfortunately! :giggle:

Hi Vikki and welcome to the jewellery addicts part of the forum!

I agree 100% with what Meeshoo says. In case you don't know, Meeshoo's our resident gem expert. Ask her anything and she'll give you an accurate, honest and totally unbiased opinion. Just don't ask for any of her vast collection because you've no chance - she's extremely generous at sharing her knowledge and expertise but she's not very generous when it comes to sharing her gems unfortunately! :giggle:

And she also has very good hearing!!! You can run but you can't hide KB! :giggle:

Oops! I take it I'm disinherited again then :sad:

Vikki - as you can see, bling can actually make you delusional! Our KB is sometimes sane but we have had to send in the men with bling encrusted white coats on occasions. Clearly she's not taking her meds at the mo.

Hello and welcome, Vicki!

Rocks & Co do seem to have a very good selection of morganite at the moment, and it's an excellent colour; they also have some decent kunzite. Some of the gems are well cut and some are not; you just have to be careful. The prices are also inconsistent, and can be (but aren't always) sky-high.

Gems TV are also OK for kunzite and morganite, although their prices have gone up of late and their gold weights have gone down. Unlike the other channels, Gems TV do have quite a few pieces set in rose gold, which really sets off the colour of morganite.

TJC are good, but they have only a few kunzites and the very occasional morganite. Their designs tend to be very plain and simple, so great if that's what you want; but if you want something more ornate, you're better off with the others.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late thank you, my internet connection seems to have an aversion to damp weather :S

Fab replies, thank you and thank you for the warm welcome :) ... I seem to all of a sudden want to become a magpie and start buying jewellry ha ha

x

Sorry for the late thank you, my internet connection seems to have an aversion to damp weather :S

Fab replies, thank you and thank you for the warm welcome :) ... I seem to all of a sudden want to become a magpie and start buying jewellry ha ha

x

Good for you Vikki a girl needs some bling in her life. Just don't buy from this lot!

Hello:)

Hi guys

I've just read what you have to say about R&C and got a bit upset - didn't think they were a bunch of... (don't really want to say this while introducing myself).
I got in to gems not long ago and already, I'm discusted. I thought it was gonna be someting special on a side (little girly thing) and it turnes out it's a sham:puke: Thanks to R&C

Hope you will have a space for one more, a bit lost newbie:headbang:

Anyway, it's nice that there are people who can advise and help lost causes like myself to make it a pleasure again

:happy:
Enjoy your weekend.
:happy:

Hello:)

Hi guys

Another lost newbie...
So happy I found this forum. Unfortunately to late, and already managed to do myself some damage by buying from R&C. Well... hope not to much damage. I'll see what the valuation comes at:thinking2:

I'm still a bit lost with the starting prices... Where do they come from? I checked out The Jewellery Channel and they seem to be high as well comparing to the final price.
I really don't want to be pain but don't know a lot yet hence the question.

I was really dissapointed with comments on R&C ans it looks like it's a bunch of... (don't want to say this while introducing myself)
I hoped my interest in gems was gonna be someting girly on the side for me but now I know I don't know enough yet to be collecting on my own.

Very good to have you guys here. Hope they is a space for one more, lost newbie in here :flower:

Have a lovely weekend.

Sorry if I posted this for the second time, the first one didn't seem to appear, but maybe it's just me :confused:

Latest posts

Back