WARNING charging your stored credit card without authorisation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

M

Meeshoo

Guest Shopper
*** W A R N I N G ***

Yesterday I was mooching round the Rocks & Co website and found some Brazilian Rubellite - do you recall Tony saying how it was impossible to get now? So I wanted to look at the details but it wouldn't let me look at them -the window wouldn't open - so I put it in my basket to see if I could look at it from there. That worked and the window with more details opened up.

AT NO POINT DID I CHECK IT OUT OR ENTER MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS.

Why would I? I don't buy from Rocks and Co. and I certainly don't need any Rubellite.

This morning I got an email saying that my order has been dispatched and the money taken from my credit card. Over £200!!!!

I've just spoken to their CS team who said "don't know what's happened, you placed this order on 23rd October". I explained that there's no way that I placed the order on that date. I haven't been on their website for ages and it was only yesterday that I put it in my basket.

She said she would look into and come back to me. She did phone back within 10 minutes. They have no idea what's happened but have agreed to cancel the dispatch and refund my card. I have asked them to delete all my card details from their website as quite clearly I don't want my card being authorised without me knowing about it.

So please be careful. Don't leave anything in your basket overnight, even by accident. This may just be a glitch but it can be an expensive glitch and has caused much hassle today.

Hi Meeshoo,

First please accept my apologies.

I have looked into the issue you have stated and there was a glitch in relation to a previously checked out item.

Due to that order never being charged and despatched (e.g. the item was removed from your basket after check out, but before it could be charged and shipped), that basket was given back (as apposed to a new one being issued) and was still in the state of “checked out”

As you added an item yesterday, the despatch system today would have picked it up and processed it as the basket status would indicate it can be charged and despatched.

As I type, this is now being worked on and will be fixed shortly,

To confirm, what you have requested from customer service has been done.

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
Andrew
Rocks & Co. COO

Andrew - do you think it's appropriate you posting this on an open forum? You are contravening Data Protection by discussing anything to do with my orders, or lack thereof, on here.

Hi all
Thanks for the warning Meeshoo!

I am very surprised by this, I thought that shopping channels are not allowed store to store card details unless its via a secure access your account with a password ( QVC pin on the TV red button)

It's very worrying. I have had weird emails from Gems TV in the past asking me to check out my basket on items that just looked at. It seems that R&C are experiencing the same type of problems.

Sapphireblue

I have just looked and can't now see that my card is stored at all, and the items I did buy in the past are no longer listed. They were there a few weeks ago because I looked.

There are also errors on most if not every page. It all really need attention...plus the time it takes to load which can be up to half an hour!

Andrew - do you think it's appropriate you posting this on an open forum? You are contravening Data Protection by discussing anything to do with my orders, or lack thereof, on here.

Please don't think this is a flame first post, I used to post on here all the time but forgot my details, I am trying to play devil's advacote here.

Maybe Andrew only posted about your order as you initally openly talked about it on the open forum?

Thanks for letting us know about the bug though, that sort of thing really shouldn't happen.

PJ

Please don't think this is a flame first post, I used to post on here all the time but forgot my details, I am trying to play devil's advacote here.

Maybe Andrew only posted about your order as you initally openly talked about it on the open forum?

Thanks for letting us know about the bug though, that sort of thing really shouldn't happen.

PJ

I take your point PJ but the rules of Data Protection apply and Rocks and Co cannot discuss my account with anybody other than myself. Those aren't my rules. Even if I gave every single detail of my order on this forum, a Company is not allowed to impart any information it may have - especially knowing that a forum is read by many. As a Company, they should have responded via PM, email, letter or phone. Responding on an open forum in this manner is unacceptable.

It might have been acceptable to say "sorry, it was a glitch and is now being rectified" without going into detail. It's the detail that makes this response entirely inappropriate.

I only posted to warn others. It's not advisable if there are glitches in a system that allows a card to be charged, to have your details stored with them. I appreciated that it was a glitch but a fairly serious glitch. I don't believe it can only be me it's happened to.

I don't know how long you've been reading this forum but this is the second time that Andrew has chosen to respond to me via the open forum rather than use other means and it's totally unacceptable. I'm quite sure that Andrew has spoken with the CS Representative I dealt with about this and so will know that whilst I wasn't happy, at no point did I rant, rave, be offensive or shout. I was firm about what I wanted i.e. an immediate refund and all my card details deleted but that was it. The CS Rep was excellent and very helpful and so I find his response on this forum wholly inappropriate.

Last edited:
I take your point PJ but the rules of Data Protection apply and Rocks and Co cannot discuss my account with anybody other than myself. Those aren't my rules. Even if I gave every single detail of my order on this forum, a Company is not allowed to impart any information it may have - especially knowing that a forum is read by many. As a Company, they should have responded via PM, email, letter or phone. Responding on an open forum in this manner is unacceptable.

It might have been acceptable to say "sorry, it was a glitch and is now being rectified" without going into detail. It's the detail that makes this response entirely inappropriate.

I only posted to warn others. It's not advisable if there are glitches in a system that allows a card to be charged, to have your details stored with them. I appreciated that it was a glitch but a fairly serious glitch. I don't believe it can only be me it's happened to.

I don't know how long you've been reading this forum but this is the second time that Andrew has chosen to respond to me via the open forum rather than use other means and it's totally unacceptable. I'm quite sure that Andrew has spoken with the CS Representative I dealt with about this and so will know that whilst I wasn't happy, at no point did I rant, rave, be offensive or shout. I was firm about what I wanted i.e. an immediate refund and all my card details deleted but that was it. The CS Rep was excellent and very helpful and so I find his response on this forum wholly inappropriate.

Sorry I didn't know it had been the second time, I am sure he had no malise but as you say it would have been better to have Pm'ed you, I guess he doesn't want to get drawn into things when he knows his company is in the wrong, feels like he is trying to make it clear to eveyone he is doing the right thing rather than how he should have in private.

probably sounds like I am contridicting myself, I am not meaning too as I said in th first post I did thing it was wrong.

PJ

Sorry to contradict, Meeshoo, but actually the DPA states that it is acceptable for a company to release information if

'the personal data have already been made public by the data subject'

So because you had discussed the order being placed, it was not a breach of DPA for Andrew to comment on the same.

HOWEVER, it is tremendously bad form on his part to come on here and share all of that info. Surely he could have come on here and made a public apology, which I can absolutely understand him wishing to do, said that he has looked into it and has further information that he will PM to you. You could then have made the choice whether to share this information or not.

Sorry if this seems pedantic, but I have to know DPA inside out as I run my own business which now includes a mail order side to it, and you would be surprised how many people contact me to claim that the information on the picking list in their parcel breaches DPA. I wouldn't mind, but it merely states the items that are in the parcel, and the name and address of the person who made the order! It drives me bananas!

No worries Sheffield Owl but as you'll see I didn't mention any previous order in my post above or put in anything personal. I simply stated that I put something in my basket and then it checked itself out! Therefore for him to refer to my order history with Rocks and Co IS contradicting the DPA. As you'll know, there's a fine line between what they can and can't say and if in doubt, they should say nothing.

I totally agree with you that there was absolutely no reason for him to put these details on here. I agree he could simply have apologised and said he was going to PM me. Much much much better business practice.

This is the second time he's refused to deal with me direct and has preferred to put things on the forum.

As you say Meesh this is the second time AndrewCOO has publicised his reply to you on a personal matter. Whilst I appreciate he may not have been able to pm you directly and he may have had a genuine intention to re-assure you......but to my mind it also smacks of a public relations exercise!

A simple :phone:eek:r :mail: (email) from him would have been better imho.

This is shocking - I've been wondering whether to risk buying from this comany again as I had 2 bad experiences (and only 2 orders) but now I definitley won't try them again!

I guess the thing to do would be if you post something like this again, put in big bold letters at the bottom please reply in PM not in public! (Us men are not the brightest font colour in the forum and need stuff spelt out!

PJ

Latest posts

Back